Soul Revolution - 24th Feb

ascap

• Replies 69
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yeah it was very well attended and enjoyable .. I was up and down the stairs in search of some Modern soul..alas I could not find any .. had a quick chat with Arthur Fenn , but he said " I'm gonna play Northern Simon " so I left at just before 4am in search of food .but yep a very good niter , if lacking a bit in diversity for someone like me .. Well done Ian and James etc :)

Simon

Just got back to Geordieland, feet throbbing, knackered and I think my brain's chaffed or something.

Mr Trouble deserves respect for pulling this off - if anyone left disatisfied they must've turned up at the wrong do.

AMAZING night. Stayed in the Northern room for the duration...if there's been a better 7 hours of black music played anywhere ever in one go I wish I'd have been there because this night was the dog's nuts. Val played a perfect warm up spot (think we got to the room just in time to hear the Masqueraders - How...perfect timing and she kept the sounds on that level for the rest of her spot) had the room heaving just right for James to come on and clump us all around the head for an hour and a bit. Butch dropped a 70's set from heaven which included the oft wrongly chided New World, the now classic Ellipsis, Chain Reaction, a bit of funk from Rokk and BAB as well as the monster that is Mellow Madness plus some more stuff that rounded up about 30(?) mins of sheer 70's class. Arthur kept the standard sky high with the likes of Bobby Rich, and Ice (and many more...memory's failing now) and Mick played a cracking set - the Guiness must've been working by that point as it's a bit of a blur, though he did play my request - The New Wanderers - Let me Render My Service - which was very nice of him and sounded perfect at something minutes past five am on a Sunday morning.

Can't remember much more right now...off to find my bed sleep3.gif

Again, all involved, take a bow. Some playlists would be good :)

Just got back to Geordieland, feet throbbing, knackered and I think my brain's chaffed or something.

Mr Trouble deserves respect for pulling this off - if anyone left disatisfied they must've turned up at the wrong do.

AMAZING night. Stayed in the Northern room for the duration...if there's been a better 7 hours of black music played anywhere ever in one go I wish I'd have been there because this night was the dog's nuts. Val played a perfect warm up spot (think we got to the room just in time to hear the Masqueraders - How...perfect timing and she kept the sounds on that level for the rest of her spot) had the room heaving just right for James to come on and clump us all around the head for an hour and a bit. Butch dropped a 70's set from heaven which included the oft wrongly chided New World, the now classic Ellipsis, Chain Reaction, a bit of funk from Rokk and BAB as well as the monster that is Mellow Madness plus some more stuff that rounded up about 30(?) mins of sheer 70's class. Arthur kept the standard sky high with the likes of Bobby Rich, and Ice (and many more...memory's failing now) and Mick played a cracking set - the Guiness must've been working by that point as it's a bit of a blur, though he did play my request - The New Wanderers - Let me Render My Service - which was very nice of him and sounded perfect at something minutes past five am on a Sunday morning.

Can't remember much more right now...off to find my bed sleep3.gif

Again, all involved, take a bow. Some playlists would be good :)

Ahh dam I missed those sounds I was upstairs .. :rolleyes:

Yeah it was very well attended and enjoyable .. I was up and down the stairs in search of some Modern soul..alas I could not find any .. had a quick chat with Arthur Fenn , but he said " I'm gonna play Northern Simon " so I left at just before 4am in search of food .but yep a very good niter , if lacking a bit in diversity for someone like me .. Well done Ian and James etc :)

Simon

Like you said in your other post Simon you missed Butch's 70's half hour (or however long it was -could have been longer - seemed to fly by) I forgot to mention I'm sure he dropped Florence Trap into the mix too...and Joseph webster, Lil Major Williams and more..slowly coming back now. The emphasis was mainly on northern but there was enough 70's to keep me happy for sure. Veggie pasties were well nice too :rolleyes: Now I really am off to kip thumbsup.gif

Edited by J-Brew

Like you said in your other post Simon you missed Butch's 70's half hour (or however long it was -could have been longer - seemed to fly by) I forgot to mention I'm sure he dropped Florence Trap into the mix too...and Joseph webster, Lil Major Williams and more..slowly coming back now. The emphasis was mainly on northern but there was enough 70's to keep me happy for sure. Veggie pasties were well nice too :rolleyes: Now I really am off to kip :)

Yep got it all wrong again . I reckon he'll play a full modern set at Without Boundries thumbsup.gif

ps .Where were those pasties ?

Edited by Simon M

Just in the door, but what a fantastic night! its one of them nights when you need a clone of yourself to be in two places at once, upstairs was buzzing with a whole manner of diffenrt sounds, and downstairs was the same. will post more later when i've recovered a bit and me brain kicks into gear.

its one of them nights when you need a clone of yourself to be in two places at once,

Oh so true.....was expecting it to be something a bit different and wasn't disappointed.....

Don't normally do stairs but found myself climbing up for the funk room, some good spots in there and was even drawn a few times to Steve Cato's little gathering.....

I did say to Baz, I must be the only person on the scene that don't like a packed venue but although this was a packer, it didn't feel oppressive....loads of little corners to escape....

Got chatting to some of the people who came in locally by chance and got told by one man "you are so lucky to have this, and it's all over the country then?" "We've had a brilliant night and next time I ain't drinking so much, I think I'd last a bit longer"

He also asked how I'd found out about it and when's the next one....

Sorry James, I couldn't tell him when the next one is.... :)

Great great night, good to see so many open minded soul fans, very happy we were able to intigrate funk into a proper soul night with such ease. Wish i could have spent more time downstairs, what i did hear was amazing. It was nice to see normal people shocked at how good the music was and wanting to know more about it, fresh blood has got to be a good thing. So whens the next one.

Guest kid mohair

Well it was fooking superb night, must say we spent most the night in steve catos room and there were some quality tunes played in there, steves last spot absoloute class.......tried downstairs but it was heaving...... if it happens again we will defo be there...... well done james the hard work paid off in the end...hope yer train journey wasent to daunting rowly...we met some nice people there but i cant remember 1 name... rolleyes.gif take care all.

Guest wrighty

Ahh dam I missed those sounds I was upstairs .. angry.gif

u must have been up and down those stairs just at the wrong times simon coz i played florence trapp, rokk, new world and ellipsis upstairs too! :rolleyes: and as baz touched on the only downside was not being able to be in two places at once :shades: but all in all a great great night, top marks to trouble for taking this on and succeeding whistling.gif

u must have been up and down those stairs just at the wrong times simon coz i played florence trapp, rokk, new world and ellipsis upstairs too! :rolleyes: and as baz touched on the only downside was not being able to be in two places at once angry.gif but all in all a great great night, top marks to trouble for taking this on and succeeding whistling.gif

Yeah I was ian , i was even in the other room at the wrong time :shades: Its tough being a modern soulie LOL

Was thinking, Chris Morgan was playing some stuff more to your liking at 3am in the upstairs suite. Maybe he'll post up a playlist later...

Of course, the birthday boy was sleeping soundly in the bedroom at this point..... :rolleyes:

Obviously in the old days at Allniters it was easy to rely on Searling , Robin ,Adam etc etc to play mid 70's to 80's ..I'll stick to one room next time , and hope for the best , thumbsup.gif

Well it was fooking superb night, must say we spent most the night in steve catos room and there were some quality tunes played in there, steves last spot absoloute class.......tried downstairs but it was heaving...... if it happens again we will defo be there...... well done james the hard work paid off in the end...hope yer train journey wasent to daunting rowly...we met some nice people there but i cant remember 1 name... rolleyes.gif take care all.

Not too bad the Andy - save for the replacement bus service for the last 3rd of the trip cos of the engineering works!

A great night James - well done mate. :rolleyes: As others have said the only problem was not being able to been in two (or three) places at once.

And whoever was moaning on the other thread about too many "non-soulies" there. Leave off! there were a few - but definately only a few.... and they weren't any problem at all as far as i could see. They seemed to me to be respectful, well behaved and enjoying themselves. Or is that not allowed? Perhaps there should have been a questionaire on the door for them to fill in before they were allowed in.

1) Have you been to a soul night before? yes/no

2) If you like what you hear, do you promise faithfully to become 100% commited to soul music for the rest of your life or will this be a one off flirtation with the music and you'll probably drop it as soon as you go home?

................................................................................

................................................................................

Seems to me some people need to get over themselves.

Edited by Rowly
Guest James Trouble

I'm off on holiday now, about to leave for the airport, but before I go I'd like to say thank you so much to everyone who came. And without wanting to sound gushing or OTT, I felt honoured to have you all there. I'm lost for words to be honest, which is unusual. Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong all week did, and I was starting to wonder if the night was cursed, especially when we didn't have any decks in Steve's room and then the fuse blew in the main room and pretty much all my contingency plans in place got used!!!

The DJs in all rooms were amazing, the warm up was a great party in it's own right and a shout out to Yann, Andy Brazil and all the DJs for helping out there. The management at the Bedroom were top class and they all enjoyed a dance when they allowing us to carry on till 730 :rolleyes: And a special mention to Steve Cato who was a huge help in putting together the promotion.

There was one person who wasn't there who needs remembering as well, Simon Bendle. And if you're reading this Simon, I hope I proved you wrong?!?!?!?! boxing.gif RIP. We'll have an add up of the figures once I'm back from skiing and pass on the proceeds to Simon's kids.

The Revolution will continue, and I'll post full details as soon as I have them...

Now that is a fcuking do! And it proves that this music is far from dying or irrelevant to younger generations, it just needs framing in a cool, party environment and it can go right off.

600 / 700 people? young people! Girls!

And the best thing of all: no fcuking catagories or Northern Soul baggage, just 3 rooms of amazing vintage soul music.

I think the fact that it wasn't billed as a Northern do, it kept the 'traditional' (no offence to anyone meant) brigade away and meant the DJs seemed to play far less of the 'trad' oldies style northern I hear at many soul nights, and I've never enjoyed a 'northern' room as much. Butch & Mick H and others playing track after track of blinding funky soul, with a groove!

And that's just the soul room, the funk room was rocking all night, and as othes have said, Ian Wright just rocked the dance (sorry for rewinding your Hard Drivers mate, I am a menace ) as did Fryer, Rustler & the others.

And the real, real important icing on the cake was the 3rd room, where proper soul fans got to play stuff without worrying about filling dancefloors, but the quality was so high they actually did anyway.

Adam Leaver's sets in there were off the scale, and stuff you're just not going to hear out anywhere else - proper deep soulful music with no boundries. No catagory but pure soul.

If i wasn't a drugged up dancing maniac I would have happily stayed in that room all night.

In fact that's the only problem: you're always going to miss some great music, I doubt there's been a more interesting and varied collection of black music records (well, post 1965 records) in one place ever before.

Yet this was no trainspotte rs do, this was a stone party - everyone getting down to some of the best and most obscure & rarest records ever made.

I've been saying it for ages: there's definitely years left in this shit, but it needs Proper quality, fresh and interesting records from top DJs AND a party atmosphere / good club venue where young people will feel cool.

Just one or the other doesn't cut it anymore, to inspire people again a combination of both is needed, and this night was just that.

fcuking great effort, cheers, this is what I travel hundreds of miles for

Hat's off.

Guest Bearsoul

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING NIGHT, VENUE,PEOPLE,MUSIC.STILL ON A HIGH. WILL POST PLAYLISTS FOR DITCH BAR & SOUL REV TOMMORROW SIAN. IT WAS A REAL PLEASURE AND LOST COUNT OF FOLKS I'VE NOT SEEN FOR AGES. GET YERSELF TO THE NEXT ONE YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED. STAFF WERE BRILLIANT TOO ANDY THE MANAGER TOP BLOKE AND RACHEL ON BAR IN 'SOUL OR NOTHING' ROOM WAS A STAR . EVERY ROOM WAS BUZZING, REAL DIVERSITY IN PEOPLE AND DJs. WOW !!! JUST BRILLIANT ALL ROUND :wicked:

Now that is a fcuking do! And it proves that this music is far from dying or irrelevant to younger generations, it just needs framing in a cool, party environment and it can go right off.

600 / 700 people? young people! Girls!

And the best thing of all: no fcuking catagories or Northern Soul baggage, just 3 rooms of amazing vintage soul music.

I think the fact that it wasn't billed as a Northern do, it kept the 'traditional' (no offence to anyone meant) brigade away and meant the DJs seemed to play far less of the 'trad' oldies style northern I hear at many soul nights, and I've never enjoyed a 'northern' room as much. Butch & Mick H and others playing track after track of blinding funky soul, with a groove!

And that's just the soul room, the funk room was rocking all night, and as othes have said, Ian Wright just rocked the dance (sorry for rewinding your Hard Drivers mate, I am a menace ) as did Fryer, Rustler & the others.

And the real, real important icing on the cake was the 3rd room, where proper soul fans got to play stuff without worrying about filling dancefloors, but the quality was so high they actually did anyway.

Adam Leaver's sets in there were off the scale, and stuff you're just not going to hear out anywhere else - proper deep soulful music with no boundries. No catagory but pure soul.

If i wasn't a drugged up dancing maniac I would have happily stayed in that room all night.

In fact that's the only problem: you're always going to miss some great music, I doubt there's been a more interesting and varied collection of black music records (well, post 1965 records) in one place ever before.

Yet this was no trainspotte rs do, this was a stone party - everyone getting down to some of the best and most obscure & rarest records ever made.

I've been saying it for ages: there's definitely years left in this shit, but it needs Proper quality, fresh and interesting records from top DJs AND a party atmosphere / good club venue where young people will feel cool.

Just one or the other doesn't cut it anymore, to inspire people again a combination of both is needed, and this night was just that.

fcuking great effort, cheers, this is what I travel hundreds of miles for

Hat's off.

Think this post is pretty much hit the nail on the head, i just worte out a detailed review of the night only to have me broadband go t*ts up and lose it :angry:

But it was more on the same par as miks post only not as well written :wicked:

the birthday boy was sleeping soundly in the bedroom at this point..... :wicked:

I was going to find a red cap and jump up and down on the bed saying "how long are you going to feel like that for?" but thought i'd let him rest biggrin.gif

Guest Mr Smith

Fu*kin blinding weekend, best Soul do Ive ever been to, great mix of real soul, and by that i mean funk, northern, modern because its all soul music. Great stuff played at the warm up, too much good music played at the main venue, just too much going on in all 3 rooms, hard to be in 3 places at once. top marks James you maniac, hope you get some sleep on holiday, you deserve it!! All the djs played amzing sets, good to meet everyone there. Respect to all the dudes who flew in for the occasion. Can't wait for the next one!!

Was this the first proper funk and northern allnighter, i measn ive heard the odd funk record at northern do's before but nothing of the same calibre as what fryer, russ ian etc were banging out, nice to see soulies enjoying the funk stuff and vice versa.

:wicked:

Can only echo what everyone has said above. Fantastic night, some absolutely blinding music in all three rooms. Went upstairs with Sian and found ourselves dancing in the funk room - what a great crowd. Great young enthusiastic funksters having a great time. I remember thinking this must be the way the northern scene started - like minded young people with a passion for music. You could see it on their faces. The same applied to downstairs - fantastically diverse soul music from all the dj's. The floor was ramming all night. You've definately converted some people James. A young girl in the toilets said to me - wow what a great scene, everyone is so nice! She was only going home because she had work but said she was coming back for more. Like she said we are so lucky to have such a great night-life. Talking to some of the funksters - they said they came to the funk room every week but were amazed at the northern scene as they didnt really know what went on before.

The top floor was a bit more laid back but still found a square metre to dance on. The bar staff all friendly and the security did a great job. Had a great laugh with one of the bouncers - When a little table was accidentally knocked over and everyones drink landed on the floor he looked at me, shrugged and said "feng shui". I nearly spat my drink all over him.

To all involved - you deserve the praise you have so far recieved and I dont know how you are going to top this night. Open your minds and get down to this fantastic venue - you'll be glad you did.

I got a pm from Phil Shields asking me all about Soul Revolution, he was bored as it was a souless weekend in Belfast.....

I thought afterwards, that would have been good as a revue....

This is a copy of the pm, warts and all and my honest opinion to a friend......

Soul revolution was everything I expected it to be and more.

I knew to start with, being in the heart of Shoreditch in London and with James Trouble running it that there would be.....young people.... :shades: ....non soulies (funksters)..... :yes: and to get a large dancefloor in London is near on impossible.....

BUT, I was up for something very different and that was what I got.

We went in at 10pm, up a side entrance to the first room which was all wooden floor, a long bar and poles with tables around (hope you get the description).....I did hope at that point that it wasn't the main room....

Then we walked along a corridor to a sort of chill out room with a very tiny floor but room to dance wherever you felt (must be a London thing, I did the same at the 100 club).

It started filling VERY quickly but the main room downstairs didn't open till 11.30pm.....

It was fookin hot by 11.30 and couldn't wait to spread out a bit but people still kept coming.

We couldn't get a seat downstairs but managed to get a table to bung everything under and we sat on the top...

The room was quite long and sectioned, so that although it was heaving I didn't feel too oppressed.

I don't usually like a too packed venue and have got to the point in a packer where I go and sit in another part of a venue to get away from the crowd, even if it means no music.... :D

I found myself going up and down stairs more than I would normally but I found the pull of the funk room to be too much and spent quite a while, on my own, freaking out with the funky crowd (no one knew me).... :wicked:

Even the chill out room was rocking.....when me, Denise and some other soulie who attached himself to us went on the floor in there, it was the most space we'd had all nite and we filled the floor.... :D

I danced quite a lot but did find it hard to find a space...

The music in all rooms was second to non....

I thought after 2am, a lot would go but no they still kept coming, although a few were now leaving...

I managed to use a full set of batteries on my fan I was that hot.

We stayed til 6am because we'd taken Fudge & Tina and she will not leave until the last person is chucked out. Me and Neice would have left by 4 as we were flaking....

Dean never came as he had to work Sunday morning.

I've said to him, normally I would walk in a venue and know straight away if he would or wouldn't like it but I'm still not sure.

I don't usually like a rammin place but that place had an excitement....maybe it was the younger crowd...

I even found myself taking to a local who asked me how I found out about it, he thought it was a fantastic scene and said we were very lucky to have it......

How true he is...... :yes:

Now that is your bedtime story, go to sleep, that's if you aren't already....... sleep3.gif

Thought this event got better and better as the night wore on...... must admit that, at first, I thought the Northern Room was a bit of a moshpit. Lots of young (non-scene) punters standing in the middle of the floor, bottles in hand, getting drunk sad.gif . This improved as the night wore on; this may be wishful thinking on my part, but I hope this was due to the fact that newcomers began to "get it" - certainly I saw plenty of smiling faces watching the dancers on the floor, and joining in, and giving old codgers like me a bit of room..... :shades:

Steve's SoN Room was fantastic .....reminded me of some of my favourite Amsterdam Coffee Shops! Spent the last 2 1/2 hours in there, great sounds (plenty of R& cool.gif and wonderful vibe. Also saw the administering of probably the most intimate "back rub" ever given at a niter on the bed in there :D:shades::)

The final "after show" last hour in the main room was just the ticket, with smiling faces all round (although I think I need new calf muscles after that... well knackered!). Full marks to the venue for being so co-operative.

Congratulations are due to Mr Trouble for pulling this off - don't be deterred by the "old fartist tendency" - it's up to regular Soulies to explain the "dancefloor etiquette" thing by having a friendly word and a chat with newcomers. Met too many people to namecheck them all, but a special word for Monique (Sue from Stafford), who came and said hello, after recognising me off my SS photo profile!

Had been excited about this night for quite some time, knowing a lot of people i don't get to see very often would be there. I did not expect the night to be quite so AMAZING though! Had so much fun, great music in all the rooms, running up and down, chatting to every and any person who wanted to listen, dancing in all rooms and getting to know a lot of new friends from all "scenes".

Brilliant job by James Trouble and all involved! Can't wait for the next one! :shades::)

But my oh my I was foooked... :D But felt great!

Just got to say that this was a fantastic night....great music in all rooms (loved the funk) Plenty of good friends turned up which made for a great atmosphere. Well done James and all others involved.

The event before it at the Ditch bar was great, I would like to say a big thankyou to all the DJ's at both events who pulled out all the stops to give us all something fresh and exciting. special thanks to Greg I think it was for playing Philip Wright........(if anyone's got one for sale pm me) :D

now if someone could just pay my parking ticket :) that I got for parking right outside the club that would be just dandy :shades:

First allnighter in London for about 6 years and a great night was had by all. Again a good craic as everyone seemed to be switched on to full party mode.

Dashed upstairs to the Funk Room which had a great club atmosphere and cracking crowd. The main Northern Room IMO was spot on and for me the "outsiders" (he beats himself with twigs as he utters the word) were welcome, they caused me no probs on the dancefloor and added to the overall atmosphere. Having said that our lot were possibly more annoying than any potential newcommers - not on purpose or owt, were just a set of tw%ts :wicked:

Having a past in both the Northern and House Scene I like an alternative to the traditional allnighter and its conventions and Soul Revolution provided me with one. :D

Not a lot more to add other than the staff and bouncers were spot on, big black fellah on the door was a gent.

We'll be needing some more of these Mr Trouble :rolleyes:

BTW Jock and Colin missed their plane.... now there's a surprise whistling.gif

First chance to get on the forum since Saturday lunchtime..

Nice to see the feedback on here from quite a few different camps...The 60s/northern....The Mod Scene and the 70s/modern funk crowd...Real open minded punters...

I think the 3 rooms gave something for all but it was just finding it at the right time..I missed out on all the fun in the funk and northern rooms,it was my job to run the Soul Or Nothing room and spent most of the night in there..Thanks to Baz/Andy/Olof/Chris/Wayne/Gareth for your support and tunes in our little gathering..Special thanks to Adam Leaver,as Mike said,a really great spot that would grace any room..

Its a tough task for any of us to run a small soul night,this affair was a very big event in relation to numbers through the door and the diverse mix of styles throughout the whole place...Soul revolution gave me a chance to invite so many different friends and along and not just out and out soulies,all had a good time and liked the 3 room affair and a chance to wander from room to room..

Well done James and thanks for asking me to come along and help,it was a pleasure and a night to remember for so many reasons..

Its always nice to meet folk from overseas,nice little crowd from Finland,my new found freind Tolbert and co from Hamburg,That nice guy from Chicago and many others too...

Nice touch with the warm up venue just round the corner,it gave a lot of folk from outside London a place to meet and chat before the main event..

Hats off too to the manager/staff and door team...That extra after show was just what we needed,a really nice touch...

Like i said,i can't really comment on the other rooms/crowd/tunes as i was in the small room but the brief trips i took in funk room thumbsup.gif ,what a vibe in there...

Being out all night listening to great black music and grooving with all them white folks :rolleyes::D ...What a combination...Back to the ghetto for me now,my shoe shining business was put on hold to groove the weekend away...

It aint easy to please every person through the door but i think most got what they wanted and a little bit more..I don't think its was a full revolution but it could make people think as to what we want from the broad scale of 60s/70s black underground music in one space on the same night...I have always been into all the aspects of the night from northern/RnB/Ska/70s modern/funk/deep soul ballads,it was all there...

In the words of Sam and Dave.."It was so nice while it lasted"...See you all soon for a little bit more...

Edited by little-stevie

What a fantastic night :thumbsup: really worth the stress of a 24-hour-power-trip (ryanair wacko.gif ) Hamburg-London-Hamburg....

Brilliant Dj's, nice venue and absolute fantastic people. For me the perfect mixture of the whole soul-spectrum.

My very special thanks to Steve Cato :thumbsup:

SOUL or NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the 3 rooms gave something for all but it was just finding it at the right time..I missed out on all the fun in the funk and northern rooms,it was my job to run the Soul Or Nothing room and spent most of the night in there..Thanks to Baz/Andy/Olof/Chris/Wayne/Gareth for your support and tunes in our little gathering..Special thanks to Adam Leaver,as Mike said,a really great spot that would grace any room..

No thank YOU Steve, was such a pleasure to be part of this landmark event, and was great fun doubling up at the start :thumbsup:

The atmosphere is still buzzing round me.

No thank YOU Steve, was such a pleasure to be part of this landmark event, and was great fun doubling up at the start :thumbsup:

The atmosphere is still buzzing round me.

Ya know when you think "F*ck, I knew I should have gone"............ :wicked: , but glad everyone had a great time! :thumbsup:

Guest Bearsoul

WOW ! oh what a night !!!!! My contribution as follows, A million BO-Dillion thanks for all the great feedback and brilliant chats I had with friends OLd & New....so many new faces...bloody ACE !!!!! I Can't remember exact running order or venue but here goes 'Ditch Bar Warm-Up' (Event in itself) & Soul REv (THE BEES KNEES !!!)

JUNIOR PARKER 'I GOT MONEY'

PATTI AUSTIN 'MAGICAL BOY'

LINDA LEWIS 'YOU TURNED MY BITTER INTO SWEET'

E.T.WHITE & HIS GREAT POTENTIAL BAND 'LOOSEN UP'

DANNY WHITE 'KEEP MY WOMAN HOME'

THE FAITHFULL WONDERS 'OL'JOHN'

LITTLE JERRY WILLIAMS 'I'M THE LOVER MAN'

THE SHOWMEN 'THE WRONG GIRL'

DONNIE ELBERT ' ALONG CAME PRIDE'

CASH McCALL 'YOU CAN'T TAKE LOVE'

JOE SIMON 'I GOTTA A WHOLE LOTTA LOVIN'

SAM & THE SOUL WALKERS 'A TELEPHONE IS RINGING'

LONNIE LESTER 'YOU CAN;T GO'

THE FURYS 'DREAM'

PERCY SLEDGE 'HEART OF A CHILD'

CHUCK BROOKS 'YOU CAN'T BE IN TWO PLACES AT THE WRONG TIME'

GARNETT MIMMS 'SOMEBODY,SOMEPLACE'

HI-FI WHITE 'BULLDOG'

JOE GRAHAM 'BLESSED'

SISTERS OF RIGHTEOUS 'THAT'S HOW I FEEL'

BOBBY JONES 'TALKIN BOUT JONES'

MAJOR LANCE 'LAST OF THE RED HOT LOVERS'

ELOISE LAWS 'I THINK YOU NEED LOVE' UNNISUED

JOHHNY WILLIAMS 'LOVE DON'T RUB OFF'

ARTUR PRYSOCK 'GOIN TO PIECES' C/U

CITY LIMITS FEATURING MARTHA JONES 'THERE'S A MAN' C/U

LIVING COLOUR 'GOTTA A STRANGE FEELING'

MILLIE JACKSON 'A HOUSE FOR SALE'

GENE CHANDLER 'MAKE THE LIVING WORTHWHILE'

DWIGHT THOMPSON 'MAN OH MAN'

TEDDY PENDERGRASS 'YOU MUST LIVE ON'

BOBBY HUTTON 'I LOVE YOU MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY'

BILLY BUTLER & INFINITY 'GET ON THE CASE'

VARIATIONS 'SHOT OF LOVE'

GIFTS 'TOO FAR AWAY'

VOLUMES 'GOTTA GIVE HER LOVE'

CHANNELS 'YOU CAN COUNT ON ME'

THE SAMMY BRYANT GROUP 'GRAPEVINE'

LEE TILLMAN & THE SECRETS 'SHE'S THE ONE I LOVE'

BILLY BUTLER & THE ENCHANTERS 'SWEET WOMAN'

MARIE FRANKLIN 'DONTCHA BET NO MONEY'

LEON AUSTIN 'TURN ME LOOSE'

CARLA THOMAS 'SOMETHING GOOD'

STU GARDNER 'EXPRESSIN MY LOVE'

JERRY BUTLER ' I'M JUST THINKING ABOUT COOLING OUT'

SORRY IT'S SO BLEEDING LONG BUT IT COVERS TWO SPOTS AT 'THE DITCH CLUB' & TWO AT THE FANTABULOUS 'SOUL REVOLUTION' MASSIVE THANKS TO STEVE CATO FOR INVITING ME TO PLAY ,AND ALONG WITH SIR JAMES TROUBLE, BLESS YOU FOR HAVING THE VISION TO GIVE MOTION TO THE GROOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT FORGETTING US !!!!!!! THE PEOPLE WHO JUST KEPT SMILING IN BETWEEN DANCING OUR BUTTS OFF :thumbsup:

CHRIS ' BEARSOUL ' MORGAN :thumbsup:

Edited by bearsoul
Guest Goldwax

This was a top night. Right mix of sounds and punters, facesand tunes old and new. A breath of fresh air and only half a mile from home. I hope it wasn't a one off!

This was a top night. Right mix of sounds and punters, facesand tunes old and new. A breath of fresh air and only half a mile from home. I hope it wasn't a one off!

Glad you had a good time Craig..Did my good lady chew your ear off :rolleyes: We will be back for some more pretty soon..Dates to follow...I hope i get more of a chance to chat to you next time..

All the best

Steve

Fryers Play List (Not in order) from the funk room hope some of you enjoyed it and relise now its not slap bass funadelic but just great soul music accross the board.

Syl Johnson - Different Strokes (Twinight)

The 2nd Ammendment Band - Baktalk (Monet)

New Holidays - Maybe So Maybe No (Soulhawk)

Inell Young - What Do You See In Her (Libra)

Wallace Brothers - What-Cha feek is what-cha get (Walbro)

Fredrick Hymes III - Time Aint gonna do me no Favours (Fab Vegas)

Booker T. and the M.Gs - Hip Hug- Her (Stax)

The Rayones - You Confuse Me Baby (Forte)

Chris Columbus & The Swingig Gates- tighten up 70 (no label)

J.C. Davis - A new Day is coming (at last)

J.C. Davis - Buttered Popcorn (New Day)

Fred Westley and the JB's- Watermelon Man (People)

Rev. Jamal & Bob Johnson - Did you see those men (Walking on the Moon) - J&S

The Third Guitar - Baby Don't Cry (Rojac)

Brenda George - What you see is what you gonna get (Kent)

Barbara Lynn - Nice and Easy (Copyright)

Cross Bronx Expressway _ Help Your Brothers (Zells)

Rock Candy - Alone With No Love (Dontee Records)

The Black Exotics - Theme from black Exotics (JM Test)

Human Race - Grey Boy (Gem)

Arnold Blair - Trying to get next to you (Gemco)

Disciples of Soul - Together (Phantom)

Commuicators & Black Experiences Band - Is it Funky Enough? (Duplex)

Victoria Williams and J.B Ledbetter - Show Some Sign (Verve)

Sugar Pie DeSanto - In the Basement (Cadet)

Raw Soul & Dortsey Brockington - Stormy Weather (Plut)

Alan Shelly - Dance Together (Fonit - Cetra)

Fryers Play List (Not in order) from the funk room hope some of you enjoyed it and relise now its not slap bass funadelic but just great soul music accross the board.

Have always liked a bit of funk but did'nt realise what a buzz your nights are. It was fresh and exciting with a friendly appreciative crowd. I love all aspects of the music so we went with an open mind and had a great time. Northern is definately my first love but it was refreshing to have the choice. Hope it's one of many more.

Guest Andy Brazil

Well done Fellas!

still taking it all in,lovely,varied crowd.

highpoints for me were..Steve,Baz & Andy upstairs,

sublime,sophisticated R&B in its many forms.

&

Steve & Adam downstairs,after-hours,both on a perfectly timed &-pitched flow,

& all the dancers who made the most of the pacey,emotional sounds,

with the benefit of space to dance in.

also when mountain-man bouncer tried to Knock it on the head,

Mik Parry on the mic. stopped him dead in his tracks,like a stunned rabbit

in front of juggernaut head-lamps.

:D

f*cking priceless!!

must say what an inspiration to see Richard Bailey's

love of dancing,with such grace,heart & spirit :)

also thanks for the warm-up spot,

enjoyed playing some old favourites i'd not played for years.

to friendly,inquisitive new faces,nice comments.

many who were hearing them for the first time,

& adding to their wants lists(even some of the"funksters"!! :lol: )

the only benefit of being skint,& not bought tunes for a week or two

you're forced to rediscover & see the value in what you already have.

looking forward to the next revolution.

(& yes,i'm glad it will not be televised !! :shades: )

Guest Russ Smith

Heres the other half of the Fryer/ Rustler 10.00 till 12.30 set, smoothing the path for the "Praying Mantis"..........

(Loosely in order)

Jimmy soul Clark/ I blew a good thing / Karen

Jimmy Jones / Do what comes natural/ Deke

Judy Stokes / Real Man / Soul Power

Soul Patrol / Peter Pan / Zuma

Soul Chargers / Charge it up baby / American

Harvey/ Phenomenals / Soul and sunshine / Da Wood

Appolis / What is this / Soul Set

James Brown/ Talking loud and saying nothing/ King

Delores Ealy / About time i made a change / Velvet

Johnnie Mae Matthews / 2 sided thing / Big Hit

Brand new faces / Brand new faces / Lujuna

Willie Mason / Why i wanna know / Kalama

Big Ella / 2 hot to hold / Salem

Marva Whitney / Daddy don't know / Forte

Joni Adams / Las Vegas / Zodiac

Fabulous Souls / Take me / Fabulous Soul

King George/Fabulous Souls / Baby you got it / Audio Arts

Ray Frazier / I who have nothing / Stanson

Dreammakers / Funky band / Instrumental

El Pooks / I can do the impossible / Orivious

Charles Green / Double E agent ( by that time i was !!!!!) / Anla

Mickey and the soul generation / How good is good / Mr G

Little Jimmy Edward / Slapping some soul on you / Key Loc

King Earnest / Yore gonna miss me / Sonic

Definitely some cuts there known on both Funk and Northern scenes..

Loved the night ,( it seemed taylor-made for my soul music tastes) some incredible sets by the DJs and a really top venue ..

Roll on the next one.

nice one to all involved. i had a good night. would have liked to have spent more time in the other rooms but as others have said - you can't be in 2 places etc.

good to see so many 'outsiders' enjoying themselves amongst us soul nutters :)

Shane

Its never too early to start planning for the next Soul Revolution event..I am sure that James will be getting the dates sorted in the next couple of weeks..

As i said before..Can any of you who would like to play at our next Soul Or Nothing room just drop me a line..If you have tape/cd then that would be great..Takes time to get the right mix of djs fro a freestyle room and i want to plan it now....So good to see that the other niters had great feedback too,enough distance between all it seems.. :thumbsup

Source Advert