Fave Blue Eyed Soul Record

Soulsmith

Guest Richard Bergman

The Italian Ashphalt & Pavement Company. " Check Yourself" - Colossus.

link

Good shout! Brownie point s for not wimping out and putting IAP CO - :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 99
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Good shout!  Brownie point s for not wimping out and putting IAP CO -  :lol:

link

Just to prove that "Soul Source" can educate....this came out on UK Polydor as The Duprees......(and i learnt that from a previous topic on here :shades: )

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i think at the moment i'd go for .....Dusty Springfield - haunted (1970)

lovely little number and it might be crossover if i new what the hell crossover was lol

Davie

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Knickerbockers - Wishful Thinking. Fantastic. No, you probably can't dance to it.

Deadbeats as well. Their other one is not a bad Midnight Hour rip off, I forget the title. Christian would love it. :lol:

Social source share

Get away!?

Had that several times but I didn't know it wasn't The Duprees.

Don't like it though...Intruders is better

link

Yeah Pete apparently the I.A.P. was done as some sort of in joke, they all dressed up as gangsters, but they reverted to the Duprees for the UK release......

Oh and it is brilliant...Intruders Nahhhhh :lol:

Social source share

Whats your Fave Blue Eyed Soul Record?

Connie Van Dyke on Motown 'It Hurt me too' & Wheelsville 'Dont do Nothing / It hurt me too'

Chris Clark 'I want to go back there again'

Len Barry 'Will You Still Love me Tommorow' Decca

Also was amazed to read recently that Rita (of the Tiaras) is white!

cheers

Paul

Social source share

If the Vondells are a white group then I'm shocked and amazed

link

The Vondells are 100% white.

I thought that was a well known fact?

Bob & Fred, Antellects, Freddie Chavez... etc, etc. Would'nt exactly call them white. Latino's. As with Thee Midniters... etc.

Social source share

The Oxford Nights are white, but Ben Bernard (lead on "I'm such a lonely one") is definately black. Antellects are black too.

Billy :dance:

link

Are you sure about The Antellects? Read somewhere that it was a white rock group of some sort. Whatever the case the vocals on it are less than weak IMO.

Are the Inmates on Kopit white BTW?

link

I was told the same about the Antellects Christian. Pretty sure Inmates white too, they sound white to me.

Social source share

I always thought Rita had a Brenda Russell connection - I thought she was one of the Tiaras or something- but I may be wrong. All the more odd because there's another version of "Gone with the wind" on Mojo which was a black owned label.

Mentioning white Motown - one from the 80's Tony Travelini - what he lacks in vocal oomph, is ,made up for in production excellence.

Social source share

The Vondells are 100% white.

I thought that was a well known fact?

Bob & Fred, Antellects, Freddie Chavez... etc, etc. Would'nt exactly call them white. Latino's. As with Thee Midniters... etc.

link

Latinos, Italians, Irish, etc. all count as white to me, after all they're not exactly African, now are they? Or would you call people from Italy and Spain black? :shades:

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

'It's got to be love' by the Magnificent Men (LP track only) is a top notch dancer. Think it got a few plays in the late 80's but not heard it since - apart from in my house!! :shades:

Social source share

Yes and slightly disapointed too  :shades: ..if they are of course. Definately in my top ten of the moment :shades:

link

Why disappointed? It's still the same record is it not? Still sounds exactly the same? If it's a good record, it's a good record, period. Vondells is not one of my favourites but I think it is pretty good for what it is even if I am a little tired of it. If one of my favourite records should turn out to be by a white artist, however unlikely it might be, it will still remain a good record to me, anything else would be quite ridiculous.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

What colour eyes has Bobby Paris got?

I was only about 10' from him at Blackburn but I can't remember.

If they're blue I'll go with "I walked away".

Soulful enough for me anyway.

Social source share

Whats your Fave Blue Eyed Soul Record?

Mine is this bit of 'modern soul'

Don't know much about it & never heard it played out.

The un-named female backing singer is obviously black & steals the show!

link

the marquee revue - what good tomorow - pacific avenue

Social source share

Post from cover up:

"Is "blue-eyed" a more politically correct way of saying "white"? I always find this form of inverted racism slightly bizarre, since generally the people who won't listen to "white" records usually ARE white..."

Bloody hell mate - you think too much!!

The term blue eyed soul first became a sort of generic term in the early 70s. I think it was the name of an album by Biddu Orchestra. Biddu was asian.

Inverted racism, what a crap comment. This is a pleasant discussion about some favourite records, or it was until you wound me up.

i have arecord by the blue eyed souls are you ready for this i think it is 60's so it must be a US sixties phrase.

mark

Social source share

Prove it.

link

I've got sod all to prove mate. It's a well known fact, or so i thought.

Believe me. If i had a picture of them i'd share it with you. Although in this situation it wouldn't be much use would it, considering it would be in black and white.

Tommy.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

What colour eyes has Bobby Paris got?

I was only about 10' from him at Blackburn but I can't remember.

If they're blue I'll go with "I walked away".

Soulful enough for me anyway.

link

:shades::shades:

2nd soul record I ever bought.

number one sound at our youth club. Even the people who werent into Northern Soul would clap at the appropriate times in this record.

Ooh great post vinnie, brought back some real feel good feelings.

Social source share

Guest HiTtHeBoNgO

blue eyes and british

manchester playboys i feel so good

mark loyd when im gonna find her

john e paul i wanna know

jason knight love is getting stronger

Social source share

I find a lot of the southern white soul, and the whole idea of Blue Eyed Soul fascinating. Records by Ben Atkins, George Soul, Dan Penn, Eddie Hinton, Troy Seals, Johnny Daye and so on are very interesting from a sociological point of view. In all cases these singers made records which could be broadly termed blue-eyed soul, but are quite different to that strict definition. Their 45s were conceived wholly as soul records, hoping to appeal to exactly the same record buyers who were digging records recorded at the same studios by the likes of James Carr, Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave etc.

As far as I understand it "Blue Eyed Soul" refers to pop records with a pronounced soul flavour or influence in both the singing and the musical setting which is distinct from an attempt to make 'real' soul like the artists mentioned above. Prime examples of this are acts like Dean Parrish, The Magnificent Men on Capitol, The Jaggerz on Gamble, and The Righteous Brothers, who came to define the genre. All of these acts definitely crossed over to African-American record buyers and the black club and concert scenes for a time in their career, but all moved on (or tried to move on) after one or two years of R&B scene acceptance, and tried to make more mainstream 'pop' records.

It's important to remember that 'soul' as a concept went some way beyond music in the mid-to-late 60s in America: it was a fashion, a feeling and a way of life for black and white metropolitan youth alike for a brief time. This has a modern parrallel in the way hip hop has been absorbed and assimilated into mainstream culture. But while hip hop has taken root in that culture, soul was kind of replaced and supplanted by other fashions like psychedelia throughout much of 'white' America. Think how hideously dated The Righteous Brothers must have sounded in 1967.

The Beach scene in the US was and is a fascinating case of the blurring of racial barriers. Most of the artists who created the orginal beach sounds were black, The Coasters, Showmen, Willie Tee and so on all making classic beach sounds which were picked up on by all-white audiences across the South East of the US. The beach fans themselves formed their own bands (Embers, Tyn Tynes, Oxford Nights, Tempests et al, sometimes with African-American vocalists, although this was by no means the norm) which took on all the characteristics of these records and aimed them straight back at the white teenagers who had been raised on the staple diet of black R&B.

More problematic to define are one-off single artists who made records which have been picked up by the rare soul scenes of Europe over the years. Lynne Randell, Joanie Sommers, Cajun Hart, Fifth Avenue Band and a cast of thousands of others would probably be amazed that their records are thought of as any kind of 'soul.'

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Well it might be a well known fact to you but I've never heard anyone else even suggest it, there must have been two different groups  wink.gif

link

I think that's probably the case....... I searched for Vondells a few months ago and all that came up was some kind of 50s doo-wop record on Vee-Jay wink.gif tis the truth! :yes:

Another fave blue eyed tracks:

Bobby Wisdom "Handwriting on the wall"

- there it goes, the price just dropped by half! yes.gif definately white - I read it on a Tony Renfro biog. They were close friends.

Billy :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I find a lot of the southern white soul, and the whole idea of Blue Eyed Soul fascinating. Records by Ben Atkins, George Soul, Dan Penn, Eddie Hinton, Troy Seals, Johnny Daye and so on are very interesting from a sociological point of view. In all cases these singers made records which could be broadly termed blue-eyed soul, but are quite different to that strict definition. Their 45s were conceived wholly as soul records, hoping to appeal to exactly the same record buyers who were digging records recorded at the same studios by the likes of James Carr, Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave etc.

As far as I understand it "Blue Eyed Soul" refers to pop records with a pronounced soul flavour or influence in both the singing and the musical setting which is distinct from an attempt to make 'real' soul like the artists mentioned above. Prime examples of this are acts like Dean Parrish, The Magnificent Men on Capitol, The Jaggerz on Gamble, and The Righteous Brothers, who came to define the genre. All of these acts definitely crossed over to African-American record buyers and the black club and concert scenes for a time in their career, but all moved on (or tried to move on) after one or two years of R&B scene acceptance, and tried to make more mainstream 'pop' records.

It's important to remember that 'soul' as a concept went some way beyond music in the mid-to-late 60s in America: it was a fashion, a feeling and a way of life for black and white metropolitan youth alike for a brief time. This has a modern parrallel in the way hip hop has been absorbed and assimilated into mainstream culture. But while hip hop has taken root in that culture, soul was kind of replaced and supplanted by other fashions like psychedelia throughout much of 'white' America. Think how hideously dated The Righteous Brothers must have sounded in 1967.

The Beach scene in the US was and is a fascinating case of the blurring of racial barriers. Most of the artists who created the orginal beach sounds were black, The Coasters, Showmen, Willie Tee and so on all making classic beach sounds which were picked up on by all-white audiences across the South East of the US. The beach fans themselves formed their own bands (Embers, Tyn Tynes, Oxford Nights, Tempests et al, sometimes with African-american vocalists, although this was by no means the norm) which took on all the characteristics of these records and aimed them straight back at the white teenagers who had been raised on the staple diet of black R&B.

More problematic to define are one-off single artists who made records which have been picked up by the rare soul scenes of Europe over the years. Lynne Randell, Joanie Sommers, Cajun Hart, Fifth Avenue Band and a cast of thousands over the years would probably be amazed that their records are thought of as any kind of 'soul.'

link

It might be interesting to hear black American RNB fans opinions on people like Nat King Cole, or Jackie Wilson openly courting white record buyers, and being paraded almost as novelty acts (reet petite) on 'white' focused TV programs of the late 50s early 60s.

I cant remember the quote from Ray Charles about this 'crossing over' into 'white mainstream' pop music. I do remember he was pretty dismissive of the view that he was selling out.

I might hazard a guess that they have similar discussions as us white brits have about some of the acts Gareth has mentioned, crossing over into 'their' music. If i understood it correctly, Eminem had to take an awful lot of racist abuse when he first tried to break into his area of music. I imaginr Ray, Nat etc etc might have taken a hell of a lot more.

Social source share

I might hazard a guess that they have similar discussions as us white brits have about some of the acts Gareth has mentioned, crossing over into 'their' music. If i understood it correctly, Eminem had to take an awful lot of racist abuse when he first tried to break into his area of music. I imaginr Ray, Nat etc etc might have taken a hell of a lot more.

link

Highly likely that they did but kept quiet about it, rather than end their career. Remember Sammy Davis Jnr (although obviously not Soul/RnB) was THE biggest black name in showbusiness

in the early sixties, one of the Rat Pack etc etc. But Kennedy wouldn't have him at his inauguration, despite all the support and canvassing he did for him. JFK didn't even have the balls to tell him either. Sinatra had to do it. And remember, we are not talking about good ole boys in Alabama, were talking about the East coast liberal elite.

What must have racism been like for the poor ?

Social source share

The original post has probably been long lost, but I repeat that an American garage collector who had been in touch with a band member and with a Sonny Hines (could be confusing with something else, someone help?) that was involved with the Airtown label confirmed that it was a white band. Could be wrong of course. The Virgil Murray disc has the same publishing and partly the same credits as the Vondells btw.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

What must have racism been like for the poor ?

Bullets, ropes and such.

link

I think it's still pretty shit these days.

On this whole question of black and white singers, there are lots of records which are obviously black and lots which are obviously white but there are also a huge number in between - white singers trying to sound 'black', black singers trying to sound 'white', probably Chinese trying to sound German for all I know.

It's balls of the highest order to suggest white people can't sound - or be - soulful and it's also odd to be anti a record purely because it's white, surely? If it's good, it's good.

Lots of white singers sang in black clubs in the 60s and were totally accepted by the black audiences as being authentic soul singers. It's a bit weird that 40 years later we're still questioning that view.

I'd bet anything you like that plenty of records we thinkiof as being black were by white singers...look at some of the names above and tell me you always knew they were white. For one thing, studio time and pressing up records on a whim costs money and that's a commodity black kids in the 60s conspicuously lacked.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think it's still pretty shit these days.

On this whole question of black and white singers, there are lots of records which are obviously black and lots which are obviously white but there are also a huge number in between - white singers trying to sound 'black', black singers trying to sound 'white', probably Chinese trying to sound German for all I know.

It's balls of the highest order to suggest white people can't sound - or be - soulful and it's also odd to be anti a record purely because it's white, surely? If it's good, it's good.

Lots of white singers sang in black clubs in the 60s and were totally accepted by the black audiences as being authentic soul singers. It's a bit weird that 40 years later we're still questioning that view.

I'd bet anything you like that plenty of records we thinkiof as being black were by white singers...look at some of the names above and tell me you always knew they were white. For one thing, studio time and pressing up records on a whim costs money and that's a commodity black kids in the 60s conspicuously lacked.

link

Absolutely Dan.

Cant say I was surpised when I was told Greater Experience were white. But it doesnt make me like the record any less.

There are also stories of black acts playing white concert halls, having to play early, and then would be removed from the premises, before the alcohol took hold of the white paying public. Hence the popularity in black communities of speakeasy's opening late into the night, as often the acts would drive across town and perform after midnight, in black areas.

Could this be why so many great records sound even better at 2 in the morning?? :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Johnny Vanelli  -  Just a little something to sleep  on  -  blue dolphin- 70s thing

quite nice

link

What about "Seven days of lovin' you" by the Johnster pure Mr M's Power pop grrrrreat well it seemed so back then......not so sure now mind biggrin.gif What would Christian Hermansson think biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif:ohmy::yes:

Karen xx

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Just to prove that "Soul Source" can educate....this came out on UK Polydor as The Duprees......(and i learnt that from a previous topic on here :yes: )

link

They were the Duprees the IAP co handle was a novelty/joke thing :ohmy:

Social source share

Well it might be a well known fact to you but I've never heard anyone else even suggest it, there must have been two different groups  :ohmy:

link

Oh yeah. There are two different groups (that I know of). Can't re-call the label of the other group, but do remember it has nice blue's & red's on the label. Lovely group record.

That's the black group. My Dad's got the record. Maybe if he spots this post he could remember the title of the record for you Pete?

Going back to the Air-Town record, has anyone got a bloody picture of this group? Honestly Pete. I don't know what your association with "White Americans" has been like in the past, but I hear there voices everyday (I'm married to one). You soon get to know there voices.

Now unless this "Black, Air-town, Vondells" group grew up on the surfer scene, then I'll bet my last penny that there as white as me and you.

Anyways. Bored of this. I'm off up the road to find some records.

Talk to you soon,

Tommy.

Social source share

What about "Seven days of lovin' you" by the Johnster pure Mr M's Power pop grrrrreat well it seemed so back then......not so sure now mind  :yes: What would Christian Hermansson think  biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif   :ohmy:   yes.gif

Karen xx

link

That was one when played at Wigan that I hated as much as Gay Lewis & the Playboys. For some strange reason though I didn't mind Tommy Sands "The Statue". I wonder if it was because Statue is just a dance tune and the others are Love songs with a dance beat :P

Social source share

What about "Seven days of lovin' you" by the Johnster pure Mr M's Power pop grrrrreat well it seemed so back then......not so sure now mind  biggrin.gif What would Christian Hermansson think  biggrin.gif   :P   :ohmy:   :yes:

Karen xx

link

Johnny Vanelli is, well, about as awful as it gets. Makes Joey Delorenzo sound good and soulful in comparison. yes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert