If You Didnt Know It Was A Pop Song

Just playing "hang on sloopy" by the McMoys at my daughters request and thought -If it wasnt know as a pop song it would actually be quite danceable even on the old scene of the past or even now! :thumbsup:

What other records if were not known as pop records do you think could be played on the scene? and explain why!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest abdntony

Just playing "hang on sloopy" by the McMoys at my daughters request and thought -If it wasnt know as a pop song it would actually be quite danceable even on the old scene of the past or even now! :thumbsup:

What other records if were not known as pop records do you think could be played on the scene? and explain why!

on a different slant anyone heard Anthony Wright RESET TO ZERO

Social source share

Just playing "hang on sloopy" by the McMoys at my daughters request and thought -If it wasnt know as a pop song it would actually be quite danceable even on the old scene of the past or even now! ohmy.gif

Duffy - Mercy.

I'll get me coat. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x :lol:

Social source share

Fantastic record. There was also a female version of this played on the Northern scene by Lena Junoff on the Olga label (Swedish origina, UK label)

Lena Junoff , as you will know Pete , also did a good version of " Yesterday Has Gone " , which received plays on t'northern scene a while ago ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Heard Gavin Page play this at a do,honest!! biggrin.gif got a album i wonder whether "fever" is on it!!,original on Wand i guess !!.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Heard Gavin Page play this at a do,honest!! :thumbsup: got a album i wonder whether "fever" is on it!!,original on Wand i guess !!.

It was released on Bang Records in the U.S. - Bang # 511 The Mc Coys " Fever " / " Sorrow " ( 1965 ) , and on Immediate here in the U.K. - IM021 , also in 1965 ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

It was released on Bang Records in the U.S. - Bang # 511 The Mc Coys " Fever " / " Sorrow " ( 1965 ) , and on Immediate here in the U.K. - IM021 , also in 1965 ......

Malc Burton

Deffo got a LP yep on bang,on the cover they are pictured with a airoplane.... :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

thats what I was referring to Malc

Sorry Pete , fingers acted before the eyes read : thought you meant " Fever " dear boy .......

Standing in the corner now :thumbsup: .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Just playing "hang on sloopy" by the McMoys at my daughters request and thought -If it wasnt know as a pop song it would actually be quite danceable even on the old scene of the past or even now! ohmy.gif

Anything by Duffy, Amy Winehouse, Sharleen Spitari, Joss Stone because they are oh so soulful :):thumbsup: .

Social source share

I know it was a hit in 1968, but Dorian Gray "I've Got You On My Mind". Great words to that song, particularly the bit where sings "The world has been a much much better place/theres a smile on every face and the sun shines through when I look at you."

Likewise the Lovin Spoonful "Do You Believe in Magic".

I know it ain't soulful like, but I love Helen Shapiro's "Today Has Been Cancelled" from 1969 too.

Suz biggrin.gif

x

Social source share

Reminds me of the Kingmen - Louie Louie (also good for mod/norhtern nights)

A record I had forgotten , which for some strange reason , came into my head last night .........

Los Bravos - " I Don't Care "

More popularly available as the reverse of their UK hit in the 60s on Decca " Black Is Black " , the disc also gained release ( again on Decca ) coupled with " Don't Be Left Out In The Rain " .......

The record was covered and received plays on the scene , but under what name I cannot recall ........

Any chance of a sound clip Mr S ? .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

one of my favorites is jefferson `baby take me in your arms`on uk pye. for those who dont know

he was vocalist with the rockin berries who did a good version of the four seasons `dawn` also on

uk pye. really the list is endless and this topic could run all week on 60s/70s releases alone. we dont

have to mention duffy/ amy winehouse etc.....................do we :thumbsup:

dave

Social source share

one of my favorites is jefferson `baby take me in your arms`on uk pye. for those who dont know

he was vocalist with the rockin berries who did a good version of the four seasons `dawn` also on

uk pye. really the list is endless and this topic could run all week on 60s/70s releases alone. we dont

have to mention duffy/ amy winehouse etc.....................do we :thumbsup:

dave

Morning Dave ......

Another good side is Lucas with The Mike Cotton Sound " Step Out Of Line " ( UK Pye 7N.17313 . 1967 ) ........

I think it gained plays back at the time of release , and could possibly still do so .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Bought a garage/psych album of various artists a few years back, tracks include....The Strangeloves - Night Time (Bang)... what a stomper!! :thumbsup:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned The Lovin' Spoonful's " Six O'Clock " ( US Kama Sutra # 225 . 1967 ) , the vocal version to

" Supertime " ...........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I am surprised that no one has mentioned The Lovin' Spoonful's " Six O'Clock " ( US Kama Sutra # 225 . 1967 ) , the vocal version to

" Supertime " ...........

Malc Burton

Agree, bet the vocal has never been played on the scene??

The Lovin' Spoonful also did a great version of Len Barry's (among others)...'You Baby'

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Heard a vocal somewhere I'm sure.....????

I think - like yourself - that there was a vocal played ( but not TLS ) , but I cannot recall who it was attributed to .........

I stll have a copy of TLS , which I picked up in the States when Adam was a lad , buying it after it was supposedly/ allegedly the vocal to

" Supertime " : how wrong I was : the instrumental elements are there , and it is more or less the same record , but it does not have the

" oomph " of what was released as " Supertime " ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest souljack
Interesting, Tony - yet there was a certain "edge" about Pet's 60s hits, wasn't there? I could add I KNOW A PLACE :rolleyes:
i couldnt live without your love was played at venues in central scotland back in the day always filled the floor,and what about helen shapiro tell me what he said
Social source share

on the "supremes a go go" album the do a version of "hang on sloopy" which i like (only one of about three supremes tracks i really like)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Shakin Stevens - Come See About Me (12 inch version) sounds like a modern record

Ace of Base - Always Have Always Will is very uptemp with a Motown sound

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Petula Clark - "I Couldn't Live Without Your Love"...

I really liked Petula Clark's run of hits at that time, starting with the classic "Downtown". Indeed, what surprised me many years after the event (though it's shouldn't really be surprising at all) was to discover that a great many of the pop records that I liked in my youth were also highly regarded by other Soul fans. All of this helped confirm my taste later on as I began to analyse and compare the ingredients of various records, Pop versus Soul.

I had no idea at the time that records such as Steam "Na, Na, Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" had lifted part of the melody from Jerry Butler's "He Will Break Your Heart", of the pedigree of "Yesterday Has Gone", or that "Grooving With Mr. Bloe" would transfer so readily from the youth clubs of 1970 to Northern Soul dancehalls - and actually improve in the process!

I nominate the Beach Boys' "Darlin'" as a worthwhile pop stomper*

(with due acknowledgement to Ian Dewhirst's thread a little while back!)* :)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I really liked Petula Clark's run of hits at that time, starting with the classic "Downtown". Indeed, what surprised me many years after the event (though it's shouldn't really be surprising at all) was to discover that a great many of the pop records that I liked in my youth were also highly regarded by other Soul fans. All of this helped confirm my taste later on as I began to analyse and compare the ingredients of various records, Pop versus Soul.

I had no idea at the time that records such as Steam "Na, Na, Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" had lifted part of the melody from Jerry Butler's "He Will Break Your Heart", of the pedigree of "Yesterday Has Gone", or that "Grooving With Mr. Bloe" would transfer so readily from the youth clubs of 1970 to Northern Soul dancehalls - and actually improve in the process!

I nominate the Beach Boys' "Darlin'" as a worthwhile pop stomper*

(with due acknowledgement to Ian Dewhirst's thread a little while back!)* :)

I also commented on Ian's thread , that I considered The Beach Boys " Do It Again " had a hint of " northern " in respect pf the backing track , but doubted that it could be accepted due to the vocals .......

In respect of Petula Clark , she recorded a Tony Hatch song " You'd Better Come Home " , which is a good / effective beat ballad , a track which I feel could gain acceptance if given plays ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I forgot about "High In The Sky" by Amen Corner. A proper pop "stomper" that one, eh?

(Avoid their lame version of "Our Love Is In The Pocket" at all costs though!) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just playing "hang on sloopy" by the McMoys at my daughters request and thought -If it wasnt know as a pop song it would actually be quite danceable even on the old scene of the past or even now!

Only just seen this thread. The original version of Hang On Sloopy is My Girl Sloopy by the Vibrations, a big play in Mod clubs in 1964, better imo than the McCoys, but that's just me. Fever is a good version by the McCoys, prefer it to their Sloopy, and the b side is Sorrow, later a hit for the Merseys.

Hang On Sloopy may have been played in clubs at the time, but don't recall it myself. I do remember Do You Believe In Magic being played, the melody has a slight resemblance to Heatwave to my ears. Plenty of white poppy/early garage records were played, most now totally forgotten. Did a CD of Mod sounds for friends recently that had a few on it.

Petula Clark's pop hits of the mid sixties and onwards are fine pop records, why are people snobbish about them? I'm sure most of us like other styles of music apart from soul.

I used to go to a club called the Why Not, later called Die Spinner, and they often played French pop records, ballads, nice to dance to your girlfriend with, followed on from the popularity of Francoise Hardy. She was very attractive, as well as a good singer. And they played good soul records too.

Social source share

Darlin' is a great record. John B Sebastian, the lead singer in The Lovin' Spoonful, apart from being a top musician/session man in the 60's, had a great, soulful voice in my opinion. Daydream could have been written

decades before the so-called Summer of Love.

Social source share

I agree with Petula Clark, I like "The Other Man's Grass is Always Greener" and I still like "Don't Sleep in the Subway."

Another record to put forward is The Buckinghams "Susan."

Suz :D

x

Always liked the Buckingham's-Susan, Don't You Care and their best known pop record A Kind Of A Drag.

Also like the Walker Brothers-Baby You Don't Have To Tell Me and most things by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap especially Over You.

When I was young and attending soul nights in the football capital (Scunthorpe), John Miles-One Minute Every Hour,Graham Bonney-Super Girl and Steam-Na Na Hey etc were often played as were many Four Seasons records.

Steve

Social source share

Always liked the Buckingham's-Susan, Don't You Care and their best known pop record A Kind Of A Drag.

Also like the Walker Brothers-Baby You Don't Have To Tell Me and most things by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap especially Over You.

When I was young and attending soul nights in the football capital (Scunthorpe), John Miles-One Minute Every Hour,Graham Bonney-Super Girl and Steam-Na Na Hey etc were often played as were many Four Seasons records.

Steve

Yep Kind of a Drag was a number one in America, but did nothing over here. I also like You Misunderstand Me by the Buckinghams posted up on the Sixties Sunday Thread on Media Section by Ken a few weeks ago.

Suz :D

x

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Up-tempo stomper in the Ellen & the Shandells "Gypsy" mode from the great Laura Nyro

Layra Nyro "Eli's comin'" Columbia

I liked some of Laura Nyro's songs very much. "Stoney End", "Wedding Bell Blues" etc. were some of those "pop-songs-with-a-soulful-something" I mentioned earlier that I loved at the time and helped create a bridge to Soul proper for me. Also several of her songs were recorded by Black American acts ("Save The Country" and "Stoned Soul Picnic" spring to mind.) She covered quite a few Soul classics herself, including the Royalettes' "It's Gonna Take A Miracle" and Wikipedia states;

"Nyro's best-selling single was her recording of Carole King and Gerry Goffin's "Up on the Roof" (!)

I think "Eli's Coming" is something of a mini pop masterpiece. (I was listening to it for the first time in donkey's years just a few weeks ago on youtube in fact!)

Incidently, there were also a couple of disco groups likely named after Laura Nyro songs Eli's Second Coming on Silver Blue, and the Canadian(?) group Sweet Blindness of "Cowboys To Girls" fame on Quality (itself a disco cover of the Intruders classic!)

Lots of good pop music mentioned here, but I wouldn't want to hear any of them played at a Soul night. Life's too short to mix n' match at this stage! smile.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Morning Dave ......

Another good side is Lucas with The Mike Cotton Sound " Step Out Of Line " ( UK Pye 7N.17313 . 1967 ) ........

I think it gained plays back at the time of release , and could possibly still do so .......

Malc Burton

Lucas is alive and well and living in Norwich! He has done the local pub and circuit this way for many years now and can often be seen out and about in our fine city!!

Mark C

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

No one has said Brother Beyond - The Harder I Try what an old classic 80's pop song and we all know what Pete Waterman wanted with the sound of the song

Social source share

• 6 years later...

A record I had forgotten , which for some strange reason , came into my head last night .........

Los Bravos - " I Don't Care "

More popularly available as the reverse of their UK hit in the 60s on Decca " Black Is Black " , the disc also gained release ( again on Decca ) coupled with " Don't Be Left Out In The Rain " .......

The record was covered and received plays on the scene , but under what name I cannot recall ........

Any chance of a sound clip Mr S ? .........

Malc Burton

got one in a bootsale in factory sleave n mint gonna put it on evil bay find out its true worth 

los caneros.JPG

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!