Trial : Sales Displayed By Topic Started Date

Mike

As talked about in BUMPING thread

running a trial for the next 48hrs or so

now when viewing the index page

the order of display is now set by the time the original post was posted (eg the first post not the replies)

what it means that any replies to any sales post will not push it to the top

aim is to hopefully ensure that all sales posts are easy to navigate and avoid the problems we have been having with bumping

ask give it 24 hours or so to see how it goes

if any concerns or q's after that please post below

thanks

mike

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Bumping-t93842.html

the order of display is now set by the time the original post was posted (eg the first post not the replies)

aim is to hopefully ensure that all sales posts are easy to navigate and avoid the problems we have been having with bumping

thanks

mike

Bloody good idea.

Social source share

Trial of changing the display order in this forum currently under way

please read the post below for details

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93970

looks better already Mike :lol: haven't got to sort through sales that have been up there days weeks and even longer in some cases.....sales that no one obviously wants no.gif

Social source share

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Bumping-t93842.html

thanks

mike

How about doing this in EVENTS too??

This goes on more in there than anywhere imho :ohmy:

And for what its worth ,i've had 3 pm's this week asking for records i listed as far back as last June :)

My suggestion is to people on here,if your looking for anything in particular try using the search option at the top right of the site.

And to Mike ,

i'm not sure if it's still occuring(will try again) but the search option at the bottom of the sales pages doesnt work for me?

Nev :)

Social source share

Maybe need to look at posting of single 45s in seperate ads. If you post 5 seperate sales up instead of just the one comprising 5 x 45s you're gonna push sales off the first page faster than really necessary.

ROD

Agree, there are some on here with more then 1 record for sale that list them individually, this will push a lot of new sales off page 1.

can you also ask folk who list stuff in sales/wants to use both headers Mike so they can get in what it is they are selling/asking for, very time consuming going through something that just says "wanted" to find it,s a new white belt they are after :thumbsup: !!

Ian.

Social source share

Maybe need to look at posting of single 45s in seperate ads. If you post 5 seperate sales up instead of just the one comprising 5 x 45s you're gonna push sales off the first page faster than really necessary.

ROD

i agree, plus there is at least one ebay sale in the regular sales section that should be in the ebay section

Social source share

How about doing this in EVENTS too??

This goes on more in there than anywhere imho :lol:

And for what its worth ,i've had 3 pm's this week asking for records i listed as far back as last June :shades:

My suggestion is to people on here,if your looking for anything in particular try using the search option at the top right of the site.

And to Mike ,

i'm not sure if it's still occuring(will try again) but the search option at the bottom of the sales pages doesnt work for me?

Nev :D

Nev

events lookbacks is set up like this - the whole events is awaiting an overdue upgrade which will result in all event forums having a similar display system -within a week or so

search option at bottom is a casualty of the site wide search system - (eg can't have both)

this is temp - new forum version should cure it but be 4-6 weeks before its is released

cheers mike

Social source share

been running for a day

as said it is a member/user led thing

so if do have any thoughts/views on the "display"

main one really is is it an improvement!

ask please get them up

in 24 hours or so will look at things and decide if should take on this as the default display

thanks again

mike

Social source share

I do realise why Mike Hughes has changed the sales thread, so that people who have just five records to sell don't stay bumped at the top, but it's most unfortunate for me and these soul packs, because I have eighty thousand records, everyone has STILL been delighted so far, and now the thread is almost down to page three purely because of its start date.

Well - no use me complaining - it'll just become a case of "Oh no, not Levine again", but it does seem like I'm the one person to be hit unfairly by this, especially as they all cost me more than I'm selling them for, and I'm busting my balls to make sure everybody goes away happy.

The point is that these soul packs are pleasing a lot of your members, and they seem very grateful for the opportunity to get such great records so cheap, and sadly, if the thread disappears down page three, no-one else will get to view it, so I can't really win here.

I know why you're doing this, but in my case, it simply sucks.

Social source share

The world really is out to get you isn't it Ian. I met you once a long time ago and you was a stroppy whinger then - I have not got involved in any of your threads on here because I don't see anything has changed. But now I am compeled to respond to one of your posts.

Eveyone who sells is affected one way or another, but you have to take it that you are the worst hit. For goodness sakes, get a grip man! Mike is trying to sort out a fair system so add something constructive or at least leave the self-pitious whinging alone for five minutes.

here's a constructive idea - do what Pete S does, get a mailing list together and email your soul-packs out. there now, isnt looking for a solution better than focusing on problems all the time :lol:

I cannot believe your post is allowed to remain in this thread :shades: It is just another blatent abuse of this site to earn yourself money - while everyone else posts comments to try and improve the sales thread - you ensure that your attempt at selling stays at the top by posting about your 'soul-packs' here - ensuring that it stays on the front page. :D

to use your own words IT JUST SUCKS

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

been running for a day

as said it is a member/user led thing

so if do have any thoughts/views on the "display"

main one really is is it an improvement!

ask please get them up

in 24 hours or so will look at things and decide if should take on this as the default display

thanks again

mike

main thrust is still the display, other concerns/comments(!) have been noted

last shout for any views on the "new" sorting order of display, before go firm....

Social source share

ROD

and that is exactly what people are now tending to do - selfish sods :thumbsup:

Social source share

Think it works better with the new system in place, my one concern which has already been mentioned by Rod and others is people starting a new thread to list individual records instead of putting them all into one thread.

Social source share

The problem of posting single 45s is a tricky one. There's been sales posts for single 45s ever since the beginning of the sales board, and I mainly post up (big or small) lists, but sometimes, for a big record, I just post it up individually too.

Maybe there should be a rule that allows sales topics for individual records if the value of said record exceeds a certain value. An example is the Magnetics record on Ra-Sel that was posted up for sale on here a while ago. It was posted in a seperate topic, but in my opinion fully deserved one.

On the other hand the individual listing of cheapo £20 or lower 45s and things like that just ruins it for all of us.

Social source share

I dont like the new display method. Quite simply the more bumps my list gets ie the nearer it gets to the top of the page, then the more records i sell, everyones a winner, me and the buyers. You have to remember a lot of people dont live on here like some people and may only visit once or twice a week and may only look at the first page.

What might help is to stop the people replying "PM`d you". Which is a total waste of time becuse the PMs come on screen as soon as we log on therefore we see them before we see the posts!

We all know which threads we have read and which we have`nt, just leave it as it is.

Now, organise the events talk thread in this way....I`d support that one!

Chris

Social source share

ROD

Agree, there are some on here with more then 1 record for sale that list them individually, this will push a lot of new sales off page 1.

can you also ask folk who list stuff in sales/wants to use both headers Mike so they can get in what it is they are selling/asking for, very time consuming going through something that just says "wanted" to find it,s a new white belt they are after :shades: !!

Ian.

Ian, Rod

looking at the more than 1 record issue now

yep ref wants, good point

i agree, plus there is at least one ebay sale in the regular sales section that should be in the ebay section

yep seperate section for ebay - it shouldnt be happening but does

would say not a major concern at moment ,though one to watch

I dont like the new display method. Quite simply the more bumps my list gets ie the nearer it gets to the top of the page, then the more records i sell, everyones a winner, me and the buyers. You have to remember a lot of people dont live on here like some people and may only visit once or twice a week and may only look at the first page.

What might help is to stop the people replying "PM`d you". Which is a total waste of time becuse the PMs come on screen as soon as we log on therefore we see them before we see the posts!

We all know which threads we have read and which we have`nt, just leave it as it is.

Now, organise the events talk thread in this way....I`d support that one!

Chris

Chris

think at point where some are bumping after 4 hours or less

and to me the "pm'd ya" posts are just no different than the bump ones

if did go for bumping = more sales so its ok, its natural progression would be all members can bump

which in theory could end up with a list showing purely the most bumped posts

eg the bumping has over took the posting

Social source share

ok after the trial gonna call it that adopt the display as the default format

(note any person who wishes to STILL use the old method can do so via the listing options on the bottom right of the index page)

concerns

a few concerns have been raised about the sales

1. single posts - already can see that members posting more than a few posts can have a effect

2. re-listing - listing of posts that have already been posted

3. re-pricing - listing of sales that have been re-priced

4. ebay - posts linking to ebay sales

5 ended - posts that contain sales no longer available

will post later ref these concerns

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!