Original Vinyl Only ?

Guest Leigh J

for the benefit of some , and me actually . what exactly is a boot/pressing and why should we care ? im not being sarcastic by the way

It's an illegal copy of a rare item, pressed to look similar to the original but not sold as an original (thats known as a counterfeit). A boot/press costs between £1 and £20 in general whereas the original of the same record could be worth £1000. What they are saying is that people who buy these boots and play them when DJing are cheating the public because they are not playing the original record or putting the time in to search for that original.

This is, of course, despite the fact that they do actually sound the same.

Social source share

• Replies 391
  • Views 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest dundeedavie

How about if Dj's didnt play at venues where boots were played. Wouldnt that then police its self? Surely it tarnishes their name to be associated with the venues that condone it?

the levels of ego and narcissism are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to high with these people for that

Social source share

Hi Kev. Picked on the Attic and Burton as I know both your policies of integrity mate, without doubt you won't see pressings - sorry if that didn't come across mucker thumbsup.gif

Take your point on pitching your night, a nightmare since the emergence of the Nostalgia Scene in recent years but to me Rare Soul is Northern Soul, we never differentiated in the 70s and 80s: Searling, Butch, Kitch, Rob Marriot, Guy, Keb, Jim Wensiora, Colin Law, Ady etc etc were and in some cases still are Northern Soul Djs in my view.

Perhaps Jocko is right, maybe it's time to let the nostalgia scene have the Northern tag, even though they've done little to deserve it IMO.

:lol:

Social source share

Oh no! Lots of bootlegging going on from the early days! Apparantly the mob was 'investing' in those activities. Arnold Shaw (music executive & producer of R&B) wrote a fantastic book in 1978 about R&B ''Honkers and Shouters'' (from the blues craze of the 20#s until Billboard ceased publication of its R&B charts) Many records which went big in one part of the country would struggle to sell in another because of ''heavy bootlegging'' especially in the 50`s!!

'' It was heavy in those days -the bootleggers got me for another million. The reason I know is that in New Orleans the record wasn't selling. We couldn't figure it out. Everywhere else we had tremendous sales. The answer was the bootleggers were shipping it in from Chicago. The Mob had a setup in Chicago-they caught them at the time -in a great, big colonial house. It was stripped from basement to attic and loaded with records, coming in from Cincinnati by bus. It was not just my record, but everybody's label: Andy Williams and The Everly Brothers on Archie Bleyer's Label:Chess Records Columbia , Epic, youi name it. They were bootleggin everybody.''

Also, in 1945 disk were selling for $ 0,75-1,5 BOOTS for $ 10 !!!!

Because of the demand for Joe Liggins ''The Honeydripper'' in the midwest, Pullman porters would take records to Chicago from Los Angeles and bootleg them at ten!! dollars a disk!!!

First time a bootleg was more expensive then the original??

New topic oldest bootleg??!!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

to stand behind a set of 10 year old Technics with damaged styli and an overweighted tonearm blasting the odd original Top 500 45 amongst a set of bootlegs out of underpowered ProLine speakers.....crack on chaps. ENJOY.

in all honesty, i see this happen regardless of venue. time and time again venues are let down by poor PA systems and even worse EQ settings. sorry to go off topic a little but can you promoters/DJ's whoever sort out the EQ? cymbals are recorded onto the master tapes but i can never hear them coming out of speakers :lol: . same goes for string sections, tambourines etc. most seem to be all bass and mid frequencies, give em some clarity, get the high frequency horns above head height, keep the bass on the deck

IAN (sound engineer and drummer in bands) :lol:

p.s. rant over whistling.gif

pps Grosvenor rooms have a stonking clear PA

Edited by IanP
Social source share

It's an illegal copy of a rare item, pressed to look similar to the original but not sold as an original (thats known as a counterfeit). A boot/press costs between £1 and £20 in general whereas the original of the same record could be worth £1000. What they are saying is that people who buy these boots and play them when DJing are cheating the public because they are not playing the original record or putting the time in to search for that original.

No doubt you will all ridicule me for saying this, but I feel you are not only cheating the public but also yourself.

Where is the integrity in playing bootlegs?

Social source share

No doubt you will all ridicule me for saying this, but I feel you are not only cheating the public but also yourself.

there is none and I quite agree with you Joan..100000000000000000000000000%

but no doubt Im just being a soul snob and not allowed an opinion

or Im sure someone will tell me that.

good call JJ

gasher

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Someone once interpreted integrity as

"Doing the right thing even when no one is looking"

You are exactly right Joan.

And isn't part of paying a DJ so that they can enhance their collateral and come back and thrill the crowd even more?

Social source share

im ovo only ,the way it should be.

£5 or £5,000 i dont mind as long as its a great tune.

what i dont like.

is people i know who collected dearer & rarer ov's than ive ever had.left the scene for years then come bak & say ovo collectors are snobs.

like an ex smoker kinda thing.

Social source share

So what about playing a legal reissue of a record out then. is that a allowed even if the record is the same label shade and looks the same and everything. is this allowed ?

Social source share

The value of a bootleg is £0.00! Why would anyone want to buy one!

So if you saw one in a junk shop you would just leave it so it got chucked in the bin or buy it and flog it on so at least someone could have pleasure from it.

Social source share

The loudest shouters though are usually other 'DJs" who think they are being shortchanged in that THEY should be playing the same 55 records as theirs are OVO! :rolleyes:

I agree with whoever made the comment (Pete S?), that years ago you knew who the real DJs were and everyone else was just a 'putteronerofrekkids'.

That's 'cos there weren't any oldies DJ's in the early 70's - I think Dave Evison was pretty much the first and then Mr M's established the Oldies thing. So there was really no Oldies/Nostalgia scene for the majority. The people who played pressings back then were like local DJ's who were holding a Northern night in a pub on a Tuesday night. Everyone else was trying to break new records or playing established ones that hadn't yet been bootlegged. So you're right Dave. Everyone absolutely knew who the real DJ's were because the 'real' DJ's didn't tend to play oldies.

Difficult these days. It's like the old Northern/Modern split except this time it's Oldies/Top 500/Crowd Pleaser/Nostalgia versus Rare/Northern/RnB/Doo-Wop/Crossover etc.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the incredible popularity of the bootlegs to the core audience sales-wise. The Northern Soul scene have always bought them in droves - that's why they're still here some 40 years later since the original Soul Sounds pressings in the late 60's. So whatever preaching there is about O.V.O. it doesn't seem to ever stop people bootlegging 'em or, perhaps worse, the same audience buying 'em. The message has been missed somewhere along the line by the looks of it.

If it's O.V.O. all the way, then shouldn't bootlegs be banned everywhere? Venues, dealers, magazines, shops etc, etc. And would people actually stop buying 'em?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

"Love You Baby" - Eddie Parker on Ashford is acceptable.

"Love You Baby" - Eddie Parker on Googa Mooga - acceptable or not ?

Yep, of course. It was a legitimate issue. Anyone who thinks it wouldn't be aceptable would have to disqualify every original U.K. pressing of every U.S. Northern Soul release on the same basis surely?

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

Is the Modern soul scene the same ?

Thankfully, in the main, no. I do the majority of my sets from CDR's of my own tunes and whilst I get asked constantly what I'm playing as I generally play fairly new stuff for the most part, nobody has ever made an issue of me playing off a CDR, I just tell them what it is and they're generally happy. If format was an issue, I honestly don't think I'd bother DJ'ing at all.

Funnily enough though, one time at a weekender I was following a 'big name' and he played a CDR of a track that I'd sent him on mp3 whereas I had the real CD in my playbox ready to play!! Oooooh, I were right mad I were!! :rolleyes:

Actually I wasn't, I had a laugh with him about it and just chose another one to play. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yep, of course. It was a legitimate issue. Anyone who thinks it wouldn't be aceptable would have to disqualify every original U.K. pressing of every U.S. Northern Soul release on the same basis surely?

Go on then Ian, Eddie Parker - Love You Baby on Grapevine :rolleyes::D

Social source share

So what about playing a legal reissue of a record out then. is that a allowed even if the record is the same label shade and looks the same and everything. is this allowed ?

Why should the label colour/shade be of any relevance to this ongoing and repetetive debate ?

Social source share

If promoters want punters through the door then surely for those that dont give a fook about the format its played on are going to attend anyway as for them its only about dancing and hearing the tunes they like, IF all the tunes are played on OVO then those that wouldnt attend a bootleg convention possibly would wether its an oldies night or local phone box soul night etc etc

so promoters its easy, play OVO only and you have more chance of people attending :rolleyes:

wrong 80% of punters dont give a shit about o v o ,just there to dance :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

wrong 80% of punters dont give a shit about o v o ,just there to dance :thumbsup:

That just shows they dont get it.

There are plenty of weddings and hen nights they could crash if they just wanna get pised n dance to a cd of northern/motown stars on 45 :rolleyes:

Social source share

This is running to six pages now its getting boring if you wanna go to a rare soul night go if you wanna go to an oldies night and here the same old as people say then fine lets just live and let live

Edited by Guest
Social source share

This is running to six pages now its getting boring if you wanna go to a rare soul night go if you wanna go to an oldies night and here the same old as people say then fine lets just live and let live

It can't be that boring. You're posting on two current "boot" threads :rolleyes:

Social source share

Go on then Ian, Eddie Parker - Love You Baby on Grapevine :rolleyes::D

DJ Credibility Rating In Relation To Playing Eddie Parker's "Love You Baby"

Format DJ Rating

Original Ashford W/L Promo 10/10

Original Ashford Normal 9/10

French Googa Mooga 8/10

UK Grapevine 7/10

Original Torch era D/S acetate 6/10

CD Reissue 5/10

Ist US Pressing (large ARCHER Stamp) 4/10

2nd US Pressing (small ARCHER stamp) 3/10

3rd US Pressing (no ARCHER stamp) 2/10

MP3 1/10

Can we please now start applying this formula to every single DJ out there on every one of his or her records, build a national Northern database and then grade 'em in the Northern DJ Credibility Top 100?

Social source share

Interesting to note you included acetates.

Think that people forget that 'back in the day' :thumbsup: top name DJ's were playing some sounds off acetates.

And aren't reviled for it either.

SWONS

DJ Credibility Rating In Relation To Playing Eddie Parker's "Love You Baby"

Format DJ Rating

Original Ashford W/L Promo 10/10

Original Ashford Normal 9/10

French Googa Mooga 8/10

UK Grapevine 7/10

Original Torch era D/S acetate 6/10

CD Reissue 5/10

Ist US Pressing (large ARCHER Stamp) 4/10

2nd US Pressing (small ARCHER stamp) 3/10

3rd US Pressing (no ARCHER stamp) 2/10

MP3 1/10

Can we please now start applying this formula to every single DJ out there on every one of his or her records, build a national Northern database and then grade 'em in the Northern DJ Credibility Top 100?

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

Interesting to note you included acetates.

Think that people forget that 'back in the day' :thumbsup: top name DJ's were playing some sounds off acetates.

And aren't reviled for it either.

SWONS

Yep, I'm ashamed to admit that I bought a Duke Browner "Crying Over You"/Kaddoo Strings "Nothing But Love" acetate for £3.00 off Mopsy from Sheffield at the start of my deejaying days. I was young and foolish back then........... :rolleyes:

Ian D :D

Social source share

That just shows they dont get it.

There are plenty of weddings and hen nights they could crash if they just wanna get pised n dance to a cd of northern/motown stars on 45 :thumbsup:

Well they don't have to go out at all - just put some beers in the fridge and put a CD on, and dance on their carpet to all the favourite oldies :rolleyes: Yeah no need for the oldies only fans to ever leave home again..... :D

Social source share

God almighty...but hey lets keep the thread going, you never know it might make the record books as the longest thread or most used net debate topic, or most boring EVER :rolleyes:

back in the old days of soul source and on the same sort of debate Sean Hampsey made a point about Original Format Only OFO and i agree with him on that, due to many modern sound being cd only..and as i love soul across the board and those who know myself and what we do at the Friendship and other nights it is either OVO or OFO

Friendship OVO...modern nights etc OFO

What gets me in the earlier thread many moons ago when Sean mentioned OFO, an OVO stalwart who had battled for OVO only typed..."ah i wouldnt play CDS and if a track was cd only id have them put on a carvers and play them off vinyl"!!!!...that made me piss myself, make your own jugements on that.

the argument will rage forever, as its a matter of taste

By the way...marmite..brown or tapped till its white or not at all..that is the question

Geeooooordie

BTW anyone going to the Karate weekend in primrose valley yorkshire on the 15th of may, if you are PM me and we'll hook have a beer debate OVO even further, as the missus is staying at home as she cant stand soul or Karate... what an auld fart

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Not a dig at you Ian, honestly. :thumbsup:

And there were only a few DJ's who didn't use acetates in the 70's.

It happened and was generally accepted as the norm.

Times change but this OVO v bootleg debate has been done to death and there is / will never be any resolution imo.

Best

Tabs

Yep, I'm ashamed to admit that I bought a Duke Browner "Crying Over You"/Kaddoo Strings "Nothing But Love" acetate for £3.00 off Mopsy from Sheffield at the start of my deejaying days. I was young and foolish back then........... :rolleyes:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Well they don't have to go out at all - just put some beers in the fridge and put a CD on, and dance on their carpet to all the favourite oldies :rolleyes: Yeah no need for the oldies only fans to ever leave home again..... :D

Give 'em another year or two and that's what they'll be doing anyway Steve!

C'mon someone - fund me on setting up a Northern Soul retirement village quick! Oldies only mind........ :thumbsup:

Ian D :(

Social source share

Guest Big Al 68

Cor blimey !! my heads spinnin' with all the opinions on this thread :D

so i'm gonna add my penny's worth, wether ya like it or not :(

I am not a collector, i only buy what i like, but it has to be OVO.WHY? Purely for my own satisfaction and nothing else ! For me the thrill is in the chase, to find that track you've been searching for months/years. Bootlegs take the fun out of it for me,hear a tune on Friday night,order off T'internet Saturday & recieve it wednsday!

Now dont get me wrong, i don't begrudge anyone buying/playing out pressings/boots. I've played at both OVO & "NOSTALGIA" nights, where soul has been played out on different formats, and enjoyed it FOR WHAT IT WAS !!

I guess what i'm tryin' to say is, most soulies travel to various venues, therefore ,depending on your personal preferences,whether you shall return or not depends on YOU !!! Dont like music policy?DONT GO ! :thumbsup: simple as!!

On a personal level, I like nothing better than attending a venue and hearing tunes i dont know and pestering the jocks for details at RARE SOUL events. But I also love going to NOSTALGIA nights for a drink and chat with old friends & new and listenin' to some memories NO MATTER WHAT THE FORMAT !!

OVO forever for me, but everyone is'nt me (lucky gits!)

Lifes too short as it is , time to lighten up a bit me thinks !!! :lol::rolleyes:

Anyway, RARE SOUL,NOSTALGIA & R'N'B,ITS ALL NORTHERN SOUL TO ME

Social source share

Not a dig at you Ian, honestly. :thumbsup:

And there were only a few DJ's who didn't use acetates in the 70's.

It happened and was generally accepted as the norm.

Times change but this OVO v bootleg debate has been done to death and there is / will never be any resolution imo.

Best

Tabs

I know mate. :rolleyes:

Everyone had an acetate or two in their boxes back then. Another weird quirk was that if a pressing came out too early, like if a sound was still building in popularity but there weren't enough originals around, then it was kind of OK to play it for a couple of weeks before the wallies jumped on it. I remember virtually everyone caning "Afternoon Of The Rhino" on Soulbeat 'cos it was on a 45 for the first time and the fidelity on the O.V. LP wasn't that good......

Youngblood Smith "You Can Split" was a great example of a pressing coming out before the record had even broken. Same as Lou Courtney "Me And You Doing The Boogaloo" (why?), the Sunlovers "You'll Never Make The Grade" and even Rubin "You've Been Away"..........

The bootleggers were quicker then the bloody DJ's back then......... :D

Ian D :(

Social source share

in all honesty, i see this happen regardless of venue. time and time again venues are let down by poor PA systems and even worse EQ settings. sorry to go off topic a little but can you promoters/DJ's whoever sort out the EQ? cymbals are recorded onto the master tapes but i can never hear them coming out of speakers :thumbsup: . same goes for string sections, tambourines etc. most seem to be all bass and mid frequencies, give em some clarity, get the high frequency horns above head height, keep the bass on the deck

IAN (sound engineer and drummer in bands) :D

p.s. rant over :rolleyes:

pps Grosvenor rooms have a stonking clear PA

We do try and play OVO at Blacktrackin' but we also use a top class sound system and retain an engineer to keep it sweet altho he has explained to me that as the top end of my hearing has gone I'm always asking for more treble. It's a three way system with amps for bass mid and treble with horn loaded cabinets.We have monitors for our deaf DJs and side fill speakers which means everybody can hear the sounds. We increase the volume progressively as most of our people like to listen to the tunes but also like a chat. As the venue fills and the dance floor gets busy the amps are turned up. We use a Rane mixer and hope our DJs keep the levels out of the red. We keep an ear as well as an eye on the dance floor.

I've been to a few clubs with a bigger PA than any of the big dance halls of the seventies in a quarter of the space with a tenth of the punters. The sound tends to be distorted, too loud and sometimes the decks have a different EQ balnce on their respective mixer channel.

Social source share

If you guys are still up for it and speak german you can join in a simelar debate on CD's+ digital djing v Records within the Goa scene www.goatrance.de :rolleyes: Some argue that since the the introduction of CD mixing + digital djing things are getting worse.... :(:lol::thumbsup::D:lol:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

God almighty...but hey lets keep the thread going, you never know it might make the record books as the longest thread or most used net debate topic, or most boring EVER :ohmy:

back in the old days of soul source and on the same sort of debate Sean Hampsey made a point about Original Format Only OFO and i agree with him on that, due to many modern sound being cd only..and as i love soul across the board and those who know myself and what we do at the Friendship and other nights it is either OVO or OFO

Friendship OVO...modern nights etc OFO

What gets me in the earlier thread many moons ago when Sean mentioned OFO, an OVO stalwart who had battled for OVO only typed..."ah i wouldnt play CDS and if a track was cd only id have them put on a carvers and play them off vinyl"!!!!...that made me piss myself, make your own jugements on that.

the argument will rage forever, as its a matter of taste

By the way...marmite..brown or tapped till its white or not at all..that is the question

Geeooooordie

BTW anyone going to the Karate weekend in primrose valley yorkshire on the 15th of may, if you are PM me and we'll hook have a beer debate OVO even further, as the missus is staying at home as she cant stand soul or Karate... what an auld fart

Totally agree with you 100% Ian. You know what your punters want & deliver it accordingly but let me throw a swerveball into the works.

Sean Oliver - You & Me.

Been an anthem on the Modern scene for a number of years & now getting played in some ATB Northern rooms.

Got released on Boomtang on CD & 12" vinyl & the CD sounds far better than the 12" release (got both so know the difference) so surely for the sake of the paying punters it's better to play the CD over the vinyl.

Not only that but it's a bloody good album & also a dam site cheaper as well now the Northern pricebumping has took hold.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Thankfully, in the main, no. I do the majority of my sets from CDR's of my own tunes and whilst I get asked constantly what I'm playing as I generally play fairly new stuff for the most part, nobody has ever made an issue of me playing off a CDR, I just tell them what it is and they're generally happy. If format was an issue, I honestly don't think I'd bother DJ'ing at all.

Funnily enough though, one time at a weekender I was following a 'big name' and he played a CDR of a track that I'd sent him on mp3 whereas I had the real CD in my playbox ready to play!! Oooooh, I were right mad I were!! :ohmy:

Actually I wasn't, I had a laugh with him about it and just chose another one to play. :lol:

a few years ago i went to the orwell, up stairs banging modern ,now i dont care what its played off ,And one of the biggest dj's in the land was on and he was playing cdr's cos he cocked up and it wouldnt play he never tried to hide the fact what he was playing in fact he made a joke about it ,I must admit I was surprised that some one at the top of the tree like him played cdr's and im sure he must have one if not the best collection going, so if its good enough for him? since this r&b started iv gone more towards the modern side of the music and also the stuff, be it records or cd's are more within the reach of mortal's like my self. and the artist's at least get some thing back.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Totally agree with you 100% Ian. You know what your punters want & deliver it accordingly but let me throw a swerveball into the works.

Sean Oliver - You & Me.

Been an anthem on the Modern scene for a number of years & now getting played in some ATB Northern rooms.

Got released on Boomtang on CD & 12" vinyl & the CD sounds far better than the 12" release (got both so know the difference) so surely for the sake of the paying punters it's better to play the CD over the vinyl.

Not only that but it's a bloody good album & also a dam site cheaper as well now the Northern pricebumping has took hold.

spot on !

Social source share

a few years ago i went to the orwell, up stairs banging modern ,now i dont care what its played off ,And one of the biggest dj's in the land was on and he was playing cdr's cos he cocked up and it wouldnt play he never tried to hide the fact what he was playing in fact he made a joke about it ,I must admit I was surprised that some one at the top of the tree like him played cdr's and im sure he must have one if not the best collection going, so if its good enough for him? since this r&b started iv gone more towards the modern side of the music and also the stuff, be it records or cd's are more within the reach of mortal's like my self. and the artist's at least get some thing back.

Guessing when you say 'banging Modern' it was a Soulful House track so it was probably downloaded legally from somewhere like traxsource & burned onto a CDR.

If so that throws up yet another swerveball.

When the tracks finally get an official release do the DJ's who have downloaded the tracks legally throw away the CDR's & have to buy the vinyl release?

Tyron Dixon & Lisa Shaw spring to mind from recent months.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well for one if it states original vinyl only it should be. But do the promoters know what a DJ has in his box? What if one top DJ turns up and has let's say a Frank Wilson or other tune cause they haven't got original yet what happens should they be allowed in. would they say you can DJ but can't play Frank Wilson.

what about songs not avlaiable on original vinyl. are we not allowed to play them out. CD's are they not original a lot of them if a DJ plays them

lastly i go by what someone said about getting into the music and wanting to DJ like me. i wouldn't know what all my records or dad's ones are i use. i can tell that some are original and would play them. If i DJed but i wouldn't know if all are original so i would get shot by a lot of snobs and so on if they tell me i can't DJ cause i have re-issues. But if someone looked at the collection and sorted them for me i wouldn't have a problem only on the ones i am not sure about.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Sean Oliver - You & Me.

If I ever felt the need to play this out where do I stand playing it on a ripped CD :lol:

I have bought the album on iTunes so I have a legal copy :ohmy:

Steve J

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert