Sticky Dancefloors

Tomangoes

Went to a local Motown night on Saturday, and as usual after some refreshment decided to sweat it out on the dancefloor, only to find it was deep in blood sweat and tears making it impossible to dance other than the old two step reserved for handbaggers and geriatrics.

Spoilt the night.

No talc in sight either.

Should venues have a dancefloor quality rating???

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Went to a local Motown night on Saturday, and as usual after some refreshment decided to sweat it out on the dancefloor, only to find it was deep in blood sweat and tears making it impossible to dance other than the old two step reserved for handbaggers and geriatrics.

Spoilt the night.

No talc in sight either.

Ed

:P ...went to Belfast this weekend...10 out of 10... :lol:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Nothing worse than being at a venue with top tunes and a shite dancefloor. I hate whwn you get a few soul tourists in and they dance in a circle spilling beer on the floor and mimicking the crowd :yes: . That really gets to me. Sticky beery floors really fry my head.

Social source share

Nothing worse than being at a venue with top tunes and a shite dancefloor. I hate whwn you get a few soul tourists in and they dance in a circle spilling beer on the floor and mimicking the crowd :yes: . That really gets to me. Sticky beery floors really fry my head.

Too right!!! thmbdn.gif

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Oh how I agree with this. Glad still to see how important the state of dancefloors are to people on hear.

You wanna be on the modern scene (or maybe you don't)! Size and quality are way below par at some venues. IMO.

Even carpet acceptable in some quarters! wacko.gif

Social source share

stoke kings hall sat the 13th just wasnt slippey for me found it hard to have a good blast even with talc down ,dont like to use it coz if the dance floor is rated as a good dancefloor it should be ok . On my soap box now to the so called soulies who go to venues wear decent shoes not fuckin trainers seen many who put tons of talc down then do two steps n f*** off :yes: !!!Makes me think what the hell was that all about i know we all think where the dogs bollocks when it comes to dancing and lost in our own little worlds when out there strutting our stuff but come on RIGHT SHOES ON RIGHT FLOOR HEAVEN.

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Agree that a good dancefloor shouldn't need any talc and fantastic when you're on one but they are few and far between IMO. So always best to have talc to hand just in case. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

remember some years ago at Crackers in Gloucester the floor had been relaid or resurfaced or some such thing, and it wasn't really ready.

But the event went ahead and the floor was more than tacky, it was positively sticky, talcum powder made it worse. By the end of the night i don't think there was any dancefloor left and everyone left on platform soles with layers of the floor attached to their shoes!

Social source share

Now then, Dancers beware!!!

For the rampant Health and Safety Commissars have decreed-- that in Council owned buildings which have dancefloors that sometimes are used for other purposes( meetings, polling stations etc) then the "dancefloor" has to have a non slip surface!!!!!!! :thumbup:

You couldn't make it up

Tony

Social source share

I think its a great idea to give a mark out of 10 for a dance floor when in reporting the event in lookbacks and i for one will start doing that,

i need a floor to be a bit slippery but not like an ice rink cos of me poor old knees :thumbup:

Social source share

Nothing worse than being at a venue with top tunes and a shite dancefloor. I hate whwn you get a few soul tourists in and they dance in a circle spilling beer on the floor and mimicking the crowd :thumbsup: . That really gets to me. Sticky beery floors really fry my head.

Maybe the promoter/DJ/somebody should tell them :lol: .

I've told 'em from the decks before, and when it didn't have the desired effect got down and moved them.

I wish a few more people would do the same 'cos this can really take the edge of a night for me.

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

I reckon cancer of the Colon rates pretty high in things worse than a sticky dancefloor.

i think that,s a sticky backdoor, pikey :wicked:

dance floors as you would expect are one of the most important things

at a soul night, and should be considered when you hire the room.

the worst ive come across was a concrete floor painted,

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

stoke kings hall sat the 13th just wasnt slippey for me found it hard to have a good blast even with talc down ,dont like to use it coz if the dance floor is rated as a good dancefloor it should be ok . On my soap box now to the so called soulies who go to venues wear decent shoes not fuckin trainers seen many who put tons of talc down then do two steps n f*** off :wicked: !!!Makes me think what the hell was that all about i know we all think where the dogs bollocks when it comes to dancing and lost in our own little worlds when out there strutting our stuff but come on RIGHT SHOES ON RIGHT FLOOR HEAVEN.

