Johnny Scott-let Me Be A Winner-2 Vesions

Johnny Scott-Let me be a winner-Portra

Came out twice, originally with long spoken intro, second issue which went straight into the beat. Anyone remeber the story behind this.

Dave

No story issued twice with a long slow intro and a better mix on the first one. The first one is harder.

Social source share

Do adore this track...still needs more airplay IMHO. Mate of mine the late Steve Plimmer in Shrewsbury introduced me to it in the mid 80's....only just got a copy at long last myself...incidentally off you Dave!

Be very interested to hear the vocal intro version...any sound bites?

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Came out twice, originally with long spoken intro, second issue which went straight into the beat. Anyone remeber the story behind this.

Dave

I don't know the story, Stateside, Dave but I was the first to play the long intro version over here.

Early 80's, Sam and Arthur had been playing the track for a month or two with the 'straight into the beat' mix.

They'd picked up a couple of copies in the states and returned soon after with more. The same night we were on at Rotherham Tiffanys allnighter in the main room and I was following Sam. Before I took over I had a quick furtle through his Sales Box (as you do) and pulled out a copy of Johnny Scott (which only they had copies of until that point).

I gave him about £8 for it and followed Sam, kicking off with my new Johnny Scott 45 at which point we both nearly fell off the stage... and the dancers left the floor... as the slow intro kicked in. They'd bought the stock and never bothered to play 'em.

Frantically Sam took over the spare deck and headphones to see if the other half dozen copies in his Sales Box were the same. As I recall, only one other copy from the six had the long intro, but that was enough for him not to want to buy the copy back from me!

Strange but true!

As to which is the rarest today, I haven't got a clue.

laugh.png Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

I don't know the story, Stateside, Dave but I was the first to play the long intro version over here :no:

Early 80's, Sam and Arthur had been playing the track for a month or two with the 'straight into the beat' mix.

They'd picked up a couple of copies in the states and returned soon after with more. The same night we were on at Rotherham Tiffanys allnighter in the main room and I was following Sam. Before I took over I had a quick furtle through his Sales Box (as you do) and pulled out a copy of Johnny Scott (which only they had copies of until that point).

I gave him about £8 for it and followed Sam, kicking off with my new Johnny Scott 45 at which point we both nearly fell off the stage... and the dancers left the floor... as the slow intro kicked in. They'd bought the stock and never bothered to play 'em.

Frantically Sam took over the spare deck and headphones to see if the other half dozen copies in his Sales Box were the same. As I recall, only one other copy from the six had the long intro, but that was enough for him not to want to buy the copy back from me!

Strange but true!

:lol:

Roundabout this time i wrote to johnny scott and he sent me a couple of copies (without the spoken intro) so maybe they had dropped the long intro for commercial reasons. He never mentioned it in his letter he did say there seemed to be a lot of interest in his single in England and hoped to do something over there, He also sent me a promo photo but although i know i have it somewhere just not sure where- as you do

DJ

Social source share

Would there be a big price difference between the two versions?

Got one without the spoken intro from you Dave if memory serves me right.

Social source share

I don't know the story, Stateside, Dave but I was the first to play the long intro version over here :no:

Strange but true!

THINK IT WAS ABOUT THIS TIME MY GOOD BUDDIES THE STEELE BROTHERS FROM BARNSLEY ACCIDENTLY PURCHASED TWO COPIES AND I WAS THE LUCKY RECIPITANT OF THE SPARE ONE WITH THE SPOKEN INTRO :lol::thumbup: .

BRI.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Thought i`d reactivate this thread :wicked: . Been meaning to check my copy for years,just found it in my to do/  check pile :ohmy: . Good news mine`s got the spoken intro :D .It was more  by luck  then anything i didn`t know at the time there was 2 mixs,had it for years and got it cheap on ebay.

Any ideas what year this was released?Checking on line ,Dennis of Greece on his blog mentioned  it could be 1980 which would match what Sean Hempsey said about it first getting spins.

Have to say think this 45 could do with a reactivation on radio/early door sets  clubs/pubs. :thumbup:

Social source share

Thought i`d reactivate this thread :wicked: . Been meaning to check my copy for years,just found it in my to do/  check pile :ohmy: . Good news mine`s got the spoken intro :D .It was more  by luck  then anything i didn`t know at the time there was 2 mixs,had it for years and got it cheap on ebay.

Any ideas what year this was released?Checking on line ,Dennis of Greece on his blog mentioned  it could be 1980 which would match what Sean Hempsey said about it first getting spins.

Have to say think this 45 could do with a reactivation on radio/early door sets  clubs/pubs. :thumbup:

I agree, been playin' it on the radio, always to a great response, long intro version .............

Social source share

I agree, been playin' it on the radio, always to a great response, long intro version .............

Funny enough it was listening to one of your old shows from Solar that made me dig it out :g:  :lol: .

I will be in touch Dave re the other tracks you played hopefully sometime today which we talked about a month ago at Masters at Soul.I haven`t forgot,it`s just finding time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Okay a bit of googling,

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/138985/SCOTT,_JOHNNY

The Portra one, is there another Portra one? What is this like? Do I have it already?

https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/JohnnyScott11

And a relatively recent one, nice to see him still going, description doesn't really sell but may download it tonight as a thanks for his earlier stuff. Anyone heard this?

Social source share

How many LP's has he done, any details of them?

Can't find anything on interweb, thought I had one but not at home at moment so can't check

i`ve only got another 45 on same label which Simon Mention earlier in previous thread. Mind i can`t remember buying it but it`s  marked in the Jm book as got..

Off to search for it :wave: .

Hope your well James.

Edited by Hammersoul
Social source share

i`ve only got another 45 on same label which Simon Mention earlier in previous thread. Mind i can`t remember buying it but it`s  marked in the Jm book as got..

Off to search for it :wave: .

Hope your well James.

Other Portra 45's are - JUANITA REDDICK - WON'T YOU PLEASE CALL which is a jazzy tune, plus there's at least four 45's by TOM SANDERS

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are quite a few others including one played briefly at Stafford :wicked:

I tracked Johnny Scott down when he was all the rage and covered his work in Blackbeat with a pic....he sent me one of each of the Portra 45s which I still have!

You could`t dig out the mag and see what year he released his 45`s could ya Steve? :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Quite a few people seem to be getting a bit mixed up on this thread.

Just to confirm a few things.

The first copy's of said record came into the UK via Dave Raistrick & the first 3 people to play it that very week were Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn & Steve Mannion, all supplied the said disc by Dave.

Hope that helps.

Social source share

Here is the original article I wrote on Johnny Scott, it references when the second version was discovered. Remember talking to Johnny like it was yesterday even though it was over 30 years ago now! There's two pics of Johnny and one of "The singing dentist" OT Sykes....

Steve

post-2175-0-26711300-1375634080_thumb.jp

post-2175-0-23192100-1375634123_thumb.jp

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here is the original article I wrote on Johnny Scott, it references when the second version was discovered. Remember talking to Johnny like it was yesterday even though it was over 30 years ago now! There's two pics of Johnny and one of "The singing dentist" OT Sykes....

Steve

Thanks Steve. Confirms what I said in 2007. The old memory still intact (or at least it was back then lol).

What an absolutely fantastic mag that was. Way ahead of its time.

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!