Cinema - Film / Movie Talk

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Napoleon the other week I thought was boring and too long, was really looking forward to it but ended up being restless couldn’t get comfortable and think it is Ridley Scott’s worst film. Probably better if watched at home. Can fully recommend the 3 musketeers part one on to now possibly Netflix ? Excellent and sticks to the story looking forward to part 2. This week wonka expected to be average but was excellent thoroughly enjoyable funny and clever Timothy chalomet was excellent as wonka. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This week the hold overs this is an excellent film really enjoyed it, 

the end where we started (Jodie comer) for me failed to live up to what ai is supposed to be. Can’t fault the acting but there was just something missing.

Social source share

French films and programmes are extremely good - I think they're filmed and staged very differently. Well, I like them. 

Has Mesrine been mentioned previously? Part one and two are very good viewing imo. I might watch them again this weekend if nothing else comes up. Watch out for his other films too - I'll post another up another time. 

Mesrine Part 1: Killer Instinct (2008) - IMDb

Social source share

22 hours ago, Peter99 said:

French films and programmes are extremely good - I think they're filmed and staged very differently. Well, I like them. 

Has Mesrine been mentioned previously? Part one and two are very good viewing imo. I might watch them again this weekend if nothing else comes up. Watch out for his other films too - I'll post another up another time. 

Now he was a naughty boy!

another good ending and 'les flics' do take the dog to vets!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 27/01/2024 at 17:27, Peter99 said:

Hi Peter My favourite French cop series is Braquo, there's 4 seasons altogether, if you don't mind your TV cops bending the rules when it suits in order to catch the bad guys, then this lot will be right up your street, violent, seedy drama, what's not to like. I watched them on DVD, I'm not 100% sure but they could be on Amazon Prime.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Simon T said:

Now he was a naughty boy!

another good ending and 'les flics' do take the dog to vets!!!

He's nearly as bad as you Simon. 🫣

Daniel Auteuil is probably my favourite French actor. He's made some brilliant movies, I'll post 36th Precinct this time. If you haven't seen it I'm happy to recommend it. Check out his other stuff too. 

Le genre cinématographique français is where it's at - it's just very different to UK/American stuff. Trempez vos orteils dedans.

Pierre

🤗

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Hi Peter My favourite French cop series is Braquo, there's 4 seasons altogether, if you don't mind your TV cops bending the rules when it suits in order to catch the bad guys, then this lot will be right up your street, violent, seedy drama, what's not to like. I watched them on DVD, I'm not 100% sure but they could be on Amazon Prime.

That Sir is a very good shout. 🙂

I watched those, the female cop is 😍 😍 Brilliant series.

Peter

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

He's nearly as bad as you Simon. 🫣

Daniel Auteuil is probably my favourite French actor. He's made some brilliant movies, I'll post 36th Precinct this time. If you haven't seen it I'm happy to recommend it. Check out his other stuff too. 

Le genre cinématographique français is where it's at - it's just very different to UK/American stuff. Trempez vos orteils dedans.

Pierre

🤗

One of my favourite Daniel Auteuil films and one of his earliest ones is the classic Jean De Florette & the follow up to it Manon Des Sources. Gerard Depardieu stars in it as well.  Like you say a brilliant actor. I collect World Cinema and Daniel Auteuil features in quite a few of them.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

One of my favourite Daniel Auteuil films and one of his earliest ones is the classic Jean De Florette & the follow up to it Manon Des Sources. Gerard Depardieu stars in it as well.  Like you say a brilliant actor. I collect World Cinema and Daniel Auteuil features in quite a few of them.

Both wonderful films. A from around the same time, The Gory of my Father - little girl plays the piano and farts a lot?

Social source share

11 hours ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

I collect World Cinema 

Me too, My interest in World Cinema began purely by chance in the 80's coming home late one night and catching the French film Diva on the BBC, hooked from the start by the moody opening scenes and soundtrack. The above mentioned John De Floret cemented my passion. 

A couple I'd recommend which I've mentioned previously would be the comedy La Famille Belier and the above mentioned Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu together in 36. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

Me too, My interest in World Cinema began purely by chance in the 80's coming home late one night and catching the French film Diva on the BBC, hooked from the start by the moody opening scenes and soundtrack. The above mentioned John De Floret cemented my passion. 

A couple I'd recommend which I've mentioned previously would be the comedy La Famille Belier and the above mentioned Daniel Auteuil and Gerard Depardieu together in 36. 

I'll look out for La Famille Belier. I thoroughly enjoyed 36 as well. Cinema Paradiso was my introduction into it.

Flattop Tony on soul source lent me a load of the more obscure titles like The Ordeal, Night of the Sunflowers, Timecrimes and the classic Vengeance trilogy. 

Social source share

World Cinema throws up a whole new experience in film viewing, as has been said my fellow SS'ers above. I think the French stuff is my favourite - it's just a really different experience. I don't have the right words or terminology, and I'm not as learnED as some of the other posters, but to me it's just more true to life, the characters aren't always glamorous, for example female actors are often sweaty, no perfect teeth, they're just real. That's not a great  example from me, but you know what I mean. 

I've seen some amazing Belgian, Dutch, African stuff, along with my love of French produced stuff. I wonder whether World Cinema should have it's own thread - particularly as not everyone is a fan. Lots of people can't get past the subtitles. What does everyone else think?

Mike, it's your shout, what do you think - we could include Welsh stuff! 😋

Peter

Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

World Cinema throws up a whole new experience in film viewing, as has been said my fellow SS'ers above. I think the French stuff is my favourite - it's just a really different experience. I don't have the right words or terminology, and I'm not as learnED as some of the other posters, but to me it's just more true to life, the characters aren't always glamorous, for example female actors are often sweaty, no perfect teeth, they're just real. That's not a great  example from me, but you know what I mean. 

I've seen some amazing Belgian, Dutch, African stuff, along with my love of French produced stuff. I wonder whether World Cinema should have it's own thread - particularly as not everyone is a fan. Lots of people can't get past the subtitles. What does everyone else think?

Mike, it's your shout, what do you think - we could include Welsh stuff! 😋

Peter

Peter, you've just described my wife there, apart from the French bit.😂

Social source share

On 29/01/2024 at 13:16, Peter99 said:

African stuff,

I've only watched a couple of African films, very early in my world cinema journey I watched the brilliant The Gods Must be Crazy, the sequel which I can't remember the name of not quite as good, enjoyed Tsotsi.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just watched The Monuments Men with George Clooney & Matt Damon.  (On BBC2 last night but I found it on the iplayer).  It's about all the artefacts looted by the Nazis during WW2 & the Allied efforts to recover them. You might find it a bit slow to start with but stick with it - it's a good film - very interesting & well worth watching. 👍

Edited by Kathryn Magson
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 07/01/2023 at 11:56, Daved said:

I saw I Wanna Dance With Somebody last night and was very pleasantly surprised. It was more of tribute to Whitney Houston and focussed more on the music rather than the drugs, etc. The songs were great, especially the early stuff and the covers before she got a record deal. The background soundtrack includes some great songs from Stevie, Chaka and Luther. I saw that Rodney Jerkins was the man responsible in the opening credits so I knew it'd be good. It also featured a brief cameo of an actress playing Anita Baker. Superb performance from Stanley Tucci too as Clive Davis. 

Yes it’s excellent ,went to the cinema to see it 

Social source share

On 06/02/2024 at 18:08, Jessie Pinkman said:

I watched The Greatest Night In Pop at the weekend on Netflix.

It's a feature length documentary on the making of the "We are the world" single in 1985, from the writing of the song with Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson. Selling the idea to Quincy Jones as producer and then sorting out all the stars to sing on it and what part would suit each one of them.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bob Dylans contribution, Stevie Wonder was great with him.

Well Recommended. 5*****

Yes, it was brilliant. I got quite sentimental watching it. Al Jarreau singing Day O, as a tribute to Harry Belafonte, and everyone joining in was hilarious. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Windlesoul said:

If anyone's of my generation, you may be interested in this commentary just up on my blog. Basically a celebration of one of the biggest movies (and pulp books) of the 1970s https://windlefreelance.com/2024/02/15/a-toast-to-childhood-spielberg-and-spanish-ladies/

JAWS IMAGE.jpg

Thanks for that Mark. Really enjoyable. It's still in my top 10 list and I never tire of it. I've read the book too and it was excellent. It goes into much more detail about the science behind the behaviours of sharks.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Daved said:

Thanks for that Mark. Really enjoyable. It's still in my top 10 list and I never tire of it. I've read the book too and it was excellent. It goes into much more detail about the science behind the behaviours of sharks.

Cheers, and glad you enjoyed it. Nice to know I’m in the company of like-minded folk! 

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Simon T said:

I honestly found it as disturbing as walking through the entrance to an empty Auschwitz-Birkenau at the crack of dawn before the coachloads arrived. 

I apparently didn't utter a word for the entire 6 hours we were at the two sites ... :(

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that thinks that Henry Cavill should fill Daniel Craig's boots as 007 , I can confirm that after watching him in "Argylle" that he really doesn't have what it takes to play the role.

"Argylle" is a pleasant enough waste of an hour or two , but it ain't a Bond class outing by any means ... :rolleyes:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

"Poor Things" is picking up all sorts of Nominations and Awards. Emma Stone is winning awards as well though I found her character slightly annoying at the start. There's lots of weird and wonderful things happening. One of my all time favourite films is Jeunet's "Delicatessen", this film makes Delicatessen seem quite normal. I can't make my mind up if it's totally brilliant or totally bonkers. Mark Ruffalo seems to be having a ball. I'll bet he'd have done this film for free if he had to. I know I would. lol.  I need to watch it again.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 19/02/2024 at 17:27, Mark B said:

Latest trip to cinema to see American fiction really enjoyed this film very clever and extremely funny, 

"American Fiction" I've just watched this film and thought it was great. Pleasantly surprised to hear Ace Spectrum's "Without you" playing over the opening credits.

Social source share

On 07/03/2024 at 17:31, Jessie Pinkman said:

"Poor Things" is picking up all sorts of Nominations and Awards. Emma Stone is winning awards as well though I found her character slightly annoying at the start. There's lots of weird and wonderful things happening. One of my all time favourite films is Jeunet's "Delicatessen", this film makes Delicatessen seem quite normal. I can't make my mind up if it's totally brilliant or totally bonkers. Mark Ruffalo seems to be having a ball. I'll bet he'd have done this film for free if he had to. I know I would. lol.  I need to watch it again.

Just watched "Poor Things" , a perfect antedote to a miserable soggy day ... 😍

A very worthy Oscar winning performance by Emma Stone , a must see movie no shadow of a doubt ... :thumbup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I've a couple of films to recommend. Two of them have my favourite Danish actor in - he's in a few big movies these days. All three of these films are quite dark, violent, but in line with the bleak story lines. If you're into worldwide viewing, and like dark thrillers, then I think you'll like these. 

Mads Mikkelsons' debut film - "Pusher". There is also a "Pusher 2".

Then over to Belgium for "Bullhead". 

I'd rate at least two of these in my top fifty films.

Over to you guys; I'm on the lookout for recommendations too.

Happy Easter everyone.

Peter

🙂

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Hi All

I've a couple of films to recommend. Two of them have my favourite Danish actor in - he's in a few big movies these days. All three of these films are quite dark, violent, but in line with the bleak story lines. If you're into worldwide viewing, and like dark thrillers, then I think you'll like these. 

Then over to Belgium for "Bullhead". 

I'd rate at least two of these in my top fifty films.

Over to you guys; I'm on the lookout for recommendations too.

Happy Easter everyone.

Peter

🙂

There is a third Pusher,  Pusher III: I'm The Angel Of Death

warning: very violent

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Simon T said:

There is a third Pusher,  Pusher III: I'm The Angel Of Death

warning: very violent

Mm, I haven't seen that Simon. I'll check it out, Mad's is only in the first one isn't he - I'm guessing he's not in the third.

Have you seen Bullhead too?

Social source share

Hi All

Loved 'Another Round' but thought 'Hannibal' was rubbish

🙂

Social source share

Mm, I haven't seen that Simon. I'll check it out, Mad's is only in the first one isn't he - I'm guessing he's not in the third.

Have you seen Bullhead too?

I have, and would revisit, but off out to MacDonalds....................... for fillet of fish 🙂

Social source share

First visit to the cinema in a while, yesterday when to see DRIFT which I enjoyed. Very moving story that slowly builds up to it what happenned in this woman's life, slowly teasing us a long the way. Two solid female performances.  Indie British film for anyone interested.  DRIFT TRAILER

Next two films that I still haven't seen which I will do next week, the Bob Marley One World film and Zone of Interest.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

A weekend trip to the cinema to watch Dune 2

Yep and it's as they say, for us, one of the best cinematic experiences that we have had

blown away

Wow! That's a 10 out of 10 review Mike, at least by the sound of it.

I haven't been to the cinema since 1996! That was also when I last went on holiday.

The film was The DaVinci Code - not great really, although I thought the book was excellent.

Peter 

🙂

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!