I do't really agree with the concept of "right shoes". I have been dancing to Soul for 15 years and have always been more comfortable in trainers or desert boots to be honest. I find shoes really uncomfortable and like light footwear to be able to dance the way I do. However, I do take the point about excessive talc and I only use it very sparingly, but I need to in that rubber soles are not very glidey but leather shoes are just uncomfortable.

regards, Andy

Social source share

I do't really agree with the concept of "right shoes". I have been dancing to Soul for 15 years and have always been more comfortable in trainers or desert boots to be honest. I find shoes really uncomfortable and like light footwear to be able to dance the way I do. However, I do take the point about excessive talc and I only use it very sparingly, but I need to in that rubber soles are not very glidey but leather shoes are just uncomfortable.

regards, Andy

I take it you don't stomp or shuffle then Andy? You wouldn't be able to in desert boots or trainers!

Social source share

Guest souldancer

dance floors as you would expect are one of the most important things

at a soul night, and should be considered when you hire the room.

Most definitely wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately in some cases venues are run by promoters who either have never been near a dancefloor in their lives or, not broken sweat on one for many a year! :wicked:

Social source share

Have to agree sticky dancefloors are about as welcome as a fart in a wetsuit, they drive me to distraction, as well as making my old legs ache. However did you know some people like it like that, in fact I was at a venue in York a couple of years ago & the floor had been specially polished for dancing & was excellent, when up pop's Kate from Hull, who likes it tacky, with a bloody big American style prison mop & proceeds to start washing the floor!!!! This went down like a one legged man at an arse kicking contest, as you can well imagine!!!!! ranting_1.gif:thumbup::sleep3:

We still love you though Kate, you silly sod,

Spot. :unsure:

p.s. No offence was mean't or should be taken from the reference to "One Legged Men". no.gif

Social source share

Have to agree sticky dancefloors are about as welcome as a fart in a wetsuit, they drive me to distraction, as well as making my old legs ache. However did you know some people like it like that, in fact I was at a venue in York a couple of years ago & the floor had been specially polished for dancing & was excellent, when up pop's Kate from Hull, who likes it tacky, with a bloody big American style prison mop & proceeds to start washing the floor!!!! This went down like a one legged man at an arse kicking contest, as you can well imagine!!!!! :rolleyes::unsure::P

We still love you though Kate, you silly sod,

Spot. :yes:

p.s. No offence was mean't or should be taken from the reference to "One Legged Men". :P

heres a pic of a fart in a wetsuit

post-2061-1192646526.jpg

Social source share

Spoilt the night.

No talc in sight either.

Ed

DESTINATION SOUL 27th Oct Freuchie Fife the guy that owns the venue has a bucket of talc he says he will put down class and with the djs on show should be some moves going off. Nothing worse for me personally than a crap dance flloor or arses spilling beer on the floor .Shoes or trainer issue dosent matter for me some people like trainers others shoes whatever makes your style of dancing work for you.

post-8405-1192647718_thumb.jpg

RICHIE CONN ALSO ADDED TO DJS 3pm SATURDAY START TIME

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Nothing worse than being at a venue with top tunes and a shite dancefloor. I hate whwn you get a few soul tourists in and they dance in a circle spilling beer on the floor and mimicking the crowd :unsure: . That really gets to me. Sticky beery floors really fry my head.

Couldnt have sed it better myself!!!

XXX

Social source share

Guest barnsey

I reckon cancer of the Colon rates pretty high in things worse than a sticky dancefloor.

thats a close call but id go with dateing someone with colon cancer wearing edable underwear and a glint in there eye as just edgeing it :unsure:

Social source share

I alway's check out dancefloor - very important - second to the DJ line up of course, as the music is what I'm there for 1st n foremost...

Must admit my style of dancin' has changed in past 10 yrs - used to love slippy - always had talc - but only put in corner of dance floor, so it didn't go everywhere, unlike a few dancer's these day's.. :lol: drives me mad n a selfish thing to do...

Now I prefer sticky, it's always handy when there's carpet around the dance floor, cause if the floor ends up covered in talc I can dance on the carpet, which I love to do anyway...

"The Fox" had a brilliant dance floor with carpet n "Ye old Bell Inn" the same ( Life Line venue's) - "Burnley" too, DDA to the right handside is good for dancing, the left side find's Paul in a sea of talc laugh.gif Lowton main room n Bidds too. Keele was just a sea of talc - from the record bar looked like the floor was white, just couldn't stand up...

The answer talc for sticky n a bar of soap for slippy... :D

Karen

Social source share

Guest souldancer

I alway's check out dancefloor - very important - second to the DJ line up of course, as the music is what I'm there for 1st n foremost...

Must admit my style of dancin' has changed in past 10 yrs - used to love slippy - always had talc - but only put in corner of dance floor, so it didn't go everywhere, unlike a few dancer's these day's.. :( drives me mad n a selfish thing to do...

Now I prefer sticky, it's always handy when there's carpet around the dance floor, cause if the floor ends up covered in talc I can dance on the carpet, which I love to do anyway...

"The Fox" had a brilliant dance floor with carpet n "Ye old Bell Inn" the same ( Life Line venue's) - "Burnley" too, DDA to the right handside is good for dancing, the left side find's Paul in a sea of talc :lol: Lowton main room n Bidds too. Keele was just a sea of talc - from the record bar looked like the floor was white, just couldn't stand up...

The answer talc for sticky n a bar of soap for slippy... :yes:

Karen

I think dancefloors that are too slippy are just as bad as too sticky. Perhaps even more so for fear of falling over!

Trouble is ...if a load of talc is put down at the start a night it's then too slippy, but the talc disappears somewhere!! anyone know where? it's one of the soul scenes mysteries!

But once that happens it then eases off to perfect conditions - for a while anyway! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think dancefloors that are too slippy are just as bad as too sticky. Perhaps even more so for fear of falling over!

Trouble is ...if a load of talc is put down at the start a night it's then too slippy, but the talc disappears somewhere!! anyone know where? it's one of the soul scenes mysteries!

But once that happens it then eases off to perfect conditions - for a while anyway! :thumbsup:

Maybe we should reserve talc for pouring into the pints of the "beer sloppers" :lol: .

Social source share

:D Thanks Karen - I didn't know that about soap!

I'll be taking a bar to Bisley. I wonder how long before they latch on and confiscate it at the door along with talc (definately no longer required) and water.

Personaly I dont like talc, I wear leather souled brogues, talc makes some floors deadly to me, but dare'nt say too much :D cos the wife uses it cos of her rubber souled shoes :D

Bazza

Social source share

Personaly I dont like talc, I wear leather souled brogues, talc makes some floors deadly to me, but dare'nt say too much :D cos the wife uses it cos of her rubber souled shoes :D

Bazza

I use talc at most venues, and always leather soled shoes - brogues or occasionaly Loake Loafers.

But maybe my legs don't move as fast as yours Bazza! :D

Social source share

everyones "ideal" dancefloor is not the same.... depends how you dance i guess ? slider, stepper, stomper, acrobat, 2 steps.....and the list goes on....best to have potions and shoes in yer bag.... from 2 pair of shoes , to talc, soap,and even spray brake cleaner for the ice rink floors to slow em down and make em safe...

best dance floor for me has to be brighouse ritz....it must rise n' fall 4 inches it's that well sprung, just the right amount of traction to push but slippy enough to slide n spin...heaven !.... and with no addatives except a great floor ! :thumbup:

casper :thumbsup:

Social source share

Likewise-the only way to move-I'd recommend the Kent Soul Club Venue Floor, (Function Rooms, Star Hill Rochester); but the leather soles are the way to 'glide' :thumbup:

Yep, excellent venue and nice floor :thumbsup:

Still saw a couple of "beer sloppers" encroaching onto it at the last one though.

I still sometimes use a bit of talc there. I'd love to see it tested by more "energetic" dancers.

"STOLEN HOURS" 1st Anniversary, ***RAMSGATE*** 24th NOVEMBER.

2 Rooms + Accomodation + Free unissued Vinyl (first 100 tickets)

*** Change of venue - see Events thread ***

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

They should sell talc behind the bar, they would make few quid :thumbsup:

:thumbup::lol: They would have made a fortune at this venue!

me5.jpg:yes::D:lol:

"STOLEN HOURS" 1st Anniversary, ***RAMSGATE*** 24th NOVEMBER.

2 Rooms + Accomodation + Free unissued Vinyl (first 100 tickets)

*** Change of venue - see Events thread ***

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

were not out tonight i dont think so any way, trying to get a few weeks rest, but will see you in the next few weeks no doubt karen, if we dont have a great night

Social source share

Guest bill storey

Hey sticky dance floors just aren't pleasant IMHO, however what also gets my goat is when the flyer states great dance floor and it isn't, I've been to a couple of doo's over the last month or so where the claim was great dance floor only to find it was damned sticky, luckily for me I had spare shoes with the afore mentioned leather soles and this did help alot but I also got told off for putting talc down because it would ruin their highly polished floor, ' Highly polished my a**e'

Social source share

Hey sticky dance floors just aren't pleasant IMHO, however what also gets my goat is when the flyer states great dance floor and it isn't, I've been to a couple of doo's over the last month or so where the claim was great dance floor only to find it was damned sticky, luckily for me I had spare shoes with the afore mentioned leather soles and this did help alot but I also got told off for putting talc down because it would ruin their highly polished floor, ' Highly polished my a**e'

Just as bad at a northern gig - no dancefloor :thumbsup: So you have to dance on carpets :ohmy:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert