Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Well Diana Ross had a hit album in America last year, with this, so there's still hope. (And she is STILL fabulous)

No she isn't! She's an arrogant bitch who stopped the live show in front of 10K fans who were soaking wet in a torrential rainstorm @ Petworth Park to complain that people were filming her on their mobile phones and that the clips would be on You Tube the next day and she wouldn't get paid! :lol:

Bitch didn't do an encore either! :lol:

By the way I played "Cafe Regios" - Gary The Master Blaster on the Origional Mastercuts show today and it sounded just fantastic!

Took a couple of calls asking who it was. I can see a limited-edition 7" of this doing really well if you put it out there.........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

No she isn't! She's an arrogant bitch who stopped the live show in front of 10K fans who were soaking wet in a torrential rainstorm @ Petworth Park to complain that people were filming her on their mobile phones and that the clips would be on You Tube the next day and she wouldn't get paid!

I'm shocked and stunned.

I know she's no saint and never has been, and I love the Chris Clark story with the wardrobe, but nevertheless, I still love her voice and her music. I grew up on it.

Social source share

By the way I played "Cafe Regios" - Gary The Master Blaster on the Origional Mastercuts show today and it sounded just fantastic!

Took a couple of calls asking who it was. I can see a limited-edition 7" of this doing really well if you put it out there.........

Fantastic.

Will you pay for it to be pressed if I let you have it exclusively ????

Social source share

Is that one you are going to share?

she's always sounded more POP than SOUL to me. Can't stand her voice, really.

Berry Gordy was in bed with Chris Clark having very intensive sex, and the door was locked, and Diana Ross came banging the door down. Berry told her he'd see her in the morning, but she was having none of it. So Berry told Chris Clark to hide in the wardrobe and he'd get rid of her.

Eight hours later she was still there , and she made Berry screw her, while Chris Clark couldn't dare leave the wardrobe, and then Miss Ross insisted on staying the night.

This is a true story. Chris Clark could hardly move when she finally got let out.

Social source share

Yeah, probably. I think we could do this through a mutual friend. I just think it could hit the spot with lots of people. JJ Barnes for the 'B' side..........?

We'll talk, and you can gladly do the J.J. Barnes too, and the Freda Payne, but I have a strict policy which I will not compromise on, and that is no seven inch where the flipside is a different artist. So you'll have to do three different sevens.

Social source share

Berry Gordy was in bed with Chris Clark having very intensive sex, and the door was locked, and Diana Ross came banging the door down. Berry told her he'd see her in the morning, but she was having none of it. So Berry told Chris Clark to hide in the wardrobe and he'd get rid of her.

Eight hours later she was still there , and she made Berry screw her, while Chris Clark couldn't dare leave the wardrobe, and then Miss Ross insisted on staying the night.

This is a true story. Chris Clark could hardly move when she finally got let out.

Ms Ross defines the word Diva with her general stroppiness. I've never taken her that seriously as a vocalist but I admired her star quality and she does look fabulous. I broke "Chain Reaction" in the UK by mailing it to every commercial DJ in the UK and plugging the video relentlessly which eventually provided her last UK No.1. That video was pehenomenal though - I don't think she ever bettered it......

Surprised she lasted 8 hours in the sack with Berry though. She looked a bit scrawny for any serious action back then LOL.......

Social source share

We'll talk, and you can gladly do the J.J. Barnes too, and the Freda Payne, but I have a strict policy which I will not compromise on, and that is no seven inch where the flipside is a different artist. So you'll have to do three different sevens.
I'm glad to hear that because I don't like singles which are shared by two different artists, especially when they have little or nothing to do with each other.

If you release "Cafe Reggios" you should have vocal and instrumental versions.

Paul

Spelling corrected ...sorry, my cat Felix jumped up on the desk and accidentally hit a few keys which resulted in a spelling mistake.

Edited by Paul
Social source share

I'm glad to hear that because I don't like singles which are shared by two different artists, especially when they have little or nothing to do with each other.

If you release "Caffe Reggios" you should have vocal and instrumental versions.

Paul

Yep, agreed. I'd go for that. It'd work nicely and I think it would appeal to a few different scenes. In fact let's give it another listen - 52 downloads so far..........

Gary The Master Blaster "Cafe Reggios"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/183698315b8bc59d/

Social source share

Yep, agreed. I'd go for that. It'd work nicely and I think it would appeal to a few different scenes. In fact let's give it another listen - 52 downloads so far..........

Gary The Master Blaster "Cafe Reggios"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/183698315b8bc59d/

I was already a big fan of this one. In fact, a friend of mine popped in on Monday and heard it for the first time so I had to give him an illegal MP3 copy to play in his car on the way home. Shame on me.

No royalties for Ian or for Isaac from that transaction.

:lol:

Spelling corrected ...it was Felix again.

Edited by Paul
Social source share

I was already a big fan of this one. In fact, a friend of mine popped in on Monday and heard it for the first time so I had to give him an illegal MP3 copy to play in his car on the way home. Shame on me.

:lol:

Spelling corrected ...it was Felix again.

And none from the 69 downloads on the track so far either! Nice of Ian to OK us to be so cavalier with the music he's financed and still trying to recoup on!

I reckon a voc/inst 7" of this would sell like gangbusters if it was limited.....

Social source share

Ms Ross defines the word Diva with her general stroppiness. I've never taken her that seriously as a vocalist but I admired her star quality and she does look fabulous. I broke "Chain Reaction" in the UK by mailing it to every commercial DJ in the UK and plugging the video relentlessly which eventually provided her last UK No.1. That video was pehenomenal though - I don't think she ever bettered it......

No one has ever bettered that video.

The best video ever made.

Social source share

If you release "Cafe Reggios" you should have vocal and instrumental versions.

Paul

That's exactly what I was going to do.

I HATE singles which share two different artists, and I have refused Kev Roberts permission to do any with my stuff in the past.

I simply will not allow it, and it's not up for negotiation.

Social source share

And none from the 69 downloads on the track so far either! Nice of Ian to OK us to be so cavalier with the music he's financed and still trying to recoup on!

I reckon a voc/inst 7" of this would sell like gangbusters if it was limited.....

Like I said last week... "It really should have been a single."

And I think it's about eight years old already (?)

Paul

Social source share

I'll forgive you.

You're one of the good guys.

If anybody wants a proper copy, there are still eight original copies left here, even though it's been deleted for almost eight years ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Didnt-Word-Var...7713&sr=1-1

Social source share

Then lets bloody well do it.

Also, I wish someone would do "Love Is My Sanctuary". If anyone wants to hear it, the rough mix (not the finished one) can be heard automatically playing when you click on this page..

https://www.myspace.com/northernsoul2008

It NEEDS to be on a seven to get more play.

Social source share

Like I said last week... "It really should have been a single."

And I think it's about eight years old already (?)

Paul

More.

It was done in 1998 for the Strange World Of Northern Soul, in which it does get used. Then in 2000 it was on the "You Didn't Say A Word" compilation, much of which was the new music we used in SWONS for the dancing and the memorabilia sequences.

Social source share

More.

It was done in 1998 for the Strange World Of Northern Soul, in which it does get used. Then in 2000 it was on the "You Didn't Say A Word" compilation, much of which was the new music we used in SWONS for the dancing and the memorabilia sequences.

Yes, I have it on DVD and CD ...and an MP3 from napster.

Ten years seems to have flown by.

Paul

Social source share

All true.

But I have spent thirty years keeping the Holland/Dozier/Holland and Gamble/Huff style alive.

If Ebony Alleyne had been on a major label, I mean actually RELEASED on a major label, it should have been the biggest record of the last ten years everywhere, especially in America.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

I just couldn't help myself.

It was a mild and amusing quip, far milder and more amusing than his scathing, unreasoning, blind and blinkered review of my last album.

I seem to be defending myself much too much these days. It's very soul destroying, especially knowing you're in the midst and amongst so many people who have no love for you.

Daniel in the lion's den.

At first did you intend to make the 60s Northern Soul music fans dislike your music ?

And as time has passed us all by and our heros have gone one by one............it seems you were the only one to film them?

And for that In the future you will be awarded the NS Silver Star !

I hope you treated them all well !

(press 1994)

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I think you'll find that account has been closed.

Nick

I got this overnight...

Hi

We don't know each other but you have just posted about me on Soul Source - would I have the balls to say it to his face- well the answers yes but that;s not why I'm writing.

Your friend Ian got me thrown off soul source after a couple of postings but whatever. I'd be grateful if you would let him and the rest of Soul Source know that my reviews on Amazon are honest and unbiased. In fact of the seven cds he mentioned this evening I have today given rave 5 star reviews to two of them. I would also ask that you let Mike Hughes know that I'm not best pleased to be slagged off without the right to reply. Let him have my email address if he wants to contact me .

many thanks

Frank Kirkham

Social source share

This is Tahira Jumah.

A truly wonderful person in every way. Caring, unselfish, and has gone out of her way to find other artists for me, and has gone on TV to promote what we did together.

He said that Kylie Minogue had more soul. And this is the song he reviewed.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

I got this overnight...

Hi

We don't know each other but you have just posted about me on Soul Source - would I have the balls to say it to his face- well the answers yes but that;s not why I'm writing.

Your friend Ian got me thrown off soul source after a couple of postings but whatever. I'd be grateful if you would let him and the rest of Soul Source know that my reviews on Amazon are honest and unbiased. In fact of the seven cds he mentioned this evening I have today given rave 5 star reviews to two of them. I would also ask that you let Mike Hughes know that I'm not best pleased to be slagged off without the right to reply. Let him have my email address if he wants to contact me .

many thanks

Frank Kirkham

There's a 'contact site' button on the front page if he wants to contact the site about why his membership was removed (though I'm sure he was informed why at the time) - it was because he broke the site rules, not because anyone "got him thrown off".

ps I know you're just the messenger Pete :wicked:

pps please don't anyone make me quote the 'stay on topic, be polite, etc etc' stuff again, I'm starting to bore myself tongue.gif

Social source share

BRILLIANT RECORD..

WHAT A VOICE..

GOT TO GET HOLD OF THIS RECORD..

NICE ONE..........

You can get the album here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Look-Back-Eb...2930&sr=8-1

There is a seven inch of "Second Look" on the Okeh label, all official, but there were only 100 copies ever pressed and I don't have a clue where you'd find one. I searched, but there are none for sale on either Amazon or E-Bay.

Social source share

At first did you intend to make the 60s Northern Soul music fans dislike your music ?

No.

Heaven forbid.

Far from it.

The ones that do, seem to be more than venomous, and they seem to egg each other on.

The style of music I make means it should, by all rights, naturally appeal to fans of Sixties Northern.

Social source share

First time I've listened to Tahira Jumah. A lovely 'breathy' sexy, girlie sound in the Barbara Acklin tradition, I thought. A good song too, with pop potential, that should have charted. Did it?

She's one of my favourites. It was never a single, and therefore could never chart, and wouldn't have done anyway without heavy promotion. But I'm thrilled that you agree with me that she has more soul than Kylie Minogue. Barbara Acklin is a much nicer and kinder comparison. And I thank you for it.

Here's a couple more by her.

">
Social source share

I got this overnight...

I'd be grateful if you would let him and the rest of Soul Source know that my reviews on Amazon are honest and unbiased.

If those reviews are unbiased, then I'm a Slitheen from Raxacoricofallipatorius.

Social source share

By the way I played "Cafe Regios" - Gary The Master Blaster on the Original Mastercuts show today and it sounded just fantastic!

Ian D :)

And the proof of the pudding - sounds just fantastic on the radio IMO. :thumbup:

It's about 1 hr 22 minutes in..........

Gratuitious plug over now! Here we go........

1st Hour

Will Powers - Smile

Crown Heights Affair - Foxy Lady

Ray Munnings - Funky Nassau

Al Marshall - Let's Get Down

Jimmy & Vella Cameron - Be Fair To Me

Robin Thicke feat Mary J. Blige - Magic (NYC Remix)

Chew - I Like It

Mo Grazz - Some Things Never Change

Jeffrey Osbourne - I Really Don't Need No Light

Steve Arrington - She Just Don't Know

Johnny Hudson - Better Love

2nd Hour

Lee Andrews - I've Had It

Ila Vann - Can't Help Lovin' That Man

Bob Relf - Girl, You're My Kind Of Wonderful

Al Mason - Good Lovin'

Towanda Barnes - You Don't Mean It

James Perry - April Lady

Gary The Master Blaster - Caf Reggio's

Voices Of East Harlem - Wanted Dead Or Alive

Stevie Wonder - Knocks Me Off My Feet

Stevie Wonder - Superwoman

Jeannie Reynolds - The Fruit Song

Tommy McGhee - Now That I Have You

Clausell - Let Me Love You

Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway - Back Together Again

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/6MS-2008-09-14-Starpoint.mp3

Best,

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

You can get the album here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Look-Back-Eb...2930&sr=8-1

There is a seven inch of "Second Look" on the Okeh label, all official, but there were only 100 copies ever pressed and I don't have a clue where you'd find one. I searched, but there are none for sale on either Amazon or E-Bay.

I've got one of these 45s somewhere :thumbup:

Julian

Social source share

Hi,

Angelo Starr - 2 feet/destination (Centre City) 7". Is this a re-issue? What was the original if so?

Thanks,

No my darling.

That is the original.

It has never been reissued.

There were just three seven inches on the Centre City label, Angelo Starr, Vanessa Haynes, and Gerod Harris.

All three are fabulous, though I say so myself.

Social source share

Since I became aware of Tahira Jumah (yesterday :lol: ) all three of the songs that you put up have truly got inside my head. Found myself whistling Mister Right this morning. Doesn't that prove that you've got a hit there?! Tahirah is certainly a star in a pop soul way, whatever anyone thinks about the songs.

I would like to think so.

"Mister Right" was a song I wrote in 1991 with the late great Edwin Starr, as a follow up to "Footsteps Following Me" by Frances Nero.

In the end, we went with "Making My Daydream Real" instead, and the original version was the opening track on a rare double CD called Divas

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...8125&sr=1-1

In 2006 I revisited the song and remixed Frances Nero's original vocal version to sound more like this current Tahira Jumah version, and released it on here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solid-Ground-Vario...8252&sr=1-2

And then earlier this year, I re-recorded it with Tahira Jumah, which I think is the best version ever, but it's still the same song I wrote with Edwin Starr, and released it here..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Soul-2008...8330&sr=1-1

You have impeccable taste, and I am pleased to have met you.

Social source share

One of the greatest pure soul singers I think, who along with people like Etta James and Mitty Collier inherited the mantle of the classic blues singers. I think I like every record I've heard that you cut on this lady who sang deep soul regardless of the accompaniment.

I think you will like this one then

">
Social source share