Tunes Suitable For Making Ashtrays Out Of

Guest Malc Burton

Just been going through old publications ( again ) , and I happened to come across these " gems " from various venue playlists ....

Obviously from a time long ago , in a galaxy far , far away , but why in God's name were they played ? ......

These are just a few of the few that still give me a feeling of extreme nausia .....

Judith Durham " Again And Again "

Dawn " Love's A Magic Word "

Night Watch " Lips To your Heart "

Paul Newman " Ain't You Got A Heart "

And , saved until last , what must be the worst ever record to have been played on the scene -

Ted Cassidy " The Lurch "

What are your choices for the worst records to have been played ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 132
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just been going through old publications ( again ) , and I happened to come across these " gems " from various venue playlists ....

Obviously from a time long ago , in a galaxy far , far away , but why in God's name were they played ? ......

These are just a few of the few that still give me a feeling of extreme nausia .....

And , saved until last , what must be the worst ever record to have been played on the scene -

Malc Burton

I like the Judith Durham record! Not as a Northern record or anything, it's just got a nice tune with some excellent chord changes and a lovely vocal.

Worst record ever played on the scene has to be The Carstairs - It Really Hurts me Girl.

Social source share

I like the Judith Durham record! Not as a Northern record or anything, it's just got a nice tune with some excellent chord changes and a lovely vocal.

Worst record ever played on the scene has to be The Carstairs - It Really Hurts me Girl.

Hi Pete .....

I was not having a go a JD ; I still cannot fathom why the record was played ......

My late Mum was a fan of The Seekers , and have fond memories of their records being played in our home .....

Just being curious ......

What price does JD fetch - god willing somebody wanting it - nowadays ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

A Mr R Searling may know, for it was he!

I thought it was Dustbin Stanlid who played it , not RS .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I thought it was Dustin Stanlid who played it , not RS .....

Malc Burton

No Malc, definitely a Searling discovery/spin, I have recorded evidence of this. I also have him playing Gary Lewis & The Playboys but so did many others!

Social source share

No Malc, definitely a Searling discovery/spin, I have recorded evidence of this. I also have him playing Gary Lewis & The Playboys but so did many others!

I knew GL & TP was R's , back I am taken aback with JD ......

Why are you so anti Carstairs ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Because it's utter, utter rubbish. Awful song and an abysmal vocal performance. It's just terrible.

Tell it like it is , Pete , tell it like it is .......

" IRHMG " is , like so many others , a record of its' , and a certain time .....

And should remain so .

If RS was responsible for playing JD , who does the blame lie with for playing Ted Cassidy ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Tell it like it is , Pete , tell it like it is .......

" IRHMG " is , like so many others , a record of its' , and a certain time .....

And should remain so .

If RS was responsible for playing JD , who does the blame lie with for playing Ted Cassidy ?

Malc Burton

It came from the depths of Yate I believe...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It came from the depths of Yate I believe...

...Step forward, Ian Clark, the guilty man on this and several other occasions where playing crap is concerned ("Reverse Thrust", Shirley Abicair etc.)

Actually, I like "The Lurch" for what it is - a bit of fun and nothing more. At least it's meant to be humorous. Can't see anything funny in Judith Durham, really...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What's "Reverse Thrust"???

It's a dodgy UK instrumental by 'The Marquis Of Kensington', on Immediate. It's called 'Reverse Thrust' because the drum track is recorded backwards. Sounds like test card music. I think it might have been played post-Yate, but whenever it was played Clarky was the culprit!

Social source share

It's a dodgy UK instrumental by 'The Marquis Of Kensington', on Immediate. It's called 'Reverse Thrust' because the drum track is recorded backwards. Sounds like test card music. I think it might have been played post-Yate, but whenever it was played Clarky was the culprit!

Well I never, learn something new every day. I know of that artist, got a clip of him performing his single on Beat Club.

Social source share

Guest soultan

Come on, dont knock the carstairs. for 20 years plus i havent tired of hearing it. next you will be saying you dont like magic night . i am actually after a copy of the carstairs at the moment, so i hope its priced according to the appreciation on here. lol

worse song gotta be green door, by either wynder k frog or shakin stevens.

carstairs.....come on lads

Social source share

Come on, dont knock the carstairs. for 20 years plus i havent tired of hearing it. next you will be saying you dont like magic night . i am actually after a copy of the carstairs at the moment, so i hope its priced according to the appreciation on here. lol

awesome sweet soul flip on the carstairs...

Social source share

...Step forward, Ian Clark, the guilty man on this and several other occasions where playing crap is concerned ("Reverse Thrust", Shirley Abicair etc.)

Actually, I like "The Lurch" for what it is - a bit of fun and nothing more. At least it's meant to be humorous. Can't see anything funny in Judith Durham, really...

When Pete replied that it was played at Yate , a wry smile came across my face , as I thought it might have been Clarkey .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I'd take Green Door over Carstairs any day - in fact I'd rather hear Shakin Stevens sing It Really Hurts Me Girl than Carstairs - I had one a couple of weeks ago for £50, someone bought it, unlike the last one which I smashed with a hammer (and sent proof up). Pile of sh*t. As is Magic Night.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Got to agree...its utter tripe

Bazza

Bloody hel Pete and Bazza agreeing , what next.

personally I would have liked to makes ashtrays out of all Samantha Jones - Surrounded by a ray of sunshine , and Little Lisa - Hang on bill . What shite

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Ashtray 1 Vivian Carol

Ashtray 2 Jerry Naylor

:thumbsup::shades:

and a record that's always reminded me of Ms. Carol- Judy Hughes "Fine Fine Fine". Not not not.

Social source share

Bloody hel Pete and Bazza agreeing , what next.

personally I would have liked to makes ashtrays out of all Samantha Jones - Surrounded by a ray of sunshine , and Little Lisa - Hang on bill . What shite

I really like the Samantha Jones record. Not in any NS sense, it's just a great song. Little Lisa, the song is terrible but the backing track is great.

Social source share

Normally i'd suggest making an ash tray out of Sister Sledge - Love Don't Go Through No Changes but as Boy Blair's banned us all from smoking what's the point :thumbsup:

Just off back to bed,

Might get out of the right side when i wake up...

Social source share

Malc Burton

Nightwatch - great uptempo dancer in its time, much better than a lot of shite u see on playlists today

Social source share

Normally i'd suggest making an ash tray out of Sister Sledge - Love Don't Go Through No Changes but as Boy Blair's banned us all from smoking what's the point :thumbsup:

Just off back to bed,

Might get out of the right side when i wake up...

:shades::thumbsup:

Social source share

Strewth add that to my list as well

Part of it reminds me of part of the soundtrack to Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels! Songs still crap tho'.

How about Dean Barlow - Third Window ashtrays? :thumbsup: Another one would be Barbara Danes I'm On My Way - don't bother love, bugger off back home! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Part of it reminds me of part of the soundtrack to Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels! Songs still crap tho'.

How about Dean Barlow - Third Window ashtrays? :thumbsup: Another one would be Barbara Danes I'm On My Way - don't bother love, bugger off back home! :thumbsup:

Agree with dean barlow but......... barbara dane..great record what the fuks up with ya.

Social source share

Malc Burton

Had a track on a tape by The Four Chaps - Will you or won't you. Not sure where it was played. But isn't soul. Is horrendous and quite possibly the worst ns track ever.

Social source share

Guest stax'a'soul

Had a track on a tape by The Four Chaps - Will you or won't you. Not sure where it was played. But isn't soul. Is horrendous and quite possibly the worst ns track ever.

i think that is the other side of 'true lovers'..which i think is nice.but agree on 'will you or wont you' tis' awful!

steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The Superman comics I used to read as a child occasionally featured a race of aliens who are the opposite of everything we take for granted. In the minds of these perverse creatures down is up, right is wrong, ugliness is seen as beautiful and incredibly bad taste is prized over good - a complete mirror image of reality in fact.

These grotesques inhabit a totally square planet called 'Bizarro World', and on this distant planet - where everything rational, sensible (and soulful) is completely reversed - the Carstairs "It Really Hurts Me Girl" is considered to be "...the worst record ever played on the scene"

Social source share

Malc Burton

I admit to owning three of the five you mention :huh: . What can I say I was young and impressionable they have memories of a point in time for me and I never sell a record unless I have two copies so although I can't see me ever playing them again I'll be hanging on to them. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest soultan

I'd take Green Door over Carstairs any day - in fact I'd rather hear Shakin Stevens sing It Really Hurts Me Girl than Carstairs - I had one a couple of weeks ago for £50, someone bought it, unlike the last one which I smashed with a hammer (and sent proof up). Pile of sh*t. As is Magic Night.

hope we dont get stuck in a lift together. reckon they'd be vinyl everywhere. boxing.gif

shakin stevens singing it really hurts me girl, now thats funny ...nice 1

not suprised that the last copy sold, they are getting rarer, someone keeps smashing in them up !

you dont like magic night either, come on, voices of east harlem - Cashing In has got to be common ground for us (surely!).

Social source share

I was taken to see the Seekers around 1964/65 (seriously) funnily enough in Durham and reading this thread lead me to look on the the internet I always thought Judith Durham had blonde hair but she seems in her photographs to be darker. The memory is a strange old thing.

She sang It really does hurt me girl twice

Records for the bin

Human Beinz , Bobby Goldsboro, Jackie Trent and the rest

Social source share

A lot of the tracks mentioned already rightly had a short shelf life and others a matter of opinion but 2 tracks that have been played to death and i can never understand how they are even considered to be remotely soulful are :-

dee clark - thats my girl

holly st james - thats not love

NOT FIT TO BE ASHTRAYS!

Social source share

hope we dont get stuck in a lift together. reckon they'd be vinyl everywhere. boxing.gif

shakin stevens singing it really hurts me girl, now thats funny ...nice 1

not suprised that the last copy sold, they are getting rarer, someone keeps smashing in them up !

you dont like magic night either, come on, voices of east harlem - Cashing In has got to be common ground for us (surely!).

Agreed ; I would love to hear that .... :wicked:

Which leads me into another thread : " Pop Singers Do Soul Records " .....

I would love to hear Bonnie Tyler attempting " Cry Your Eyes Out " ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Actually, I like "The Lurch" for what it is - a bit of fun and nothing more. At least it's meant to be humorous.

It sure is "interesting" as far as novelty records goes. I'm quite amazed that it was played at a venue. Was the backing track ever used for anything else? Gary Paxton being involved etc.

I actually auctioned a copy of "The Lurch" a couple of weeks ago on eBay and described it as a left-field, oddball ancient northern soul spin and within a day I recieved an angry e-mail saying that "this isn't northern soul, you don't know nothing etc.". I ofcourse understood the point, but it sold and when I recieved the feedback from the buyer it said "quality piece of northern soul KTF". I couldn't help but smile. :wicked:

Social source share

It sure is "interesting" as far as novelty records goes. I'm quite amazed that it was played at a venue. Was the backing track ever used for anything else? Gary Paxton being involved etc.

I actually auctioned a copy of "The Lurch" a couple of weeks ago on eBay and described it as a left-field, oddball ancient northern soul spin and within a day I recieved an angry e-mail saying that "this isn't northern soul, you don't know nothing etc.". I ofcourse understood the point, but it sold and when I recieved the feedback from the buyer it said "quality piece of northern soul KTF". I couldn't help but smile. :huh:

How`s about swapping one of your ashtray`s(footsie),for one of mine(Formula UK demo) :wicked: I mean you did get £60 or something dont remember.

Social source share

How`s about swapping one of your ashtray`s(footsie),for one of mine(Formula UK demo) :wicked: I mean you did get £60 or something dont remember.

I probably will be auctioning my "Footsee" acetate at some point, but your trade offer is tempting. Then again, I have no idea what a work-in-progress acetate of "Footsee" will fetch, you never know what kind of value people will put on such a thing, taking nostalgia things into account etc.

And oh, the "Footsee" one is a metal acetate so you'll need a LOT of heat to make it into an ashtray! :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert