Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Guest SteveJohnston

Ian & James what about the rest of us don't we have a frekin say.

Oh dear I cleared the floor last week with a Lumberjack song.

:) but i think Your spending to much time Up A Tree In The Woods biggrin.gif

Social source share

So was the 1998 reunion.

All gone now - they're pulling the building down/

Yes but it will live on in our memories and eternal thanks to you and Colin.Any chance of you two getting together to do a whole night? - 28 Nov 1998 style!

Still smile when I think of the 1998 re-union, are they really going to demolish the Mecca ?? :)

Social source share

Still smile when I think of the 1998 re-union, are they really going to demolish the Mecca ?? ohmy.gif

They are building a College & campus in its place - Blackpool is hoping eventually to turn it into a university & gain city status.

Social source share

Guest Adam G

They are building a College & campus in its place - Blackpool is hoping eventually to turn it into a university & gain city status.

What you mean like a school of Rock ! get it! .....seaside..... rock....ohhh suit yerselves

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

It sure is.

But it's not fitting into Levine's narrow and blinkered and outdated definition of what northern soul is this century.

So, please, can we keep it on topic wink.gif

shirtlifters of the bizarre world unite!

i love shirley lawson-just one more chance.

i do not care what messr levine likes or not!!

Social source share

Err wasn't that on the 11A bus route, twas an absolute nightmare in summer trying to get the bus down to Blackpool to get my fix of plastic at a little shop called Sinfonia owned by Freda & Sandy Mountain.

From that road were they use to hold the Wrestling :thumbsup: (Giant Hey Stacks ranting_1.gif Big Daddy)that leads down to the Adam & Eve club you would have 2 mile trudge of people walking on the road, just to many to fit on the pavement, Blackpool's boom time as a resort for the north and a few years later all that stopped probably why the Mecca was doomed :lol: lack of holiday makers.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

i really like it,pt2 sounds good,,whistles and stuff.......but W*gan? g.gif

Yes brilliant sound. Summer in the Park is the annual DC funk festival. It was the first Washington Go Go record played on northern scene and at Wigan. Listen for refernces to DC's own Soul Searchers. Brilliant but divided opinion as much as Boby Franklin.

Social source share

Yes brilliant sound. Summer in the Park is the annual DC funk festival. It was the first Washington Go Go record played on northern scene and at Wigan. Listen for refernces to DC's own Soul Searchers. Brilliant but divided opinion as much as Boby Franklin.

Broken at Mecca and yet pure street funk I hope it unites Ian and James in unadulterated love. I'm off to bed.

Social source share

What's going on here?

Is there a Doctor Who forum I can join where I can ask you questions about that? Any reading you can suggest on your contribution to the Dr Who scene?

Thankyou for bringing this disgraceful piss-take to my attention so I can have it removed.

Now I owe you one.

Social source share

you should stick to those psuedo masonic books. the truth is this. the vast majority of the northern soul fraternity went through a learning period during the '70s. yes,we danced to some amount of dodgy records then... BUT WE LEARNT TO SEPERATE THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF. we realised that the masquaraders, porgy and the monarchs, and little richie, were A million miles removed from what appears to be the majority of "brilliant" selections of yourself... i dont play any of the things you like in my house. and i dont know anybody who does. i would rather play the same sounds i played when i was 11 years old than to put up with the rubbish coming from your end. (certainly no offence to the original artists)

"You are ignoring this user"

Social source share

Here you go, all Levine discoveries...

GIGI & THE CHARMAINES - POOR UNFORTUNATE ME

EULA COOPER - LET OUR LOVE GROW HIGHER

THE TOPICS - HEY GIRL

MARVIN HOLMES - YOU BETTER KEEP HER

GEORGE CLINTON - PLEASE DON'T RUN

MODERN REDCAPS - NEVER TOO YOUNG

THREE DEGREES - CONTACT

HAROLD MELVIN - GET OUT

AL GARDNER - SWEET BABY

HOLLY MAXWELL - DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME

LITTLE DOOLEY - YOU BETTER BE READY

DIANE JENKINS - I NEED YOU, TOWAWAY ZONE

CHRIS CAMPBELL - YOU GOTTA PAY DUES

TOBBI BOWE - GROOVY FEELING

JESSE FISHER - YOU'RE NOT LOVING A BEGINNER

BILLY WOODS - LET ME MAKE YOU HAPPY

ROSE ST JOHN - MEND MY BROKEN HEART

CONQUISTADORS - SADNESS AND MADNESS

WADE FLEMONS - JEANETTE

I could go on but the point is, half of those records didn't go big for 20 years after Ian first played them - that is just a sample from 6 editions of Black Music where he reviewed new discoveries.

I'd have gone more for Rose Battiste, Frank Beverly, Bobby Garrett, The Larue, Lee David, Sons Of Moses, Salvadors, Robbie Lawson, Jimmy Mack, Ila Van, Jodi Mathis, Earl Wright, Roy Hamilton, Sweet Things, George Blackwell, Don Gardner, Velvet Satins, Epitome Of Sound, Mike Post, Bob Relf, Fuller Brothers, Len Jewell, Earl Jackson, Sam Ward, Bobby Hebb, Tobi Legend, Just Brothers (with a little help from Tony Rounce) etc etc more myself.

Social source share

Is this northern soul? Can you tell us how you achieved the horn section in this one, Ian?

By trying on this crap, you just undid any good you did in alerting me to the Doctor Who scam.

You're back to being the "C" word yet again. What a tosser !!!!!!!!

If you push me too far, I'm gonna go dig up some dirt on you that you'll wish I hadn't, pal.

Social source share

Yes but it will live on in our memories and eternal thanks to you and Colin.Any chance of you two getting together to do a whole night? - 28 Nov 1998 style!

I can't see it happening, sorry.

Social source share

Who cares eh? The infantile bickering between those two twats and James's lame attempts at humour have turned me right off this thread. They deserve each other.

That's enough for me. Back to soul music and the real world.

I thought you and I always got on and respected each other ???

Social source share

shirtlifters of the bizarre world unite!

i love shirley lawson-just one more chance.

i do not care what messr levine likes or not!!

One of my all time favourite records and I used to play it at Blackpool too.

Ask Smiffy - he'll remember how I always raved about it.

Kegsy sold me a cracked copy I just remembered.

Social source share

Funny how certain things stay in our minds? also remember waiting,dancing as long as i could before leaving the Whitchurch all-dayer when Ian played Linda Jones just as t

there was a bomb scare!

Steve

I also remember that. My first real Northern soul venue. Me & John Orritt just about walked back from Whitchurch to Liverpool and got the train back to Burscough. 15 year olds eh.

Also on the discovery front, Ian, you have listed the Epitome Of Sound. Were you playing that before the speeded up Simon Soussan "Moses Smith" version(which I heard played at a venue on Friday!) apeared at Wigan?. Not trying to catch you out, just re sorting memories.

Bye the way, I am thougroughly enjoying most of this thread.

Paul

Social source share

I'd have gone more for Rose Battiste, Frank Beverly, Bobby Garrett, The Larue, Lee David, Sons Of Moses, Salvadors, Robbie Lawson, Jimmy Mack, Ila Van, Jodi Mathis, Earl Wright, Roy Hamilton, Sweet Things, George Blackwell, Don Gardner, Velvet Satins, Epitome Of Sound, Mike Post, Bob Relf, Fuller Brothers, Len Jewell, Earl Jackson, Sam Ward, Bobby Hebb, Tobi Legend, Just Brothers (with a little help from Tony Rounce) etc etc more myself.

And of Course the Maisey doats? On shriniee test pressing! Remember you found it round the back of Deek Deberrys place next to the fishing tackle shop on Merrick Blvd, Jamaica, NY.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

By trying on this crap, you just undid any good you did in alerting me to the Doctor Who scam.

You're back to being the "C" word yet again. What a tosser !!!!!!!!

If you push me too far, I'm gonna go dig up some dirt on you that you'll wish I hadn't, pal.

