An Apology To Keith The Tee Shirt Man

Guest musicden786

Guest musicden786

Thank you for taking the time to read this page.

Last Friday night a small Northern Soul Night was held at the 02 Club in St Ives Cambridgeshire. Although it was a small event, every precaution was taken to ensure that anybody who came was safe, and free from any kind of intimidation or aggravation. Unfortunately we have to admit we failed and as a consequence it falls to ourselves to offer an apology for this failure.

You might agree or you might not agree, but we have mixed feelings about Northern Soul web sites. They are a very useful tool from an event promotion and event location point of view. On the other hand, forums on some of these sites seem to be increasingly frequented by a selection of very sad individuals. These individuals are easy to spot as they usualy have big phantom record collections, big mouths, very little experince of the Northern Soul Scene, and absolutely no respect for anything or anybody.We were visited by one of these individuals on Friday night, and it is the comments this person has made, related to the 02 Club on this web site, that has made it necessary for us to tender an apology.

If you have the time, we would ask you to visit another page, which is listed in the Events Forum, entitled 02Club St Ives, authored by a Vic G. Within this learned document you will see mention of an OLDISH GUY who spoke with a REAL DEEP NORTHERN ACCENT and who PUT FLYERS OUT ALL NIGHT. According to Vic G, he was WELL FUNNY. The oldish guy refered to is of course Keith The Tee Shirt Man.

We regard these remarks, and the interpretation of the accent, as insulting and completely unacceptable.

Keith and his wife have helped more people up and down the country than most of us would care to admit. In our opinion, and many others judging from the number of phone calls we have recieved, Keith and his wife are entitled to respect and should not be a target for any kind of abuse. They are the salt of the earth and an integeral part of the social history of the Northern Soul Scene in the UK.

Consequently, we offer our sincere apologies to Keith and his wife, firstly for allowing the big mouthed Vic G into our event and secondly for the appalling comments he has been allowed to make on this web site.

Vic G, who ever you are, your BANNED from any future events at the 02 Club St Ives Cambridgeshire.

It is a very short step from targeting and ridiculing accents and mannerisms to outright prejudice related to race,colour and gender. We hope that other event organisers will be on the look out for the undesirables who are attempting to become part of the Northern Soul Scene in the UK.

Finally we would like to thank Soul@Hitchen.F.C for there help in isolating the individual who has caused so much distress.

Thank you once again for taking the time to read this page.

Have a very good time, Out On The Floor this weekend.

Denis Tither and Sophia Carr.

Edited by musicden786
Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

kieth is a great guy reguly speak to him when our paths cross not read the post by Vicg but will do. kieth if you see this not seen you for a while i hope you've got a load of new CD's for me :thumbsup:

Social source share

I could go into an in depth reply to this post but as im inexperienced on the scene with only 27 years under my belt and have a big mouth that grossly gets miss interpretated i wont bother.

Keith if i offended you then i oppologise, but truth be known i had no intention of offending you, im a northerner myself from Sheffield, im a kind of guy that likes to have a laugh and a joke, i try to not take things too seriously.

As for banning me from the O2 club for the post i made which was in high spirits and not meant to be nasty at all, fine. If this is how you react to anyone that says something you dont like to hear then your club is obviously not for me, and one day i realy do hope you see the good side of people.

As i said in my initial post O2 club is a top venue, had a good laugh and i danced all night, people were excellent, friendly, but be carefull what you say, you could get banned for it.

Social source share

I could go into an in depth reply to this post but as im inexperienced on the scene with only 27 years under my belt and have a big mouth that grossly gets miss interpretated i wont bother.

Keith if i offended you then i oppologise, but truth be known i had no intention of offending you, im a northerner myself from Sheffield, im a kind of guy that likes to have a laugh and a joke, i try to not take things too seriously.

As for banning me from the O2 club for the post i made which was in high spirits and not meant to be nasty at all, fine. If this is how you react to anyone that says something you dont like to hear then your club is obviously not for me, and one day i realy do hope you see the good side of people.

As i said in my initial post O2 club is a top venue, had a good laugh and i danced all night, people were excellent, friendly, but be carefull what you say, you could get banned for it.

link

Surprised to hear your from Sheffield originally.... having just read the "O2" thread I'd have thought you'd have spelt in dee-dah a bit better laugh.gif .... obviously been down south to long and forgotten :) .... same as Pete S says.... didn't read it as insultive and I'm from up North (Sheffield).... just with a comic slant and a bit of humour.... perhaps that's still the Sheffield lad in you :thumbsup: ....

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Vic,

If you get banned from the club for that post I wouldnt want to go again anyway mate if I was you.

How ridiculous!

Rory Bremner must drink alone these days :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Us West Midlanders are constantly getting the piss taken out of our accents.  I wouldn't ban anyone for it though.  Having read Vic G's original piece, I don't think he was being intentionally nasty at all.

link

Best read with Noddy Holders voice in mind :thumbsup:laugh.gif

Social source share

Surprised to hear your from Sheffield originally.... having just read the "O2" thread I'd have thought you'd have spelt in dee-dah a bit better :lol: .... obviously been down south to long and forgotten laugh.gif .... same as Pete S says.... didn't read it as insultive and I'm from up North (Sheffield).... just with a comic slant and a bit of humour.... perhaps that's still the Sheffield lad in you :thumbsup: ....

link

Yeah im a Killamarsh lad :)

Thanks to all for the support :lol:

Social source share

regarding the points about this forum

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

This is from the forum terms and rules that every member agrees to before joining.

This is the prefered method of dealing with such issues as above.

Each post has a "report" button which sends a email to all moderators informing us of concern.

This was not done in this case, if it was done perhaps this could have been resolved in a better way.

Social source share

link

I read the original post and did not interpret it as offensive. Dont understand the reaction.

Social source share

Guest alison

I read the original post and did not interpret it as offensive. Dont understand the reaction.

link

Me too - just re-read it and I couldn't see anything to get quite so worked up about I'm afraid.

Social source share

have to say am suprised that after Vics reply, some thought it be worthwhile posting

did think that after both members had their say, matter could be closed and all move on

link

Agreed.

If you lock it that will be an end to it.

Social source share

It was Vic that wrote the 'Plinston Avoid' thread. Those were his views, but the Big O didn't ban him for them! Views were exchanged as they should be on this Forum. Think you went to the modern thing there didn't you Vic and had a stonking good time? Can't condone rudeness or blatant p*ss taking on anyone by anyone. But them calling you a big mouth on here is just as bad as what they were accusing you of in the first place.

Social source share

Storm in a t-cup I think. I have known Keith and his missues for some time and they really are tops and an essential part of the 6T's Mafia. I haven't spoken with him about this but I agree with the others, i really don't think it was meant to be offensive. God knows VicG has had his say on our event in the past that we haven't agreed with but we haven't banned him from expressing them. Let's all just lighten up a bit and accept that sometimes something in print reads worse than if it was said.

Edited by TheBigO
Social source share

All in all at the end of the day, i do say things as i see them, i dont go out of my way to upset people but as Big O pointed out, people can interperet what they like into print, having spoken to Big O , Boots, Pickles and a lot of the guys from Plinston, they know im not an undesirable or whatever, coming to that, i think its sad the way i was portrayed by someone who does not know me, i find the ban laughable.

Ive said it before and ill keep saying it, i dont just love this scene for the music and dancing, i love the friendly people that frequent the scene who like to enjoy themselves, i think its fantastic and its what makes me so happy when im on the dance floor, im around the best of the best.

I realy am gratefull for everyones support on this, i will be honest i nearly fell off my chair in horror when i read what was being said about me.

Oh and yes the last Plinston was fantastic and looking forward to the next.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I hate to swim against the tide, but I know exactly how the original poster feels.

I had to ban three close friends from our club for repeatedly taking the p*ss out of one of our regulars - Mad Southern Stan The Underpants Man.

:D

Social source share

I hate to swim against the tide, but I know exactly how the original poster feels.

I had to ban three close friends from our club for repeatedly taking the p*ss out of one of our regulars - Mad Southern Stan The Underpants Man.

link

:D:wicked::D

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

link

brilliant andy as always :wicked:

Shane

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

My little brother and his chav friends were banned from the O2 a couple of years ago. :D

I don't think they were banned for telling the DJ he shouldn't be playing CDs and bootlegs though. :D:wicked:

Social source share

"It is a very short step from targeting and ridiculing accents and mannerisms to outright prejudice related to race,colour and gender. We hope that other event organisers will be on the look out for the undesirables who are attempting to become part of the Northern Soul Scene in the UK."

Hmm...

I'm not really one to be critical about others posts, but I feel compelled to respond to this.

Thank you for being the (self-appointed) moral guardians protecting us from all the "undesirables" trying to infiltrate the Rare Soul Scene in the UK.

For what end exactly? What is their agenda? How will we know them? Are any of us safe?

I think you do internet forums such as this a disservice, just look at the names on this forum - hardly the "big phantom record collections, big mouths, very little experince of the Northern Soul Scene, and absolutely no respect for anything or anybody" of which you speak.

More a collection of friendly individuals willing to pass on their knowledge and love of the scene to others. BTW an internet forum probably isn't the best place to slag off internet forums.

Is this really about Keith The T-Shirt man, or about Vic G's view of your night?

Has anyone on this forum in particular, and the scene in general NOT expressed displeasure at one or other aspect of a night? The music policy, the cost of drinks, the toilets etc?

At the end of the day, if you pay your hard-earned, you have a right to express your views - rightly or wrongly. If you take that money as a promoter, you've got to be prepared to accept that not everyone will be happy with your promotion. If venues/promoters banned everyone who was critical of their operation, there wouldn't be venues. In my experience good promoters learn from what people have to say, rather than adopting an "it's my ball and you can't play" attitude.

As for DJs playing CDs...

Social source share

Last Friday night a small Northern Soul Night was held at the 02 Club in St Ives Cambridgeshire. Although it was a small event, every precaution was taken to ensure that anybody who came was safe, and free from any kind of intimidation or aggravation. Unfortunately we have to admit we failed and as a consequence it falls to ourselves to offer an apology for this failure.

You might agree or you might not agree, but we have mixed feelings about Northern Soul web sites. They are a very useful tool from an event promotion and event location point of view. On the other hand, forums on some of these sites seem to be increasingly frequented by a selection of very sad individuals. These individuals are easy to spot as they usualy have big phantom record collections, big mouths, very little experince of the Northern Soul Scene, and absolutely no respect for anything or anybody.We were visited by one of these individuals on Friday night, and it is the comments this person has made, related to the 02 Club on this web site, that has made it necessary for us to tender an apology.

If you have the time, we would ask you to visit another page, which is listed in the Events Forum, entitled 02Club St Ives, authored by a Vic G. Within this learned document you will see mention of an OLDISH GUY who spoke with a REAL DEEP NORTHERN ACCENT and who PUT FLYERS OUT ALL NIGHT. According to Vic G, he was WELL FUNNY. The oldish guy refered to is of course Keith The Tee Shirt Man.

We regard these remarks, and the interpretation of the accent, as insulting and completely unacceptable.

Keith and his wife have helped more people up and down the country than most of us would care to admit. In our opinion, and many others judging from the number of phone calls we have recieved, Keith and his wife are entitled to respect and should not be a target for any kind of abuse. They are the salt of the earth and an integeral part of the social history of the Northern Soul Scene in the UK.

Consequently, we offer our sincere apologies to Keith and his wife, firstly for allowing the big mouthed Vic G into our event and secondly for the appalling comments he has been allowed to make on this web site. 

Vic G, who ever you are, your BANNED from any future events at the 02 Club St Ives Cambridgeshire.

It is a very short step from targeting and ridiculing accents and mannerisms to outright prejudice related to race,colour and gender. We hope that other event organisers will be on the look out for the undesirables who are attempting to  become part of the Northern Soul Scene in the UK.

Finally we would like to thank Soul@Hitchen.F.C for there help in isolating the individual who has caused so much distress.

Thank you once again for taking the time to read this page.

Have a very good time, Out On The Floor this weekend.

link

Surely this is a wind up?????

It must be!

If it isn't a wind up,then you've made yourselves look ridiculous. :wicked:

Suppose I'm banned now :D

Social source share

link

Denis and Sophia - think you are over reacting somewhat :D . Vic G's review mentioned "Dennis the Tee Shirt man" in one sentance, and although clearly somewhat "tongue in cheek" and possibly misinformed judging by comments, I think there was more to his review than simply a "piss take" over one of the scenes apparant "untouchables".

Anyway, whatever happened to freedom of speech I wonder? Last time I looked it still existed in the UK - just - and frankly to take so seriously a throwaway line about someone's accent reeks of "political correctness" gone mad yet again. And before you get too high and mighty I can play that one back at you on the other turntable - your line about "forums on some of these sites seem to be increasingly frequented by a selection of very sad individuals. These individuals are easy to spot as they usualy have big phantom record collections, big mouths, very little experince of the Northern Soul Scene, and absolutely no respect for anything or anybody" is actually discrimanatory to those of us with phantom collections, big heads, lack of experience" etc. I may myself qualify on at least two of those counts. :D

In all frankness and seriousness though, I'd rather hear an honest appraisal of a venue, than the usual "everything's rosey here tosh" I read in the official "soul press", and in that regard informal reviews and comments on forums such as this are all the more interesting for their "candour" and freedom from "political" repercussions / payback by angry promotors. So as a "paying punter" VicG is allowed to express his opinion, end of.

What I'd actually like to hear is more about the "02 club", the sounds, the crowd etc. as it's only an hour tops away from me (even now since my voluntary "repatriation" from P/Boro nearly 15 years ago). Who are the DJ's - what are their top sounds? - have they got the vinyl etc. So tell us about that please D&S, rather than making a mountain out of a molehill of a line in VicG's original comments (and I also think you should lift the "ban" on VicG).

Also when is the next one - who are the DJs for that etc?

More please. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest musicden786

have to say am suprised that after Vics reply, some thought it be worthwhile posting

did think that after both members had their say, matter could be closed and all move on

link

All things considered, including the feedback we have received, apologies and opinions ect, this post has now served its purpose. We would have no problem if the forum moderators considered it appropriate to remove this post at close of play tonight. Say around midnight. We would also like to see the original post from Vic G removed at that time.

The consensus of the people, who were very angry about the original posting, the silent majority, look at the viewings, is that the BAN ON Vic G SHOULD NOW BE LIFTED and that all those interested should have time to see this change in circumstances.

There has been mention in reply to this post of a 60s Mafia, and its true many of the 60s originals are still around and in touch with one another. However, we are not to impressed with the MAFIA TAG and would be grateful if it would be possible to be refered to as Northern Soul Veterans in future mentions.

We hope that Keith and his Wife enjoy increased sales at all this weekends events, and if Vic G is buying this weekend we recommend he consider the JJ Jackson version of Courage Aint Strenght which is on Loma Reords number 2104.

Social source share

All things considered, including the feedback we have received, apologies and opinions ect, this post has now served its purpose. We would have no problem if the forum moderators considered it appropriate to remove this post at close of play tonight. Say around midnight. We would also like to see the original post from Vic G removed at that time.

The consensus of the people, who were very angry about the original posting, the silent majority, look at the viewings, is that the BAN ON Vic G SHOULD NOW BE LIFTED and that all those interested should have time to see this change in circumstances.

There has been mention in reply to this post of a 60s Mafia, and its true many of the 60s originals are still around and in touch with one another. However, we are not to impressed with the MAFIA TAG and would be grateful if it would be possible to be refered to as Northern Soul Veterans in future mentions.

We hope that Keith and his Wife enjoy increased sales at all this weekends events, and if Vic G is buying this weekend we recommend he consider the JJ Jackson version of Courage Aint Strenght which is on Loma Reords number 2104.

link

Bizarre indeed Shane whistling.gif North Herts 60s Mafia to give it it's correct title is the name of one of our clubs. So you understand that has nothing to do with you. As for removing a member's posts? With all the respect I can muster, I'm not sure it's your place to suggest that. In short Vic G is a member of Soul Source and to post here bad mouthing a SS member may be less than prudent. Perhaps taking on board members thoughts on this matter would be wise.

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Blimey, we now have talk of both 'untouchables' and a 'mafia' on the scene.

I'm sure that I'm probably a Northern Soul Veteran BUT Keith is a long standing mate of mine

........so I am of course just confused.

Col.

Have decided that I would now like to be an 'Original Soul Boy' next.

Social source share

That judgment of Mr Justice Pigmeat Markham QC in full:

It is said that unnecessarily unpleasant, by which I mean sarcastic, ironic or otherwise piss-takerish, remarks have been made in replies (in the form of electronic 'posts' on a 'chat' 'forum') made by a number of people I don't know (and on the other hand by one or two whom I do) to statements made in an initial essay (by which I mean a 'post') made by two other people I don't know about allegedly importunate and unwarranted remarks made concerning the accent (or was it the underpants? Never mind) of another man. Needless to say, but let anyway it be said for the record because I'm paid by the word, these intemperate remarks were made by a man I don't know who had visited a venue I have never myself visited, but with which I am passingly familiar. It is said variously that these remarks were 'offensive', 'jocular' and 'of f*** all interest to me'. Be that as it may.

Additionally, however and heretofore, therinunder and roundabouts, it is further alleged that the two people who made the initial post, in which they were replying to the original-original post (which I'd like to read but can't find), were themselves being unnecessarily precious, as distinct from unpleasant. They also stand accused of taking to their high horses, getting high handed and, indeed, getting high on their own supply. Some people suggest they are now seeking to bury their heads, but not those of their high horses, which would be ridiculous, in the sand by requesting wholesale, widespread and indiscriminate elimination, deletion and removal of offending posts. (Or was that people? Never mind).

My lord, someone is guilty here, of something. Of that much we may be certain. Exactly what it is, we may not be quite so sure but ayes to the left, nays to the right, I'm stuck in the middle with you.

Under these circumstance, there is only one possible option open to the court and that is to send the bloke with the funny accent for voice lessons, to surround VicG with fit women who will taunt him mockingly about his accent and his musical taste and to commit the aforementiond Denis and Sophia to the care of one of Her Majesty's finest hospitals, where their probelms with taking things too seriously can be dealt with and they can receive the care they so very obviously need.

Do I make myself clear?

Right, off for my lunch.

Social source share

You wanna hear what Ritchie & Tubbs call me up here in Aberdeen!

If I reacted to what they say about me Id be suicidal- Help get me the Samaritans! or better still get me a pint of Guiness!

Original thread- Over reaction- Who is going to die because of this?

Get it into perspective- This is about Yapping not about poor souls in Africa?Angola dying of a bloody awful disease. We do not know we were born at times when you hear about things like that!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

link

:yes: Tears in my eyes. How does one qualify as a Northern Soul Veteran? Will there be T shirts?

There have been some disgracefull scenes in clubs over the years that should result in bans, for instance the couple caught by the bouncer in the toilets at The Dome indulging in oral sex - I mean, did she really kneel on that filthy floor? Or did he? Some people taking illegal narcotic substances. :lol: Drunks. Smokers. People eating cake. Ban them all.

Oh, and people who want newies. And the ones who want oldies. And people who want Modern. And anyone who is such a snob they think it should be original vinyl only. Anyone owning a bootleg. Anyone with a funny accent too. Hanging is too good for them.

Social source share

:yes: Tears in my eyes.  How does one qualify as a Northern Soul Veteran?  Will there be T shirts?

There have been some disgracefull scenes in clubs over the years that should result in bans, for instance the couple caught by the bouncer in the toilets at The Dome indulging in oral sex - I mean, did she really kneel on that filthy floor?  Or did he? Some people taking illegal narcotic substances.  :lol:   Drunks.  Smokers.  People eating cake.  Ban them all. 

Oh, and people who want newies.  And the ones who want oldies.  And people who want Modern.  And anyone who is such a snob they think it should be original vinyl only.  Anyone owning a bootleg.  Anyone with a funny accent too.  Hanging is too good for them.

link

i won't have cake eaters banned stuart

Social source share

Brian: Are you the Northern Soul People's Front?

Reg: f*** off!

Brian: What?

Reg: Northern Soul People's Front? We're the People's Front of Northern Soul. Northern Soul People's front? Gah!

Francis: Wankers.

Brian: Can I join your group?

Reg: No. Piss off.

Brian: I didn't want to listen to this northern soul. It's only a job. I hate northern soul as much as anybody.

PFNS [nervously]: Sssh! Ssssh, sssh, sssh, ssssh.

Judith: Are you sure?

Brian: Oh, dead sure...I hate all of it already.

Reg: Listen. If you really wanted to join the PFNS, you'd have to really hate northern.

Brian: I do.

Reg: Oh yeah? How much?

Brian: A lot!

Reg: Right. You're in. Listen. The only thing we hate more than northern soul is the fucking Northern Soul People's Front.

PFNS: Yeah!

Judith [disgusted]: Splitters!

Francis: And the Northern Soul Popular Peoples Front.

PFNS: Oh yeah. Splitters!

Loretta: And the Peoples Front of Northern Soul.

PFNS: Splitters!

Reg: What?

Loretta: The Peoples Front of Northern Soul. Splitters!

Reg: We're the Peoples Front of Northern Soul.

Loretta: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.

Reg: Peoples Front! [scoffs]

Francis: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?

Reg: He's over there.

[A single old man sits on a lower seat.]

PFNS [To the old man]: SPLITTER!

Social source share

Reg: Northern Soul People's Front? We're the People's Front of Northern Soul. Northern Soul People's front? Gah!

Brian: I didn't want to listen to this northern soul. It's only a job. I hate northern soul as much as anybody.

Reg: Listen. If you really wanted to join the PFNS, you'd have to really hate northern.

Reg: Right. You're in. Listen. The only thing we hate more than northern soul is the fucking Northern Soul People's Front.

link

Dan,

Don't ever get a job that involves you doing any work because you wouldn't have time for the hilarious posts you've put on this thread.

keep it up. :yes:

Social source share

Dan,

Don't ever get a job that involves you doing any work because you wouldn't have time for the hilarious posts you've put on this thread.

keep it up.  :yes:

link

has been a quiet sort of day grindstone-wise dave but your soft words of flattery are much appreciated...though to be fair it's not exactly hard to take the michael in this case!

and other people have been doing a better job than me, too

hope the original posters are taking it in the right spirit though ie only a gentle leg-pull

Social source share

Guest Jamie

link

That's got to be 'humour' - right??? :lol::yes:

Slightly Bewildered of Leeds

Social source share

link

TOP CLASS, MATE! :yes:

I would never have believed that I could get to my age and still be fucking amazed by people.

Social source share

That's got to be 'humour' - right??? :P:yes:

The more I read it,the more I think it's humour.

A very clever marketing ploy methinks :lol:

If it is humourous then hats off to them,they had us all going :P

If they were serious though :P

Look out Vic G, you may wake up and find a horses head in your bed :lol: You know what the Mafia are like :P Or as they like to be referred to as the 'Northern Soul Veterans' NSV for short.Isn't that a sexual disease?

Something to do with irritating tw*ts I think :yes:

Recently bemused of Bangor now confused of Chester :lol:

Social source share

i won't have cake eaters banned stuart

link

Stuarts probably just referring to himself being banned from eating cakes, they seem to have a strange effect on him :yes: !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert