Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Its me again :D

Don't take this the wrong way but by putting the clips up in their entirety on UTube will this affect DVD sales, in the modern world of technology it's easy to store a web address than a DVD.

ian has answered this earlier somewhere he said that the vids on you tube are low compression or something like that so it would be like watching a very bad low resolution dvd? think thats what he said.

mark

Social source share

yes he did ian still see him occasionally have bumped into him at prestwich a few times one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet.

mark

No Mark, I meant Richard Searling, not Rick Cooper.

I seem to remember Richard worked at Global too.

Social source share

I wasn't trying to beat the Pied Piper production.

But Kapp became MCA which is now Universal, and that means using the original version is a complete no-go area for a multitude of reasons.

It was a case of re-record the track or don't use the song.

Even, as I have said, if we had raised a fortune to pay to use all the original versions, that would have only lasted three years. Ten years later we would, once again, have all this footage and no rights to use the music to go along with it.

Re-doing all the songs was the only possible way to do this whole project in the first place.

Yes - but some of the vocals are so obviously mimed to by the artists - was it only the backing tracks that you had to re-record? I suspect that elements of the original backing tracks may have been used also.

Social source share

Its me again

Don't take this the wrong way but by putting the clips up in their entirety on UTube will this affect DVD sales, in the modern world of technology it's easy to store a web address than a DVD.

Nonsense.

The picture on YouTube is fuzzy and pixillated and pretty damned awful.

The sound is compressed to filth and leaps up and down all over the place.

And you can't download off YouTube unless you're a computer hacker anyway.

The videos on YouTube are far far FAR worse than VHS quality. They serve as teasers for the beautiful crisp clear sharp clean perfect quality DVDs that we are releasing, and there is simply no comparison. It's like comparing The Javells to Alexander Patton. Like eating Spam instead of filet mignon. Like eating tinned sardines instead of a fresh lobster in drawn butter.

I don't mind poor quality videos being seen on YouTube because it makes people want the better copies all the more. People want to see them looking sharp and clear and beautiful. Otherwise why would people bother buying any DVDs at all of any kind of program ???

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Yes - but some of the vocals are so obviously mimed to by the artists - was it only the backing tracks that you had to re-record? I suspect that elements of the original backing tracks may have been used also.

No no no.

We recorded their vocals first, with them wearing headphones and singing along, while the mike captured the new vocal, which usually had lots of stops and starts. Then, with the cameras rolling, they mimed to the original record, then we made a new record out of their newly recorded vocals once we got thevocals back in England, and tried to synch the miming in with the new version. It isn't always quite as tight as we might have wished, but overall it works.

There are no elements of the originals left on our versions once they are finished.

Social source share

Well, I am taking the DVD box set to Philly with me today! It is in the suitcase and something I treasure. I just hope it plays on their TV system.

Bobby Eli is interviewed on it.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

No no no.

We recorded their vocals first, with them wearing headphones and singing along, while the mike captured the new vocal, which usually had lots of stops and starts. Then, with the cameras rolling, they mimed to the original record, then we made a new record out of their newly recorded vocals once we got thevocals back in England, and tried to synch the miming in with the new version. It isn't always quite as tight as we might have wished, but overall it works.

There are no elements of the originals left on our versions once they are finished.

No time code facility???? :D

Social source share

No time code facility????

Hardly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You try running round 28 different cities in America armed with only a pair of headphones, a portable recorder, a microphone, and a couple of video cameras and tripods.

The artists sang over the original versions with headphones, so we could get the vocal accapella through our mike, then mimed to the record, then marry the two together by sheer human skill.

In some cases the vocals were indistinguishable from the originals. In other cases (Bobby Sheen, Bobby Paris) the artist had clearly lost something with the passage of time, but we did the best we could.

Brenda Holloway, Leon Haywood, Frank Wilson, Dobie Gray, The Artistics, Erma Franklin, Doris Troy, Bobby Hebb, simply so close to the original it was amazing.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

If I had said we would limit it to 100, he would not have been filmed. But he was dying and it meant everything to perform for a DVD before he succumbed to cancer.

Isn't that why I did it ??????? I am no Saint, I grant you, and have had more than my share of criticism, but whatever they say about me, I KNOW this one time I did something GOOD.

Absolutely. And I give you the utmost respect for that. For people who had the honour to meet and spend time with Freddy Scott a couple of years ago it must be have been poignant to have realised, as I did, that he wasn't going to be around much longer, therefore we hung on his every word and cherished every note he sang. A great memory and one I wouldn't trade for all the copies of Frank Wilson in the world. His jubilation at simply being recognised as contributor to the legacy of black music was overwhelming. Not just for him...but for us also. I realise that NS for many is simply a night out dancing to great records (and there's nothing wrong with that at all), but the efforts involved in SWONS were monumental and could only have been accomplished by people who's motives were to get the artists and their performances out there before it was to late. I really wish it had made everyone involved a pot of money, as it would probably have inspired others to try to continue the theme.

Social source share

Absolutely. And I give you the utmost respect for that. For people who had the honour to meet and spend time with Freddy Scott a couple of years ago it must be have been poignant to have realised, as I did, that he wasn't going to be around much longer, therefore we hung on his every word and cherished every note he sang. A great memory and one I wouldn't trade for all the copies of Frank Wilson in the world. His jubilation at simply being recognised as contributor to the legacy of black music was overwhelming. Not just for him...but for us also. I realise that NS for many is simply a night out dancing to great records (and there's nothing wrong with that at all), but the efforts involved in SWONS were monumental and could only have been accomplished by people who's motives were to get the artists and their performances out there before it was to late. I really wish it had made everyone involved a pot of money, as it would probably have inspired others to try to continue the theme.

I'm still sad that Al Wilson fell through.

He was all set to do it, and my guy was on his way over to film him, in February 1999 in Los Angeles, when some vile shark of a manger phoned up and said he wanted five thousand dollars before he'd allow Al do it, even though Al wanted to. Now he's dead and there is no video of "The Snake" to remember him by.

Social source share

.............It's like comparing The Javells to Alexander Patton. Like eating Spam instead of filet mignon. Like eating tinned sardines instead of a fresh lobster in drawn butter....................

Or like comparing Netto's 99p chicken curry to a Raj Douth no 21 with 38 :D

What's that filet minging like Ian ?

Social source share

For people who had the honour to meet and spend time with Freddy Scott a couple of years ago it must be have been poignant to have realised, as I did, that he wasn't going to be around much longer, therefore we hung on his every word and cherished every note he sang.

I would love to have seen him sing "Hey Girl".

Where was this ???

Social source share

No, you don't. That would defeat the entire point of a multi-region DVD-player - that you don't have to change your TV set. The DVD transforms the signal from PAL to NTSC and sends a pure NTSC signal to the NTSC TV.

Sorry to differ but I have seen people try this on certain TV sets and can never get any colour in the pic, and the black and white judders unstably. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Social source share

No no no.

The only reason I question this is for a long time someting has been puzzling me.

I have an original 7 inch of Deon Jackson "That's What You Do To Me" & I can remember at a certain point in the record there is a high pitch noise which sounds like microphone feedback.

If you listen to the recording you did at (YouTube) 1 minute 53 seconds this noise is also there.

There is also a You Tube of TWYDTM which is the original recording posted up by someone else & guess what happens 1 minute 53 seconds into the recording?

Either you have gone the extra mile to re-create that authentic sound or your answer to my question isn't totally honest or you have another explanation.

Social source share

Sorry to differ but I have seen people try this on certain TV sets and can never get any colour in the pic, and the black and white judders unstably. I have seen it with my own eyes.

We obviously have different experiences so I guess neither of us should take our personal experiences as gospel then. :g:

Social source share

The only reason I question this is for a long time someting has been puzzling me.

I have an original 7 inch of Deon Jackson "That's What You Do To Me" & I can remember at a certain point in the record there is a high pitch noise which sounds like microphone feedback.

If you listen to the recording you did at (YouTube) 1 minute 53 seconds this noise is also there.

There is also a You Tube of TWYDTM which is the original recording posted up by someone else & guess what happens 1 minute 53 seconds into the recording?

Either you have gone the extra mile to re-create that authentic sound or your answer to my question isn't totally honest or you have another explanation.

It doesn't make sense and I have no explanation, unless with him singing along with the old record the mike somehow picked it up. Otherwise I have no idea. We run the originals along as reference while making the new versions, a bit like painting by numbers but that's just freaky.

Social source share

Because they do, and because Northern Soul is bigger than your own sphere of existence, and others do see the connection even if you and your friends don't.

Now read the following very carefully and try to be objective about what I'm saying here....

The reason I used the term fascist so long ago, is because a person who can't see the connection of something, and therefore declares that to be the way it is, whether others see that connection or not, in other words a person who imposes their will on everyone else because they don't see any validity in the way the others think, or worse, want to stamp the other way out, becomes, whether intentionally or not, the epitome of what we define as a fascist.

Now this is on a very small scale I grant you, and fairly innocent, but left unchecked it leads to bigotry, censorship, and results in burning of books because they challenge the approved way of thought.

In context now, you don't think my productions are Northern Soul. Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion. Therefore you should be saying "I personally don't see them as Northern Soul". That is the comment of the reasonable person who disagrees.

But to state categorically that I think for some reason they are Northern Soul when they're not, is to take on the fascist umbrella and put yourself across as the arbiter of everyone else's taste, including those people who go to Kev Roberts' do's or Sean Chapmans, or Hitsville Chalkys, who hear my records ina setting which they believe to be Northern Soul. Do you honestly have the right to tell them that these gigs are NOT Northern Soul because they don't conform you your personal definition of what Northern Soul should constitute ???

THEY ARE NORTHERN SOUL ! ........... SIDNEY BARNES , CHUCK JACKSON STILL CAN BE HEARD AT NORTHERN VENUES , ONLY LAST WEEK I HAD 3 REQUEST'S FOR SIDNEY BARNES WHEN I WAS DJING ,

ALSO BEEN SPINNING DAVID RUFFIN " HURT THE ONE YOU LOVE " I WISH I HAD A POUND EVERYTIME SOME ONE COME AND ASK ME ABOUT THE TRACK AND LOOKED AT MY 45 AND ASKED WHERE THEY COULD GET A COPY ................ SO REALLY IAN IS STILL PRODUCING AND I'M SURE HE WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO ON THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENE .

Social source share

And what is so terrible about that ??

Nothing wrong with the looking gay bit :lol:

or trying to look like a record producer :wave:

but I do look a right fat c**t :)

and that hurt me

You fooker Bouge sad.gif

:lol::g:

Edited by moggy
Social source share

Hi all,

Just back from wilton train journey from hell ! caought with all the posts since yesterday,thanks for answering my questions Ian and when i have had a sleep and returned from a soul night in Edinburgh I will let you know if i think you have answered my questions in the spirit they were asked.

Roddy

Social source share

THEY ARE NORTHERN SOUL ! ........... SIDNEY BARNES , CHUCK JACKSON STILL CAN BE HEARD AT NORTHERN VENUES , ONLY LAST WEEK I HAD 3 REQUEST'S FOR SIDNEY BARNES WHEN I WAS DJING ,

ALSO BEEN SPINNING DAVID RUFFIN " HURT THE ONE YOU LOVE " I WISH I HAD A POUND EVERYTIME SOME ONE COME AND ASK ME ABOUT THE TRACK AND LOOKED AT MY 45 AND ASKED WHERE THEY COULD GET A COPY ................ SO REALLY IAN IS STILL PRODUCING AND I'M SURE HE WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO ON THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENE .

Thankyou so much Chalky.

You DJ in the Midlands on the Northern Soul scene.

You play some of my records.

They sound like Northern Soul.

Bit of a no-brainer, isn't it, whatever they may do or try to say otherwise.

Social source share

Stars was one of the first records I heard on the NS scene and it still sounds as good today as it did 20 years ago. She is a wonderful talent - Ask the Lonely sends shivers down my spine...to quote Paul Havakin from the Greatstone Soul Club "Absolutely Superb!!" :D

(Talk about stating the obvious...lol) :lol:

Edited by Reg
Social source share

I would love to have seen him sing "Hey Girl".

Where was this ???

In NJ on SoulTrip New York. The trips are a goldmine of memories for some of us. I know Kev Robert's has lots of detractors and I'm sure there are some things he's done that he'd rather he hadn't (same as all of us I suspect), but his obvious enjoyment as far as the artists and their 'coming out of the woodwork' is concerned is the equal of anyone's I'd venture, and it's that experience that we go for. Sure, the music is a little predictable, sometimes the admin is skewiff, the record dealers charge UK prices, but.......having Archie Bell point out Melvin Steals!!! Priceless! Sitting with Norman Donegan, chatting to him about the life and times of Otis Blackwell, then taping him singing "Think Of Me" of which he was stunned that we even knew the song. Priceless! Being introduced to Kae Williams Jnr and seeing the delight on his face as we talked about his father...Priceless! Singing all their classics acapella with Ceasar of the Tymes on a street corner in Philly....Priceless! Playing The Unifics songs on soulclub.org whilst sat next to Al Johnson at the reception desk, (He had no idea we knew who he was), ...PRICELESS!

One of the greatest memories I have of my time on the "Soul Scene" was taping the sound check/rehearsal of the Del Larks in the afternoon before their performance. Now, I've had some luverly 45s over the years and still have quite a few ( :lol: ), but nothing and I mean NOTHING has given me more pleasure than watching Sammy Campbell weave his magic that afternoon. Absolutely priceless! And best of all, this is an experience shared with a group of L...o...n...g time friends/collectors who all feel the same. You should come with us next time Ian. I'm sure Simon W will be there. Bring Gavin, he and I will look after you! :):D

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

You try running round 28 different cities in America armed with only a pair of headphones, a portable recorder, a microphone, and a couple of video cameras and tripods.

The artists sang over the original versions with headphones, so we could get the vocal accapella through our mike, then mimed to the record, then marry the two together by sheer human skill.

In some cases the vocals were indistinguishable from the originals. In other cases (Bobby Sheen, Bobby Paris) the artist had clearly lost something with the passage of time, but we did the best we could.

Brenda Holloway, Leon Haywood, Frank Wilson, Dobie Gray, The Artistics, Erma Franklin, Doris Troy, Bobby Hebb, simply so close to the original it was amazing.

IF you do something like this again I can give you the name of some kit that uses time code on both recorder & camera. These can be hired for not a lot of cash. Just a suggestion NOT having a go at you. Concidering the equipment you had the vids are good.

Social source share

Hello

Did you know Kae Wiliams Jr passed away recently?

Paul Mooney

Sadly yes, a couple of months ago. That was exactly the point of my posts on this thread. I am absolutely delighted to report that Kae Williams Jr (himself a musician/producer of some note in Philly) had at least the knowledge that his father (A local DJ/record producer and label owner) was held in extremely high regard by group of fans a world away. I met him, enjoyed his company and, like a few others, treasure the memory.

Social source share

I am still taking this post in. That is incredible. Time,effort and patience second to none. i can't even begin to imagine what it must have felt like listening to Brenda Holloway, Leon haywood etc and they sounded virtually the same as original. The Artistics --ooh one of my all time favourites----absolutely mind blowing.

An outstanding job of work Ian---be proud

Social source share

Sadly yes, a couple of months ago. That was exactly the point of my posts on this thread. I am absolutely delighted to report that Kae Williams Jr (himself a musician/producer of some note in Philly) had at least the knowledge that his father (A local DJ/record producer and label owner) was held in extremely high regard by group of fans a world away. I met him, enjoyed his company and, like a few others, treasure the memory.

Hello Dave,

Kae had been working on a new album project for Grapevine's Soul Junction label. It wasn't quite finished but Grapevine came to an end anyway. It just needed a final mixdown.

I wonder if it will ever be issued?

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Hello Dave,

Kae had been working on a new album project for Grapevine's Soul Junction label. It wasn't quite finished but Grapevine came to an end anyway. It just needed a final mixdown.

I wonder if it will ever be issued?

Best regards,

Paul

I sincerely hope so. Mike Terry's son is also gaining a foothold in the business and Terry Jones is a becoming more and more well know. It must be in the genes!

Social source share

I am still taking this post in. That is incredible. Time,effort and patience second to none. i can't even begin to imagine what it must have felt like listening to Brenda Holloway, Leon haywood etc and they sounded virtually the same as original. The Artistics --ooh one of my all time favourites----absolutely mind blowing.

An outstanding job of work Ian---be proud

Thankyou, and I am, even when attacked.

But this time, after ten years, i think it will be much harder for anyone to criticise, unless they're just doing so wilfully, blindly, and out of spite. Not after the enormous amount of work that's gone into improving them all.

Social source share

Sorry,

I meant in a songwriting/production capacity. Did you ever collaborate on any songs with him? I think you and him would make a good team, his 'ears' are some of the best in the business over two decades imo.

I got on great with him, and you're quite right - we should work together. I still think the songs I wrote with Sylvia Moy are some of the best of my career.

Without digging it out, what was it he sang accapella on SWONS ?? I actually can't remember what it was. Was it "What Would I Do" by The Tymes ???

Social source share

just so aware

looking at closing this thread down shortly

this is due to the size of it and the follow on problems that this can cause

ask the starting member to start a new one and then close this one

recommend that when starting new one that post a link in the first post to this one

the last page of posts in old one will be moved when started up

ask that in future that

off topic posts - if needed start new threads for discussion about off topic (ie non soul related ) items in the relevant forums

if do get to much off topic posts they may be moved or removed

moderation - please use feedback for discussion of all such matters

members actions

action has and will continue to be taken against members who do not follow the terms of use/house rules

if wish to discuss members past site actions with other members - then do it via pms not on the site

personal attacks, disruptive posts, repeated posts are all covered in the forum terms of use/house rules

if not aware then please read at link below

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forum-house-rules

as it says by using this site you are agreeing to follow these

thanks

mike

Social source share

We continue here.

This is the link to Part One

Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Ian-Lev...&start=2950

Which I do hope will be kept available to read.

We end the last thread with 2,984 posts on it, and 85,633 views.

I would be very interested to find out if other Soul Source threads had ever reached that number, and if so in how much time ??

I wonder if we broke any records.

Social source share

Think you have to close the old one Ian-not entirely sure though, Mike will confirm.

You can still view the old thread when it's closed

I am looking but I can't work out how to do that.

Do you know what I have to do ???

Social source share