Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

truely a quailty record in its original format, you have made a pigs ear out of a silk purse well done

Where are all the decent soul fans on here today ????

The standard of this thread has sadly tumbled, temporarily.

I pray for a return to the wit and beauty of the last few days, and the disappearance of the trolls.

Social source share

I think a lot of the big acts these days have forgotten to write full stop - they just loop a sample much of the time.

EG you mentioned MJB - her biggie from not so long back "Hate It Or Love It" borrowes its backing track (tho' admittedly speeded up and enhanced) from The Trammps "Rubber Band". I imagine they can probably get away with this as they're with the label that owns the rights to the original anyway?

And Raphael Saadiq has great musicians playing the same chord sequence over and over, with ZERO songs, and is the most criminal waste of money in the entire history of Soul Music.

Social source share

truely a quailty record in its original format, you have made a pigs ear out of a silk purse well done

Please don't buy "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers".

You certainly don't deserve to own it.

It was NOT for the likes of you that I personally went sixty four thousand pounds out of pocket, putting it together. If the rest of Souldom were like you, I would wish I had never bothered.

But thankfully you are in a tiny tiny minority.

Social source share

I think a lot of the big acts these days have forgotten to write full stop - they just loop a sample much of the time.

EG you mentioned MJB - her biggie from not so long back "Hate It Or Love It" borrowes its backing track (tho' admittedly speeded up and enhanced) from The Trammps "Rubber Band". I imagine they can probably get away with this as they're with the label that owns the rights to the original anyway?

Errr. Not quite. Mary J. Blige is signed to the Universal stable and "Rubber Band" - The Trammps is now owned by Sony-BMG.........

Actually whilst we're on this subject does anyone know what sample the GREAT Robin Thicke record which is currently out uses?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Ian, i've lost track of the thread (may have been in part one ?), but you said you played again with Colin Curtis back in Manchester in the early 80's, was this the Ric -Tic Revue at the Ritz ?. I remember going it was a dayer on a Sunday, i always regretted not getting some records i bought getting signed by the artists.

Social source share

Please don't buy "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers".

You certainly don't deserve to own it.

It was NOT for the likes of you that I personally went sixty four thousand pounds out of pocket, putting it together. If the rest of Souldom were like you, I would wish I had never bothered.

But thankfully you are in a tiny tiny minority.

I'll buy one when I get back on track from start of new school term financial meltdown :lol:

Social source share

Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

Phucking BRILLIANT.

I have a group hug smiley

post-1870-1221330776.gif

post-1870-1221330798.gif

Social source share

Edited by site, please read the forum rules.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forum-house-rules

We reserve the right to moderate posts which

* Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others

* Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable

* Contain swear words or other language likely to offend

Respect other members

Do not insult or personally attack another member.

You do not have the right to attack someone for having an opinion other than your own.

If someone disagrees with you, they're entitled to provided they do it respectfully

Social source share

Ian D.- probably don't have this right but every time I hear the Robin Thicke record I think of "Move On Up" .

Yes it copies "Move On Up" but it doesn't actually sample it.

At least not on the mix that I've heard.

Paul

Social source share

Ian, i've lost track of the thread (may have been in part one ?), but you said you played again with Colin Curtis back in Manchester in the early 80's, was this the Ric -Tic Revue at the Ritz ?. I remember going it was a dayer on a Sunday, i always regretted not getting some records i bought getting signed by the artists.

No it was an allnighter in Manchester.

J.J. Barnes sang live.

DJs were me, Colin Curtis, Tony Jebb, Richard Searling, Kev Roberts, and Les Cokell.

A Big one-off reunion of all of us.

Social source share

Hello,

Are the following available on 7"?

Lost - Barbara Randolph

Don't Wait around - Elgins

A Case Of Too Much Lovemaking - Kim Weston

Thanks,

Back to music, after dealing with nauseating bigots.

Thankyou, Pauline, for reminding me there are decent people still on here.

"Lost" has never been on a seven inch.

I believe Neil Rushton once did a white label of "A Case Of Too Much Lovemaking", and I believe Kev Roberts did the same for "Don't Wait around", but I have never seen a copy of either, but was told they existed.

Social source share

I believe Neil Rushton once did a white label of "A Case Of Too Much Lovemaking", and I believe Kev Roberts did the same for "Don't Wait around", but I have never seen a copy of either, but was told they existed.

Thanks for the reply, always like those.

By the way, try not to let them get to you. They are forgetting that it is themselves who are making a fool of. A lot of people will remember that, and in the long run will be detrimental to themselves.

P :lol:

Social source share

I do sincerely hope, Rachel, that doesn't include me.

I am defending my rights, as a proud gay man, against unconscionable bigotry here, and as such I trust that you will respect my anger.

Just as if someone criticises me for being Jewish.

Or calls a black person the "n" word.

We should stamp out such disgraceful behaviour and it has no place on Soul Source, and you simply must not penalise me for speaking out against an injustice and abuse.

I can see why some of the comments would upset you, yes. And I know it's human nature to respond.. BUT would prefer that you simply report them and not reply to them, as asked before - it's much easier for moderators to delete one post if it breaks the rules, than have to pick their way through an ongoing slagging match. As also said before, any comments/ questions about moderation should really be in Feedback not on the actual thread.

God, I sound like a stuck record sometimes :lol:

Social source share

Topic re-opened. Action has been taken against members accounts as felt necessary and posts deleted.

Can I remind everyone again..

- if you want to talk about something other than music/ soul scene related subjects, do it in Freebasing.

- if you want to comment on moderation/ site matters, do it in Feedback.

- if you feel that a post is offensive or breaks forum rules in some way, please do not respond to it, report it and moderators will deal with it as appropriate. If you really feel that you can't let it go without comment, then an 'I have reported X's post' (if you want) would make life a lot easier than us than having to trawl through arguments and delete posts which quote offending posts!

- please be patient if issues aren't dealt with immediately - contrary to popular opinion the moderators do not spend 24 hours a day in front of their computers :lol:

Social source share

The Elgin's 45 is the slower mix , No where as good as the cd or video track

Social source share

LOOK WHAT SIMON WHITE HAS JUST EMAILED ME BECAUSE I'VE BEEN READING THIS THREAD:

Enjoying the Ian Levine thread are you? I bet you are, it matches your

snideness.

These cunts make you look like a fucking innocent saint. Which makes

them BIG cunts.

A nice bloke with a heart of gold, Ian?

Roger

Sadly, Simon and you will never get on, Roger.

He has been a good and loyal friend to me, and it's not fair to throw this in my face.

I love my friends dearly, and I regret that he is not on Soul Source. But that is something beyond my control.

Simon is having a difficult time and doing a lot of soul searching at the moment, and I feel for his pain.

I myself have been terribly hurt and wounded by stuff that appeared on this site tonight - stuff I never thought I would have to witness in the year 2008 - and I have a new found admiration for the way the Mods have dealt with it all.

They have acted with both class and style, and I thank them for it.

But damage was most certainly done before they had chance to step in.

If Simon read any of what was on here earlier on, then I imagine, knowing him as I do, that he was even angrier about the bigotry than I was myself.

Anyway.....

Maybe one day I can try to patch things up between Simon and yourself. But that time is not now. Not today.

He is my loyal friend and I love him to bits and I beg you please not to say anything negative about him to me.

Thankyou.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

The Elgin's 45 is the slower mix , No where as good as the cd or video track

I totally agree.

I also think the slower mix isn't a patch on the faster one.

Kev Roberts disagrees, and that's why he put out the slower mix, although I have never seen a copy to this day.

It would be a funny old world if we all agreed on everything, wouldn't it Chalky ????

Social source share

LOOK WHAT SIMON WHITE HAS JUST EMAILED ME BECAUSE I'VE BEEN READING THIS THREAD:

Enjoying the Ian Levine thread are you? I bet you are, it matches your

snideness.

These cunts make you look like a fucking innocent saint. Which makes

them BIG cunts.

A nice bloke with a heart of gold, Ian?

Roger

Roger

I do also think it is very indiscreet of you to reproduce a message which Simon sent to you by personal e-mail here on this thread.

Even if it upsets you, it was, by the sound of it, private and personal, and not for public consumption.

If I reproduced every private e-mail I get on here, the world would be in an uproar. For a start I can be MUCH ruder by private e-mail.

Social source share

Sadly, Simon and you will never get on, Roger.

He has been a good and loyal friend to me, and it's not fair to throw this in my face.

I love my friends dearly, and I regret that he is not on Soul Source. But that is something beyond my control.

Simon is having a difficult time and doing a lot of soul searching at the moment, and I feel for his pain.

I myself have been terribly hurt and wounded by stuff that appeared on this site tonight - stuff I never thought I would have to witness in the year 2008 - and I have a new found admiration for the way the Mods have dealt with it all.

If Simon read any of what was on here earlier on, then I imagine, knowing him as I do, that he was eevn angrier about the bigotry than I was myself.

Anyway.....

Maybe one day I can try to patch things up between Simon and yourself. But that time is not now. Not today.

He is my loyal friend and I love him to bits and I beg you please not to say anything negative about him to me.

Thankyou.

Ian, i have stayed off the Ian Levine re-issue thread (or part 2) for obvious reasons, one of them being that I am also going through some bad times at the moment and know what I am going through does not give me any excuse to lash out at other people but could make me a little more firey than normal, so whatever Simon is going through it is no excuse to email and threaten/slag people whether he is a dear friend or not.

It seems to me that these so called dear friends that are off site contacting and threatening and slagging off soul source members are doing you and your work more harm than good..............just my opinion of course.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Ian, i have stayed off the Ian Levine re-issue thread (or part 2) for obvious reasons, one of them being that I am also going through some bad times at the moment and know what I am going through does not give me any excuse to lash out at other people but could make me a little more firey than normal, so whatever Simon is going through it is no excuse to email and threaten/slag people whether he is a dear friend or not.

It seems to me that these so called dear friends that are off site contacting and threatening and slaging off soul source members are doing you and your work more harm than good..............just my opinion of course.

QoFxx

There is a saying, Chrissie, a famous saying.

"I am not my brother's keeper".

I am not responsible for anything Simon says or does and haven't spoken to him for several days.

He has quit ANS and won't DJ for me on 3rd November at my launch party. He didn't show up to DJ at the Essex Weekender last weekend.

Simon is fifty years old and a law unto himslef. No-one can make him do anything, and woe betide anyone who ever tries.

It is utterly outrageous to hold me in any way responsible for anything he says or does.

If Simon and Gavin are my friends, it's becasue we like each other. They don't work for me and they have strong willed minds of their own, and don't consult me before sending e-mails to people.

If they indeed do me more harm than good, that is up to them. My thoughts have no bearing on their actions and it's most unfair of you to expect me to control my friends. What sort of friend would I be to ANYONE if I tried to curb their actions or tell them what to do.

Both Simon and Gavin are banned from Soul Source.

If they contact anyone by e-mail, anyone at all, then I can't stop them and it's nothing to do with me, and I want to be sure you have that fact clear in your head, please.

THEY ARE GROWN MEN.

THEY ARE NOT MY PUPPETS.

THEY ARE NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY.

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

They have forgotten how to write chords that uplift.

It all stays the same, the same four bar sequence for the verse, bridge and chorus. It's just sad.

Listen and compare Mary J. Blige or Brian McKnight to classics like "What's Going On" or "Lets Stay Together" and you'll see what I mean.

Yet Maroon Five can write great chords that uplift, (listen to "Sunday Morning"), but black music doesn't, and the song structures on Raphael Saadiq are just pitiful and non-existent.

Then listen to what Carl Dixon did. I wasn't a supporter at first, till I heard those chords on the bridge of his Spyder Turner song, "Tell Me". The chords that I assume either Dennis Coffey or Clay McMurray put in, the ones in bars four and eight of the verse, which lift his whole song - "(1) I'm crying / (2) because you /(3) let me go" /(4)GREAT CHORD.

The difference with Carl and me is that I would have used that chord as a feature, maybe with either a "doo doo doo dooop" or writing the melody to utilise the notes in that chord rather than bypass it and leave that bar instrumental, thereby wasting the one chord that lifts the song up. But it just gave me goosebumps, and sounded like what I would do myself, and what a great 1960s classic soul song would do, and what Raphael Saadiq wouldn't have a bleedin' CLUE how to do.

So because it is not your style of music and does not "move" you in the way that gives you goosebumps does that make it invalid and subject to ridicule?

The artists associated with current "Black American" music are well respected and work hard at their craft and for someone to come along and say their work is sad, badly written, not music etc etc is I am sure extremely hurtfull.

The music that Mary J sings will be classics in their time "More than I can say" No more drama" Brian McKnight "One Last Cry", "Back at One" will be played as often as Al Green for the generation that appreciates them.

We all have different ears for music (did you know that ears are like fingerprints, they are indivdual to our gentic make up) to rob one group of their work because we don't personally like it is deplorable.

Edited by Mark Holmes
Social source share

So because it is not your style of music and does not "move" you in the way that gives you goosebumps does that make it invalid and subject to ridicule?

The artists associated with current "Black American" music are well respected and work hard at their craft and for someone to come along and say their work is sad, badly written, not music etc etc is I am sure extremely hurtfull.

The music that Mary J sings will be classics in their time "More than I can say" No more drama" Brian McKnight "One Last Cry", "Back at One" will be played as often as Al Green for the generation that appreciates them.

We all have different ears for music (did you know that ears are like fingerprints, they are indivdual to our gentic make up) to rob one group of their work because we don't personally like it is deplorable.

I was offering my own opinion.

I think it's tragic that Black America has lost its way musically, and it's left to white soul bands like Maroon Five to recapture it.

Mainly commenting on what a wasted opportunity Raphael Saadiq was.

All that money, all that BEAUTIFUL music, and yes, musically is IS beautiful, to support a bunch of weak songs with no melody.

A waste.

A terrible waste.

Social source share

Interesting subject...

It isn't just black America, it's far wider than that.

It seems more people than ever are able to perform and record but so much of it is contrived or derivative. I think it's fair to say that the great art of songwriting has become a lost art.

I try to listen to music from all eras and I honestly can't find many writers today who are anywhere near the standard of Hayes/Porter, Holland/Dozier/Holland, Penn/Oldham, Goffin/King, Bacharach/David, Gamble/Huff, etc.

One of the reasons is the rise of TV over radio because people focus on image more than content. Another factor is technology because people try to become programmers, arrangers and producers instead of being performers or musicians.

And all too often people try to create the whole thing themselves, rather than assemble a bunch of talented people to collaborate. Most of the great songs of old were team efforts, the result of human interaction. They inspired each other.

And what about arrangers? They were once so vital to the creative process yet some people don't think they need them anymore.

A final point to consider is that most artists get publishing deals as well as record deals these days, even if they aren't talented writers. That usually puts them under a "minimum committment" clause which forces them to write most of their own material, rather than obtain better songs from professional writers.

Sad but true.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

But this one is utterly fabulous and has aged wonderfully well.

Fantastic :lol: . Nearly as good as 'I'm a winner'. and next time you're giving food and booze away, shit-can the oysters and fizz, and I'll give you an address to send 48 cans of Pedigree and 10 Brixham Crabs. I promise you, there'll be eff all left lying around. :D

Social source share

Interesting subject...

It isn't just black America, it's far wider than that.

It seems more people than ever are able to perform and record but so much of it is contrived or derivative. I think it's fair to say that the great art of songwriting has become a lost art.

I try to listen to music from all eras and I honestly can't find many writers today who are anywhere near the standard of Hayes/Porter, Holland/Dozier/Holland, Penn/Oldham, Goffin/King, Bacharach/David, Gamble/Huff, etc.

One of the reasons is the rise of TV over radio because people focus on image more than content. Another factor is technology because people try to become programmers, arrangers and producers instead of being performers or musicians.

And all too often people try to create the whole thing themselves, rather than assemble a bunch of talented people to collaborate. Most of the great songs of old were team efforts, the result of human interaction. They inspired each other.

And what about arrangers? They were once so vital to the creative process yet some people don't think they need them anymore.

A final point to consider is that most artists get publishing deals as well as record deals these days, even if they aren't talented writers. That usually puts them under a "minimum committment" clause which forces them to write most of their own material, rather than obtain better songs from professional writers.

Sad but true.

Paul Mooney

All true.

But I have spent thirty years keeping the Holland/Dozier/Holland and Gamble/Huff style alive.

If Ebony Alleyne had been on a major label, I mean actually RELEASED on a major label, it should have been the biggest record of the last ten years everywhere, especially in America.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

All true.

But I have spent thirty years keeping the Holland/Dozier/Holland and Gamble/Huff style alive.

If Ebony Alleyne had been on a major label, I mean actually RELEASED on a major label, it should have been the biggest record of the last ten years everywhere, especially in America.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

And talking about Fab , Hope you don't mind me posting This ! I know you have not seen him for years

well here he is .........

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Fantastic . Nearly as good as 'I'm a winner'. and next time you're giving food and booze away, shit-can the oysters and fizz, and I'll give you an address to send 48 cans of Pedigree and 10 Brixham Crabs. I promise you, there'll be eff all left lying around.

You want the first class ticket and luxury hotel suite too ???

So which major Motown group were you the lead singer with ????

Social source share

A video I love ! Wish i could have been in that Studio , would you rather have this version or Martha's ?

">

Social source share

It was.

Sony paid for it all.

Then decided there was no place in the marketplace for it and dropped it without releasing it.

....and I'm afraid they are probably right. look at what the big hits are in the USA - christian fundamentalist "no sex until we're 50" boy bands, C&W crapola, thrashy metal, power ballads and gimmicky rap / hip hop.

In 3 words - Soul don't sell.

It's been that way for years.

Social source share

....and I'm afraid they are probably right. look at what the big hits are in the USA - christian fundamentalist "no sex until we're 50" boy bands, C&W crapola, thrashy metal, power ballads and gimmicky rap / hip hop.

In 3 words - Soul don't sell.

It's been that way for years.

But Amy Winehouse and Duffy have both sold.

Social source share

Yes odd that - think they were so out of left field and unlike everything else they were getting programmed on radio / mtv etc they might have found a niche under the 'gimmicky' banner.

Or America might actually LIKE records with a Northern Soul flavour.......

Social source share