Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

GUILTY AS CHARGED! not one of our better discoveries i will admit!

But we had a laugh, allways did ....still do.

This is Dave Rivers himself, corroborating the story.

You must admit, Dave, you tried very hard at first to get ME to play it, but I was having none of it.

I just remember Les Cokell on the floor. That was the funniest part. I also remember my lungs ached from laughing.

Social source share

You said back then that NS was dropped because of the quality of new music just could not be ignored & the quality sixties soul discoveries were failing to meet the quality control standards that Colin & you had tried to maintain.

Yes I did. And back then, they were.

Social source share

No. I never ever posesed a copy.

The Inspirations - No one else can take your place - Breakthrough

I can't even remember who sold it to Colin Curtis, the one sided record.

Great record. Always wanted one.

Actually Ian it was me. I got it from Neil Rushton at a Ritz Sunday All dayer, and took it to

The Mecca the following Saturday. Colin gave me some cash, and a small box of records for it.

Things like Virginia Blakly, and Sandi Blair on Mateus were in that box. I think later Colin sold it

to Mick Smith.

Best regards Ritchie. thumbsup.gif

Edited by RitchieAndrew
Social source share

Incidentally Ian we did not encourage you to play a lot of the poor disco tunes you featured (I Love Lucy - Night & Day - Bob Crewe etc.) - can't remember being in the shop urging you to buy them.

Guilty on 2 and 3.

2 was John Davis and The Monster Orchestra.

The first was 100% Les Cokell's fault and I put my foot down and said never again. Utter utter dross.

Social source share

Did you know I made the FIRST ever UK house record, in July 1987, four months before the first ever UK house chart hit ??

"On The House" by Midnight Sunrise featuring Jackie Rawe, with Nellie "Mixmaster" Rush.

Always thought that T-Coy "Carino" was the first ever UK released House record....sure it came out May 1987 on de/Construction

Social source share

Incidentally what was the last traditional Northern Soul record you played at The Mecca & when was it?

The Ivorys "Please Stay, The Admirations "You Left Me" and "Heaven Is In Your Arms", and some awful rubbish instrumental by Frank Foster. All purchased from a previously undiscovered big record shop in Chicago in the Summer of 1976, when I was recording stuff like Twenty Four Hours A Day and Baby I'm Still The Same Man

Social source share

Hello Ian,

My first LP compilation too. Still have it. Can remember just looking at the picture in amazement, and thinking that I would never see records like that, just buying UK releases at the time. Brill.

Of all the artists you have brought back into the limelight, was there anyone that just did not want to come back for some reason or another?

Thanks

P

Many.

Barrett Strong, Tata Vega, Caston and Majors, while I was doing Motorcity.

Al Wilson, Eloise Laws, Jackie Lee, Diane Jenkins, while I was doing SWONS

Social source share

Plus I was there almost every week even when I deejayed at Wigan..........

Ian D

You absolutely were.

Part of the fixtures and fitting.

I asked you about "On The House" a few pages back. Can you go find the post and give us your recollections ???

Social source share

Actually Ian it was me. I got it from Neil Rushton at a Ritz Sunday All dayer, and took it to

The Mecca the following Saturday. Colin gave me some cash, and a small box of records for it.

How much cash ???

Social source share

and some awful rubbish instrumental by Frank Foster.

If that's Harlem Rumble you're talking about i played this out at the weekend at the Brighton allnighter, most of the dancefloor didn't seem to find it rubbish infact quite the opposite.

Big tune at The Dome also as spun by Alan H, i'm guessing it probably got spins at the 'S' venue also. ph34r.gif

Simon

Social source share

I bought this LP as a new release.

Remember being so proud to finally own Curtis Blandon's "In The Long Run" and Jack Montgomery's "Do You Believe It", The Masqueraders "Do You Love Me Baby" Maxine Brown etc. Really superb and Soulful tunes most of us daren't have even dreamed of owning at the time (and I'd been a collector for over 5 years by the time of release).

The album took the availability of 'quality' UK released material to a different level. (The other PYE LP was total tosh in comparison).

It was this LP that caused me to seek out Katie Love's sublime "Hurts So Good".

I still rate it as the finest 'Northern' based Various Artists compilation LP... never bettered to this day.

Even the sleeve was a masterpiece!

Class mate. Pure class!

Sean

I'll second that. I bought it in on release too, at the tender age of 14. I later transferred it to CD. Not a duff track on it. Though I don't think the same can't be said for my other fave compilation album, Richard's RCA jobbie 'Jumping At The Go-Go', as much as I love Mr. Searling. The sleeve & Big Boris were crap, in my opinion of course...

I'm going to have to look for the official release on CD. What are the extra tracks in question? Would they have fit into the scheme of things in 1974? These two LP's were instrumental in terms of NS knowledge acquistion for sprogs like me.

Social source share

Hi ian

i have to say i am very impressed with you knowing you from old you would have been banned well before now, i dont know how you have kept calm you must have bitten your tongue off keeping some of your answers in check.

well done and keep it up.

mark

Social source share

I'd be interested to hear Ian Dewhirst's memories of this, when he's back online here.

I also remember sorting a deal with EMI on "All Over The Grapevine" which was meant to be J.J. Barnes but evolved into Steve Mancha instead.....

I think J.J. just wasn't available, so Steve Mancha flew in and I seem to remember it being tough to get a decent vocal out of him and the extra overhead cost in keeping him supplied with liquor LOL.....

And Ian's correct in saying that "On The House" - Midnight Sunrise was the first UK produced House record. A collaboration between Ian and Damon Rocheforte, who later went on the fame with Nomad's "I Wanna Give You (Devotion)" and who is now a scriptwriter for Coronation Street. The record came out on Crossover records which was a division of Serious Records.

Ian D :g:

Social source share

I'll second that. I bought it in on release too, at the tender age of 14. I later transferred it to CD. Not a duff track on it. Though I don't think the same can't be said for my other fave compilation album, Richard's RCA jobbie 'Jumping At The Go-Go', as much as I love Mr. Searling. The sleeve & Big Boris were crap, in my opinion of course...

I'm going to have to look for the official release on CD. What are the extra tracks in question? Would they have fit into the scheme of things in 1974? These two LP's were instrumental in terms of NS knowledge acquistion for sprogs like me.

The bonus tracks. Don't think Ian would have chosen Lee Miller's Lou Lawton discovery... :-)

17. I Wonder What My Baby's Doing Tonight - Maxine Brown (bonus track)

18. I Don't Want To Lose You - Mel Wynn (bonus track)

19. You Can't Keep A Good Man Down - Gentlemen Four (bonus track)

20. Let's Get Back Together - Honey Bees (bonus track)

21. Knick Knack Patty Wack - Lou Lawton (bonus track)

22. This Man - Wally Cox (bonus track)

23. Marching - Camp (bonus track)

24. All The Way From Heaven - Chancellors (bonus track)

25. Dearly Beloved - Jack Montgomery (bonus track)

26. Change - Earnestine Eady, The (bonus track)

Social source share

Things like Virginia Blakly, and Sandi Blair on Mateus were in that box. I think later Colin sold it

to Mick Smith.

Best regards Ritchie. :g:

Ah OK, I stand corrected ut I'm pretty sure Neil got it from Disco Bob didn't he.......?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

:g:

Just a question to mods...............I thought threads had to be closed when they reached 1000 posts. I do remember this rule being intorduced with the old Stoke, SS DARTS, threads and the SS LAAS.

QoFxx

Social source share

....still amazed this thread is going. The scene needs to move on a bit not dwell on an old has-been (never was in my eyes!) who delivered some of the worst, vacuous, badly produced rubbish known to man! He seems to avoid any question that doesn't massage his ego..(James asked pertinent questions, but got no answers?). Im sick to death of hearing from people who once were on the scene and then bang on about HOW it was and how great they WERE. I dont see Levine out and about, at venues, supporting the scene, adding to the atmosphere, dancing, chatting, sharing some 'soul' time. Things have changed and moved on and will keep doing so and unless you are out there experiencing it moment by moment, doing the miles and getting to venues, please just shut up. You are irrelevent to the PRESENT experience. YES, I know my history and realise the people who contributed to where we are now (between a rock and a hard place! :g: ). I, as a punter and collector am one of them! As is every other punter. But. as I said earlier, I have never liked Mr L's giant ego and have never liked his taste in music much either. The discovery of a few or even many, records, is not justification enough for his unctuous, self centred ramblings. He is the scenes equivilent of Jimmy Saville and now he is after his Knighthood....

Social source share

I bought this LP as a new release.

Remember being so proud to finally own Curtis Blandon's "In The Long Run" and Jack Montgomery's "Do You Believe It", The Masqueraders "Do You Love Me Baby" Maxine Brown etc. Really superb and Soulful tunes most of us daren't have even dreamed of owning at the time (and I'd been a collector for over 5 years by the time of release).

The album took the availability of 'quality' UK released material to a different level. (The other PYE LP was total tosh in comparison).

It was this LP that caused me to seek out Katie Love's sublime "Hurts So Good".

I still rate it as the finest 'Northern' based Various Artists compilation LP... never bettered to this day.

Even the sleeve was a masterpiece!

Class mate. Pure class!

Sean

Yes great LP when it came out i set myself the tast of getting the singles, it took about 7/8 weeks.

Social source share

If that's Harlem Rumble you're talking about i played this out at the weekend at the Brighton allnighter, most of the dancefloor didn't seem to find it rubbish infact quite the opposite.

Big tune at The Dome also as spun by Alan H, i'm guessing it probably got spins at the 'S' venue also. :g:

Simon

Yeah that's the one.

Hmmmmmmm !!!!!!!!

Social source share

£80 which to me then was a "small fortune".

Regards Ritchie.

I wasn't aware any of us ever paid that much for a record back in 1975.

When John Anderson had the four copies of Billy Woods (me, Colin, Richard, and Sam), he only charged us £25 each.

Social source share

You'd think they'd have at least consulted me. It was my bloody album, my choice of tracks, my own title, my sleevenotes. I was very proud of it. I could have written new sleevenotes thirty odd years later for it.

Talk about disrespect !!!!!

No wonder they went bust.

Social source share

to Mick Smith.

Best regards Ritchie. :g:

Mick Smith has got R S,s old copy. I got this copy via Soul Sam.

I found out the other week Ted Massey has it now.

Social source share

Ian as you know to me this maybe one of your best Productions what great Vocals and arrangements written along with you the great Sylvia Moy . Spoke to Fab the other day and he sends his Love and Support , just maybe we can film him next time when I'm In Detroit , this other Lovetones track what you keep saying is Better Than Fire Alarm.

">
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Ian

I'm intrigued to know more about your very early collecting days.

In your interview on DJHistory.com you say:

Started collecting Motown records as early as 13-years-old (1966). Really intensely by the time I was fourteen. I set out to get every Motown record ever released in the UK.

I am roughly your age, and I think your would agree that was pretty "wild" behavior for a 13 year old at that time. There was so much British stuff dominating the whole music scene at the time that 99.9% of 13 year olds buying records would have gone for the Beatles, Stones, Kinks etc. etc. etc. (a list at least 100 names long with only a smattering of U.S. names amongst it). Most of my friends would neither have known, nor cared, what record label their favourite artists were on, let alone reference numbers and the rest.

So what exactly caused you to buy your first TM record, and then the next, and how did it develop from there. Were you playing these records with friends, taking them down the youth club, or was it a completely different vibe altogether?

I thought I read once that you did have a "completest" set of the TM label. Is that right? What happened to it??

Sorry to pry in this direction - but how on earth did you fund such a "hobby". In 1966 it took about 2 weeks of my paper round money plus pocket money to buy one L.P. So amongst the 3 kids in our house we had just a small scattering of singles, E.P.'s and L.P.'s. I suppose in a way the scarcity made them even more precious to us. It is common knowledge that your parents were pretty wealthy. Had they put you on some stonking great allowance, or did you have access to a bottomless bank account - no questions asked!!

Don't mean this to be overly personal. Just trying to compare and contrast my mid-60's musical experiences with yours.

Ta!

MB

Social source share

Hi ian

i have to say i am very impressed with you knowing you from old you would have been banned well before now, i dont know how you have kept calm you must have bitten your tongue off keeping some of your answers in check.

well done and keep it up.

mark

I made an effort.

What would be the point in "f" ing and blinding and getting banned after two days ?????

It's been pleasant overall, with a few exceptions. More than I thought it would be. I had severe trepidation about rejoining.

But with Smiffy and Stuart Cosgrove and Ian Dewhirst and Dave Rivers and Epic and Chris Lalor and Paul Mooney, it feels like home surprisingly.

Except there are a few (but mercifully only only a VERY small few) who I wouldn't be rushing to invite into my home at all. And we all know the main culprit out of those.

Social source share

....still amazed this thread is going. The scene needs to move on a bit not dwell on an old has-been (never was in my eyes!) who delivered some of the worst, vacuous, badly produced rubbish known to man! He seems to avoid any question that doesn't massage his ego..(James asked pertinent questions, but got no answers?). Im sick to death of hearing from people who once were on the scene and then bang on about HOW it was and how great they WERE. I dont see Levine out and about, at venues, supporting the scene, adding to the atmosphere, dancing, chatting, sharing some 'soul' time. Things have changed and moved on and will keep doing so and unless you are out there experiencing it moment by moment, doing the miles and getting to venues, please just shut up. You are irrelevent to the PRESENT experience. YES, I know my history and realise the people who contributed to where we are now (between a rock and a hard place! :g: ). I, as a punter and collector am one of them! As is every other punter. But. as I said earlier, I have never liked Mr L's giant ego and have never liked his taste in music much either. The discovery of a few or even many, records, is not justification enough for his unctuous, self centred ramblings. He is the scenes equivilent of Jimmy Saville and now he is after his Knighthood....

Mean spirited and nasty. If you don't like the thread, then don't read it, OK? No one's twisting your arm......

Believe you me, I'm not Ian Levine's No.1 fan - we've had many differences of opinion over the years but if Levine never went to another Northern Soul venue again for the rest of his life, he would have still contributed 99% more to the scene than most of his detractors on here.

One thing I'd like Ian to do is list his early discoveries, from '69 to '75. Once you read that list you'll realise the massive influence he had on the scene in it's formative years, where, incidentaly, he clocked up many thousands of miles playing at different venues. You may not like the fact, but for the period from 1970-75, Ian Levine was the arbitor of good taste on the Northern scene and for that he should be applauded. Plus plenty of people obviously want to hear about his experiences, so who are you to moan? Go read another thread if you don't like this one........

Ian D :D

Social source share

takes some getting through this but hey, no work, cerdit crunch etc etc...........

two questions,

1. if the music played today is not to your liking,what have you heard in the last ten years that you did not know before and liked ?

2. dont know much about house versus northern ( soul ) music, but what do you think about the record by ''guts'' the french guy I think,cant remember what its called. ?

oh and James wants to come out as well :g:

Social source share

I also remember sorting a deal with EMI on "All Over The Grapevine" which was meant to be J.J. Barnes but evolved into Steve Mancha instead.....

I think J.J. just wasn't available, so Steve Mancha flew in and I seem to remember it being tough to get a decent vocal out of him and the extra overhead cost in keeping him supplied with liquor LOL.....

And Ian's correct in saying that "On The House" - Midnight Sunrise was the first UK produced House record. A collaboration between Ian and Damon Rocheforte, who later went on the fame with Nomad's "I Wanna Give You (Devotion)" and who is now a scriptwriter for Coronation Street. The record came out on Crossover records which was a division of Serious Records.

Ian D

All correct.

It wasn't that J.J. wasn't available. He had agreed to do it. He then went through some sort of deep depression and decided he never wanted to sing again. His wife, Bernice, was quite worried about his mood. So to save the project, you and I thought of "Rare Stamps" and picked the only other choice, but the whole story with Chris King and the booze was rather scary. This was 1986. Thankfully by 1989, I started recording a newly invigorated J.J. Barnes in earnest, and can proudly say that he had never ben in better voice, and went on over the following years to cut about twenty five songs with him.

Did you ever hear his duet with Ortheia ?? Neil used to say it was the best pair of vocals he had ever heard. I forgot about that till now. Needs a remix badly though, to get rid of those electronic drums.

Social source share

The bonus tracks. Don't think Ian would have chosen Lee Miller's Lou Lawton discovery... :-)

17. I Wonder What My Baby's Doing Tonight - Maxine Brown (bonus track)

18. I Don't Want To Lose You - Mel Wynn (bonus track)

19. You Can't Keep A Good Man Down - Gentlemen Four (bonus track)

20. Let's Get Back Together - Honey Bees (bonus track)

21. Knick Knack Patty Wack - Lou Lawton (bonus track)

22. This Man - Wally Cox (bonus track)

23. Marching - Camp (bonus track)

24. All The Way From Heaven - Chancellors (bonus track)

25. Dearly Beloved - Jack Montgomery (bonus track)

26. Change - Earnestine Eady, The (bonus track)

I would have gone along with Wally Cox, The Chancellors, and Jack Montgomery.

I would never have allowed the rest.

I would have used Johnny Maestro, The Ivorys, and what was that stunning record on Sceptre that we played at the Rocket ??? Complete memory blank on what it was called.

Social source share

Just a question to mods...............I thought threads had to be closed when they reached 1000 posts. I do remember this rule being intorduced with the old Stoke, SS DARTS, threads and the SS LAAS.

QoFxx

No no no no no.

Please NO.

That would be too awful for words.

Social source share

Heaven is Listening to soul records that hit you full on and the vocals just pore down all over you and you know you just have to DANCE!

What a brilliant quote.

Social source share

The Ivorys "Please Stay, The Admirations "You Left Me" and "Heaven Is In Your Arms", and some awful rubbish instrumental by Frank Foster. All purchased from a previously undiscovered big record shop in Chicago in the Summer of 1976, when I was recording stuff like Twenty Four Hours A Day and Baby I'm Still The Same Man

Admirations(both), + Living Color etc from 76, but Ivorys i had this in 75.

Social source share

QoFxx

Why would you want to spoil so many people's enjoyment ??

29,195 views so far. If people want to make the effort to log on and read, why ruin it for them ???

Social source share

"You are ignoring this user".

Social source share

No no no no no.

Please NO.

That would be too awful for words.

But you can't have one rule for one and another for the rest of us, that just wouldn't be fair would it Ian :g:

You just start another thread called part II quite simple really.

But lets just see what the mods have to say, as its you they may just let it ride. :D

QoFxx

Social source share

29,195 views so far. If people want to make the effort to log on and read, why ruin it for them ???

I don't want to ruin peoples enjoyment, i am enjoying the banter as well but rules are rules

QoFxx

Social source share

Ian as you know to me this maybe one of your best Productions what great Vocals and arrangements written along with you the great Sylvia Moy . Spoke to Fab the other day and he sends his Love and Support , just maybe we can film him next time when I'm In Detroit , this other Lovetones track what you keep saying is Better Than Fire Alarm.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

But you can't have one rule for one and another for the rest of us, that just wouldn't be fair would it Ian :g:

You just start another thread called part II quite simple really.

But lets just see what the mods have to say, as its you they may just let it ride. :D

QoFxx

Why would you want to see the thread closed. Honestly, sometimes it's like being at school on here. Who cares if it's gone over 1000 posts, at least it's been interesting.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Carscoop_Ferrari_F430_10.jpg

Social source share

Steve G wrote:

The two issues I had / have with Ian that I am aware of are:

1) his calling what he does today as "NS" - he knows I don't agree with that, and was critical of his NS 2007 CD, not because of the musical content, but because of the assumption (his) that you can create CDs full of NS today - I just don't see it as authentic, and it's all about what is "Northern Soul" - a style of music that anyone can make, anytime, or a scene based on recordings from a genre and a period in time - he and I disagree on that and will forever

Nevertheless, if it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and flies like a duck, then it's a bleedin' duck, whether it fits into Steve Guarnori's little pigeonhole of what makes a duck a duck, or not.

Ian I do not agree. If I took FYC "Good thing" it certainly sounds like northern, wadles like northern but it ain't bleedin' northern (good record as it is). Not in my rather large pidgeonhole it ain't northern anyway. Same with Edwyn Collins. There are plenty of records that sound like northern which simply ain't northern.

Not an ideal analogy perhaps, but if I want to go to a Picasso exhibition, I want to see Picassos not Fred from Islington's interpretation of Picassos. :g:

I have been very reasonable so far.

There are lots of other threads for you to read, without you having to be miserably suffering this one, you know, Steve.

I am not miserable Ian - I have had a splendid weekend away and have 16 pages of your thread to read over lunch.

Social source share

Why would you want to see the thread closed. Honestly, sometimes it's like being at school on here. Who cares if it's gone over 1000 posts, at least it's been interesting.

Pete, as I said to Ian in my earlier reply, I do not want to ruin the fun, I am housebound with a broken ankle at the moment and the thread is at least saving me from the hell that is daytime TV but as Ian keeps quoting what the rules are...................

QoFxx

Social source share