Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

This is absolutely true.

Every writer of every song gets paid for every sale of every DVD.

Paul Mooney publishes some of those songs. I'm certain he will corroborate this.

Yes I'm happy to confirm that mechanical royalties are being earned from sales.

Only publishers and writers will earn anything until the project is recouped. That's how the system works.

I think most of the artists realise that SWONS may never recoup on costs. And if it does recoup, the artist royalties are to be shared by many individual artists.

It's obvious that SWONS had a purpose other than generating an income. I see it as a historic documentary.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

:lol:

Are you sh***ng Ian :D

Am I shaving Ian? I think he can do that himself.

:yes: Depends what you are shaving..... :lol::yes:

Can I ask a request Mr L, on behalf of Me & Moggy etc ?

If we agree to say that we like 'all' your music, could you de hypnotize Pete & return him to us 60's Neanderthals ? It's unnerving watching him metamorph.......He'll be gluing his Mel Britt back together next ! :yes:

Social source share

:yes: Depends what you are shaving..... :lol::lol:

If we agree to say that we like 'all' your music, could you de hypnotize Pete & return him to us 60's Neanderthals ? It's unnerving watching him metamorph.......He'll be gluing his Mel Britt back together next ! :D

It was the Carstairs, you know that - I'd never harm a Mel Britt!

Social source share

And I would do it again in a second if she was going out of her way to ruin something that was important, out of vicious spite, and behaving like a total inconsiderate cow at the same time.

Even her husband was embarrassed about it, but she had obviously nagged him into coming over.

Why are you so bothered by this. Does the fact she was female make her sacred or something ????

Sacred? No.

I was however brought up to respect women and taught it is wrong to lay a hand on a woman, and I have brought my sons up to believe that as well. It's about common decency.

Putting the boot on the other foot, do you have a problem with women? You think it's ok elbowing them, you've slagged Joan for reasons which are not clear and called Dawn a fascist!

Do you have "mother issues"?

Did your mother make you a homosexual?

If I sent her the wool, would she make me one?

Social source share

It was the Carstairs, you know that - I'd never harm a Mel Britt!

:lol::lol: S**t !! I can't believe i made that mistake ! :D

I've got him on the brain... it must have been that bit i read where Ian thought he was Colin Curtis :yes::yes::yes:

Social source share

If we agree to say that we like 'all' your music, could you de hypnotize Pete & return him to us 60's Neanderthals ? It's unnerving watching him metamorph.......He'll be gluing his Mel Britt back together next ! :lol:

:lol::D:yes::yes:

QoFxx

Social source share

oooo me to, the gays I have shared houses with in the past have all been so clean and tidy and always put the loo seat down :lol:

QoFxx

ooooooooops just realised the smudge on my lap top screen that I tried to remove was a little fly now thats made the smudge worse :lol:

Social source share

Sacred? No.

I was however brought up to respect women and taught it is wrong to lay a hand on a woman, and I have brought my sons up to believe that as well. It's about common decency.

Putting the boot on the other foot, do you have a problem with women? You think it's ok elbowing them, you've slagged Joan for reasons which are not clear and called Dawn a fascist!

Did your mother make you a homosexual?

Dave, i agree with you beliefs, and admire you instilling them in your sons,

However it doesn't always work in the 'real' world,

A few years ago my son was on one of his first nights out, the day after he came to his dad for some advice,

He asked, 'dad i was out last night having a great time, then a young 'lady' who i have never seen before came up to me and slapped me, knocking my glasses off and breaking them, then her and all her mates were pointing at me and laughing, everybody was looking, in the same situation what would you have done dad?

I only had one reply as i like to be honest to my kids,

I'd have knocked her out son, clean out cold,

Sorry if this offends you Dave

BTW he picked his glasses up and ran off, which i am equally proud of, but i'm afraid gender , size, or whatever doesn't give anyone the licence to be a bully,

Social source share

:yes: Depends what you are shaving..... :lol::lol:

If we agree to say that we like 'all' your music, could you de hypnotize Pete & return him to us 60's Neanderthals ? It's unnerving watching him metamorph.......He'll be gluing his Mel Britt back together next ! :D

Think it's anthing to do with me going back on the prozac???

Social source share

A few years ago my son was on one of his first nights out, the day after he came to his dad for some advice,

He asked, 'dad i was out last night having a great time, then a young 'lady' who i have never seen before came up to me and slapped me, knocking my glasses off and breaking them, then her and all her mates were pointing at me and laughing, everybody was looking, in the same situation what would you have done dad?

BTW he picked his glasses up and ran off, which i am equally proud of, but i'm afraid gender , size, or whatever doesn't give anyone the licence to be a bully,

Edited by big chris
Social source share

That in in itself is a pretty disgusting post addressed to a German member of the forum

Yes Pete, I agree 100% when I first read it my initial reaction was to have my account closed. Not wanting to be a member of a forum that let this kind of post stand.

Not nice pal............you are touching on subjects that have NOTHING to do with music - just (political) censorship and, ultimately, mass-genocide - you are alluding to a very dark time in human history and it has no place on here and I know most people out there will agree - get a grip!

Horrible post - completely unnecessary - totally over the top and nasty...how can you think it's okay to say something like that to a fellow soul music lover? Totally, totally out of order Paul - I'm completely gutted that somebody would post up something like that on here - you've just spoiled my day....no sides being taken here - just complete disgust at the lack of human decency shown here...

MRez

Hear, hear Mark
:lol:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Think it's anthing to do with me going back on the prozac???

:D Don't know, that's about the only one they never tried on me :yes:

This s**t i'm on now is pretty good though wacko.gif:lol:

:lol: You are only joking about the prozac though ain't you ? pm me if not.

Social source share

You don't offend me Pete, personally I reckon your son may have done the right thing though. Either way, would he have bragged about on the internet if he'd taken the other option?

Agree about the bullying, whether it be in "real life" or by threatening emails.

Social source share

:D Don't know, that's about the only one they never tried on me :yes:

This s**t i'm on now is pretty good though wacko.gif:lol:

:lol: You are only joking about the prozac though ain't you ? pm me if not.

No need to PM, doesn't bother me - yes I am, if you remember, Dee's pregnancy threw me sideways and I've had a very bad 4 or 5 months so for everyones sake I decided to do something about it :yes: all fine now!

Social source share

But to be fair to Ian, I understand he was only allowed so many complimentary copies by Wienerworld and, sadly, that wasn't nearly enough to supply 179 featured artists.

It wasn't enough to supply 17 artists.

Social source share

Imo he's a Northern soul legend for so many reasons he's also the most sycophantic indvidual I have EVER come across.

Cya

I am truly very sorry you feel that way, as my sentiments were genuine, and not remotely sycophantic, and Neil has been impossible to reach by phone.

Social source share

Yes I'm happy to confirm that mechanical royalties are being earned from sales.

Only publishers and writers will earn anything until the project is recouped. That's how the system works.

I think most of the artists realise that SWONS may never recoup on costs. And if it does recoup, the artist royalties are to be shared by many individual artists.

It's obvious that SWONS had a purpose other than generating an income. I see it as a historic documentary.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

I saw it as a time capsule, a testament to the music we love, for future generations to enjoy, free of the bias and taint that has haunted our generation.

Social source share

You don't offend me Pete, personally I reckon your son may have done the right thing though. Either way, would he have bragged about on the internet if he'd taken the other option?

Agree about the bullying, whether it be in "real life" or by threatening emails.

Not sticking up for anybody here, i wasn't there on the night in question regarding this thread, just saying its not a one size fits all belief, and yes my son did do the 'right' thing, but if he had chose the other option i don't think it would have been the 'wrong' thing to do either,

Have to say though its a long time since the initial post on here and wasn't aware of any 'bragging'

Finally i would much rather be bullied by the odd email than be physically abused in public, i would like to think i could ignore a heated email, and if not or if it continued look at doing something about it, but in the real world Dave decisions have to be made instantly, rightly or wrongly,

Social source share

No need to PM, doesn't bother me - yes I am, if you remember, Dee's pregnancy threw me sideways and I've had a very bad 4 or 5 months so for everyones sake I decided to do something about it :lol: all fine now!

Really sorry to hear that m8 :D No I didn't know that I thought everything was fine & rosey with you.

Glad you are on the mend again though & if ever I can ever be of help or anything just call :lol:

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

No. I love, adore, and respect my Mother.

But I don't love nasty bitter old cows who are rude to me, and try to interfere with me filming, and go out of their way to be a bloody aggravating nuisance, and no, I didn't have any respect for that cow whatsoever.

And this was an amusing story that I told, so why in HELL does it bother YOU so much ???

Besides, I'm gay and glad to be. I don't have to treat women as sex objects or as nagging wives, take your pick which. I have lots of female friends, I even live with one, but I'm not sorry for pushing a stupid troublemaking cow out of the way, no I'm not. She deserved a slap across the face.

Social source share

WELL SAID.

BLOODY WELL SAID.

Social source share

Hello Ian,

I don't know you, but after reading all of these threads, I am not surprised you are fed up with the soul scene (if they are the right words).

I am very happy to stay in the safety of my home!

I have enjoyed the videos.

Thankyou.

And you and others like you are the reason I am here posting on this thread, despite all the attacks.

It's still worth it to read a lovely post like yours.

Social source share

But I don't love nasty bitter old cows who are rude to me, and try to interfere with me filming, and go out of their way to be a bloody aggravating nuisance, and no, I didn't have any respect for that cow whatsoever.

And this was an amusing story that I told, so why in HELL does it bother YOU so much ???

Besides, I'm gay and glad to be. I don't have to treat women as sex objects or as nagging wives, take your pick which. I have lots of female friends, I even live with one, but I'm not sorry for pushing a stupid troublemaking cow out of the way, no I'm not. She deserved a slap across the face.

Amusing story? Did you really think so? Oh well..

Social source share

I can't remember if I ever posted this earlier in the thread or not. I started to look but gave up.

This was on a seven inch, got lots of play in the more open minded clubs, and I adore it.

Whether those who like punchier songs think it's too dated, or those who like only original 60s think it's too derivative, or those who write self-important columns for Manifesto think it's criminal to try to recapture that Northern Soul sound, or whatever, yada yada yada.

I couldn't give a flying fig when it comes to THIS song, that still makes my spine tingle.

If you don't like it, simply don't watch it. But don't come back to me offering suggestions as to how it should have been done, or what it might have sounded like if Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings had made it, or how irrelevant it is to today's record buyers, or how modern technology can't make a real record or whatever whatever whatever.

COS I BLOODY LOVE IT AS IT IS.

">
Social source share

I saw it as a time capsule, a testament to the music we love, for future generations to enjoy, free of the bias and taint that has haunted our generation.

Repeating what i said on the other thread about SWON's.

I don't doubt your reasons for making it one bit ! but what my feelings were, & I say this because others may have felt similar & it may have had an effect on sales ?, that it sort of soiled (for want of a better word) the memories a bit.

This is no way a reflection on you, it was just a strange feeling seeing the artists as old people. I guess it was a bit like the situation where you read a book & then see a film, it sometimes never seems as good.

I suppose I had formed an image of what these artists looked like & the later reality was sort of a wake up call to my own aging & mortality. Bit garbled I know but do you sort of understand what I mean.

I know this is not a fair thing to say, but personally I think being a performing musical artist in any genre is a young persons game & it never looks right seeing old artists perform, I would rather then just listen at this point in their career.

My other gripe was the reworking of the existing songs of these artists, I think it might have been better to have split SWON's away from this totally. i.e. Just have the original backing tracks & then maybe a separate DVD included in the package which showcased the artists new material along with it ?

These are just my personal opinions & I'm not saying I'm right :lol:

Social source share

I can't remember if I ever posted this earlier in the thread or not. I started to look but gave up.

This was on a seven inch, got lots of play in the more open minded clubs, and I adore it.

Whether those who like punchier songs think it's too dated, or those who like only original 60s think it's too derivative, or those who write self-important columns for Manifesto think it's criminal to try to recapture that Northern Soul sound, or whatever, yada yada yada.

I couldn't give a flying fig when it comes to THIS song, that still makes my spine tingle.

If you don't like it, simply don't watch it. But don't come back to me offering suggestions as to how it should have been done, or what it might have sounded like if Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings had made it, or how irrelevant it is to today's record buyers, or how modern technology can't make a real record or whatever whatever whatever.

COS I BLOODY LOVE IT AS IT IS.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Repeating what i said on the other thread about SWON's.

I don't doubt your reasons for making it one bit ! but what my feelings were, & I say this because others may have felt similar & it may have had an effect on sales ?, that it sort of soiled (for want of a better word) the memories a bit.

This is no way a reflection on you, it was just a strange feeling seeing the artists as old people. I guess it was a bit like the situation where you read a book & then see a film, it sometimes never seems as good.

I suppose I had formed an image of what these artists looked like & the later reality was sort of a wake up call to my own aging & mortality. Bit garbled I know but do you sort of understand what I mean.

I know this is not a fair thing to say, but personally I think being a performing musical artist in any genre is a young persons game & it never looks right seeing old artists perform, I would rather then just listen at this point in their career.

My other gripe was the reworking of the existing songs of these artists, I think it might have been better to have split SWON's away from this totally. i.e. Just have the original backing tracks & then maybe a separate DVD included in the package which showcased the artists new material along with it ?

These are just my personal opinions & I'm not saying I'm right

The reason why every fibre of my being tells me that you are NOT right here, is that most of these artists never got to perform their Northern Soul classics for us. Many have died since it was filmed. All the rest are already ten years older. I don't think it could ever be done again. If you only wanted to see the artists when they were young, then many would have died without ever being seen at all.

Similarly, when I try to bring the Northern Soul sound to young artists, to capture the sound with people who look like the artists did back in the Sixties - Tammi Lavette, Vanessa Haynes, Tahira Jumah, Winston Ward, Verna Francis, Jennifer Dee, Shenton Dixon, Marvin Cotterell, Gerod Harris, then instead of appreciating what I'm doing, people block it and refuse to accept its credibility, even if I am trying to do what they secretly deep down inside would enjoy.

As a test, try to watch the Vanessa Haynes video above with a REALLY open mind, forget for a second when it was recorded, and, if you're all too quick to discriminate against a performance because the artist looks too old, then surely something like this would appeal to you MORE rather than LESS.

Social source share

The first few bars of that sound like something else. Somebody remind what, please.

Probably a cross between "A Case Of Love", "A Lil Lovin Sometimes", "Just Say You're wanted And Needed", and "The Slow Fizz"

Social source share

Quite possibly Gwen Owens "Wanted & Needed".

Paul

I already suggested that but if you put them together side by side you'll hear they're quite different. Just the same musical vibe, but not exactly the same.

Social source share

Do you live with your mum?

Social source share

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Yes, it's very similar to the Lomaxes who set out to record blues and folk singers in the US and elsewhere before they disappeared. I'm sure everyone's aware of this work, but just in case: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/lomax/

This doesn't mean that all Ian's recording are artistically satisfying for every listener; they certainly all are not for me. But to deny that they are not a very important and unique historical document is plain foolish.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Hello

This is a fair point which often comes up. I bought a copy for one artist and have also copied brief sections for others.

But to be fair to Ian, I understand he was only allowed so many complimentary copies by Wienerworld and, sadly, that wasn't nearly enough to supply 179 featured artists.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Ady is probably too tactful to point this out, but he was talking about our release on VHS tape some time years before the DVD release by Wienerworld. Each VHS package cost us a fortune - much more, ironically, than it would be now for the same number of DVDs which give better reproduction. We were all exhausted at the time from getting SWONS out but we could and should have supplied copies of their particular video for artists who asked. We did supply some, but others slipped through the net and that was wrong.

Neil

Social source share

:lol: and Tubby the Tuba !

Oh Ady, you're so so so witty.

I'm so so so so so sorry it's not the only known copy on Brut records, and worth at least two thousand quid.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

A bit like all those old people who go out to soul nights at weekends and dance round like headless chickens thinking they are still 17, you mean :lol::lol::D

Going to adopt a new stance in future at soul nights from now on, get myself a stool at the bar, G & T in hand and look amusingly down my nose at the young folks strutting there stuff...................trouble is if we all did this we would all be playing to empty dance floors..............I know I do anyway but I make up for it behind the decks doing headless chicken impressions, in fact when I am behind the decks I am usually the ONLY one dancing, just ask Steve G :yes::yes:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share