Jump to content

The Gabriels at Glastonbury


Recommended Posts

1st got an airing and great reception at upfront venues a couple of years ago as a new release that quickly sold out  (12’’ only). Great to see its now getting wider appeal & plays , helped I guess by the availability of more recent reissue on coloured vinyl  . 

Edited by Andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

A yone know who the backing vocalists were? I'm always interested to know that and can't find the info anywhere. Any help much appreciated!

BTW......Jacob reminds me of the late, great David Peaston in so many Ways.

 

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Up vote 3
Link to comment
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Mark R said:

A yone know who the backing vocalists were? I'm always interested to know that and can't find the info anywhere. Any help much appreciated!

BTW......Jacob reminds me of the late, great David Peaston in so.many Ways.

 

Cheers,

Mark R

I had the same thought and quickly dug out 'Can I' to have a listen

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

Wasn't watching Glastonbury as I was down in the London Stadium with Anthony , John , Chad and Flea ... :thumbup:

But it was their backing band actually gave the performance of the evening though ... "Anderson .Paak and the Free Nationals"

Superb funky soulful dancers every one ...  if you get the chance go see them ....  :wink:

Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulfusion said:

Just caught a bit of Diana Ross at Glasto. Unfortunately one word - embarrassing.

I feel the same about Kendrick Lamar..opinions hey, there a bugger.

Link to comment
Social source share

2 hours ago, Kenb said:

I feel the same about Kendrick Lamar..opinions hey, there a bugger.

More Today Than Yesterday, who on this earth told her that it was a better choice than say Do I Love You , blue eyed Northern Soul / Beach Music classic ,the look on about 99% of the audience faces was what's this ? ,I retired to the mancave before I was sent there ,pants

Link to comment
Social source share

I also thought Lianne La Havas was excellent. I think she has got a very distinctive voice. 

I cringed watching Diana Ross though. Fair play, she is a legend, has hit the songbook and had the crowd joining in......but at age 78 she was struggling to hit some notes and was out of key most of the time. 

Link to comment
Social source share

The whole performance by the Gabriels, which lasts about 40 minutes, is now available on BBC I-player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej34mb/play/avqn6q/p0c8yk3s

A great variety of styles, but well worth watching to the end, with Jacob Lusk giving a powerful performance of The  Way We Were (best since John Edwards, Willie Hutch and Gladys Knight of course); a medley with "You Were Supposed To Love Me"(?).

And here is his American Idol version of You're All I Need To Get By from 2011.

 

Link to comment
Social source share

20 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Wasn't watching Glastonbury as I was down in the London Stadium with Anthony , John , Chad and Flea ... :thumbup:

But it was their backing band actually gave the performance of the evening though ... "Anderson .Paak and the Free Nationals"

Superb funky soulful dancers every one ...  if you get the chance go see them ....  :wink:

Anderson.Paak is a class act, check the LP's out! 👍

 

Cheers,

Mark R

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

On 26/06/2022 at 20:02, Soulfusion said:

Just caught a bit of Diana Ross at Glasto. Unfortunately one word - embarrassing.

I would add a second word, unsurprisingly.  Lets face it she never had a great voice, therefore time will only diminish it.   

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log in now!


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.