European Origin Records That Have Gained Acceptance On The Ns Scene

Guest Malc Burton

Bear with me on this one - there is a point .........

Lady B and I spent last week in Praia Da Luz , Portugal , and as part of the holiday package , were transferred by coach from and to Faro Airport .........

On the return journey - nearly three sodding hours with intermittant aircon , and an outside temperature of 32 degrees - the coach driver subjected us for the entire journey , to the delights of Radio Algarve , whose auditory menu / onslaught consisted entirely of R 'N ' B and Hip Hop . The lowest point , and bottom of the barrel was reached when a rap mix of Duffy's " Murphy " came on .......

My apologies if that / this style of music finds favour with you : I did not mean offence , but it is not my music : I stepped off the coach a shattered chap , longing for anything that resembled real music ........

It was a result of this soundtrack , that made me think of tunes that were of European origin , that have gained acceptance on the Northern Soul scene .......

Obviously , two came to mind straight away - Bebu Silvetti's " Spring Rain " ( " Lluvia De Primavera " ) , and The Boogie Man Orchestra " Lady Lady Lady " ........

Over to you .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 57
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Wasn`t SPOOKY N SUE -I GOT THE NEED of european origin malc? :)

Morning H ......

The grey matter is still a bit addled , so I had forgotten Spooky and Sue : Euro origin indeed mate ; it was recorded in Holland ........

Trivia time ......

Iwan Groenendijk was Spooky , and Sue was Sue Chaloner . The record was originally released in 1975 on the Dutch label Negram , which was shortly picked up by Philips for distribution .......

Iwan Groenendijk was also a member of The Machine / Swinging Soul Machine , who released the 45 " Spooky's Day Off " , which was a 60s club favourite .....

Malc Burton

post-5097-1218353609.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Morning H ......

The grey matter is still a bit addled , so I had forgotten Spooky and Sue : Euro origin indeed mate ; it was recorded in Holland ........

Trivia time ......

Iwan Groenendijk was Spooky , and Sue was Sue Chaloner . The record was originally released in 1975 on the Dutch label Negram , which was shortly picked up by Philips for distribution .......

Iwan Groenendijk was also a member of The Machine / Swinging Soul Machine , who released the 45 " Spooky's Day Off " , which was a 60s club favourite .....

Malc Burton

didnt know that malc bout Swinging Soul Machine....one of the first 45's I bought! cheers!

steve

Social source share

Andre Brasseur "The Kid" (belgium??)

Mood Mosaic "Touch Of Velvet" (were they French??)

steve

I knew setting the posting of this post would prove that I have senior moments in respect of recalling records that I should have remembered ....

This is where the we can debate the origin of " ATOV , ASOB " , as being British or German .........

"A Touch Of Velvet,A Sting Of Brass" ( Columbia 1966 )

Mood Mosiac were the brainchild of German born British based producer/arranger Mark Wirtz , who in addition later handled production chores for Brit psych lads Tomorrow and their lead singer Keith West's ( " Excerpt From A Teenage Opera " ) brief successful solo career . " A Touch... " is now known / acknowlwdged as the archetype British Carnaby Street camp number , that evokes imagery of dolly birds in op art gear , drinking at The Cromwellian and the whole plastic fa§ade of Swinging London . It is accented by the vocal backups of The Ladybirds , a trio best known to Americans , as the three blonde ladies who were always singing on "The Benny Hill Show" ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Morning H ......

Trivia time ......

Malc Burton

Morning malc, i know it was released on a lp but wasn`t SAMMY DAVIS-YOU CAN COUNT ON ME, a dutch origin 45 as well, also heard somewhere that FRANKIE & JOHNNY were GERMAN don`t know about that one though :)

Social source share

Morning malc, i know it was released on a lp but wasn`t SAMMY DAVIS-YOU CAN COUNT ON ME, a dutch origin 45 as well, also heard somewhere that FRANKIE & JOHNNY were GERMAN don`t know about that one though :)

Sammy Davis Jr's vocals to that Geordie WC instrumental favourite " Way - I Five O " , were first released on 20th Century in the U.S. , in 1976 : It is very likely that the disc had a dutch release , as said crooner and pal of Frank , was big business in Holland .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Byrney

and Sue was Sue Chaloner . The record was originally released in 1975 on the Dutch label Negram , which was shortly picked up by Philips for distribution .......

Malc Burton

Sue went on to record a number of early euro soulfull house records including I Wanna Thank You which got a few plays downstairs at Bradford Queens hall modern room early 90s

Social source share

Blue Sharks

Why has this Italian originated recording proven so rare ? I debated the said 45 with knowledgable Italian friends while there last month , and they are in the dark as much as we are .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Sammy Davis Jr's vocals to that Geordie WC instrumental favourite " Way - I Five O " , were first released on 20th Century in the U.S. , in 1976 : It is very likely that the disc had a dutch release , as said crooner and pal of Frank , was big business in Holland .........

Malc Burton

was there an AMERICAN release 45 malc, i thought it was only on dutch? :)

Social source share

F & J,are from Scotland i think ?

Social source share

was there an AMERICAN release 45 malc, i thought it was only on dutch? :)

Artist: Sammy Davis, Jr.

Format: 45 Label: 20th Century Cat. Num.: 6162-101 Rel. Year: 1976

02:51 1/1/1976 Snap Your Fingers

02:08 1/1/1976 You Can Count On Me (Theme From "Hawaii 5-O")

Sammy Davis, Jr. ( vocals ) , Al Capps ( arranger ) , The Mike Curb Congregation (backing vocals )

Malc Burton

Social source share

loads of good stuff getting played in recent years,

frank popp stuff, which is over rated to say the least,some good stuff out of scandanavia though, tuomo - don't take it to hard, nicole willis and the soul investigators etc. spring to mind.

monster from the 70s, instrumental cover of the temps law of the land, alfie khan orchestra, i think were german.

Social source share

...that made me think of tunes that were of European origin , that have gained acceptance on the Northern Soul scene ...

Obviously , two came to mind straight away - Bebu Silvetti's " Spring Rain " ( " Lluvia De Primavera " ) , and The Boogie Man Orchestra " Lady Lady Lady " ...

Hello Malc,

The Boogie Man Orchestra was recorded in Chicago ...which is in the USA, if I'm not mistaken.

I'll go for "What About Love" by Marboo, which was recorded in Germany ...which is somewhere in Europe I think.

:)

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Hello Malc,

The Boogie Man Orchestra was recorded in Chicago ...which is in the USA, if I'm not mistaken.

I'll go for "What About Love" by Marboo, which was recorded in Germany ...which is somewhere in Europe I think.

:D

Best regards,

Paul

I bow to your knowledge . Paul : I could have sworn the record had its' origins in Germany .........

Nice to see sarcasm is still alive and well :lol: ........

If we are to split hairs , there is a Philadelphia in one area of Sheffield :) .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Sammy Davis, Jr. ( vocals ) , Al Capps ( arranger ) , The Mike Curb Congregation (backing vocals )

Malc Burton

Cheers malc, i was un aware of that, allways thought it was a dutch release only thanks for info :)
Social source share

I bow to your knowledge . Paul : I could have sworn the record had its' origins in Germany .........

Nice to see sarcasm is still alive and well :lol: ........

If we are to split hairs , there is a Philadelphia in one area of Sheffield :) .......

Malc Burton

Hello Malc,

Okay so I cheated, I used an atlas.

Do you know there's a Philadelphia up here in Tyne & Wear? There's also a New York and a Washington too. And there's a little place called Toronto in County Durham.

It's all a bit confusing for the tourists.

:D

Paul

Social source share

Malc Burton

I'm also surprised about this Malc, I didn't think there was a US release either.

Social source share

I'm also surprised about this Malc, I didn't think there was a US release either.

What is weird about the release of the record , is that the A side - " Snap Your Fingers " , was given another release - with a different , and older recorded B side - shortly after ........

Format : 45 Label : 20th Century Catalogue Number : 2236 Released Year : 1976

02:44 25/10/1974 Song And Dance Man

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Bear with me on this one - there is a point .........

Lady B and I spent last week in Praia Da Luz , Portugal , and as part of the holiday package , were transferred by coach from and to Faro Airport .........

On the return journey - nearly three sodding hours with intermittant aircon , and an outside temperature of 32 degrees - the coach driver subjected us for the entire journey , to the delights of Radio Algarve , whose auditory menu / onslaught consisted entirely of R 'N ' B and Hip Hop . The lowest point , and bottom of the barrel was reached when a rap mix of Duffy's " Murphy " came on .......

My apologies if that / this style of music finds favour with you : I did not mean offence , but it is not my music : I stepped off the coach a shattered chap , longing for anything that resembled real music ........

It was a result of this soundtrack , that made me think of tunes that were of European origin , that have gained acceptance on the Northern Soul scene .......

Obviously , two came to mind straight away - Bebu Silvetti's " Spring Rain " ( " Lluvia De Primavera " ) , and The Boogie Man Orchestra " Lady Lady Lady " ........

Over to you .......

Malc Burton

Blimey Malc-That seems like on ordeal on that coach----couldn't you claim of the holiday insurance for a stress related condition forced upon you lol :)

seriously though I do know where you coming from on this. Was in gambia earlier this year and on our coach transfer we were subject to something tht was akin to sacrilege to the word music. Cover versions of 80's wham classics---------------yes I know you couldn't make it up!!!! :lol:

Anyway back on topic---How about the much maligned Los canarios----Get on your knees. :D Blue eyed European soul but a classic in anyone's book hey?

Social source share

Morning malc, i know it was released on a lp but wasn`t SAMMY DAVIS-YOU CAN COUNT ON ME, a dutch origin 45 as well, also heard somewhere that FRANKIE & JOHNNY were GERMAN don`t know about that one though :rolleyes:

Don't know which is Frankie or Johnny, but isn't one of them Maggie Bell of Stone The Crows and singer of the Taggart theme song?

Social source share

Are you sure that this is a US release? Do you have a label scan?

The dutch release has also got catalogue number 6162-101.

The numbering doesn't really tie in with anything else on US 20th Century from that time.

Social source share

Are you sure that this is a US release? Do you have a label scan?

The dutch release has also got catalogue number 6162-101.

The numbering doesn't really tie in with anything else on US 20th Century from that time.

I have been checking various internet sites regarding the releases for 20th Century , and it would seem - for some strange reason - that both the US and the Dutch 45s of " YCCOM " , shared the same release number , 6162 - 101 .......

Just to reiterate , releases - only one as a 45 - for the disc are as follows .......

Sammy Davis Jr " You Can Count On Me ( Theme From "Hawaii 5-O ) "

20th Century 45: 6162-101 (1976)

20th Century LP: 6370-245 - The Song And Dance Man (1976)

20th Century LP: 9279-577 - Sings The Great TV Tunes (1977)

Polydor/Universal CD: 5-89791-2 - Lounge Legends: Sammy Davis, Jr. (2002)

Apologies for not being able to post a scan of the lavel , only of the picture sleeve for the 45 ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1218376287_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Sammy Davis Jr " You Can Count On Me ( Theme From "Hawaii 5-O ) "

20th Century 45: 6162-101 (1976)

20th Century LP: 6370-245 - The Song And Dance Man (1976)

20th Century LP: 9279-577 - Sings The Great TV Tunes (1977)

Polydor/Universal CD: 5-89791-2 - Lounge Legends: Sammy Davis, Jr. (2002)

Malc Burton

As far as I can see, there's nothing above that suggests that the 6162-101 release is from the US. The Sammy Davis Jr. discography which you have taken the above from ( https://members.ozemail.com.au/~lindenbrae/sdj/70-88.html ) seems to list records from all over the world.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

As far as I can see, there's nothing above that suggests that the 6162-101 release is from the US. The Sammy Davis Jr. discography which you have taken the above from ( https://members.ozemail.com.au/~lindenbrae/sdj/70-88.html ) seems to list records from all over the world.

There are many sites that state the 6162 - 101 release / label number as the original release for the disc , not just the one you state ......

In fact , that site was one of the last I checked to confirm the release / label mumber ; When the subject of the disc was brought up by my good mate Harry Crosby as being only a Dutch release , that is when I started to check as to its' country of origin , as I was sure that it had been released in the U.S. as a 45 .......

Anyway , let us drop the subject - Dutch release only or not ........

My apologies for breathing .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Isn't that awful Daddy Maxfield record of West German origin. ?

Archie Bell "1000 wonders" on 7"

I'm a big fan of the Cane & Able track "Relating a message to you" from their Italian Epic long player.

Social source share

the scan of the Sammy Davis Jr shows the dutch picture sleeve. It also came out in Germany but with a different p/s...

I refuse to duscuss or offer anything further on the SDJ record .......

I have got the mammary on :rolleyes: .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Astral Trip - Mystic Moods recorded in good ol London.

Paul

Internet reveiw for the following album .......

Mystic Moods " Clear Light " ( 1973 )

Spacey, funky, and a great update of the older easy sound of the Mystic Moods . This album's one of their best -- and it mixes breezy LA easy production with a cool funky electric sound, and lots of nice breaks and basslines! Part of the record might get a bit hippy-dippy, but there's some great funk albums on the record -- including the cuts "Kung Fu", "Ride The Sky", and "Astral Trip".

L. A. ? I assume this must be " London , 'Ammersmith " :rolleyes: .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Wasn't this given away as a freebie on the grand opening of a supermarket over there?

KTF

Baz

Why has this Italian originated recording proven so rare ? I debated the said 45 with knowledgable Italian friends while there last month , and they are in the dark as much as we are .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Can I hijack this thread? or at least send it in a different direction!

I've always had a theory that there are some excellent european origin singles out there that didn't get release in either US or UK. Usually recorded by US artists resident on the Continent they usually have that slightly different sound which sound neither US nor UK.

So let's share some of these and get away from SDJ for a while

Here's a starter:

Vigon - The Spoiler.

Is it a cover of Eddie Purell?

He also did a cover of Bob and Earl's "Your Time is My time." Think he was Belgian but unlike most of my Euro stuff it doesn't come in Pic Sleeve. So I can't even confirm him as a black artist.

Cheers

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert