Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Good God.

A - I hate the red eye.

B - I was a lot thinner.

C - It's THE most unflattering shot

D - where the hell did that come from ???

the opening night at the rocket, i've got quite a few on a disc, and some taken in spoofers beforehand,

martin alsop aka mr click took them, he sent me the disc back then, some 6/7 years now, some good group ones, yourself, john nightingale, myself, big gav,jeremy hanson etc.

some good ones of all the d.j.s too

Social source share

the opening night at the rocket, i've got quite a few on a disc, and some taken in spoofers beforehand,

martin alsop aka mr click took them, he sent me the disc back then, some 6/7 years now, some good group ones, yourself, john nightingale, myself, big gav,jeremy hanson etc.

some good ones of all the d.j.s too

Social source share

Baby Boy? Love Reputation? Nf Porter Keep on Keeping on?...I'll think of a few more later

"Baby Boy" and "A Love Reputation" were both 60's recordings and "Keep On Keeping On" was a 70's recording which sounded 60's. I can't see any similarities to the Carstairs/Montclairs both of which sound archetypical early 70's and much more sophisticated arrangements and recordings to my ears........

Ian D :D

Social source share

With the utmost respect, I don't think any of those sound like the Montclairs or Carstairs (if that's what we're talking about)...

they were never 100mph stompers, what about Maxine Brown?

I take yours and Ians point however if the Carstairs or the Montclairs had been played at the Torch would they now be refered to as Torch Monsters...If Ian Levine had played Robbie Lawson at the Torch it would now be up there with the torch top ten of all time.

Another one for ya...Denise Laselle - Do Me Right????

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Ok, sorry.

I have a quetion, sir?

If this is the Ian Levine northern soul thread, why are you posting so many tracks that have nothing to do with the northern soul scene?

James i have a quetion for you,

Would you say it is ok to make Funk records today to be played by the today funk DJ's?

Social source share

Or look at it from a different perspective. What if Cindy Scott (another one) had bombed in 1972?

Personally, I don't think it would have, which might seem a little predictable, no?

I'm of the opinion that breaking ground is important. Lots of jocks have broken ground over the years, including yourself Pablo...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James i have a quetion for you,

Would you say it is ok to make Funk records today to be played by the today funk DJ's?

I'm not sure I'm allowed to answer this?

But if I am:

"> Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

While i think about it ,just purchased, again, Party Music-Pat Lundy,,,,one of my faves from that era...........

One of the best records ever made.

Social source share

Well said.....and sound just as good today. Boogie Man Orchestra anyone?

Ohhhhhhhh

Lady Lady Lady.

Magic.

The vocal side wasn't a patch on those strings. Mel Hayes, wasn't it ???

Social source share

as you know chris it's the 1st night a the rocket, i must assure those on here that never went, it did fill up a bit more later lol.

it was a behind closed doors thing.

1500 for the opening night.

Social source share

wasn;t that the other side Ian?

Nope. Absolutely not. It was "What A Wonderful Night For Love"

I was there.

Les Cokell adored it. Having such a dark side to his personality was at odds with the fact that all his favourite records were utterly joyously uplifting.

If he had been still alive, our "Trouble"d friend would have had a field day trying to psychoanalyse a mind as contradictory as that one was.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Ohhhhhhhh

Lady Lady Lady.

Magic.

The vocal side wasn't a patch on those strings. Mel Hayes, wasn't it ???

Yes, Mel Hayes vocal and I agree, instrumental far better due to those strings. It was that side which was played first I recall.

John.

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

If this is the Ian Levine northern soul thread, why are you posting so many tracks that have nothing to do with the northern soul scene?

I'm not.

Everything I posted is either Northern Soul, or of interest to Northern Soul fans by virtue of artist or vocal style.

Many have PM'd me to say that you're too like me. It's disturbing. I don't think I'd like you at all if I met you. I tend to like people who are diametrically opposite to me as I like to have the last word, and can't work with people who are too confrontational.

Social source share

If Ian Levine had played Robbie Lawson at the Torch it would now be up there with the torch top ten of all time.

No but I played it at the Mecca and it was massive.

Social source share

But if I am:

The four videos you posted are the absolute antithesis of the music I love.

They have more in common with early Atlantic and Stax.

I love NORTHERN SOUL with its wistful chord changes and uplifting full arrangements.

You have just made me dislike Sharon Jones more than I thought I did. Ugh !!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm not.

Everything I posted is either Northern Soul, or of interest to Northern Soul fans by virtue of artist or vocal style.

Okay dockey, if you say so, I wouldn't know.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I love NORTHERN SOUL with its wistful chord changes and uplifting full arrangements.

You have just made me dislike Sharon Jones more than I thought I did. Ugh !!!!!!!

Okey dockey.

Social source share

he was answering a question thsat was posed to him ian that the funk scene are quite happy to play new stuff.

it was james who really pushed the kings go forth? as a northern record have you had a listen to it ian.

i cant beleive i am sticking up for james biggrin.gif

mark

Social source share

As I have now explained on here several times, there were only 100 copies ever pressed, it was the only legitimate first issue of a legitimate record, and it was recorded in 1974 a full year before I even met Danny Leake.

At the time it was being hyped as "25 copies found in Danny leake's basement" and you know it was - one thing you cannot re-write / remix is history. Now you say it's 100 copies and a "first issue" Fair enough I know it's a first issue - Mark Houghton found one in Record & Tape Exchange for £1....but it was pressed up at Damon Hayes Middlesex in 2001 or whenever and not in 1974 as people were led to believe. If you had said you had this great unissued record (which it was) and sold those 100 copies at 10 or 15 or even 20 each you would have got much more credibility from this whole episode rather than trying to make out it was something it wasn't. Presumably another 'dupe' for those oh so foolish collectors, except a few genuine guys got caught up in this one. The saga didn't do you any favours at all Ian, but at least you are now being open about it.

I don't dislike him as a bloke.

I just hate how anorak and closed minded he is, and think he's missing out, and find him too reactionary for my way of thinking.

Too reactionary - Moi? I'll get me anorak! just because I don't like some of your recordings does not make me any more closed minded than you are to aspects of the northern scene or soul music that you don't happen to like. Like you I don't like the R&R stuff or the dirges or the R&B, but there's an awful lot of other good stuff out there still today man.

Social source share

But you are missing the point Ian. Northern Soul is a far broader church than you think.....You've missed many years of it's development when you weren't around and it's not all "wistful chord changes and uplifting full arrangements". That's a part of it, but not all of it. Next you'll be telling me that Jimmy Radcliffe or Joe Hicks (two ends of the spectrum) isn't northern soul.

Social source share

Northern Soul is a far broader church than you think.....You've missed many years of it's development when you weren't around and it's not all "wistful chord changes and uplifting full arrangements".

More's the pity.

Social source share

Yes he did get it from "Daly City Bob" Some great stuff came from him back in the day.

Regards Ritchie. thumbsup.gif

I think we all got great stuff off him back in the day.

I take it you are Ritchie from N. Wales.

If so are you still in touch with Wuffer (Russ Taylor)?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What's going on here?

Is there a Doctor Who forum I can join where I can ask you questions about that? Any reading you can suggest on your contribution to the Dr Who scene?

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Finally.

The truth will set you free.

you should stick to those psuedo masonic books. the truth is this. the vast majority of the northern soul fraternity went through a learning period during the '70s. yes,we danced to some amount of dodgy records then... BUT WE LEARNT TO SEPERATE THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF. we realised that the masquaraders, porgy and the monarchs, and little richie, were A million miles removed from what appears to be the majority of "brilliant" selections of yourself... i dont play any of the things you like in my house. and i dont know anybody who does. i would rather play the same sounds i played when i was 11 years old than to put up with the rubbish coming from your end. (certainly no offence to the original artists)

Social source share

Yeah it does.

Shame i've always been an athiest.. Here's some other revalations for ya, the Worlds not flat. Darwin has been proven correct and the Moon's not made of green cheese.

Ian if you listen to these current Chicago & Detroit Dj's like.

Theo Parrish https://www.deephousepage.com/media/theo21.ram

Rahaan https://www.dhpmixes.com/mixes/rahaan0302.mp3

Kenny Dixon Jnr https://blip.tv/file/642621

These are fusing House, Deep Disco and Soul. Would you say it's carrying on the essence of the Mecca.

Social source share

Shame i've always been an athiest.. Here's some other revalations for ya, the Worlds not flat. Darwin has been proven correct and the Moon's not made of green cheese.

Ian if you listen to these current Chicago & Detroit Dj's like.

Theo Parrish https://www.deephousepage.com/media/theo21.ram

Rahaan https://www.dhpmixes.com/mixes/rahaan0302.mp3

Kenny Dixon Jnr https://blip.tv/file/642621

These are fusing House, Deep Disco and Soul. Would you say it's carrying on the essence of the Mecca.

Was that photo in your avatar taken at St leonards On Sea?

Social source share

Here you go, all Levine discoveries...

GIGI & THE CHARMAINES - POOR UNFORTUNATE ME

EULA COOPER - LET OUR LOVE GROW HIGHER

THE TOPICS - HEY GIRL

MARVIN HOLMES - YOU BETTER KEEP HER

GEORGE CLINTON - PLEASE DON'T RUN

MODERN REDCAPS - NEVER TOO YOUNG

THREE DEGREES - CONTACT

HAROLD MELVIN - GET OUT

AL GARDNER - SWEET BABY

HOLLY MAXWELL - DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME

LITTLE DOOLEY - YOU BETTER BE READY

DIANE JENKINS - I NEED YOU, TOWAWAY ZONE

CHRIS CAMPBELL - YOU GOTTA PAY DUES

TOBBI BOWE - GROOVY FEELING

JESSE FISHER - YOU'RE NOT LOVING A BEGINNER

BILLY WOODS - LET ME MAKE YOU HAPPY

ROSE ST JOHN - MEND MY BROKEN HEART

CONQUISTADORS - SADNESS AND MADNESS

WADE FLEMONS - JEANETTE

I could go on but the point is, half of those records didn't go big for 20 years after Ian first played them - that is just a sample from 6 editions of Black Music where he reviewed new discoveries.

Social source share

Was that photo in your avatar taken at St leonards On Sea?

Nope back of the Daily Mirror building in Holborn.

It's the photo that appeared in the Daily mirror in 1980 to go with an article in the paper.

Social source share

But if I am:

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

You missed this one young man.........

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Great tune - love it. Remember playing this at Skegness last year off the album when Fish first got them- a few people's ears pricked up alright.

Yeah, but they're not real northern soulies, are they? Not the kind of true die hard soulie who want swishing strings, swirling harmonies and Rick Astley drum machines.

Is this northern soul? Can you tell us how you achieved the horn section in this one, Ian?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Great tune - love it. Remember playing this at Skegness last year off the album when Fish first got them- a few people's ears pricked up alright.

Yep, a top LP alround. Was a bit pissed I missed her by a couple of weeks whilst recently holidaying in NY. Folk tell me they're the dogs live - like a knob I planned me hols to get back for the football season (a shining bright idea that was)

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

This thread is now closed, please do not post here again, do not pass go do not play Sandi Sheldon.

Soul Source Police :)

oh please no,

ive just gone and bought myself some incontinence knickers,

so that i can carry on reading and simply p**s myself, without spoiling the upholstery

carry on, carry on

i dont know either ian or james, but IMHO, ian is coming first with james sounding like a tw*t in second place

this should run and run

only an opinion of course

shep laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest chartertime

You are most welcome. It was wonderful in its day. So was the 1998 reunion.

All gone now - they're pulling the building down/

Yes but it will live on in our memories and eternal thanks to you and Colin.Any chance of you two getting together to do a whole night? - 28 Nov 1998 style!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

he was answering a question thsat was posed to him ian that the funk scene are quite happy to play new stuff.

it was james who really pushed the kings go forth? as a northern record have you had a listen to it ian.

i cant beleive i am sticking up for james biggrin.gif

mark

If Snowboy can play a track by Speedometer from Norwich at a Funk night and make James almost come in his pants i don't see anything wrong with that at all other than James getin a bit to excited :) , then I can't see anything wrong with any DJ that thinks if any one of Ian's (or any producers for that matter) records are good enough to play at a N/S night doing so, what dose it matter if it's produced in the UK, USA, of Finland, It's plane to see what Ian and James call N/Soul are worlds apart but at the end of the day when anyone DJ's you live and die by what happens on the dance floor.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Mike should close em altogether and send you in the chat room :)tongue.gif at least this topic by and large is on topic.

but that's the beauty of freebasing it doesn't have to be on topic, mind you, these days I spend very little time in there as things are far too exciting out here in the real world tongue.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

If Snowboy can play a track by Speedometer from Norwich at a Funk night and make James almost come in his pants i don't see anything wrong with that at all other than James getin a bit to excited :) , then I can't see anything wrong with any DJ that thinks if any one of Ian's (or any producers for that matter) records are good enough to play at a N/S night doing so, what dose it matter if it's produced in the UK, USA, of Finland, It's plane to see what Ian and James call N/Soul are worlds apart but at the end of the day when anyone DJ's you live and die by what happens on the dance floor.

Steve J

Ian & James what about the rest of us don't we have a frekin say.

Oh dear I cleared the floor last week with a Lumberjack song.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Ian & James what about the rest of us don't we have a frekin say.

Who cares eh? The infantile bickering between those two twats and James's lame attempts at humour have turned me right off this thread. They deserve each other.

That's enough for me. Back to soul music and the real world.

Social source share