Soul Night Disgrace

No way no.gif lets put it at a vote all in favour playing boots or originals only , I would like to see the end result.

come on mate who cares as long as its a good night :lol: n we can dance eh suprised craig s not waded in yet ha ha

Edited by eddyg
Social source share

• Replies 749
  • Views 47.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

No doubt the girl in question knows all about this now rather lengthy debate which is re-running old ground . Im not sure how she now feels but my thoughts go out to her, Yes I have my own views and standards on this highly charged issue but consider this:-

If the girl is considered up to the job by the events promoters, and can fill the floor for an hour keeping a hundred or so paying punters happy, then it seems to me it would be a sad loss if this debate turns out to have upset her enough to force her away from DJ'ing

If they danced, smiled and didn't ask for their money back - She did the Job!!

M. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Someone made a point about a particular DJ and it developed into a discussion, nobody's attacked her personally, just stated that they disagree with her 'ethics' on this point, and why. Been plenty of posts on the other side as well. As I said in an earlier post about 500 pages ago, if someone is familiar with the soul scene then they should be aware that playing boots in controversial. And if you're going to put yourself up as a DJ then you have to be prepared to defend your choice in records, both in musical taste and in format - if you're not then you shouldn't be doing it.

A perfectly rational and sensible point Rachel which applies to the issue in general, not just to this specific thread. Your final sentence, in my view, sums things up nicely without pointing the finger at anyone in particular.

No wonder you're a Moderator!

Excellent post, pity some of the debate wasn't as evenly balanced and thought through.

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Trevski

(only just caught up with this thread, when I left it, it was at page 11  :lol: Suffering from 'Man Flu' as a direct effect of the sub-zero temperature at Cleethorpes! Off back to bed)

The BBB or otherwise known as the Boot Burning Brothers

count me in

post-1355-1200339014_thumb.jpg

But Winnie, did a witch have to be a witch ????

Think i've got the answer, tie her to her collection (+ a few rocks) then throw her in the local pond !

If she floats they were boots ! If she drowns they were originals ! & we can all go back to dissing Modern rolleyes.gif:lol:

Funny as f**k especialy the response! PMSL!!

Liked Bearsy's remark about stating boots on the flyers etc. Bit like the packaging at the Supermarket "Warning may contain boots" :lol:

Anyhow, I heard she was put up to it by Kev Roberts..............

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Any chance of a playlist then? Or even just a 'yes I played boots and I'm proud of it' or a 'no I didn't play boots, how dare you' message....? ph34r.gif

explain why she should the punters had a good night she is a decent dj one complaint n wheres he vanished to n the shits hit the fan welcome to the strange world of northern soul

Edited by eddyg
Social source share

No doubt the girl in question knows all about this now rather lengthy debate which is re-running old ground . Im not sure how she now feels but my thoughts go out to her, Yes I have my own views and standards on this highly charged issue but consider this:-

If the girl is considered up to the job by the events promoters, and can fill the floor for an hour keeping a hundred or so paying punters happy, then it seems to me it would be a sad loss if this debate turns out to have upset her enough to force her away from DJ'ing

If they danced, smiled and didn't ask for their money back - She did the Job!!

M. thumbsup.gif

Well said !!!!

Social source share

Someone made a point about a particular DJ and it developed into a discussion, nobody's attacked her personally, just stated that they disagree with her 'ethics' on this point, and why. Been plenty of posts on the other side as well. As I said in an earlier post about 500 pages ago, if someone is familiar with the soul scene then they should be aware that playing boots in controversial. And if you're going to put yourself up as a DJ then you have to be prepared to defend your choice in records, both in musical taste and in format - if you're not then you shouldn't be doing it.

I know Rachel i have read every post, but who really knows this woman and is she so up on the scene like many others are ? did she play boots ? what was the night she djd at and what was their music policy ? 14 pages later and loads of off topic posting and bickering and still no one knows anything about the night personally, surely a few answers to them questions would be better than some of the stuff posted on this thread, if it was just a thread about people preference to which format they prefered then fine but a Dj was accused and that was what the thread is about isnt it and not what format you prefer huh.gif I just feel that yes she (alldgedly) played boots and no i dont agree but has been slaughtered at times on here and at the end of the day does anyone care or know how its affected her if it has at all, ok maybe she did wrong but like i said was anyone hurt or killed,

Social source share

I know Rachel i have read every post, but who really knows this woman and is she so up on the scene like many others are ? did she play boots ? what was the night she djd at and what was their music policy ? 14 pages later and loads of off topic posting and bickering and still no one knows anything about the night personally, surely a few answers to them questions would be better than some of the stuff posted on this thread, if it was just a thread about people preference to which format they prefered then fine but a Dj was accused and that was what the thread is about isnt it and not what format you prefer huh.gif I just feel that yes she (alldgedly) played boots and no i dont agree but has been slaughtered at times on here and at the end of the day does anyone care or know how its affected her if it has at all, ok maybe she did wrong but like i said was anyone hurt or killed,

have a look through albums mate she is well up on the scene she dosent need to explain it was a local do so why all the fuss agree with what you say mate

Social source share

come on mate who cares as long as its a good night :lol: n we can dance eh suprised craig s not waded in yet ha ha

Hi Ed mate yes craig is too scared laugh.gif I know what your saying about the good night thing and remember about the hollybush thread when I stated the dance floor don't care what's it played on and i think we chatted and agreed at that soul night NR crewe when i came up with Phil and Mom , why I wanted a vote was simply to see what the out come would be , not to prove a point against the DJ in question. Anyway mate I recall I lost a bet on you at the last connaught night I thought you was well in there :lol: see you soon.

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Hi Ed mate yes craig is too scared laugh.gif I know what your saying about the good night thing and remember about the hollybush thread when I stated the dance floor don't care what's it played on and i think we chatted and agreed at that soul night NR crewe when i came up with Phil and Mom , why I wanted a vote was simply to see what the out come would be , not to prove a point against the DJ in question. Anyway mate I recall I lost a bet on you at the last connaught night I thought you was well in there :lol: see you soon.

nah mate the charm failed me that night pmsl you know who the dj is anyway

Social source share

Hey Chalky

Me and dawn are sitting in The Hollybush waiting for you and Sue.

Where are you.

Social source share

Behave Bearsy... a killing... or at the very least a serious maiming... is only good for around 689 hits and maybe a couple of dozen posts wicked.gif

Im just hoping that no one notices my boots when i play at Letchworth on Friday :lol:

Social source share

I think its really sad that people have to resort to playing counterfeit music to get and give a buzz, I'm sure there is an analogy out there somewhere however at the moment I can't be arsed to even think of one let alone two.

I wish those that play boots, start their sessions with a "I'll be playing illegal copies tonight because I'm a top notch jock not a "Ive got more money than sense collector"

"No compromise. no surrender, keep counterfeit record in your box at 'ome"

have you never played a pressing paul... ever?.... just asking

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I think legally, If you own the Record, Cd or whatever, you are allowed, in law, to make a copy for your own personal use. This became the case way back, when the cassette tape came into popular home usage. yes.gif

Nope, it didn't become law, it was simply pointed out that no one minded a user copying something for a legitimate use (In most cases that would be 'Taping it for the car'). Although it was still technically illegal it was regarded as fair use, as was backing up your computer discs and tapes.

There is however currently a discussion going on about making digital copies for personal use legal, which I personally think is MPs finding something to waste their time on when there's more important things to be done...

Meanwhile, back on topic, the 'Originals only' thing is one of the things I find myself most unable to understand. All I'm interested in is the sound, and if a repress has a better sound than the original give me that one!!! I am opposed to illegal recordings, and I think Mp3s are one degredation of sound too far, but other than that, all I'm interested in is what's in the grooves, not how much the grooves cost, how long it took to find them, or where they were discovered.

Edited by JJMMWGDuPree
Social source share

Some people are so concerned about DJ etiquette and the financial value of records that the music itself and the importance of entertaining the crowd gets overlooked.

Who talks about the music anymore?

It all seems to be about DJ worship and who can afford the most expensive records. No offence to anyone but I find it bizarre that some people are upset because a DJ played a few records at a local event without needing to take out a mortgage.

Competitiveness and oneupmanship - and that's what this is really about - is understandable to a degree but when it's this excessive it does nothing for the paying public, the artists or the soul scene itself. In fact, it probably alienates many younger people who are badly needed on the scene.

What we really need are more juke boxes.

wink.gif

Paul Mooney

Social source share

have you never played a pressing paul... ever?.... just asking

last time I played a boot was 12 years ago ohmy.gif ..I don't have any now as I gave them all away to you and matey from Boston FOC.

Unlike you I have this passion to play origonal vinyl and would never compromise with boots just to satisfy the dance floor, remember I'm a collector NOT a grade one NS DJ like your goodself.

Remember I can cope with banter, personal shyte these days just drifts above my head.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Some people are so concerned about DJ etiquette and the financial value of records that the music itself and the importance of entertaining the crowd gets overlooked.

It all seems to be about DJ worship and who can afford the most expensive records. No offence to anyone but I find it bizarre that some people are upset because a DJ played a few records at a local event without needing to take out a mortgage.

Competitiveness and oneupmanship - and that's what this is really about - is understandable to a degree but when it's this excessive it does nothing for the paying public, the artists or the soul scene itself. In fact, it probably alienates many younger people who are badly needed on the scene.

wink.gif

Paul Mooney

this is probably the best post of the lot well said mate ktf

Social source share

last time I played a boot was 12 years ago ohmy.gif ..I don't have any now as I gave them all away to you and matey from Boston FOC.

Unlike you I have this passion to play origonal vinyl and would never compromise with boots just to satisfy the dance floor, remember I'm a collector NOT like you a DJ.

sorry paul, my mistake, thought you still deejayed, if you don't there was your spitting image dee-jaying at the skeg weekender in sept.

did you want me to delete your name from the resident dee jay list at stamford on the video i made, being a collector and not dee jay and all, i can do that, no probs? .... just asking

and yes, i did and do appreciate those records even though only a couple eventually got to me i do applaud your generosity, thank you. :lol:

Social source share

Buy a new hardback book? . . . . . or wait for the paperback to come out (preferably cheap in supermarket)?

Film premiere in Leicester Square? . . . . . or get the DVD from filmclub a year later?

Stay up till stupid o'clock to listen to ASADAN? . . . . .or catch it on listenagain

Do the purists extend their views to other commodities or is it just NS that has to be ultra-original?

Social source share

:lol:

Paul Mooney

Very nicely put ,and absolutely spot on . wish I had posted this yes.gif

Bazza

Social source share

did you want me to delete your name from the resident dee jay list at stamford on the video i made, being a collector and not dee jay and all, i can do that, no probs? .... just asking

I have no problem whatseover with you deleting my name from your VIDEO, in fact I'd be chuffed if you did Michael.

I am a collector of soul music foremost and means so much more to me than 60mins behind a console, if folk ask me to share my collection with them, then I will if time allow be only to please to do so.

If there is something elitist in that then I apologise to anyone I may have offended.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

All I can say is - As most people accept that boots are ano-no in todays scene- What morals has the person who plays these boots got!

Dublin 3years ago.

I get told in the 70s modern room Im on first and apart from Keith Money all the other djs are local . Problems with the equipment meant I only got to play for half an hour. That was bad enough being told my time was up but then to watch as 2 hours later a local dj is playing compilations including Timelless legends and reissues of "Beware your pulling my strings" Just made my blood boil and what was even worse was this same dj wants to know some of the tunes I was playing as I had returned from New York a couple of months earlier with a couple of nice numbers. I told him to go F**K himself and wait until thery get reissued in 5years or so.

This is my principle

Request - Namcy Sinatra - These boots are made of walking and this is what theyll do- One of these days these boots are gonna be smashed all over you!

Not literally as I am a pacifist!

AS the KKK was to white supremacy we will start a new cult -The BBB or otherwise known as the Boot Burning Brothers - Anyone want to join- membership limited to original people only!

Steve, as I instigated the event guess I should reply in some way. The modern room was to placate some who wanted a room for 1 type of music, i didnt get involved with equipment, djs or running order. Thats not a cop out and remember talking with you on the night about your set time (and your dress code) and understood your glum looks when I ventured in there.

I'm not sure what the fact most were local djs has to do with it, tho as I told you at time I woulda put you on a bit later,

I havnt been aware of the boot thing that transpired that day/night so apologies.

regard this debate our main room was 100 original that night and remains so. When I started the club nearly 6 years ago we allowed some boots to encourage the younger djs to play at the monthly events, many obtain boots early in their collections either via freebies from older mates spreading the word or more usually through lack of awareness.

The club and collections has grown stronger now no need for any boots. Except unreleased on a carver or sawdust etc. Some argue why not allow cds then, think this makes the dj a little lazy and tempted to play more than one track off a cd, A set should reflect the djs passion and work he put into sourcing and structuring his sets.

Offering overplayed past there sell by boots or copying a cd tracklist is apathetic and not why we all got into this scene in the first place.

The music I first heard for the most part I still love (hence our occasional oldies night and always play a few every time) but I want to be educated along the way and introduced to new arists and sounds, keeping things edgy not comfy otherwise its just a non stop reminisce world, with "magpie" djs taking the easy option from others hard graft.

No need for reputable dealers, anoraks or djs willing to continue taking risks anymore!. At the other extreme I also get peed off with djs who seem unable to play anything under say a £ 1000,again they dont take time to look to adding something fresh unheard and probably cheap to their playlist.

There will always be a place for djs/clubs who play boots, I just wish they advertised this fact beforehand. "Serious" nights can also include cheap records and people up for a laugh

Btw this year were probably reintroducing a modern room, which I will keep an eye on, the only new releases will be

nu soul.

Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

Buy a new hardback book? . . . . . or wait for the paperback to come out (preferably cheap in supermarket)?

Film premiere in Leicester Square? . . . . . or get the DVD from filmclub a year later?

Stay up till stupid o'clock to listen to ASADAN? . . . . .or catch it on listenagain

Do the purists extend their views to other commodities or is it just NS that has to be ultra-original?

It all depends what you're into.

I don't really collect books, so I'm happy to read the paperback, not own the first edition.

I do like old film posters, and I've got a few hanging on the walls at home - but for me they would be no point in buying reprints because that would be meaningless. Sure, I could sell them and put up reprints instead, but I wouldn't get the same pleasure from looking at them. I'd love some of the rare cult posters, but I can't afford them, so I buy the best originals I can afford.

That's why I don't buy bootlegs - where's the pleasure in it?

Social source share

I have no problem whatseover with you deleting my name from your VIDEO, in fact I'd be chuffed if you did Michael.

I am a collector of soul music foremost and means so much more to me than 60mins behind a console, if folk ask me to share my collection with them, then I will if time allow be only to please to do so.

If there is something elitist in that then I apologise to anyone I may have offended.

does that mean you want to distance yourself from being publicised about playing at a venue because you feel that, as a collector you don't need to be part of the P.R. unlike the mere mortals who actually D.J. at the venue.

your arrogance is growing beyond you wit paul.

and while we're on the subject, if you haven't played a pressing for 12 years the, since you (as far as i remember) have been dee-jaying since 1974 then that makes it about 30 years that you have played the odd pressing. this girl hasn't been deejaying as long as that paul so.... double standards again?

oh, no need to apologise, there is nothing you could do to offend me, you don't know me well enough.

Edited by coops
Social source share

I'm reading, but like many others fail to see where this is going. I made my point as best and as inoffensively as possible but cringe slightly whilst watching what appears to be deliberate taunting of members to respond to teasing statements about whether they are collectors or DJ's etc etc amonst other things when its obvious there isn't much more they can contribute to ref. the format of discs dj'd with.

Firstly the lady in question should not be ridiculed or personally offended. She may or may not play boots/re-issues/conterfeits (there are differences) - I'm against it but do not have anything against her or the promoters. So long as they inform me of their format policy prior to attending their respective venues.

Secondly - I'm now one of the flock - tuning into the thread on a regular basis to see whats been said or who's been wound up - as I said in one of my posts on this thread are we that sad that we thrive on stuff like this?

Thirdly and more importantly, I personally feel that the scene I have known for thirty odd years is changing dramatically due to the beliefs and thoughts typified in this thread. Would there have been as heated a debate such as this 10 years ago. Probably not - and at fear of being classed as an old dinosaur I'm afraid that generally it is the ones that have been on the scene for a while who maintain or believe in the supposed unwritten rules - I hasten to add that there are exceptions. This lady may indeed be like me and after 5-10 years of DJing, collect and DJ with only originals - who knows and who cares as long as we know beforehand and have the choice to attend because of that and many other factors.

Fourthly - I am one of those that goes up to the decks to look at a record - mainly coz I want to know what it is coz its brill or coz I doubt the authenticity of its originality - there I admit it - if it assists me in making my decision as to whether I want to attend a function again or one that is being held that has that DJ spinning then thats my right - and don't anyone come out with that tripe that I am not on this scene for the music and that I am a snob coz I've probably cried more tears whilst dancing and watching clips on u-tube than I have over my own family.

We really must try not to make the lass in question feel bad - just that there are many who are against her principles but one thing I will say is, there shouldn't be a DJ on our scene who is ashamed of stating their playlists - whether its for others to decipher whether she played boots etc or not, or to see what kept the floor busy. If you're ashamed to then you shouldn't be DJing - and, no, I'm not trying to coax her into listing.

No doubt I'll be back - but sometimes almost wish that the originator would close the thread.

Social source share

I'm reading, but like many others fail to see where this is going. I made my point as best and as inoffensively as possible but cringe slightly whilst watching what appears to be deliberate taunting of members to respond to teasing statements about whether they are collectors or DJ's etc etc amonst other things when its obvious there isn't much more they can contribute to ref. the format of discs dj'd with.

Firstly the lady in question should not be ridiculed or personally offended. She may or may not play boots/re-issues/conterfeits (there are differences) - I'm against it but do not have anything against her or the promoters. So long as they inform me of their format policy prior to attending their respective venues.

Secondly - I'm now one of the flock - tuning into the thread on a regular basis to see whats been said or who's been wound up - as I said in one of my posts on this thread are we that sad that we thrive on stuff like this?

Thirdly and more importantly, I personally feel that the scene I have known for thirty odd years is changing dramatically due to the beliefs and thoughts typified in this thread. Would there have been as heated a debate such as this 10 years ago. Probably not - and at fear of being classed as an old dinosaur I'm afraid that generally it is the ones that have been on the scene for a while who maintain or believe in the supposed unwritten rules - I hasten to add that there are exceptions. This lady may indeed be like me and after 5-10 years of DJing, collect and DJ with only originals - who knows and who cares as long as we know beforehand and have the choice to attend because of that and many other factors.

Fourthly - I am one of those that goes up to the decks to look at a record - mainly coz I want to know what it is coz its brill or coz I doubt the authenticity of its originality - there I admit it - if it assists me in making my decision as to whether I want to attend a function again or one that is being held that has that DJ spinning then thats my right - and don't anyone come out with that tripe that I am not on this scene for the music and that I am a snob coz I've probably cried more tears whilst dancing and watching clips on u-tube than I have over my own family.

We really must try not to make the lass in question feel bad - just that there are many who are against her principles but one thing I will say is, there shouldn't be a DJ on our scene who is ashamed of stating their playlists - whether its for others to decipher whether she played boots etc or not, or to see what kept the floor busy. If you're ashamed to then you shouldn't be DJing - and, no, I'm not trying to coax her into listing.

No doubt I'll be back - but sometimes almost wish that the originator would close the thread.

the only reason she hasnt posted a reply is because shes not a member but she is very aware of whats going on through mates a few know the facts and the truth which eventually will be outed n agree mate this thread has run its course now

Social source share

So no one has lobbed the 2nd stone yet then? Or maybe I might have missed a bit of pea gravel...... ( the 1st un is a bit dubious too :thumbsup::P:thumbup: )

I was sat here wondering to myself, If this would have all kicked off if it had been a bloke that was alledgedlly (and as yet we have had no definate proof) playing boots. Has whatisface who posted originally been back on with concrete evidence yet?????

Social source share

My sentiments as well, if not the originator then a mod.

It's gone beyond discussion and is getting insulting and personal.

Its unlikely those with strong opinions will alter them anyway.

Its ben discussed before and I'm sure will be discussed again.

Putting things in perspective read the Massive Thanks thread.

Now that is important.

Social source share

So no one has lobbed the 2nd stone yet then? Or maybe I might have missed a bit of pea gravel...... ( the 1st un is a bit dubious too :thumbsup::P:thumbup: )

I was sat here wondering to myself, If this would have all kicked off if it had been a bloke that was alledgedlly (and as yet we have had no definate proof) playing boots. Has whatisface who posted originally been back on with concrete evidence yet?????

==============

Similar thoughts crossed my mind. Also wondered if their is a DJ who's never played a boot or re-issue??

Time for some more back-slapping :D:thumbup:

Social source share

Now that is important.

Thank god it's not just me - can only debate and put your point across so much Tabs.

Social source share

Putting things in perspective read the Massive Thanks thread.Now that is important.

================

:thumbsup::P:thumbup:

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Now that is important.

:P:thumbup::D:thumbup:
Social source share