• Replies 165
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I might be wrong, but the problem you have is that there are more people in your boat than there are spots at venues. I think for inexperienced DJ's to expect a middle of the night spot is unrealistic. moaning about opening spots sounds impatient to me.

In answer to your above question, people who make it clear they just wanna dj at your venue for their own benefits or to stick on their 'dj'ing cv' would never be first in line for a spot. Surely promotors will always lean towards people who 'claim' to want to support and help their venue (unless its a big name DJ who will pull a crowd) if it's someone who'll come, dj and disappear, never to be seen again, there's not much for the promotor to gain..

I'm lucky I guess that people do reguarly come up to us and tell us of DJ's they've heard locally who we should put on and I wish they'd do it more..

Jayne.x.

Hi Jayne,

Judging from your comments it seems I should apologise, as it appears I've created the impression, to you, that I am inexperienced behind the decks, and am moaning about 'niter promoters who's venues I'm only going to to get a 'prime time' spot (& purely for my own benefit) with my only other intention being to dissappear & never be seen again. Not giving a t**s about showing support to them... :D

Is it me? :D Am I missing something here... :lol: or should I just totally scrub my previous lengthy post and rewrite it? :thumbsup:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Hi Jayne,

Judging from your comments it seems I should apologise, as it appears I've created the impression, to you, that I am inexperienced behind the decks, and am moaning about 'niter promoters who's venues I'm only going to get a 'prime time' spot (& purely for my own benefit) with my only other intention being to dissappear & never be seen again. Not giving a t**s about showing support to them... :D

Is it me? :D Am I missing something here... :lol: or should I just totally scrub my previous lengthy post and rewrite it? :thumbsup:

HI,

It did come across a bit like that... not really about niter promoters who would give you a prime spot but yeh it did. Maybe it's me mis-understanding what you say..

I tried to edit your post and leave in the bits I was responding to but I buggered it up and I didn't want to leave it all on with it being quite lengthy..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Hi Jayne,

Judging from your comments it seems I should apologise, as it appears I've created the impression, to you, that I am inexperienced behind the decks, and am moaning about 'niter promoters who's venues I'm only going to get a 'prime time' spot (& purely for my own benefit) with my only other intention being to dissappear & never be seen again. Not giving a t**s about showing support to them... :D

yep, apologies, I mis-read your first paragraph!. The 'purely for your own benefit,etc I took from the bit you wrote below:

On my recent return (essentially, last October) I had pre-determined that I would prostitute myself as a DJ with an aim to do, mainly, 'niters across the land(s?). What a mammoth task I've set myself it turns out! How do you get spots at venues you obviously hav'nt attended for at least the three years off 'the circuit'...

I feel I have experience, ability with regard using the mike (yes, I f**k up occassionally with a queing error or some same thing - we are all human! BUT, I'm also capable of carrying off any mistakes as well! 'The show must go on'), a fair mixture of discs I feel are good for the benefit of others in a venue scenario, an avid collector and anorak (but what I know is, after all, only a p**s in the proverbial ocean - will be learning for an eternity!) Confidence but without (IMHO anyway...) any egotistical issues - just a passion for the music and, at best, maybe could only consider myself a 'disciple'.

Dillema: you hav'nt got any spots to demonstrate your ability and it seems there is a general reluctance to award a 'mainstream' spot to someone that A) you perhap's quite likely don't know from Adam and cool.gif shit! do I take the risk! - A Double Whammy!!

I decided that, other than asking directly to pomoters who advertise 'open decks' (obviously the first hour or two of a function, but at least it's a chance to get up there) I should compile CD's of stuff in my boxes to hand to promoters (& any one else that would be interested - surely it could only help the cause?) to give them, at least, a chance to hear what I could play... but it still don't solve the problem of proving deck capabilities!!!! Bit of a chicken & egg type situation I fear.

While I am getting to different venues I can't hit them all each and every weekend, instead select one's that have the 'appeal' to me and off I jolly well go - cd's in hand. Obviously the ones that tick the right boxes will, ultimately, see me as a 'regular'. But it all takes time don't it!

I suspect I've taken what you said the wrong way??..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Not sure if I can add anything here really but what I will say is there is a huge amount of very good DJ's out there and only so many venues to go around, I don't do as many gigs as I once did but still enjoy getting out there to play a few tunes, there is something very special and magical about playing records to a room full of people, get it right and the rewards are huge, my DJ ethic if there are any are as follows, solid collection and or DJ box, presentation, attitude, passion, entertainment value with this in time comes a 'name' and reputation, of course luck comes into breaking into DJ'ing on this scene but I also feel you have to serve your time and DJ apprentership which does not evolve overnight but work at it and the gigs do start to come your way.

Thus far this year I've been invited to DJ in Warrington, Leeds, Bournemouth, Wellingborough, Lowton, Glouster etc. and it's such a joy to be asked and still an honour to do events, good luck to all DJ's this year on the scene...give it to em' big time....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Phew, that lot was a long read :D im knackered, need some sleep. A lot of good points, and were did the f..kin oi oi come from? dont ask, lets leave the oi out of soul thank you. :thumbsup:

Pete Griff

Social source share

yep, apologies, I mis-read your first paragraph!. The 'purely for your own benefit,etc I took from the bit you wrote below:

I suspect I've taken what you said the wrong way??..

Jayne.x.

I can possibly see where a couple of things I wrote could be misconstrued:

By 'mainstream' I refer to the venue rather than a dj time slot.

Where I say, 'obviously the first hour or two..' in relation to open mike spots - it is just that. the relationship between open mike spots being the first spots of a venue... I felt I was stating the obvious but just reiterating it. The ultimate DJ aim, surely, must be to get the best times... for me, my first stage which is where I am at, again (as I've never felt it proper to use any of my 'associations' or 'contacts' from my many years on the scene - it should only be on merit, not favour), I'm quite prepared & confident of being able to prove my merit and would welcome accepting any first spot opportunity thrown at me! I wouldn't expect it to be any other way.

In my paragraph relating to venues I attend I felt that having already mentioned my return as being quite recent it would carry that, at present, I can't be classed as a regular at any venue! But, as stated, venues I have been to thus far will certainly be seeing my continued support but, as I did mention, it takes time don't it? (most have not since had another night for me to attend anyway given the timescale). When I say (Quote) 'select one's that have the appeal to me' (unquote) I mean just that... I don't want to be going to a pure motown or nostalgic northern do preferring instead to travel to listen to more 'recent' oldies, bit of modern, bit of r'n'b and class rarities - not every venue can or does offer that. And just look at the events calendar to see the multiple choice venues available each week, so isn't it important to try to reduce the risk of attending a venue I ain't gonna enjoy? I think so, and it is obviously working for me as there isn't one venue that I've since been to that I won't, eventually, become known as a regular... as has always been the case with my attendances, as several 'regulars' would attest to.

Hope that clarifies matters to save me having to apologise to everyone that reads my previous posting :D:lol:

Fingers :thumbsup:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Not sure if I can add anything here really but what I will say is there is a huge amount of very good DJ's out there and only so many venues to go around, I don't do as many gigs as I once did but still enjoy getting out there to play a few tunes, there is something very special and magical about playing records to a room full of people, get it right and the rewards are huge, my DJ ethic if there are any are as follows, solid collection and or DJ box, presentation, attitude, passion, entertainment value with this in time comes a 'name' and reputation, of course luck comes into breaking into DJ'ing on this scene but I also feel you have to serve your time and DJ apprentership which does not evolve overnight but work at it and the gigs do start to come your way.

Thus far this year I've been invited to DJ in Warrington, Leeds, Bournemouth, Wellingborough, Lowton, Glouster etc. and it's such a joy to be asked and still an honour to do events, good luck to all DJ's this year on the scene...give it to em' big time....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mr Big Daddy... I'ts a privelage! Thanx for your observations and comments and it sums things up ,I feel, very well indeed. Apprrenticeship is certainly a good comparison - just seems that I keep choosing to restart my apprenticeship on each of the two occassions of my return :D which is only right!

The reason you get repeats is certainly no less than you deserve and is indeed proof of you having 'served your time'. I, for one, have always been a 'fan' as you play the sort of stuff I wanna listen to... but with that bit extra... that Oomph! along with the likes of one of my other 'highly rated' jocks - Dave Rimmer. Top Marks Guy's!!

(by the way Mark... if you could just drop my name to... and... ooh!, and don't forget... :lol: )

Fingers

PS: Entertaining??? How much more entertaining could it be than watching a geezer with no digits trying to handle and cue up 45's!?! :D:) (maybe I should've called meself Thumbs!) :thumbsup:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Mr Big Daddy... I'ts a privelage! Thanx for your observations and comments and it sums things up ,I feel, very well indeed. Apprrenticeship is certainly a good comparison - just seems that I keep choosing to restart my apprenticeship on each of the two occassions of my return :D which is only right!

The reason you get repeats is certainly no less than you deserve and is indeed proof of you having 'served your time'. I, for one, have always been a 'fan' as you play the sort of stuff I wanna listen to... but with that bit extra... that Oomph! along with the likes of one of my other 'highly rated' jocks - Dave Rimmer. Top Marks Guy's!!

(by the way Mark... if you could just drop my name to... and... ooh!, and don't forget... :lol: )

Fingers

PS: Entertaining??? How much more entertaining could it be than watching a geezer with no digits trying to handle and cue up 45's!?! :D:) (maybe I should've called meself Thumbs!) :thumbsup:

Gee shucks mate ...lol thanks for that.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

this is my opinion.....

if you have no experience you cannot expect promoters to give you prime time slots,you have to settle for early doors or the grave yard shift.....

if you want experience get down your local and sort your own slots out !...aswell as flyers/posters you now have the internet to advertise ..its never been easier..

as far as cueing etc..if you cant do that FFS GET BACK IN THE BEDROOM TILL YOU CAN !

cds are ok....but what happens if the floor empties or another dj plays your playlist first or when you get that annoying punter in your ear all nighht whos never happy whatever you play and is basically just trying to piss you off...cos they are out there !

ive been djing 20 years almost and its a full time job trying to get slots ,people arnt ringing me up every two minutes i get off my arse and get out there and after the last three years of intense playing/asking and buying ! its only this last year that im getting some reward...not financially,thats hardly changed in 20 years but thats not why we do it....i get such a buzz from soul/reggae i love passing that on....playing music loud,dancing,singing and makeing other do it is great...which is why so many do it....

there will always be more djs then slots....just like footy....big teams like liverpool,newcastle expect to win trophies but for them to do that better teams like utd,arsenal etc have to go without !....think im going off thread now

Social source share

Johnny F... I think you need a gobshite like myself to tell you where you're going wrong.

Blimey the scenes changed so much since you were last active. The promotors have changed, the venues have changed, the punters have changed, lots of collectors have become DJs. People like Dave Rimmer (sorry to use you as an example Dave) have finally become sought after DJs with regular spots/residencies etc - having prostituted themselves all through the 90s (and having early spots etc).

You've risen lke a pheonix from the flames after a break and you have decided that you want to be as well known as you were 10 years or so ago. I too had a break (mostly from nighters) for 5 years or longer and I went from being the girl everyone knew - to being lucky if I knew a handful of people at a venue. Due to my effervescent charisma and general gob-shitedness this didn't last long... :D

My advice to you Fingers, is to sit tight with the Cd malarky for a bit. Get out as often as possible - but especially go frequently to the venues you aspire to Dj at. Once your face becomes familiar again, you've got more chance of a promotor listening to you. I know that even though I've known you for an eternity, if I were promoting and you suddenly appeared at my do asking for a spot I'd tell you to bugger off :D

You can slap my legs next time you see me JF - hope it will be sometime this year!

Oh and by the way - I don't DJ...

Social source share

Maybe it would be of some value to have in the lookbacks a section for HONEST reviews about the DJ's and what they played- promotors could then decide whether or not to attend said venue to check out potential DJ's in action.

Tony

how would that work than Tony?

we all have differing views...

Social source share

Maybe it would be of some value to have in the lookbacks a section for HONEST reviews about the DJ's and what they played- promotors could then decide whether or not to attend said venue to check out potential DJ's in action.

Tony

I can't see anyone giving 100% honest views....you're not gonna come on here and post up an honest review if you're mate DJ'd somewhere and he was shite. Promotors would very rarely do that too, as folks aren't going to come and support your venue if you've publically slated their dj'ing skills if they've just done you a spot and neither would their mates.. it's a quick way to make yourself unpopular.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Okay, here goes...

Just Looking over your 'Giz a Spot' CD compilations, Do you own originals of

all these tunes? :D

If thats the case you should be working most weekends!

M. :D

Yes Mark, Fingers collection is all real....

Social source share

I can possibly see where a couple of things I wrote could be misconstrued:

By 'mainstream' I refer to the venue rather than a dj time slot.

Where I say, 'obviously the first hour or two..' in relation to open mike spots - it is just that. the relationship between open mike spots being the first spots of a venue... I felt I was stating the obvious but just reiterating it. The ultimate DJ aim, surely, must be to get the best times... for me, my first stage which is where I am at, again (as I've never felt it proper to use any of my 'associations' or 'contacts' from my many years on the scene - it should only be on merit, not favour), I'm quite prepared & confident of being able to prove my merit and would welcome accepting any first spot opportunity thrown at me! I wouldn't expect it to be any other way.

Hope that clarifies matters to save me having to apologise to everyone that reads my previous posting :D:D

Fingers :shhh:

Hi,

Yep it does! :P

I was told I was talking bollox (I know, unimaginable!! :D ) when I described the first hour or so like that. Another promotor told me I was so wrong as the first couple of hours were the most important as it sets the tone for the night and people are paying more attention to what's played as they they are A. Sober and B. more likely to be sat listening that up dancing,wandering,chatting,etc...

Might have a point I suppose...

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Johnny F... I think you need a gobshite like myself to tell you where you're going wrong.

Blimey the scenes changed so much since you were last active. The promotors have changed, the venues have changed, the punters have changed, lots of collectors have become DJs. People like Dave Rimmer (sorry to use you as an example Dave) have finally become sought after DJs with regular spots/residencies etc - having prostituted themselves all through the 90s (and having early spots etc).

You've risen lke a pheonix from the flames after a break and you have decided that you want to be as well known as you were 10 years or so ago. I too had a break (mostly from nighters) for 5 years or longer and I went from being the girl everyone knew - to being lucky if I knew a handful of people at a venue. Due to my effervescent charisma and general gob-shitedness this didn't last long... :D

My advice to you Fingers, is to sit tight with the Cd malarky for a bit. Get out as often as possible - but especially go frequently to the venues you aspire to Dj at. Once your face becomes familiar again, you've got more chance of a promotor listening to you. I know that even though I've known you for an eternity, if I were promoting and you suddenly appeared at my do asking for a spot I'd tell you to bugger off :D

You can slap my legs next time you see me JF - hope it will be sometime this year!

Hi Kirsty,

Maybe promotors should start just giving everyone half hour spots instead of the standard hour and doubling the number of DJ's they can get on... I wonder if as many people would be interested in spinning their tunes if they knew they were just getting half an hour of the whole night?...

Right, I must not waste my day's holiday sat at this pc!.. off to improve my 'housework skills'. :shhh:

Jayne.x.

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Guest Trevski

I like to spin a few tunes, and fortunatly over the Christmas/new year period I got quite a few do's to play at. Next up is the Clekky spectacular! The thing is, I really don't care for this 'prostituting' of ones self when trying to obtain spots. I never ask for a spot, people that know me, or have heard me play, know my style, my type of sounds, my ability etc and they ask me. If they don't ask, then I don't play simple as that. I like to do it, but it's not the be all and end all. I get out most weekends as a punter, talk to folk about tunes etc, buy vinyl and if I am lucky to be asked by someone who runs a do, fine. If I ran a do and someone kept pestering me for a spot I would be sorely tempted to say "f**k off!" politely, of course! :D Of course there is the old 'If you don't ask, you don't get' adage, but it's not one to which I subscribe. Not that desperate I suppose, but hey, it's hardly gonna make you rich is it? So what is it that brings people to really want to DJ? love of the music, a genuine passion for playing tunes you love/have faith in for others enjoyment? or ego?

Me? I just wanna hear tunes I really like at a venue, and sometimes the only way I will hear 'em out is if I play 'em myself! :D

Social source share

I like to spin a few tunes, and fortunatly over the Christmas/new year period I got quite a few do's to play at. Next up is the Clekky spectacular! The thing is, I really don't care for this 'prostituting' of ones self when trying to obtain spots. I never ask for a spot, people that know me, or have heard me play, know my style, my type of sounds, my ability etc and they ask me. If they don't ask, then I don't play simple as that. I like to do it, but it's not the be all and end all. I get out most weekends as a punter, talk to folk about tunes etc, buy vinyl and if I am lucky to be asked by someone who runs a do, fine. If I ran a do and someone kept pestering me for a spot I would be sorely tempted to say "f**k off!" politely, of course! :lol: Of course there is the old 'If you don't ask, you don't get' adage, but it's not one to which I subscribe. Not that desperate I suppose, but hey, it's hardly gonna make you rich is it? So what is it that brings people to really want to DJ? love of the music, a genuine passion for playing tunes you love/have faith in for others enjoyment? or ego?

Me? I just wanna hear tunes I really like at a venue, and sometimes the only way I will hear 'em out is if I play 'em myself! :lol:

Maybe the money is a factor - you get into a venue free, you get your mate in free and by getting paid for it, often you've had your travel costs and your drinks for the night paid for too..

Maybe they're all ego maniacs who just love the limelight or want to control what people do and dont listen to... :g: (JOKE!)

Jayne.x.

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

3. I live in Lowton, And around a 100 mile radius is not a problem. Can travel further but would require notice to organise, with family commitments.

4. My actual DJ ing experience is about zero. I did an hour at Prestwich 8 til 9.(wow). However have decks and use them almost every day, so know my way around a mixer confidently.

5. Contact me through PM for info on booking, if required.( Can't do 1st friday of the month. Resident and Co-promoter with Ste Longworth at Soulful Shack in "Culcheth" Royal British Legion Wigshaw lane Warrington WA3 4LY.)

1st Feb is our first do....8 til 1. Try and make it, especially if you like the look of the 'taster' set above.

Mike

================================================================================

==

Hey Mike see u use decks everyday is that Decks has in DEXIDRINE :g::lol::ohmy:

Get down to my house in Lowton with that mixer i need a bit of flaggin doin :lol:

Just jokin mate hope ur nite @ the Legion goes well :lol:

Social source share

You can't pick a dj by a play list..

Your venue maybe a bit on the modern side of things and the dj's last 2 sets were on the oldies side.. but he may have excellant modern records but you are judging him on hes last sets.. where if you see him dj at a venue that you have chosen to go to, as its your type of music being played. you will appreciate what he is playing..

Also by using thier playlist... maybe the dj has turned up with hes biggest box of unknown cover ups rarest of the rare - the dj before never had anyone dancing no atmaspphere so he plays one rare record the floor still dead so he puts on some classic motown stuff, to get the floor going and build up the room.. you will see hes playlist and think blimey same old same old..

but know the dj's worked hard done a good turn in the room gone home with the hump cause he wanted to spin hes new big sounds and can't..

no to pick a dj you have to hear them...

and more to the point he or she maybe ugly.. no one wants to look at an ugly face when they aren't dancing... because some one booked the wrong dj for the venue by using an old playlist laugh.gif

Social source share

No problem at all there Kirsty. It's true. When I started DJing I took spots anywhere in the country, did warm up spots at allnighters (I did the very first spot at the very first Winsford niter for example), and never turned a booking down unless I was already booked. I was significantly helped by the fact that I was one of the regular guests at Albrighton Lea Manor, which in it's prime was probably the best Soul night in the country. But because people travelled to attend Albrighton, people from other parts of the country heard me DJ, and when they booked me, people from their area, and people who had travelled to their venue also heard me, and I got more bookings from that.

Thing is, I still never turn a booking down unless I'm already booked and will still do spots anywhere in the country, simply because I enjoy DJing so much.

Of course there is one other thing involved, and although it sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet here, I can't say it any other way. You actually have to be a good DJ, and remember, you have been hired to do a job, like anything else, if you do it well, you will be hired again.

Social source share

Anyone's interested into an old Oi music spot...? Cockney Rejects, 4 Skins, Business, Cock Sparrer, Angelic Upstarts, etc. etc...?

Original vinyl only.

K

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Interesting to know for my self and for others.

Who are the djs out there, Were they live and what styles they play. It would be good to have a list of djs that are for hire for promoters ect.

Turn up at Wolverhampton all-nighter and find out :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulgirlie

I was significantly helped by the fact that I was one of the regular guests at Albrighton Lea Manor, which in it's prime was probably the best Soul night in the country.

An observation that you graciously to acknowledge at every opportunity Dave ..happy days there and a venue still sadly missed :thumbsup:

Lin

Social source share

Guest Brett F

About the only dj i know on here is Dave Rimmer, the guy travels far and wide to play his (QUALITY ORIGINAL ) records, the rest i know are just like me record collectors who occasionally have the chance to play their (ORIGINAL) records out, and invariably get paid little to nothing for their trouble.

BRETT FRANKLIN. COLLECTOR OF ORIGINAL RARE SOUL VINYL RECORDS.................(NEVER BOOTLEGS......ETC.............I MAY BE A ROGUE AND AN UNPLEASEANT BEING BUT I DO HAVE STANDARDS.............)

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

and am moaning about 'niter promoters who's venues I'm only going to to get a 'prime time' spot (& purely for my own benefit)

As a ex promoter of Winsford nighters. I was in a position to give relatively unknown DJ,s a go in a big venue in front of 100,s of punter,s. Which i did most times the nighter was on. But not before i had seen them DJ at a local venue where they was comfortable with there surroundings and i was confident that they could make the step up to a big nighter venue and everything that goes with it. Because it takes a special type of person to take that giant leap. Some people dont like it once they,ve tried but others love it. It can be a scary, lonesome place if you make a mistake and cant sort it quick enough.

Good luck to anyone that wants to try it

Steve

Social source share

Yet another debate that will not have a conclusion. Let's face facts, in the main, there is no general consensus and agreement on who is a good D.J. and who is a crap one, one Man's meat etc etc, just take a look at the various "who's the best D.J." threads and see the multitude of nominations. Couple this with the large percentage of Soul afficianados that want to have a go behind the decks, and you've got a bit of an uphill climb if you want to get spots. From my own very personal view as a punter, and this is a GENERAL point (not aimed at anyone) to ALL prospective new D.J.'s - Bring something "new to the table" for F***'s sake - we've already got all the big gobs and sets of expensive, overplayed "oldies" we need thanks very much

All the best & good luck

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Yet another debate that will not have a conclusion. Let's face facts, in the main, there is no general consensus and agreement on who is a good D.J. and who is a crap one, one Man's meat etc etc, just take a look at the various "who's the best D.J." threads and see the multitude of nominations. Couple this with the large percentage of Soul afficianados that want to have a go behind the decks, and you've got a bit of an uphill climb if you want to get spots. From my own very personal view as a punter, and this is a GENERAL point (not aimed at anyone) to ALL prospective new D.J.'s - Bring something "new to the table" for F***'s sake - we've already got all the big gobs and sets of expensive, overplayed "oldies" we need thanks very much

All the best & good luck

Des Parker

DES FACE THE FACTS YOUR A CRAP dJ.......... :thumbsup::lol::lol: .JUST KIDDING MATE..............HELL ARE THERE ANY MORE FRANKIE NIEVES ABOUT.........

Brett

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Yes round and round this one and its been said there are more djs than spots available.To answer you freddy im sorry i dont have the answers thats just how i book them but we have had 70 guests at middleton this year and a fare few have been up and comeing jocks so we are doing our best.Another point is ive never seen the point in trying djs just for the sake of it the reason i like to hear em myself is to see if they can improve on what we,ve got or what is the point.luckily we have the willingham suite which has some fantastic jocks who you may not normaly get to here at other niters and a few of the main room guests have appeared that way,but as i say not really any easy answers to it.

Social source share

Name : Mossy

Plays : 6ts Soul and Ska

Gets: That pissed and wasted that no one could even consider booking!

"Sometimes even misses his spots at his own Soul nights due to massive substance abuse!" (True)

I only play the Deeside area and Scooter rallys with campsites as thats the only way I am (usually) capable of getting back home with all my records !

The rest of the time I work overtime to pay for my family to live and my vinyl problem!

So dont even bother asking!

intrests: world peace

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I like to spin a few tunes, and fortunatly over the Christmas/new year period I got quite a few do's to play at. Next up is the Clekky spectacular! The thing is, I really don't care for this 'prostituting' of ones self when trying to obtain spots. I never ask for a spot, people that know me, or have heard me play, know my style, my type of sounds, my ability etc and they ask me. If they don't ask, then I don't play simple as that. I like to do it, but it's not the be all and end all. I get out most weekends as a punter, talk to folk about tunes etc, buy vinyl and if I am lucky to be asked by someone who runs a do, fine. If I ran a do and someone kept pestering me for a spot I would be sorely tempted to say "f**k off!" politely, of course! :lol: Of course there is the old 'If you don't ask, you don't get' adage, but it's not one to which I subscribe. Not that desperate I suppose, but hey, it's hardly gonna make you rich is it? So what is it that brings people to really want to DJ? love of the music, a genuine passion for playing tunes you love/have faith in for others enjoyment? or ego?

Me? I just wanna hear tunes I really like at a venue, and sometimes the only way I will hear 'em out is if I play 'em myself! :lol:

Exactly Trevski................... :thumbsup:

Social source share

HA HA

BEST YOU STICK TO THE RADIO MATE

MIGHT BOOK YOU FOR MONA LATER ON IN THE YEAR SUPPLY YOUR OWN TENT

I do prefer playing records at Scooter events............I get to play "The Killermeters - SX 225 - and do a bit of wreckin.............makes a change from Talc..... and Clapping :lol:

As for the Internet radio.........That would never happen if it wasn't for Griff banging on my door shouting through my letter box and getting me out of bed, :thumbsup:

I do find our internet thing pretty worthwile / rewarding, as loads of our local Scooterists / Scooterclubs (no names mentioned) really do listen in - enjoy and appreciate what we do.....and that is why we started doing it anyway!

If I am honest.... Im not too worried about what goes on here and there and everywhere, I just want to put on regular great little nights in our town, for our locals / pals /family / best freinds etc.

We have got great people around here, great tunes and we have a great night!

And if thats not keeping the faith (suck my toe)

PEACE! OUT!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

You can't pick a dj by a play list..

Your venue maybe a bit on the modern side of things and the dj's last 2 sets were on the oldies side.. but he may have excellant modern records but you are judging him on hes last sets.. where if you see him dj at a venue that you have chosen to go to, as its your type of music being played. you will appreciate what he is playing..

Also by using thier playlist... maybe the dj has turned up with hes biggest box of unknown cover ups rarest of the rare - the dj before never had anyone dancing no atmaspphere so he plays one rare record the floor still dead so he puts on some classic motown stuff, to get the floor going and build up the room.. you will see hes playlist and think blimey same old same old..

but know the dj's worked hard done a good turn in the room gone home with the hump cause he wanted to spin hes new big sounds and can't..

no to pick a dj you have to hear them...

and more to the point he or she maybe ugly.. no one wants to look at an ugly face when they aren't dancing... because some one booked the wrong dj for the venue by using an old playlist :shades:

I thought I kind of implied that you would go to see them at work-obviously not.

However

What about auditions a la Phoenix Nights.

Commitee--- Is that it then????

Auditionee--- Oh yes, there is no more.

Commitee-- Right!--F*ck Off then!------------NEXT!!!!

Tony

Social source share

this is my opinion.....

if you have no experience you cannot expect promoters to give you prime time slots,you have to settle for early doors or the grave yard shift.....

if you want experience get down your local and sort your own slots out !...aswell as flyers/posters you now have the internet to advertise ..its never been easier..

as far as cueing etc..if you cant do that FFS GET BACK IN THE BEDROOM TILL YOU CAN !

cds are ok....but what happens if the floor empties or another dj plays your playlist first or when you get that annoying punter in your ear all nighht whos never happy whatever you play and is basically just trying to piss you off...cos they are out there !

ive been djing 20 years almost and its a full time job trying to get slots ,people arnt ringing me up every two minutes i get off my arse and get out there and after the last three years of intense playing/asking and buying ! its only this last year that im getting some reward...not financially,thats hardly changed in 20 years but thats not why we do it....i get such a buzz from soul/reggae i love passing that on....playing music loud,dancing,singing and makeing other do it is great...which is why so many do it....

there will always be more djs then slots....just like footy....big teams like liverpool,newcastle expect to win trophies but for them to do that better teams like utd,arsenal etc have to go without !....think im going off thread now

Can't figure out if your posting is a general opinion, but I feel it bears several direct references to my main posting in this thread so can only assume your opinion is directed at me (but please accept my apologies in advance if I've got that wrong) and feel it necessary to comment thus:

It seems quite apparent (and understandable when a topic contains so many responses) that some people either don't read some postings properly - or simply fail to ingest what is being read.

From a personal perspective, neither am I inexperienced nor do I 'expect' any promoter to initially afford me a prime time slot at their venue. No need for me to repeat what has already been written here earlier in the thread about where I am coming from. And I think I would stand more chance of putting a winning bet on my lost digits growing back than I would finding a DJ that, at sometime, hasn't mis-cued a record regardless of if they are a 'household name' or not... each and everyone! Some still, and will continue to do so.

As for 'get down your local and sort your own slots out' - what do you class as local? For me to hear music I want to when I go out I have no other choice than to travel out of town! As my 'local' do's are only of a nostalgic or motown nature. So that don't exactly make local do's the best place for me, does it!?! (Flyers/posters... never been easier.... What has never been easier???)

CD's are a good wayof demonstrating the sort of collection a person has - it doesn't mean the cd is the spot they would play out (or am I just a complete nob and everyone else's cd offerings are exactly that!) but, at the same time, you can't exactly put every single record you own on to a cd to hand out, can you?

If a Dj has any sort of nounce whatsoever, if the floor empties, or a previous DJ has spun some of the discs you were toying with spinning, annoying punters.... whatever - you spin alternatives! Take a look at at some of the earlier postings from successful jocks and comments such as 'ear', and 'feel' are mentioned, coupled with the fact that (unless you are deejaying at a venue which is also seeing your inaugural attendance) you, surely, will have a fair idea as to what proves to be acceptable there anyway.

Only time I could see that being a problem for experienced and not so experienced jock's alike is if they only own 20 records.

Fingers

Social source share

You've risen lke a pheonix from the flames after a break and you have decided that you want to be as well known as you were 10 years or so ago. I too had a break (mostly from nighters) for 5 years or longer and I went from being the girl everyone knew - to being lucky if I knew a handful of people at a venue. Due to my effervescent charisma and general gob-shitedness this didn't last long... :shades:

My advice to you Fingers, is to sit tight with the Cd malarky for a bit. Get out as often as possible - but especially go frequently to the venues you aspire to Dj at. Once your face becomes familiar again, you've got more chance of a promotor listening to you. I know that even though I've known you for an eternity, if I were promoting and you suddenly appeared at my do asking for a spot I'd tell you to bugger off :(

Hey Kirsty...

I know you would tell me to bugger off - that's 'cos you know wot a sh**e DJ I actually am :lol:

Not quite the case that I want to be 'well known' my lovely... it ain't a narcissistic thing - It Be Da Music Man! Admitedly, in my more youthful DJ days it was a case of 'more money than sense', cos back then I would buy whatever was big and not necessarily what I liked! From my original collection I sold back in '83 even I could count on one hand how many of those discs I would be proud to own now! Most of the rest were purely for: 'Look at me... I'm mister DJ that packs the floor with every toon I play, look at me! look at me!'.

Hey, we all gotta mature sometime! (Boo Hoo!) And a lot of water has run under that bridge since then. Goes back to that 'apprenticeship' thing mentioned previously. We should all, forever, be learning!!

I am gettin' out as often as possible Kirst - crikey!! in the time I've been back it seems everyone thinks I should've attended at least 10,000,000 gigs by now... I'm sorry - I'm only up to 6,666,666 (note the clever use of the number six there? A clue to where my 'soul' lies :yes: ), but promise to get the number up to par by end of this month, okay? :lol:

Can't say I've experienced a problem, on my return, with not knowing anyone when I get out. Even when it's a venue I'd never attended in the past I have great fun catching up with people that havn't seen me for a while. Don't expect all people to know me, never been that way in the past, but once I've met an aquaintence that's it for eternity... I'll forever blight their lives :lol:

One thing you certainly are spot on with, though, Kirsty is the comment about the promoters and venues. Up to now it will only be the 100 club (tomorrow) and Wilton in March that have promoters known to me.

And now I've got ever more reason to look forward to Wilton in the knowledge I'll be seeing you :ohmy: (and it won't be your leg's I'll be smacking young lady :P )

C U soon!!!

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Yes Mark, Fingers collection is all real....

Kirsty is indeed correct there Mark. I would never dream of putting something on a hand-out cd that I didn't actually have in my collection. Which is why I'm more than happy to include label details etc on my track listings.

Appreciate greatly your kind comments.

PS. you don't run your own 'niter/soul 'nite do you? Wanna a couple of cd's? :shades:

Social source share

I like to spin a few tunes, and fortunatly over the Christmas/new year period I got quite a few do's to play at. Next up is the Clekky spectacular! The thing is, I really don't care for this 'prostituting' of ones self when trying to obtain spots. I never ask for a spot, people that know me, or have heard me play, know my style, my type of sounds, my ability etc and they ask me. If they don't ask, then I don't play simple as that. I like to do it, but it's not the be all and end all. I get out most weekends as a punter, talk to folk about tunes etc, buy vinyl and if I am lucky to be asked by someone who runs a do, fine. If I ran a do and someone kept pestering me for a spot I would be sorely tempted to say "f**k off!" politely, of course! :ohmy: Of course there is the old 'If you don't ask, you don't get' adage, but it's not one to which I subscribe. Not that desperate I suppose, but hey, it's hardly gonna make you rich is it? So what is it that brings people to really want to DJ? love of the music, a genuine passion for playing tunes you love/have faith in for others enjoyment? or ego?

Me? I just wanna hear tunes I really like at a venue, and sometimes the only way I will hear 'em out is if I play 'em myself! :yes:

Fully respect your opinions Trevski and yes, I believe 'desperate' is a good description - but it's not desperation for 'me! me! me!'. It is all about the music, the people involved in bringing the songs we love about - be it artists, producers, musicians... their stories, their lives, their talents. And for 'spreading the word'. I believe that, as a dj, that is exactly what I would be doing. Not trying to bolster the coffers (I've previously spent my rent money and the wife 'borrowed' her collected Avon payments so we could go to a 'niter at Hyde and be able to purchase one record each that we wanted - cheers Butch!! And we would still do that today if we had to) and everyone already agrees it's not a way to make a living! And No, it ain't the 'be all and end all' - but as I keep saying... I ain't doing it for me! me! me!

I certainly won't be 'pestering' people. Yes, I'll be 'cheeky' as I am a very big believer indeed of the adage 'If you don't ask you don't get'!! I don't, for one minute, believe people are gonna start falling over themselves to give me a spot just cos I wanna spread 'the gospel' in that fashion. So what's the alternative?

In closure - funny how you mention ego and playin' tunes that you want to hear when you are deejaying at a venue. Is it that same venue that people have probably paid to go to for their evenings entertainment - not the DJ's!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Kirsty is indeed correct there Mark. I would never dream of putting something on a hand-out cd that I didn't actually have in my collection. Which is why I'm more than happy to include label details etc on my track listings.

Appreciate greatly your kind comments.

PS. you don't run your own 'niter/soul 'nite do you? Wanna a couple of cd's? :ohmy:

Yes Mate, We run the Friendship Pure Soul Sessions in Barnsley, still finalising dates for this year, maybe 3/4 nites so who knows - you may get a call :yes: - CD's are allways welcome! (for the car that is - not the venue - lol)

Best

M. :shades:

Edited by MarkWhiteley
Social source share

Guest posstot

Me? I just wanna hear tunes I really like at a venue, and sometimes the only way I will hear 'em out is if I play 'em myself! :D

trevski, your last sentence sums it up for me!!

Social source share

Guest posstot

Can't figure out if your posting is a general opinion, but I feel it bears several direct references to my main posting in this thread so can only assume your opinion is directed at me (but please accept my apologies in advance if I've got that wrong) and feel it necessary to comment thus:

It seems quite apparent (and understandable when a topic contains so many responses) that some people either don't read some postings properly - or simply fail to ingest what is being read.

From a personal perspective, neither am I inexperienced nor do I 'expect' any promoter to initially afford me a prime time slot at their venue. No need for me to repeat what has already been written here earlier in the thread about where I am coming from. And I think I would stand more chance of putting a winning bet on my lost digits growing back than I would finding a DJ that, at sometime, hasn't mis-cued a record regardless of if they are a 'household name' or not... each and everyone! Some still, and will continue to do so.

As for 'get down your local and sort your own slots out' - what do you class as local? For me to hear music I want to when I go out I have no other choice than to travel out of town! As my 'local' do's are only of a nostalgic or motown nature. So that don't exactly make local do's the best place for me, does it!?! (Flyers/posters... never been easier.... What has never been easier???)

CD's are a good wayof demonstrating the sort of collection a person has - it doesn't mean the cd is the spot they would play out (or am I just a complete nob and everyone else's cd offerings are exactly that!) but, at the same time, you can't exactly put every single record you own on to a cd to hand out, can you?

If a Dj has any sort of nounce whatsoever, if the floor empties, or a previous DJ has spun some of the discs you were toying with spinning, annoying punters.... whatever - you spin alternatives! Take a look at at some of the earlier postings from successful jocks and comments such as 'ear', and 'feel' are mentioned, coupled with the fact that (unless you are deejaying at a venue which is also seeing your inaugural attendance) you, surely, will have a fair idea as to what proves to be acceptable there anyway.

Only time I could see that being a problem for experienced and not so experienced jock's alike is if they only own 20 records.

Fingers

pfft :lol: ! johnny, i like your style...you have read "all" the posts too!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert