Original Vinyl Only ?

Guest Leigh J

Guest Leigh J

I have noticed this on event flyers more & more lately , I believe that it should never have come to this , not when there are hundreds of DJ's and collecters with proper records willing to do a spot.

Should venues that play pressings state the fact that they do this on there flyers ?

A mate of mine has a brilliant collection he DJ's very rarely and another who 'Dj's' every other week with pressings, I reckon promoters should be held responsible for this and stop letting mates do a spot and leave it to them that are serious about there vinyl.

I realise that some will think this is all about 'politics' and give the old argument that you dont need to take it so seriously , but i do take my music seriously and so do most on here.

What do you reckon ?

Social source share

• Replies 391
  • Views 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See one of the 500 other threads about this topic, and the stalemate that ensues.

Social source share

I have noticed this on event flyers more & more lately , I believe that it should never have come to this , not when there are hundreds of DJ's and collecters with proper records willing to do a spot.

Should venues that play pressings state the fact that they do this on there flyers ?

A mate of mine has a brilliant collection he DJ's very rarely and another who 'Dj's' every other week with pressings, I reckon promoters should be held responsible for this and stop letting mates do a spot and leave it to them that are serious about there vinyl.

I realise that some will think this is all about 'politics' and give the old argument that you dont need to take it so seriously , but i do take my music seriously and so do most on here.

What do you reckon ?

Interesting point. It's about time we considered this issue on here.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

R

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

G

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

H

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See one of the 500 other threads about this topic, and the stalemate that ensues.

Then why reply ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

[

For venue-goers my suggestion is if you don't like a policy on playing pressings then either don't go that venue or don't dance to the DJ playing them.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

What do you reckon ?

Hits the nail on the head for me.

But agree, this subject has been done to death. Originals only - end of!

John.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Hits the nail on the head for me.

But agree, this subject has been done to death. Originals only - end of!

John.

If venues advertise as Original Vinyl Only should venues state that they they dont ?

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Ok. No point talking to people with no sense of humour or concept of civility.

All yours mate :lol:

Civility ?? you were the one taking the piss !

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

do a search on OVO and all your questions will be answered

might want to set aside the rest of april to read it though

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

if they play pressings,boots carvers and cd's and are happy doing so.....then let the punters pay to get in using monopoly money ......if one is ok then so should the other kfc tezza :lol::lol: ........how about just naming dj's and venues that allow this sort of practise......instead of just moaning about it :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Yes, but they never would, would they? Word of mouth helps but then the politics you mention comes back into play.

Its always been done , but never as much as it is now , I witnessed a 'DJ' plug a Cd player into the decks not too long back to play two rare tracks that were owned by a proper DJ that was on an hour later :lol:

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

if they play pressings,boots carvers and cd's and are happy doing so.....then let the punters pay to get in using monopoly money ......if one is ok then so should the other kfc tezza :lol::lol:

:lol: well said !

Social source share

Same old disscusions on this I dont think we will all agree on this sort of disscusion. My feeling on it is you go to a little local do and someones playing second issues fine so long as it aint on CD I dont mind but a big top allnighter or whatever you've payed good money then YES OVO.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Same old disscusions on this I dont think we will all agree on this sort of thing. My feeling on it is you go to a little local do and someones playing second issues fine so long as it aint on CD I dont mind but a big top allnighter or whatever you've payed good money then YES OVO.

Fair enough but this is not confined to local local nites , and why not let the people who have the proper records play em ?

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Ok. No point talking to people with no sense of humour or concept of civility.

All yours mate :lol:

Godzilla after reading this i take it you do not know Leigh!

I recomend if you find out your in the same venue, make time to meet the guy he realy is very civill.

Steve J

Social source share

Fair enough but this is not confined to local local nites , and why not let the people who have the proper records play em ?

Yeah fair point. As regard to the local nights what about if You got a young lad coming into the scene who's started collecting and taking a real intrest in the music and he wants to have a bash DJ'ing and he approches the guy who's do it is and he say's ( I'm sorry mate you cant DJ because you aint got OV because your Lou Prides the second issue not a first Issue because your labels the wrong shade of blue or the matrix numbers not stamped) in I mean come on. I think at the end of the day We all started some where. Myself included I came into It at 15/16 and my first ever DJ spot was at the Athletic club at Mexbrough and I had the balls to go up a and ask John Hincliffe to do a spot he said yes and the first record I played was Betty O'brian she'll be gone on stardust records. no one put me down for it because it wasn't real the where Impressed that a young man wanted to DJ and learn about the music. I have OV and second issues I aint ashamed to admit it.

I do understand there needs to be standards set on the scene but the average joe like me I cant afford big money tunes at £1000 or whatever but I will buy to what my budget will allow. so like I say we all have to start some where.

P.S. I dont really class myself as a DJ more of a soul music fan passionate about music who likes to spin a few .

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

When advertised if it does not state somewhere that it is an OVO event then I would assume that their music policy allows pressings etc to be played. So no need for an opposite to OVO on flyers IMHO.

you usually find that the very venues that advertise OVO are just the one's that don't give a hoot,it's just used in a lot of cases as a marketing ploy (if they were honest they would'nt need one).The fact is those on this scene that really care know which venues play ovo and which to avoid

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Yeah fair point. As regard to the local nights what about if You got a young lad coming into the scene who's started collecting and taking a real intrest in the music and he wants to have a bash DJ'ing and he approches the guy who's do it is and he say's ( I'm sorry mate you cant DJ because you aint got OV because your Lou Prides the second issue not a first Issue because your labels the wrong shade of blue or the matrix numbers not stamped) in I mean come on. I think at the end of the day We all started some where. Myself included I came into It at 15/16 and my first ever DJ spot was at the Athletic club at Mexbrough and I had the balls to go up a and ask John Hincliffe to do a spot he said yes and the first record I played was Betty O'brian she'll be gone on stardust records. no one put me down for it because it wasn't real the where Impressed that a young man wanted to DJ and learn about the music. I have OV and second issues I aint ashamed to admit it.

I do understand there needs to be standards set on the scene but the average joe like me I cant afford big money tunes at £1000 or whatever but I will buy to what my budget will allow. so like I say we all have to start some where.

P.S. I dont really class myself as a DJ more of a soul music fan passionate about music who likes to spin a few .

You used to have to 'do your time' before you got your chance , Butch was around for years playing collector spots etc.... people like Chris Anderton and Carl Fortnum spent hours searching through thousands of boxes building their collections , Simon Hunt has an amazing collection , you rarely see his name anywhere.

I cant afford £100 tunes let alone £1000 tunes but there are people who can , I suppose that opens up another argument about cheque book collectors !!!!!!

The best oldies spot I have heard in Years was Ted Massey recently , pure quality from start to finish all on the right labels , if you have an oldies night book him .

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Godzilla after reading this i take it you do not know Leigh!

I recomend if you find out your in the same venue, make time to meet the guy he realy is very civill.

Steve J

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yes we all start somewhere but why buy crappy reissues when there are thousands of quality originals for under a tenner? I bought Cliff Nobles - Gettin Away for $9 the other day, brilliant gritty 60s instrumental. Cheap original vinyl and a quality tune. There are many others. The 'I can't afford originals' argument doesn't wash.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

now as some of you know i'm not the most easy going whenit comes to this question so for me it's this easy .....

you play originals or you deserve to have your genitals attached to a car battery with croocodile clips ...and don't DARE call yourself a DJ cos you're not , you're a charlatan and a fake

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Yes we all start somewhere but why buy crappy reissues when there are thousands of quality originals for under a tenner? I bought Cliff Nobles - Gettin Away for $9 the other day, brilliant gritty 60s instrumental. Cheap original vinyl and a quality tune. There are many others. The 'I can't afford originals' argument doesn't wash.

Guy Hennigan never payed big money for records for a start ( I know he bought a few later) it was all about searching out unknown or semi known records as it was with me and also Matt , thats what NS has always been about for me.

I wouldnt have minded a Soul Inc but never had that kind of money to spend on records,

There are records out there thousands of em and with the internet its easier to track them down than it was.

Social source share

In my opinion, if people go around playing boots etc, it's an insult to the DJ's who have spent both time and their hard earned readies in securing the original recordings. Was at Desborough a couple of years back when one of the earlier jocks played Bobby Rich (not on original vinyl) Mick H was on the same bill later in the evening, and was well annoyed. I guess he planned to spin it. Anyway the original jock started ranting over the mike about not having the money to buy the original. Well embarassing :lol:

Social source share

FFS. Someone tell me this is a wind up? PLEASE. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

FFS. Someone tell me this is a wind up? PLEASE. :lol:

I had a Betty o Brian as an unknown I played it at the Salutation Inn in Coventry (Remember the Salutation Joan?) one Thursday night and everyone said it was shit !

Correction it was Glyn Reardons copy !!

Edited by Leigh J
Social source share

you usually find that the very venues that advertise OVO are just the one's that don't give a hoot,it's just used in a lot of cases as a marketing ploy (if they were honest they would'nt need one).The fact is those on this scene that really care know which venues play ovo and which to avoid

you are spot on mr darcy , if a venue states that they are ovo only the promoter should stick to their word

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

In my opinion, if people go around playing boots etc, it's an insult to the DJ's who have spent both time and their hard earned readies in securing the original recordings. Was at Desborough a couple of years back when one of the earlier jocks played Bobby Rich (not on original vinyl) Mick H was on the same bill later in the evening, and was well annoyed. I guess he planned to spin it. Anyway the original jock started ranting over the mike about not having the money to buy the original. Well embarassing :lol:

good old TOMMY :lol: ......If you ain't got the tunes keep away from the decks......Sadly a maxim cast aside by 85% of err dee jays...better known as WANNABEZ :shades::huh::yes::lol:

Social source share

I always associate boots etc., with a time when i didn't know any better,or had the money to seek out OV.

Time marches on ( :lol: ),you live and learn.

In the end the Rare/Northern scene is about the prize,the buzz,opening a record mailer to find an original 45 you've took time to find,negotiate, and pay for with your hard earned.Then if you're lucky enough ,to get to play them out with some pride.

Not filling your box with two bit,badly recorded (in some cases),tunes that most people in the room would know you couldn't possibly own.

Fool the fool?. Maybe. Don't care - more like.

btw...just bought the Mona Lisa (see avatar).

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

If venues advertise as Original Vinyl Only should venues state that they they dont ?

Definitely, i personally would not attend a venue that plays pressings or god forbid cds..Andy.

Social source share

f*** me Davie

thats a bit strong :lol::lol:

couldnt have put it better myself.. :lol: NICE ONE

gasher

now as some of you know i'm not the most easy going whenit comes to this question so for me it's this easy .....

you play originals or you deserve to have your genitals attached to a car battery with croocodile clips ...and don't DARE call yourself a DJ cos you're not , you're a charlatan and a fake

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Better still attach em to the mains and tell em to stand in the bath. :lol:

Social source share

Better still attach em to the mains and tell em to stand in the bath. :thumbsup:

IMVFHO if you play counterfeit records as a DJ at a genuine rare soul do you should be ashamed of yourself.

I have less of a problem with legitimate issues of previously unreleased stuff.

One of the things that grips me about the Northern and rare soul scene is the exclusivity and rarity - the authenticity. It's all about the genuine article. A DJ playing counterfeits is NOT the genuine article - you are only cheating yourself as the old saying goes.

Nothing wrong with a bit of elitism if it is in a positive spirit - it's good to aspire to be different, and even better than the norm IMO.

Counterfeits have their place in no nonsense local dos, but not at proper rare soul venues.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

good old TOMMY laugh.gif ......If you ain't got the tunes keep away from the decks......Sadly a maxim cast aside by 85% of err dee jays...better known as WANNABEZ :P:D:D:lol:

Sadly so called people in the know cast asperstions on what people have or have not got in their collections , with no apparent knowledge, Northern Soul Snob Comes to mind !! Anyway this detracts from the original thread rolleyes.gif:P:D:lol:

Social source share

I can't speak for dj's because I'm not one.........but I truely only enjoy listening to OGs at home. I would for sure prefer to hear a nice and beat up copy that is original compared to a minty re-ish. Anyway....dead horse and all......

Social source share

OK!

I've Been up and down the country for decades supporting venues, danced on dozens of dance floors, but NEVER asked a dj what format a tune is on ohmy.gif

Couldn't give a fig biggrin.gif

I used to, many years ago, but now I couldn't give a fig either. If you aren't looking over the decks you just cannot know if it's an original. a pressing or a cd.

Social source share

It's what's in the groove that count's........yeh right just as long as the groove is authentic, anything less is taking the piss, so don't make excuses or dress short cut DJ'ing up, if you can't stand the heat then stay out of the fucking kitchen simple as that.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

The first part is correct - the second metaphor doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and it's not like you to swear ohmy.gif

Social source share

It's what's in the groove that count's........yeh right just as long as the groove is authentic, anything less is taking the piss, so don't make excuses or dress short cut DJ'ing up, if you can't stand the heat then stay out of the fucking kitchen simple as that.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

It's actually how many are in the venue - how many people there are on the dancefloor & how many people are enjoying themselves - that's what counts - because that is what realistically keeps the scene going.

Matrix numbers & runout grooves never got people on a dancefloor - think you will find the sound coming out of the speakers ultimately does that.

Social source share

It's actually how many are in the venue - how many people there are on the dancefloor & how many people are enjoying themselves - that's what counts - because that is what realistically keeps the scene going.

Matrix numbers & runout grooves never got people on a dancefloor - think you will find the sound coming out of the speakers ultimately does that.

That's what I meant also laugh.gif

it IS actually whats in the grooves that count.

The bottom line to all this is - local soul do's, play off anything, upfront events, play originals. Simple.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert