Posted

Has anybody had the hype of a venue and been disappointed when they got there .a couple of years ago our crew went to a venue in Stratford-upon-Avon can't recall the place but it was central, it looked like a library from the outside inside small brightly lit room .wouldn't go again but bought a couple of tunes .and the flip from this place we went to the sink in Liverpool small underground club with masses of atmosphere dark and brick arched dancefloor, has anybody any stories ,good or bad 👎

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 21
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allways enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere in Bidds tho off most people’s radar !

The windmill club Rotherham , derby assembly rooms and A niter in Sheffield which was A sports hall complete with badminton markings all lacking in atmosphere , guess I just liked the seedy venues .

Our thing is best in the near dark without a doubt. No handbags to trip over at the best places anyway. 😉

Posted
2 hours ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Has anybody had the hype of a venue and been disappointed when they got there .a couple of years ago our crew went to a venue in Stratford-upon-Avon can't recall the place but it was central, it looked like a library from the outside inside small brightly lit room .wouldn't go again but bought a couple of tunes .and the flip from this place we went to the sink in Liverpool small underground club with masses of atmosphere dark and brick arched dancefloor, has anybody any stories ,good or bad 👎

Do you mean the arts centre? I thought that was pretty decent to be fair.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 minutes ago, Stephen Houghton said:

The art centre doesn't sound like the one we went ,I'm getting old now memory not like it was last week 🤔

Ain't we all😁 probably biased but oddfellows never disappoints. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Yep I've heard good vibes about oddfellows, but just some venues just don't do it ,they can be too light no atmosphere, and the tunes .but some like the one we went a couple of yrs ago in the Wigan courts .the first one down in the basement brill feeling as soon as you went in ,ex tunes and dimmly lit ,very memorable. But just some don't do it for us .

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

The windmill club Rotherham , derby assembly rooms and A niter in Sheffield which was A sports hall complete with badminton markings all lacking in atmosphere , guess I just liked the seedy venues .

• Up vote 3
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Middleton civic centre was fantastic,  dark, seedy, brilliant then Middleton Arena was the complete opposite   Glass, well lit, plastic everywhere.  Horrible 

Exactly the same happened to Nantwich civic centre.  

Oh lord what's happening to your people.  When will they ever learn. Leave things alone 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

• Up vote 5
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

It's all about the lighting (Darkness!) Health and safety has ruined that.

Always a running argument towards the later years at a venue I used to run about the fire exit down lights on each side of the room - They didn't understand about 'ambiance' 

You shouldn't be able to see the other side of the hall! No one wants to be seen dancing......Do they? :huh:

Dark = Atmosphere!

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Nice to hear all your comments good and bad ,once you get the vibe and atmosphere it becomes memorable. Its not all about this place or that place ,but just some places we'll attended or not don't do it ,

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Yeh if a venue is too light it gives the feel of a wedding reception (Weddings can be good if you're there for a wedding of course) :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Tony's Empress Ballroom ... now that was dark, there were corners in there you couldn't see using military grade image intensifiers 😄 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
50 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

Tony's Empress Ballroom ... now that was dark, there were corners in there you couldn't see using military grade image intensifiers 😄 

Martyn.  100 % agree my friend 👍 spent 5 hours one night there looking for Big Roger. And he was not the smallest or easiest person to miss as you know 🤣🤣🤣

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Remember going to St Ives in the small dark room (only lit by the cueing/record box lights) - I was chatting away to a mate (think it was Daz Dakin or Mad Mick) got up to have a dance, sat back down and continued my conversation for a couple of minutes until I realised he had gone for a dance himself and someone else had sat down in his place. The back room at The Fleet in Peterborough was much the same. Dx

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 02/06/2021 at 22:00, Hornet said:

Those toilets and re stocking the bar with a shopping trolly mid way through, only added to the ambiance. 

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 02/06/2021 at 22:00, Hornet said:

And Sheridan's.

Went to The Metrodome in Barnsley just the once. Sports halls with concrete floors aren't for me.

Hugh

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

The Torch had atmosphere, and of course Wigan well kinda, also Tiffs Newcastle... both downstairs and up.

Nowadays Kings H, Ivo or Burgess hall as it is now, Grosvenor rooms never fails if your old school (I am) Northern line at Alford H Warrington is great too.

I guess it will depend on the music and DJ`s cos if the dancefloor is good and its belting along then the rest is just a blur.

Edited by Petesi
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Pow Wow in Sheffield had a great vibe, in both of the venues that I can remember going to.  Remember going to an after-party at Club 60, which is basically an illegal drinking establishment (no license) in a downstairs cellar which you could only get to through a printing shop 🤫.  The cellar was not in the best of upkeep and looked like what I can only imagine the Cavern in Liverpool would have been like in the 60s.  Absolutely brilliant vibe in there; the only problem being I had to leave at about 5am to get home to take the son to play football on the Sunday morning 😴

• Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 06/06/2021 at 17:48, Petesi said:

The Torch had atmosphere, and of course Wigan well kinda, also Tiffs Newcastle... both downstairs and up.

Nowadays Kings H, Ivo or Burgess hall as it is now, Grosvenor rooms never fails if your old school (I am) Northern line at Alford H Warrington is great too.

I guess it will depend on the music and DJ`s cos if the dancefloor is good and its belting along then the rest is just a blur.

Grosvenor rooms is great, amazing floor too - like a sheet of glass!

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. Making A Good Venue Into A Great Venue ?
    All About The Soul by gibber on Sun 04 Jun 2006
    • 6 / 1120
    • on 07 Jun 2006
    • 1 / 735
    • mike on 02 Apr 2013
    • 10 / 630
    • Happy Feet on 08 May 2021
  2. A Few Good Tunes, Good Nick, Good Prices
    Record Sales by nosferatu on Fri 09 Mar 2012
    • 1 / 882
    • nosferatu on 09 Mar 2012
  3. Spalding. Small Venue