Original Vinyl Only ?

Guest Leigh J

Well, once people don't care, it's all CD's soon. Nevermind the rare occasion of a Yum Yum!!

It won't be cd's at all because very few places have the facilities or want the facilities to play them. And very few people want to play them anyway, it's a vinyl based scene.

Me, I'd use a laptop with 30,00 songs on it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 391
  • Views 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

But if someone asks for it, you know the dj isn't going to have the original anyway, there's only about 5 copies of it, so it's a case of play the pressing and satisfy your customer i.e. the bloke who paid to get in, or don't play it and it'll never get heard anywhere.

Though in the case of The Inticers, that's not actually a bad thing.

:thumbsup: ,some records should be played in the privacy of you own home.ie - boots.

Social source share

What if someone put a full colour absolutely perfect photocopy of an original over the top of a Stardust pressing to make it look like an original, and nobody could tell even if looking over the decks. I ask you once again, what difference does it make to the sound thats coming out of the speakers? It seems the only thing that a lot of you want is for the dj's playing these records to go to confessional and pray for forgiveness for playing reissues.

Get over it, it's supposed to be about having fun and enjoying music.

Apparently people do that Pete. :thumbup:

Folk get what they want out of the soul scene. And rightly so!

That said, for me it is about integrity. And for me that means ovo. Boring I know.

Integrity might mean something completely different to someone else.

Anyway, pressing and bootleg is soooo yesterday. I think FAUX sounds so much better :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

How?

THEY SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME.

I can't ever remember going home from a venue and saying "Well that was a great night but it was ruined for me when somebody played a reissue, completely bought the night down and ruined the evening, damn those reissues"

They dont sound the same , I can tell a Salvadors or a Mell Britt boot from the car park .

Going back to Ted Masseys spot that I mentioned earlier , I knew that they were all proper records , I was buzzing , I would never feel the same If I knew they were boots.

Social source share

Dear Me, all this does it matter, does it not?

Well, YES IT DOES.

Nobody has yet mentioned the damage caused by people with egos bigger than their record collection starting up nights offering nothing new but the same tired old same old top fifty records being played to death.

And why are most of us moaning about the same records being played, it's because these tw*ts have little or no imagination to go out and find good cheap originals to play.

Furthermore I am convinced these "Classic" nights are largely started by folk with no history playing to people who never went anywhere to understand what this scene is all about, I believe that they really don't have a love or understanding of what SOUL is all about, all they are interested in is having their backs slapped and egos massaged so they can strut about like the Superstar Dance Floor warriors they believe themselves to be, oh and the door takings are quite nice too.

When you have places like, let's say Bury, having to close because because Billy No Taste has started a Classic night down the road, diluting the crowds so much that REAL nights can get the customers in to remain viable then, yes OVO matters.

I've said it before, if you can't afford the originals you employ DJ's that CAN!.

And anyway this "ooh, I can't afford to shell out 1000's of pounds for original tunes " is just utter f*cking bullshit.

If you REALLY want to play to the floor put a set of Motown originals together or get off your f*cking arse and look for tunes instead of riding on the back of people who HAVE done the homework and know a bit about the music to play the originals of the pressings that you now lovingly embrace, these would be the Collectors that it is now OK to look down your nose at.

Here's an hours worth of originals that I have bought and played out in the last 12 months. Most were between £10 and £20, the dearest was £40, see if you can spot it.

B.B. King-The Hurt

Nate Holmes- Still on My Mind

Willie Harper-But I Couldn't

Oscar Toney Jr-Turn On Your Love Ligt

Billy Butler- Burning Touch of Love

Charlie Hodges-What's Gonna Happen to Me

Lou Rawls -Breaking My Back

Cash McCall- I'm in Danger

DuShons- You Better Think It Over

Gene Burks- You Got It

Jean & Joe- Don't Shoot Me Down

Lee Rogers- Go Go Girl

Frank Frost- My Back Scratcher

DeVons- Someone to Treat Me

Linda Jones- I Can't stop Lovin My Baby

Chosen Few- Birth of a Playboy

Madeline Bell- Don't Come Running to Me

Carol Fran- I'm Gonna Try

Benny Gordon- A Kiss to Build a Dream On

Mark V-Gone

Vontastics- Never Let Your Love Grow Cold

Irma & The Fascinators-Lost Love

Freddie Scott- I'll be Gone

Kenneth & Delroy-Let Me Hold You Close

Superiors-I'd Rather Die

Johnny Griffith- Do It.

(Don't get many bookings though :thumbsup: )

The tunes are out there in the 1000's, just get out and look!

I find that I don't go out much, nowadays I can only think of 2 ( not including allnighters) that's worth the effort.

Any way, rant over.

Keep The Faith?

" nah, if THAT'S the Faith- You can keep it!!!"

Love, Peace and Understanding

Tony

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Says the voice of someone who must have gone deaf if thats what you think about the huge number of quality £5 records.

75% of big records started off as unknown cheepies , keep searchin mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

It won't be cd's at all because very few places have the facilities or want the facilities to play them. And very few people want to play them anyway, it's a vinyl based scene.

Me, I'd use a laptop with 30,00 songs on it. :thumbsup:

The good think is once we get hit by an Electrical Storm lots of data will be lost. Dooom :thumbup: The End of the World but dem platters survived :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Yippie decks are mechanical!!!

Sorry I changed my mind!! Please can all of you sell your vinyl at the same time!! Don't bother with OV0!! It sucks big time!! It's just the music that counts!! Allways buy Leeweis!!! Don't go to an art exhibition!!!

Social source share

Dear Me, all this does it matter, does it not?

Well, YES IT DOES.

Nobody has yet mentioned the damage caused by people with egos bigger than their record collection starting up nights offering nothing new but the same tired old same old top fifty records being played to death.

And why are most of us moaning about the same records being played, it's because these tw*ts have little or no imagination to go out and find good cheap originals to play.

Furthermore I am convinced these "Classic" nights are largely started by folk with no history playing to people who never went anywhere to understand what this scene is all about, I believe that they really don't have a love or understanding of what SOUL is all about, all they are interested in is having their backs slapped and egos massaged so they can strut about like the Superstar Dance Floor warriors they believe themselves to be, oh and the door takings are quite nice too.

When you have places like, let's say Bury, having to close because because Billy No Taste has started a Classic night down the road, diluting the crowds so much that REAL nights can get the customers in to remain viable then, yes OVO matters.

I've said it before, if you can't afford the originals you employ DJ's that CAN!.

And anyway this "ooh, I can't afford to shell out 1000's of pounds for original tunes " is just utter f*cking bullshit.

If you REALLY want to play to the floor put a set of Motown originals together or get off your f*cking arse and look for tunes instead of riding on the back of people who HAVE done the homework and know a bit about the music to play the originals of the pressings that you now lovingly embrace, these would be the Collectors that it is now OK to look down your nose at.

Here's an hours worth of originals that I have bought and played out in the last 12 months. Most were between £10 and £20, the dearest was £40, see if you can spot it.

B.B. King-The Hurt

Nate Holmes- Still on My Mind

Willie Harper-But I Couldn't

Oscar Toney Jr-Turn On Your Love Ligt

Billy Butler- Burning Touch of Love

Charlie Hodges-What's Gonna Happen to Me

Lou Rawls -Breaking My Back

Cash McCall- I'm in Danger

DuShons- You Better Think It Over

Gene Burks- You Got It

Jean & Joe- Don't Shoot Me Down

Lee Rogers- Go Go Girl

Frank Frost- My Back Scratcher

DeVons- Someone to Treat Me

Linda Jones- I Can't stop Lovin My Baby

Chosen Few- Birth of a Playboy

Madeline Bell- Don't Come Running to Me

Carol Fran- I'm Gonna Try

Benny Gordon- A Kiss to Build a Dream On

Mark V-Gone

Vontastics- Never Let Your Love Grow Cold

Irma & The Fascinators-Lost Love

Freddie Scott- I'll be Gone

Kenneth & Delroy-Let Me Hold You Close

Superiors-I'd Rather Die

Johnny Griffith- Do It.

(Don't get many bookings though :thumbsup: )

The tunes are out there in the 1000's, just get out and look!

I find that I don't go out much, nowadays I can only think of 2 ( not including allnighters) that's worth the effort.

Any way, rant over.

Keep The Faith?

" nah, if THAT'S the Faith- You can keep it!!!"

Love, Peace and Understanding

Tony

Probably the Chosen Few or The Devonnes.

You're making the point but missing it at the same time. Why do you think these classic oldies nights do so well? It's because that's what the majority of people want to hear - they want to hear records that remind them of when they were young and are not interested in hearing newies and unknowns. That's a fact, it's not an opinion. I went to one of these so called Northern Soul & Motown do's that they hold in our village every 3 months, it was rammed, and it was terrible, I've never been since because I personally do not want to hear Do I Love You and The Night, however, the other 300 people in there really did want to hear them. And who am I to slag them off?

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

That's because 40 years ago £5 was worth £100 now.

There must still be stuff out there Pete , Thats my point , good records still waiting to be played ,

Social source share

There must still be stuff out there Pete , Thats my point , good records still waiting to be played ,

Leigh I am sitting here waiting for the Wolves match to come on and I haven't got anything else to do apart from contemplate going to KFC so apaologies if I join in this topic too often!

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Leigh I am sitting here waiting for the Wolves match to come on and I haven't got anything else to do apart from contemplate going to KFC so apaologies if I join in this topic too often!

Any topic is better with you in them Pete :thumbsup:

Social source share

Fair enough Pete, I can't be bothered to argue with you mate too busy in the garden mate...now where's me original Hamilton paint brush, had it since 1971 you know....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Always been a "Harris" fan myself - have to look out for them "Hamilton's" :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I'm sorry Leigh, that is the equivalent of a bootleg.

It is original refosoul only on here! :thumbsup:

Sorry for calling you Lee, Leigh.

Dont worry I get called a lot worse :thumbup:

Social source share

In the not so distant future a certain record by Frank Wilson may be leaving these shores - but it will not be the last time people dance to this tune at a venue near you - a copy/bootleg/re-issue/cassette/ DAT/Laptop/Minidisc/Memory Stick/Acetate or even an 8 track of "Do I Love You" will fill dance floors many more times than any "quality original £10 cheapie - that should be played "ever will. - FACT !!

Social source share

In the not so distant future a certain record by Frank Wilson may be leaving these shores - but it will not be the last time people dance to this tune at a venue near you - a copy/bootleg/re-issue/cassette/ DAT/Laptop/Minidisc/Memory Stick/Acetate or even an 8 track of "Do I Love You" will fill dance floors many more times than any "quality original £10 cheapie - that should be played "ever will. - FACT !!

Marvin gaye tammi terrell has achieved more "floor packing" than Frank Wilson surely ?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Marvin gaye tammi terrell has achieved more floor packing than Frank Wilson surely ?

Think Frank Wilson has seen more "Spencer's Action" than any other tune ever played - even gets played at Student Gigs - my son told me !!!

Social source share

Think Frank Wilson has seen more "Spencer's Action" than any other tune ever played - even gets played at Student Gigs - my son told me !!!

yeah my mate plays it at "Cheese" gigs alongside Andy Williams . But Im sure cheaper tunes ram dancefloors worldwide even more ?

Social source share

if i play my copy of Frank Beverley on the 'Sassy' label at a local soul night, will i get condemned to hell because its not original ?

.........and cast into the fiery depths, to the very bowels of the earth,and be condemned forever to listen to "Nine times out of ten", on repeat.

Social source share

yeah my mate plays it at "Cheese" gigs alongside Andy Williams . But Im sure cheaper tunes ram dancefloors worldwide even more ?

"The Hokey Cokey", "Auld Lang Syne" & not forgetting "Dancing Queen" by Abba are tunes that fill dancefloors worldwide !!!

Social source share

Probably the Chosen Few or The Devonnes.

You're making the point but missing it at the same time. Why do you think these classic oldies nights do so well? It's because that's what the majority of people want to hear - they want to hear records that remind them of when they were young and are not interested in hearing newies and unknowns. That's a fact, it's not an opinion. I went to one of these so called Northern Soul & Motown do's that they hold in our village every 3 months, it was rammed, and it was terrible, I've never been since because I personally do not want to hear Do I Love You and The Night, however, the other 300 people in there really did want to hear them. And who am I to slag them off?

Neither of those actually.

But to return to your point, I AM NOT ANTI OLDIES!

I AM ANTI PRESSINGS!

If someone wants to put on a night of classic oldies, fair play, all that I require is that they be real.

As I said people playing FAKES are not providing a service they do it in the first instance either for the money, or to massage their own ego's.

There are plenty of DJ's out there that have got the real deal, so why resort to FAKES if your main interest is not one of the above?????

As I've said, all that happens is the crowd gets divided and venues with the correct. imho, outlook suffer because people with no respect believe that they can get away with playing any old format because the sheep don't look up.

Tony

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

"The Hokey Cokey", "Auld Lang Syne" & not forgetting "Dancing Queen" by Abba are tunes that fill dancefloors worldwide !!!

After 20 pints, and a bottle of buckfast, i resemble that genious! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

if everyone can play boots and carvers and it's all ok.....then we might as well ALL be dj's,but then who wants to go to a venue and hear all the tunes you've already got at home on carvers and boots.....if ya ain't got the tunes rare or otherwise......FOOK OFF.....it's funny how all the wannabe's who do play boots and carvers and think it's fine and dandy.........WON'T COME ON HERE AND ANNOUNCE THEY DO WITH PRIDE.....why?......cause they have shame and are ashamed........so come on lets have ya

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

That's what I meant also :thumbsup:

it IS actually whats in the grooves that count.

The bottom line to all this is - local soul do's, play off anything, upfront events, play originals. Simple.

Dont like cd,s its a vinyl thing but where would frank wilson be without eddie foster, the tamla reissue (v,collectable) We all collect to our pocket its nice to see originals on the decks but its these little venues that keep the scene ticking over not everybody does nighters.and big venues

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

This may come across as strange, but stick with me. i had at my house, people at my school who were "punk rockers" when young. i played the old classics on the c.d. player, i was first up dancing, followed by the "punks"! i used to fight with them in the late 70's, and now they have "came round"!

YA, WE WERE DRUNK- SO WHAT! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

if everyone can play boots and carvers and it's all ok.....then we might as well ALL be dj's,but then who wants to go to a venue and hear all the tunes you've already got at home on carvers and boots.....if ya ain't got the tunes rare or otherwise......FOOK OFF.....it's funny how all the wannabe's who do play boots and carvers and think it's fine and dandy.........WON'T COME ON HERE AND ANNOUNCE THEY DO WITH PRIDE.....why?......cause they have shame and are ashamed........so come on lets have ya

I AGREE. THOUGH WHAT HAPPENED TO RICHARD SEARLING? MONEY? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Its always been done , but never as much as it is now , I witnessed a 'DJ' plug a Cd player into the decks not too long back to play two rare tracks that were owned by a proper DJ that was on an hour later :thumbup:

Trouble is people lie.

I made a comment about a venue I used to attend where the residents play boots etc and the promoter just barefaced denyed it. Even though both him and another dj there braggs about the fact he doesnt give a s**t what format the music is played on.

Trust me if you 'out' people you will make more enemies than friends. The people who attend this do will shout ovo on here but in reality obviously dont care. I don't attend anymore but I an in a minority of one! (Well 2 if you count the other half!! lol)

Helen

Yet again 2 more alleged venues, with no names to them. Why not just name them? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Anyone with records is a dj nowadays - I preferred it back in the old days when the dj's were a league apart from us mere mortals.

Last time I dj'd anywhere I played both The Ster-Phonics and Court Davis off carvers, I had the originals, sold them, made copies for myself, nobody complained and if they had I'd have told them to get a life.

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Yet again 2 more alleged venues, with no names to them. Why not just name them? :thumbsup:

I did Ian and am still paying the price plus they denyed it like i said.

I get enough grief out as it is without courting more. My point is that it is quite common knowledge and fairly well respected Dj's guest there which goes to show that for all the shouting on here most people really dont care if it means taking sides or making a stand or heaven forbid losing a spot!

Same old thing really and one of the reasons I am becoming totally disolutioned with the scene at the moment.

Helen

Edited by outonthefloor
Social source share

This may come across as strange, but stick with me. i had at my house, people at my school who were "punk rockers" when young. i played the old classics on the c.d. player, i was first up dancing, followed by the "punks"! i used to fight with them in the late 70's, and now they have "came round"!

YA, WE WERE DRUNK- SO WHAT! :P

Which, I would submit, would reinforce my pet theory that those who insist on Oldies only, in whatever format, cos them's Real Northen Soul !, were never on the scene in the first place, have no history never went anywhere to experience the sounds in their full glory, but know PROPPA NORVERN cos it's in the book, on the CD on You Tube and Ive just bought me Beer Towel and Baggies thumbsup.gif

Tony

Social source share

Anyone with records is a dj nowadays - I preferred it back in the old days when the dj's were a league apart from us mere mortals.

Last time I dj'd anywhere I played both The Ster-Phonics and Court Davis off carvers, I had the originals, sold them, made copies for myself, nobody complained and if they had I'd have told them to get a life.

There's still a "league apart" Pete.The top dj's still exist.Dj's who folk will travel for.

There's also "record spinners" with a lot of knowledge to share,whats wrong with that.?.How are others going to carry on the tradition without being given a chance?

As for being a dj...thats a different subject. biggrin.gif .

Social source share

I know we or talking of OVO but what about a UK issue of a record are those allowed to be played at a night I personally find UK stuff far more intresting than US.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

f*** me Davie

thats a bit strong :P:thumbup:

couldnt have put it better myself.. unsure.gif NICE ONE

gasher

thing is richie , those of us in scotland that do need to say so , if only not to be associated with those that don't :ohmy:

Social source share

thing is richie , those of us in scotland that do need to say so , if only not to be associated with those that don't biggrin.gif

as someone who travels a bit round scottish venues and am not a record collector or DJ could you expand on your statement a bit more

obviously, some in scotland do and some dont ?

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

as someone who travels a bit round scottish venues and am not a record collector or DJ could you expand on your statement a bit more

obviously, some in scotland do and some dont ?

Wear Kilts ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert