Salvador's Stick by me baby 70s unofficial release

Evo
Go to solution Solved by Soul Shrews,

This may help, JM post from 2006.

"To clear a few questions up on the Salvadors.

1. very first original press is St. Louis, vinyl is THICKER @ (1.18mm) with NO pimples in the vinyl, the green label is a deeper shade. I only known of one copy of this press, Carl Willingham owned it, I sold it to Australian collector for £2500 in really poor shape vg-. But it was the ONLY known copy.

2.Chicago press thinner vinyl @ (1.09mm vinyl) label is a lighter shade ie (the one we have on auction)has TWO visible pimples on the playing surface, these do NOT affect play but you can see them if you twist the record in the daylight. The matrx in the deadwax reads 62771 this number is lightly scratched in and staggered. Worth 2500 to 3500 we'd guess.

The deadwax matrix on both presses are IDENTICAL ie using the same masterplate.

3. The PB boots as Ted M. rightly points out came out of Los Angeles via our friend and yours Simon S. He did Mel Britt, George Blackwell, Johnny Vanelli, and many others at the same time all have P.B. in the deadwax.

This gave birth to the story of Bob Cattaneo travelling from S.F. to L.A. to buy Simons latest fantastic find. When Bob saw all these top titles in mint condition he smelt a rat and on close inspection found P.B. in all the 45 deadwax's. Bob told Simon you can't sell these as originals. Simon admitted they looked a bit NEW, so he got George Blackwell our its sleeve and violently rubbed it on his carpet. (a ploy used on the Four Vandals scam) "there they look used now!!"

4.Then there is the dark blue label and obvious bootleg in styrene 1976 repro Delta # 100273

5. Then there is the same with a Light blue label.

Edited June 18, 2006 by john manship"

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I think no matter what version of the original in todays market your not gonna acquire the record for less than 5k in any playable condition! I got a copy for a mate some 5 years ago in ok condition and that was 3.5k! The true first press is up there with the big boys and easily 8k

Social source share

2 hours ago, Theothertosspot said:

This may help, JM post from 2006.

"To clear a few questions up on the Salvadors.

1. very first original press is St. Louis, vinyl is THICKER @ (1.18mm) with NO pimples in the vinyl, the green label is a deeper shade. I only known of one copy of this press, Carl Willingham owned it, I sold it to Australian collector for £2500 in really poor shape vg-. But it was the ONLY known copy.

There seems to be another press as well. The thick vinyl, with the darker shade of green. But, it also has the pimples.

If anyone would like to see it I'll gladly show them at any place where I'm doing a set.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

phils ,julians and my own copy are the only st louis copies i know of. you,ve quoted 7500 then 8k both wrong.regards

JM auctioned one, Trouble had one, not sure where either are.

How do we know it is a St Louis press? Who said it was pressed there and what was the plant?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Pottsy said:

There seems to be another press as well. The thick vinyl, with the darker shade of green. But, it also has the pimples.

If anyone would like to see it I'll gladly show them at any place where I'm doing a set.

Also, on the flip side mine has a 1966 date on the label.

By chance I have a scan of a thin vinyl copy as well, that has a date stamped on the label for 1967.

I know dates on labels don't prove anything, but just thought it a point of interest.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

There’s one out there with labels reversed. Don’t know which pressing that is or whether there’s just the one or a batch with labels on the wrong sides.

I had a copy in my hands about 20 years ago that had the "I wanna dance" label on both side. Gary Fields was selling it for someone.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

so theres 3 original presses of this 45.. got to be other copies out in the wild still waiting to be found

Don't want to kill the hopes here (as I would evidently be happy to have one from such a stash if ever) but if like the Aspirations/Admirations on Peaches with 3 label variants most probably indicating 3 runs of prints but only in tiny numbers each time likely due to short deejay/radio air-play time and will to supply local stores in hope of greater things. Projects on a very tight budget and short-handed on promotion...

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Don't want to kill the hopes here (as I would evidently be happy to have one from such a stash if ever) but if like the Aspirations/Admirations on Peaches with 3 label variants most probably indicating 3 runs of prints but only in tiny numbers each time likely due to short deejay/radio air-play time and will to supply local stores in hope of greater things. Projects on a very tight budget and short-handed on promotion...

True but who knows what will turn up.. as I say I sold the Salvador’s but still have the admirations on peaches to cash in yet

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!