Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

The Charades "Key To My Happiness".

Lada Edmund Jr. - "The Larue".

Vessie Simmons - "Make It On My Own"

If you had not stated this Ian , I would have been very disapointed .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Around £20-30 I'd say Ian. "Better to Bend Than Break" goes for a bit more at around £60-70 but is a lesser record imo.

Fabulous artist, fabulous record.

John

Clearly quality has no bearing on value.

Social source share

On Monday 3rd November, we're going to be doing a launch party in London for the Northern Soul DVD Set.

Most likely at the Ion Bar in Ladbroke Grove.

Hope to have The Flirtations, Jimmy Thomas, Jimmy James and the fabulous Spanner appearing, plus a couple of surprises.

It will be a free party but by invitation only.

Anyone who wants to come, contact me nearer the time and I will make sure you're on the guest list.

Our last three launch parties were just wonderful. Ask Ian Dewhirst or Mike Ritson.

Social source share

Why are you such a tw*t?

why the agression. imbers feeling lonely. its soul source not the ian levine show.seems half.has there head in his lap so to speak..and the other half is voting him off [big brother style]which camp are you in [ecscuse the pun] by the way ian loved the highland room in the early seventies[note i didnt call it the mecca]

Social source share

After Mike Hughes' warning, I am paranoid about us going off topic.

Ian

wasnt a warning

was pointing out that the thread was getting off topic heavy

for obvious reasons do have to watch such

nothing wrong with odd joke, odd one liner etc etc

question of balance

if members do want to have a bit of extended banter , few jokes, talk about non-soul related stuff etc etc

then its best to start or join in a thread in freebasing

Social source share

Just chatting with Junior Giscombe, and he was telling me how much he still loves the song that we wrote together for J.J. Barnes, called "On Top Of The World".

Listening to it again, I honestly don't think J.J. EVER sang better. He was just on top form and in top voice when he vocalled this wonderful joyous song.

Listening to it again now, I just got that old sensation of the hairs prickling on the back of my neck.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

That's an astonishing vocal from Jerry Williams. The man can evidently still cut it, & I love that 'leg banging' at the piano too.

Yes, he recorded a totally new vocal, at his house in Los Angeles, which, to my ears, sounds as fresh as the one he did in 1967.

Social source share

ian,do u listen to any other music outside of the soul spectrum ?see me i love me rare soul with an absolute passion but listen to other stuff not connected to soul as well, be interested to know mate

Not really.

Always had fairly narrow musical taste. My favourite non-soul records (Bread, Chicago, Maroon Five, Alessi, Young Rascals, Classics IV) all tend to be blue-eyed soul with the same types of melody.

Social source share

Absolutely brilliant J J at his very best, his voice is awesome, was this ever on a 7" Ian???????????.

Regards

Alan

It was indeed Alan.

It was on Achievement Records.

Coupled with "Talk Of The Grapevine".

My biggest worry nowadays is that some of my best work, (Nat Augustin, Fay Jones, The Concentrations, Marvin Cotterell, Jennifer Dee) has not been on seven inch, only on CD, and therefore is being ignored by many people who would actually be happy to play it if it was on vinyl.

The last three sevens we cut, Angelo Starr, Vanessa Haynes, and Gerod Harris, although having some support, sold nothing and lost a crippling fortune. As Lillian Kyle (Edwin Starr's manager) financed the pressings, she lost a fortune on them, and we're all scared of doing any others. You can't press one seven inch without spending nearly a grand (of course you can press five hundred for a grand, but any less is still a grand), No doubt, like the Sidney Barnes, they'll all take off in six years time and sell for twenty quid each.

In the meantime, I bitterly regret Nat Augustin not being on a seven inch, and simply can't afford to press it. Anyone wanna volunteer ???

Social source share

Alessi

Ian, didn't Alessi record as Barnaby Bye 'can't live this way'. ?

Regards

Alan

Top of the class.

They did indeed.

Both Les Cokell and I used to adore "Oh Lori".

Social source share

It was indeed Alan.

It was on Achievement Records.

Coupled with "Talk Of The Grapevine".

My biggest worry nowadays is that some of my best work, (Nat Augustin, Fay Jones, The Concentrations, Marvin Cotterell, Jennifer Dee) has not been on seven inch, only on CD, and therefore is being ignored by many people who would actually be happy to play it if it was on vinyl.

The last three sevens we cut, Angelo Starr, Vanessa Haynes, and Gerod Harris, although having some support, sold nothing and lost a crippling fortune. As Lillian Kyle (Edwin Starr's manager) financed the pressings, she lost a fortune on them, and we're all scared of doing any others. You can't press one seven inch without spending nearly a grand (of course you can press five hundred for a grand, but any less is still a grand), No doubt, like the Sidney Barnes, they'll all take off in six years time and sell for twenty quid each.

In the meantime, I bitterly regret Nat Augustin not being on a seven inch, and simply can't afford to press it. Anyone wanna volunteer ???

Ian,

Is that the one where the backing/intro is same/similar to Johnny Wyatt - this thing called love? (talk of the grapevine)

Have that somewhere signed by JJ ,

Pete Eccles

Edited by pete60
Social source share

Ian,

Is that the one where the backing/intro is same/similar to Johnny Wyatt - this thing called love? (talk of the grapevine)

Have that somewhere signed by JJ ,

Pete Eccles

I would take issue with the backing track being the same, but yes that's the one.

Social source share

Just been listening to those Raphael Saadiq songs on another thread, and I could just cry with despair.

All that brilliant live music.

All those strings.

All those wonderful vocals.

AND NO-ONE SEEMS TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE CHORDS.

What a criminal waste.

Every bleedin' song stays on the same set of chords. No changes, no upflifts, no great tugging at your emotions. They all go NOWHERE.

NO SONGS.

Great vocals but no songs.

Just imagine if he'd sung this....

">
Social source share

I'm glad you said Lovely Rose Battiste .

i'd have preferred me memories on this. In fact you've ruined them. Rose can obviously still sing, but the 'surround' is naff. .

Social source share

i'd have preferred me memories on this. In fact you've ruined them. Rose can obviously still sing, but the 'surround' is naff. .

but it is impossible to get everything exactly right as mr levine has already explained, they can only do their best.

Social source share

Kinel malk! Every one knows that at the bottom of their feet and at the end of their antennas they have chemoreceptors that allow them to smell. :)

Its a good job they don't have sweaty feet then :lol:

Social source share

You know, dancing is a part of life.

It's one of the thrills of young America.

And young America has been responsible for starting most of the world's dance crazes.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

but it is impossible to get everything exactly right as mr levine has already explained, they can only do their best.

Mr? He's not god. God actually delivers letters in Shepshed Charterhouse. :lol:

Social source share

It's alright Gogs.

He's most clearly not a fan.

My work is wasted on him.

Social source share

I don't see anybody else having rushed to have filmed her over the last forty years. Do you ???

Social source share

Thanks Ian,

I really enjoyed watching that.

Where was it at?

Paul Mooney

Partly at Entourage Studios, in Kensal Rise, in early 2002, and partly at Togetherness in Fleetwood in October 2002.

Social source share

Top of the class.

They did indeed.

Both Les Cokell and I used to adore "Oh Lori".

Tonight , Billy and Bobby Alessi are going to be ........ Barnaby Bye !

I am with you on this one Ian - " Oh Lori " is a well crafted , articulate blue - eyed soul recording , which never dates .........

Malc Burton

post-5097-1221197985_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

Just been listening to those Raphael Saadiq songs on another thread, and I could just cry with despair.

All that brilliant live music.

All those strings.

All those wonderful vocals.

AND NO-ONE SEEMS TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE CHORDS.

What a criminal waste.

Every bleedin' song stays on the same set of chords. No changes, no upflifts, no great tugging at your emotions. They all go NOWHERE.

NO SONGS.

Great vocals but no songs.

Just imagine if he'd sung this....

">

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The Torchwood film crew are filming outside our office today.

Last time they were in the Port, a drug deal went wrong and an almighty bust up happened. I'm surprised they came back.

The fella next to me is a sci fi nut. I think he is going to explode with excitement.

Ian, are you going to be there? I can pop over and you can shake me by the throat ;-)

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share