Do you need some reading suggestions? Might be worth trying over on the funk message board, there's a couple of guys over there who might be able to give you an angle on me rolleyes.gif I did a bootleg compilation once. That was naughty. As I told you during the personal time we shared on Facebook, just ignore my posts, I won't be able to continue my studies if you do!

I've been doing some research into your contributions to Dr Who (I read the complete volume of Levine Northern Soul history, and you're not giving much more detail to your number one student, so had to move on to satisfy my need for learning). It's quite scary how their feelings towards you there are very similar to the feelings of the Northern Soul Scene are towards you. Which underlines my intial thoughts I had at the start of my studies that you are not motivated by the music or the society, but by the need for a feeling of importance, to feel wanted, the need for your ego to be rubbed.

When you were discussed as being possibly involved in putting together Dr Who episodes, comments like this start to crop up:

"He hates the new series, bitched about JNT ... and people would hate to work with him, meaning the show would fail because the Camaraderie that exsists now would go. The only good thing this man has done for the show is save a lot of the 'lost' episodes."

Can I ask you some questions about this, and how it compares to your feelings towards the northern soul community?

Your character is truely remarkable. Much more interesting, in my opinion, than any of the record stories you tell...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

It's a real shame that this thread, one of the most interesting in ages, has been ruined by people just trying to show Ian Levine up - for what? Making records in the 80's with synthesised drumbeats? Being a fan of Doctor Who? Leaving the Northern scene in the lurch?

Many of us where finding this topic really interesting but James, for goodness sake, if you've got a problem with Levine, which you obviously have, why don't you two thrash it out by PM because I'm pretty sure the rest of us don't want to read it.

If you don't like him then fine but stop ruining the topic, same for everyone else who have taken it way off topic.

Can we get back to talking about the music?

Social source share

Like I said - a random browse through five or six issues of Black Music magazine, not a potted history of discoveries

Social source share

And of Course the Maisey doats? On shriniee test pressing! Remember you found it round the back of Deek Deberrys place next to the fishing tackle shop on Merrick Blvd, Jamaica, NY.

Now there's a name from the past!

Hi Andy, hope you're well mate! You and Kegsy both joined SS in the same month, so the Bradford old firm is back!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It's a real shame that this thread, one of the most interesting in ages, has been ruined by people just trying to show Ian Levine up - for what? Making records in the 80's with synthesised drumbeats? Being a fan of Doctor Who? Leaving the Northern scene in the lurch?

Many of us where finding this topic really interesting but James, for goodness sake, if you've got a problem with Levine, which you obviously have, why don't you two thrash it out by PM because I'm pretty sure the rest of us don't want to read it.

If you don't like him then fine but stop ruining the topic, same for everyone else who have taken it way off topic.

Can we get back to talking about the music?

I've got nothing against Ian, other than his obvious use of this forum for self promotion and inflation of his ego while disregarding it's rules and regulations.

That is the point of this topic after all, isn't it, Pete? To give Ian's ego a shot in the arm? And if, as you say, I have ruined that, then that's not a bad thing.

I do find his character truely remarkable though. His connection to northern soul and records he found 40 years ago are irrelevent to my interest. As I told him, during our personal time, he can ignore me and I won't follow up a post if he doesn't reply.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I've got nothing against Ian, other than his obvious use of this forum for self promotion and inflation of his ego while disregarding it's rules and regulations.

That is the point of this topic after all, isn't it, Pete? To give Ian's ego a shot in the arm? And if, as you say, I have ruined that, then that's not a bad thing.

I do find his character truely remarkable though. His connection to northern soul and records he found 40 years ago are irrelevent to my interest.

We all need someone to put a metophorical arm around us now and again :D

Social source share

Now there's a name from the past!

Hi Andy, hope you're well mate! You and Kegsy both joined SS in the same month, so the Bradford old firm is back!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Now be Frank with me Ian? We never really left mate, Trust Mr Levine to create such a stir, Probably not seen you since 78? I believe with Paul down The central in Leeds. Or there abouts. But prior to that I still remember selling Twink, Lou Courtney "Trying to find my Woman" In the Railway pub one Sunday after the Mecca in 1973, Remember we used to meet there? Dave Rivers Laughed at my Sandy Nelson LP with "Itching in my heart" on same day, If I remember. It was on Red Vinyl or similar, But I sold it down at Wigan for a tenner, Came off Bostocks in the Bradford market for 20p! Lot's of big stuff came off there as you will recall. Talking of The Mecca I virtually lived there from 71 through to 76 as you know, Ah the halcyon days of youth! Remember the Infamous Simon visit in the Highland room? I think you'd have Given Mike Tyson a run for his money that evening! Good times indeed, Still see a few faces from the days gone, Ironicallly in Aussie which I visit quite often. I'll post a personal picture from the Mecca 74 on my profile, His greatness is behind me on the decks, Just opening his Maizy Doats 45 test press! Take care bud, Andy A.K.A The Pittance! wink.gif

Social source share

Actually it was Dave Rivers & Dave Burton who gave it to Ian to play, so I'm afraid the

London boys get the credit for discovering that gem................ :laugh:

Social source share

Actually it was Dave Rivers & Dave Burton who gave it to Ian to play, so I'm afraid the

London boys get the credit for discovering that gem................ :thumbsup:

I stand corrected! :lol: It went down a storm! unsure.gif Andy.

Social source share

I distinctly remember having a tape that i did on a saturday night at the Hanley Top Rank Rank ......With the specific intro "This is the one they want at the Mecca but we´ve got it here" end of quote, the DJ Martin Barnfather aka "Soul Sam"

I won it in an auction off Mike Cowley in 1973, and he listed the other side "Soul A Go Go", I think it was called, and described it as Northern, and he was usually right about undiscovered records so I took a chance and then discovered "The Larue" out of the blue and we made it massive in the summer of 1973, my biggest record when I returned to the Mecca that July. Prior to that, I had been the one DJing on Saturday nights in Hanley, so I would be fascinated to find out the date of your tape.

Social source share

Funny how certain things stay in our minds? also remember waiting,dancing as long as i could before leaving the Whitchurch all-dayer when Ian played Linda Jones just as t

there was a bomb scare!

Oh yes. The Whitchurch bomb scare.

It actually scared me because that had never happened to us before.

Social source share

I do find his character truely remarkable though. His connection to northern soul and records he found 40 years ago are irrelevent to my interest. As I told him, during our personal time, he can ignore me and I won't follow up a post if he doesn't reply.

The Souled Out film, Terry Neville ( :P ) article in Times Online, the phrase " Bigger than ever" being bandied about. What a timw for a triumphal come back for someone !

Or am I just an old cynic ?

Social source share

Also on the discovery front, Ian, you have listed the Epitome Of Sound. Were you playing that before the speeded up Simon Soussan "Moses Smith" version(which I heard played at a venue on Friday!) apeared at Wigan?. Not trying to catch you out, just re sorting memories.

Yes it came out of that 4000 records from Miami, on a white Sandbag demo.

If my hazy memory recalls, Soussan had no idea we were playing it and thought he had discovered something new, till someone from The Mecca pointed it out to Russ.

Social source share

We already talked about that one and I told the whole story earlier in this thread. And it was Colin, not me, who played it.

Social source share

Just Brothers (with a little help from Tony Rounce)

I see he's reading the thread.

Hello Tony.

Remember your early visits to the Mecca in 1971 ??

Remember me staying at your house as far back as 1969 ???

Social source share

"He hates the new series, bitched about JNT ... and people would hate to work with him, meaning the show would fail because the Camaraderie that exsists now would go. The only good thing this man has done for the show is save a lot of the 'lost' episodes."

Bit of a strange quote when I have consistently raved about the new series publicly, so that makes no sense to me at all. I even run a forum.

Social source share

The Souled Out film, Terry Neville article in Times Online, the phrase " Bigger than ever" being bandied about. What a timw for a triumphal come back for someone !

You're just an old cynic.

Besides, if I released albums called Northern Soul 2004 and Northern Soul 2007, where have I been ?? There was plenty said about me on Soul Source too, so where am I coming back from ????

Social source share

Bit of a strange quote when I have consistently raved about the new series publicly, so that makes no sense to me at all. I even run a forum.

The new series is nothing like Dr Who though Ian, it has more in common with Buffy or sommat imho.

Give me the 'Horror of Fang Rock' anyday, that's propper Dr Who!

Simon :P

Social source share

The Souled Out film, Terry Neville ( :thumbup: ) article in Times Online, the phrase " Bigger than ever" being bandied about. What a timw for a triumphal come back for someone !

Must admit the phrase 'Bigger than ever' scares me when being used to describe NS, i don't personally want it to be big, ever!

I would say keep it underground but it's sadly too late for that.

Siimon :P

Social source share

You're just an old cynic.

Besides, if I released albums called Northern Soul 2004 and Northern Soul 2007, where have I been ?? There was plenty said about me on Soul Source too, so where am I coming back from ????

Those albums aren't relevant to the scene though are they? Surely you are not claiming they are Ian ? I believe you said in an earlier reply to me that you are not interested in the scene, just making music. So a return is possible for you.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but its a hell of a coincidence. Still time will tell.

One other thing, didn't you originally come on here because of our attitudes to the Souled Out production ? Because that thread has died a death following this one starting. Was that the intention ?

Social source share

I wasn't aware any of us ever paid that much for a record back in 1975.

When John Anderson had the four copies of Billy Woods (me, Colin, Richard, and Sam), he only charged us £25 each.

I got it in £20 installments over the next month. :thumbup: Colin also paid about the same for

the Magnetics - lady in green off Bob Foster.

Can you shed any light on: Quasar one - Clevelend Eaton Whas this an accetete only recording ?

Regards Ritchie :P

Social source share

I think you're over-egging the situation James. :P

I actually quite like your 'angry young man' stance and I think you're a much-needed shot in the arm for the Northern Soul scene plus I love your gigs @ Soul Revolution but saying that records like Rose Battiste, Frank Beverly, Bobby Garrett, Lada Edmond Jr, The Detroit Executives, Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie, The Carstairs, Lee David, Sons Of Moses, Salvadors, Robbie Lawson, Jimmy Mack, Ila Van, Jodi Mathis, Earl Wright, Roy Hamilton, Sweet Things, George Blackwell, Don Gardner, Velvet Satins, Epitome Of Sound, Mike Post, Bob Relf, Tony Middleton,Fuller Brothers, Len Jewell, The Anderson Brothers, Maurice Williams, Jimmy Raye, Earl Jackson, Sam Ward, Bobby Hebb, Tobi Legend, Rosey Jones, Just Brothers, Billy Woods, George Clinton, Tony Clarke, Eula Cooper, Marvin Holmes, The Modern Redcaps, Harold Melvin, Tony Clarke etc, etc are irrelevent to your interest strikes me as being a bit disingenious to say the least. I heard a couple of 'em at the last Soul Revolution for a start so they're hardly irrelevent in your world mate.....

Much as I like your attitude, you'll have to do better than Kings Go Forth then to constantly try and belittle someone who discovered a list like the above. They're the rock-solid foundation of Northern Soul make no mistake.

If you can match the above in terms of sheer scale of magnificence in your set @ Essex I'll be dead impressed. I'm looking for first play discoveries here, OK?

No point in baiting Levine. Waste of youthfull energy IMO. Levine is bulletproof in terms in terms of insults and concerted campaigns against him because he's had 40 years of experience in deflecting 'em LOL. He's had the 'spoilt kid' jibes, the 'fat kid' jibes, the 'gay kid' jibes, the 'crap productions' jibes and the 'arrogant twat' vibes and seems impervious to all of 'em.

The funniest thing is in all my years on the scene, is that the only person who matches Ian Levine's level of self-righteousness and arrogance is YOU James!

Peas from the same pod? Do you wear white-socks? How do you find your recent fascination with 'Dr Who'?

I think we should be told.

Ian D :thumbup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

The Inspirations - No one else can take your place - Breakthrough.

Mick Smith has got R S,s old copy. I got this copy via Soul Sam.

I found out the other week Ted Massey has it now.

Hello,

Yes its me "Wuffers" mate from N Wales. Thanks for the info on the Inspirations

still less than ten copies I think, but don't regret selling it, cos it got me about

six of the top records of the time, plus the stuff in the box !

Regards Ritchie. :P

Social source share

I think you're over-egging the situation James. :P

I actually quite like your 'angry young man' stance and I think you're a much-needed shot in the arm for the Northern Soul scene plus I love your gigs @ Soul Revolution but saying that records like Rose Battiste, Frank Beverly, Bobby Garrett, Lada Edmond Jr, The Detroit Executives, Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie, The Carstairs, Lee David, Sons Of Moses, Salvadors, Robbie Lawson, Jimmy Mack, Ila Van, Jodi Mathis, Earl Wright, Roy Hamilton, Sweet Things, George Blackwell, Don Gardner, Velvet Satins, Epitome Of Sound, Mike Post, Bob Relf, Tony Middleton,Fuller Brothers, Len Jewell, The Anderson Brothers, Maurice Williams, Jimmy Raye, Earl Jackson, Sam Ward, Bobby Hebb, Tobi Legend, Rosey Jones, Just Brothers, Billy Woods, George Clinton, Tony Clarke, Eula Cooper, Marvin Holmes, The Modern Redcaps, Harold Melvin, Tony Clarke etc, etc are irrelevent to your interest strikes me as being a bit disingenious to say the least. I heard a couple of 'em at the last Soul Revolution for a start so they're hardly irrelevent in your world mate.....

Much as I like your attitude, you'll have to do better than Kings Go Forth then to constantly try and belittle someone who discovered a list like the above. They're the rock-solid foundation of Northern Soul make no mistake.

If you can match the above in terms of sheer scale of magnificence in your set @ Essex I'll be dead impressed. I'm looking for first play discoveries here, OK?

No point in baiting Levine. Waste of youthfull energy IMO. Levine is bulletproof in terms in terms of insults and concerted campaigns against him because he's had 40 years of experience in deflecting 'em LOL. He's had the 'spoilt kid' jibes, the 'fat kid' jibes, the 'gay kid' jibes, the 'crap productions' jibes and the 'arrogant twat' vibes and seems impervious to all of 'em.

The funniest thing is in all my years on the scene, is that the only person who matches Ian Levine's level of self-righteousness and arrogance is YOU James!

Peas from the same pod? Do you wear white-socks? How do you find your recent fascination with 'Dr Who'?

I think we should be told.

Ian D :thumbup:

Just to be clear James did not discover kings go forth. He was the last one at the party (two months to late in fact) on the funk board and saw an opportunity to trumpet on the northern scene for his own benefit, it had been played in clubs before he even knew what it was and certainly before he made a carver and played it. To be honest i don't think the term discovered is correct as the band themselfs brought it to the funk then soul scene.

Edited by fryer
Social source share

Just to be clear James did not discover kings go forth. He was the last one at the party (two months to late in fact) on the funk board and saw an opportunity to trumpet on the northern scene for his own benefit, it had been played in clubs before he even knew what it was and certainly before he made a carver and played it. To be honest i don't think the term discovered is correct as the band themselfs brought it to the funk then soul scene.

I stand corrected Motherfunk. I've just been bombarded with PM's on this point, for example, quote:-

"James Trouble DIDN'T 'discover' the Kings Go Forth 45...in fact his screaming at Ian Wright as to why he wasn't told about it 2 months after just about everyone else 'discovered' it is testament to that. There seems to be a common idea that he 'discovered' this record...by the time he got to it, we'd all played it to death!"

Etc, etc.

I didn't actually say he discovered it if you re-read the statement but I guess I used that example because James championed the record.

Phew. Gotta be on yer toes these days havencha.......!

Ian D :P

Social source share