Latin - Love It Or Hate It

Boogaloo

Running a 100% latin soul and boogaloo night 'Hit the Bongo' next Friday 24th Oct at Filthy McNastys in London. Now I have to admit you can't get enough Latin but sometimes I do get comments that it's s***** and shouldn't be played on the Northern scene. Do you love it or hate it. If you do love it which tunes float your boat?

Mine are:

Monguito Santamaria, Hey Sister

Pepe Fernandez - Having Fun

Ray Medina - Head´S Head

Mongo Santamaria - We Got Latin Soul

Orchestra Harlow - El Exigente

Edited by boogaloo
Social source share

• Replies 113
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Running a 100% latin soul and boogaloo night next Friday 24th Oct. Now I have to admit you can't get enough but sometimes I do get comments that it's s***** and shouldn't be played on the Northern scene. Do you love it or hate it. If you do love it which tunes float your boat?

Mine are:

Ray Medina - Head´S Head

Latin's fine. So is Jazz, Funk, C&W and lots more. but none of them are Northern Soul.

Social source share

Running a 100% latin soul and boogaloo night next Friday 24th Oct. Now I have to admit you can't get enough but sometimes I do get comments that it's s***** and shouldn't be played on the Northern scene. Do you love it or hate it. If you do love it which tunes float your boat?

Mine are:

Ray Medina - Head´S Head

love latin listening to mi mambo conga eddie palmieri,fever la lupe,boogaloo mania charlie palmieri,cannonology machito,pow wow manny corchado and many more just superb

Social source share

Mine are:

Ray Medina - Head´S Head

Yes Yes Yes :thumbsup::ohmy::lol: ....plese dont ask me for tunes cos it would run forever and ever....pure sex on the dancefloor....Delxxxxx

Social source share

Mine are:

Ray Medina - Head´S Head

I loved your night for its diversity when I came down Warren...but I must admit...i'm not a fan of Latin in Soul nights...i'm quite happy to sit at home and listen to it...although not quite the same i'm heavily into Buena Vista/Cuban All-Stars Cuban music etc...but I think there is a time and a place...suppose if you are to do a purely Latin night then there is no excuse for anyone to turn up expecting anything else :thumbsup:

Social source share

is there anythink better than latin jazz? totally cool music,liek any other music you get your good tunes and your bad tunes,its just about finding the right ones!

joe battann - subway joe

ray barretto - hard hands

pete rodruigez - i like it like that

3 of my favs! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Yup, love the Latin stuff, it's got an infectious beat. I remember a load being played at the Barrowlands Ballroom, Glasgow nighter in the early 90s. Sadly Latin's all but disappeared from playlists up here now though.

Ali

Social source share

Love hearing good quality Latin, so long as its English lyrics or instrumentals.

I like to hear a few mixed in with a good set of uptempo Northern and R&B though, so not sure how a full night of it will work mind.......wish you all the best with it Warren. :thumbsup:

It does crack me up when people say certain genres of soul music ain't Northern Soul.....I think the thread on 'white' Northern tunes typifies just how broad a spectrum of music the Northern scene celebrates, and Latin does play, and has played a part (no matter how small) in the big picture of the scene.

Unless you still wanna pretend that Bobby Valentin is Rex Garvin that is... :ohmy:

Social source share

love it

fave..

at the moment its

Black sugar...too late...cheers Nev

anyone do me a latin stuff CD???

as I dont hear enough of it PLEASE

so I dont know much either

GASHER

Johnny Beggs has been playing Black Sugar for a while at Bidds, I'll ask him to do you a Latin CD mate.

Social source share

Mine are:

Ray Medina - Head´S Head

Personally I can take or leave most latin stuff, EXCEPT for that fantastic period in NY from about "65 to '69 - the boogaloo and shingaling period.

So many good records on Fania, Cotique, Tico, Swinger, Speed, MGM Latino, and the rest. biggrin.gif

Hard to find on 45s, a lot of the time, though. :ohmy:

Social source share

Johnny Beggs has been playing Black Sugar for a while at Bidds, I'll ask him to do you a Latin CD mate.

Good to see so many love the latin. I'll post up a few on Refo later.

Been after Black Sugar for ages. Always seem to miss it when it comes up for sale. Anyone got the 45 for sale?

Warren

Social source share

Good to see so many love the latin. I'll post up a few on Refo later.

Been after Black Sugar for ages. Always seem to miss it when it comes up for sale. Anyone got the 45 for sale?

Warren

Pretty sure Beggsy had a spare a while ago, but he's probably got rid by now.

Hard one to find on 45.

Social source share

Ray Barretto - Midnight Boogaloo

Posted info:
Monster tune and reletively unknown latin groover

I had one of them ! Mine was on united artists records ?

I love Latin Soul / Boogaloo - Still collect it with a passion.
Social source share

Seems to be a well talked about topic at the moment, I don't know anything really so perhaps you could post up a few tunes, don't think I could take a whole night of it tho unsure.gif

Lenny

tend to agree with you big man, always thought northern was about 95% black American, but i could be wrong (again !!)

Social source share

LOVE it! Favourite tune at the moment is Joe Bataan "Johnny's no good" thumbsup.gif

Great tune plus the other side is pure 100mph Northern Soul IMO! I sold a few of my last copies on here a while back which all went really quickly but I bumped into my ex business partner last week and he's got a few tucked away so if anyone wants this brilliant double-sider then just PM me. Only a few @ £15.00 apiece so holler if ya want one.........

Here are the clips (my own label so should be OK here):-

"Continental Square Dance" - Joe Bataan

"Johnny" -Joe Bataan

As good a double-sider as I've ever heard!

Ian D ohmy.png
Social source share

Latin Soul & Boogaloo music is and remains an inextricable part of the northern and rare soul scene ... as well as soul music's rich tapestry in general.

Anyone who seeks to deny this fact is an ignorant fool.

Old timers often tell me that Hector Rivera's "At The Party" and Cal Tjader's "Soul Sauce" were as popular as any sound on the earliest northern scene, and then throughout the next 40 years various boogaloo tracks have weaved their way in and out of the northern scene.

And this debate about white singers is just as stupid ... many of latin soul's greatest vocalists were in fact black

(eg Jimmy Sabater) ... that is, if the colour of a person's skin happens to be the way you determine what is "soul" and what isn't.

Social source share

Latin Soul & Boogaloo music is and remains an inextricable part of the northern and rare soul scene ... as well as soul music's rich tapestry in general.

Old timers often tell me that Hector Rivera's "At The Party" and Cal Tjader's "Soul Sauce" were as popular as any sound on the earliest northern scene, and then throughout the next 40 years various boogaloo tracks have weaved their way in and out of the northern scene.

And this debate about white singers is just as stupid ... many of latin soul's greatest vocalists were in fact black

(eg Jimmy Sabater) ... that is, if the colour of a person's skin happens to be the way you determine what is "soul" and what isn't.

Just to add to this, most of the boogaloo stuff came about because the young New York Latino's were growing up in Spanish Harlem listening to mambos and the soul music out of Harlem itself. The Ray Pollard vocalised a lot of these things, Kenny Seymour from Little Anthony and the Imperials was the vocalist on the Harvey Averne sides and of course Tony Middleton sang on Spanish Maiden which came from Chuito and the Latin Uniques LP on Speed produced by my good friend Bobby Marin who spent so many hours at the apollo that when I mentioned James Brown, he said he got bored of seeing him there (though he also stated that he could never get tired of watching Jackie Wilson). This fantastic area of soul music will be focused on in an BGP / Ace comp called The Soul Of Spanish Harlem due out in January.

US Fania have an amazing comp of Joe Bataan's soul sides for the label available. This includes tracks from his 'Singing Some Soul' LP, his original demo version of Gypsy Woman and his original take on Continental Square Dance called Latin Soul Square Dance which is earlier, better and only previously available on a very rare promo.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Streetlamps-An...3626&sr=1-1

Social source share

Always liked latin stuff and fel its great thats theres tunes that crossover to the northern scene.

My favs are - Black Sugar - Too late - on refosoul if you want to hear

Aguabella - I wanna know

Joe Cuba - Sock it to me - on refosoul (Another thanks to Northern Nev)

We like a bit of latin down south, Black Sugar and Joe Cuba have been regular plays for some time now at the Railway Club [ COME ON DOWN] and why not, Black Sugar is more soulful than a lot of stuff thats so called Northern :unsure:

Social source share

US Fania have an amazing comp of Joe Bataan's soul sides for the label available. This includes tracks from his 'Singing Some Soul' LP, his original demo version of Gypsy Woman and his original take on Continental Square Dance called Latin Soul Square Dance which is earlier, better and only previously available on a very rare promo.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Streetlamps-An...3626&sr=1-1

I allways rated this thirty years ago

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3tIv6Wyk4vw&...feature=related

Social source share

An argument for Latin records IMO The Majestics ILHSMITHM and Doug Banks IJKOD very influenced by this sound. :unsure:

As for artists not being accepted Dean Parrish is a great example of this fact that not only black singers are played on the Northern Soul dance floor but other ethnic groups as well.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I thought Latin and Boogaloo was much more a "Mod thing" than a Northern Soul one?

So did I...

I guess I'm on my own again with this one, I can't bloody stand the latin sound. Hopefully I've just not heard the right things yet but what I've heard so far (which isn't much to be fair) bores me silly. :unsure:

Jayne.x

Social source share

It's not a fact it's an opinion. Calling people who have different opinions ignorant fools is unlikely to change the opinions they hold.

Social source share

So did I...

I guess I'm on my own again with this one, I can't bloody stand the latin sound. Hopefully I've just not heard the right things yet but what I've heard so far (which isn't much to be fair) bores me silly. :unsure:

Jayne.x

You're not on your own. I'm certainly no expert in Latin but I like 60s sounding latin soul with a raw edge. stuff like those Joe Bataan tunes on here is terrible and cheeeeesy :huh:

Social source share

Sure Orchestra Harlow - "El Exigente" is one of the best in the genre. Main problem with it is that it's sung in spanish. Another top bogaloo track sung in spanish is El Gran Combo - "Gran Combo Boogaloo".

The ultra-cool "I'm gonna make it" Pete Terrace

Latin Dimension - "Mr. Mod" (from "It's a turned on world" LP) - Columbia

Johnny Zamot - You dig - Decca

Johnny Colon - You gotta love me - Cotique

etc etc...

Social source share

You're not on your own. I'm certainly no expert in Latin but I like 60s sounding latin soul with a raw edge. stuff like those Joe Bataan tunes on here is terrible and cheeeeesy :unsure:

"Continental Square Dance" - Joe Bataan

"Johnny" -Joe Bataan

Must admit these two for me a too disco-ee yes! its Joe but I am not into this sound at all, plenty of earlier tunes that sound better.

Social source share

Sure Orchestra Harlow - "El Exigente" is one of the best in the genre. Main problem with it is that it's sung in spanish. Another top bogaloo track sung in spanish is El Gran Combo - "Gran Combo Boogaloo".

The ultra-cool "I'm gonna make it" Pete Terrace

Latin Dimension - "Mr. Mod" (from "It's a turned on world" LP) - Columbia

Johnny Zamot - You dig - Decca

Johnny Colon - You gotta love me - Cotique

etc etc...

See, that's really good tunes but for me they are totally "Mod". No? Would surprise me to hear those in a Northern room.

Social source share

I am sure if you had bothered to read the title of the thread you would see its a Latin night and so its gonna be Latin records in general and not just Latin records played at a Northern night.

Well I did read that the first comment says.."shouldn't be played on the Northern scene"..I thought that was more or less the discussion here?

Social source share

Well I did read that the first comment says.."shouldn't be played on the Northern scene"..I thought that was more or less the discussion here?

Yep! that's right Warren talked all about that and left us with the line What Floats Your Boat.

Love Music Sergio Mendes

Soul Sauce Cal Jader

two very well know tunes for the list. :unsure:

Social source share

quick one

the refosoul tagging sytem is now built in the player

ie when you play a clip, you can tag it straight from the player - it doesnt interupt the player
(its at teh bottom right of player - just type and press submit"

latin is a great example of how usefull it could be

eg

you can click on the tag to browse/list all

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert