Crossfire Last Night, Easter Sunday

OK not going to comment on the actual night as this will be covered in every detail later.

During the night I had my bag stolen. It contained a few valuables which can be replaced so although it's really annoying I didn't lose money, cards etc. It wasn't until later on when I was telling Mark Sergeant that he mentioned Rob Messer had a handful of records stolen when his back was turned. It was then that I thought back and just before I noticed my bag gone I had told a young wan*er to get down from the table behind me when the Flirts were on because he was stomping up and down and being a total fu*kwit.

When I looked behind me a few minutes later he and his mate were sitting there holding up records in the dark and looking at them curiously. I thought this was rather strange but turned my back to carry on watching the group and when I looked again they had gone.

So I suspect that they were Robs records and my bag had been used to hide them in before they made a quick exit.

Anyway, when I had arrived at the start someone said "Watch your bag". I took my eyes off mine for a few minutes and paid the price - so WATCH OUT !!

Mark C wink.gif

• Replies 57
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OK not going to comment on the actual night as this will be covered in every detail later.

During the night I had my bag stolen. It contained a few valuables which can be replaced so although it's really annoying I didn't lose money, cards etc. It wasn't until later on when I was telling Mark Sergeant that he mentioned Rob Messer had a handful of records stolen when his back was turned. It was then that I thought back and just before I noticed my bag gone I had told a young wan*er to get down from the table behind me when the Flirts were on because he was stomping up and down and being a total fu*kwit.

When I looked behind me a few minutes later he and his mate were sitting there holding up records in the dark and looking at them curiously. I thought this was rather strange but turned my back to carry on watching the group and when I looked again they had gone.

So I suspect that they were Robs records and my bag had been used to hide them in before they made a quick exit.

Anyway, when I had arrived at the start someone said "Watch your bag". I took my eyes off mine for a few minutes and paid the price - so WATCH OUT !!

Mark C :P

Does the club have any CCTV, you might be able to point them out... unsure.gif

Guest Mrs Simsy

What was the do like, theres been no write ups

Hot!!

The place was packed to the rafters! Flirts were good, DJs did the business (especially Ginger Taylor imo) the only issue was that there was no air con on in the main room! huh.gif It was on in the r'n'b room & the pysch room but not in the room where it was needed most.

Being a mega lightweight & having attended Rugby the night before we were done for by 4am but we had a good time & were glad that we went.

P.S Apologies to Helen Kellythorne, i saw Mark outside & ment to come & say hello but we left shortly afterwards & i only remembered when we halfway down the M11! blush.gif

P.P.S Pictures to follow.

I am sure Matt or Fluff told me that you where there ?

I can't comment really Pete , having had a skinfull the night before I was not at my best and didn't stay too long.

I will say I was gobsmacked at the size of the crowd in that room. It was very well attended to the point if you suffered from claustrophobia ( not sure if I spelt that right) it would have been a nightmare for you... it certainly bought the masses out.

A pick pockets paradise.. I wondered why Rob Messer looked so bloody miserable... it all makes sence now.

Did what it said on the tin. It was like Stoke without the M1. Packed to the rafters and very hot. Danced loads in between the Northern and the RnB rooms for the variety of sounds. Flirts weren't as good as they were on at the Kent anniversary - still did the business with their songs but didn't feel they needed to pad it out with other tunes. Of the spots I heard, I thought Keb's was the most imaginative but left at 3 so didn't catch Ginger's set. All in all a very enjoyable night and even managed to lose a few pounds due to the heat. laugh.gif

Guest the major

It was bang on IMHO. Spent most of my time in the RnB room, where the atmosphere was elecric, company great and the music even better. Northern room was a feast for the ears - echo the other comments re Ginger.

Pity some A-Holes spoiled it for folk by thieving stuff.

Head and body in need of a re-furb.

Thanks to all for putting on another ace Crossfire; consistently one of the best niters in the Country.

Guest Matt Male

It was packed when we got there and i was wondering how we'd all get on the dancefloor. The Flirtations were on. Lots of Mods left over from the weekender and lots of youngsters (i don't get down to London very often and this is a big difference from the midlands and the north). I agree with Carms pickpocket/thieves paradise. Karen C told me about the bags and records that had gone missing and i can't say i was surprised. At least there were a few friendly faces when we got in, Flanny, Karen, Billy, Nige B and Carmen, so we settled right in and didn't feel too scruffy next to all those smart mods. I clocked Mark Lamarr propping up the bar :lol: .

The music was excellent top oldies as described and i danced my ass off for most of the night in the main room. For all my love of newies sometimes you are just in the mood for oldies and it was very satisfying thumbsup.gif My biggest complaint was when i first got on the floor there were loads of civilians standing around gormlessly pints in hands between the dancers and there was beer all over the floor and i nearly broke my neck. :lol: As the room thinned out a bit after the Flirtations this seemed to become less of a problem.

We stayed til the end and left happy and knackered. :lol:

Yes Carms i thought Pete was there... g.gif Maybe not then... :unsure:

Guest Fatius Bumius

I'm a bit gutted, thought i'd recorded another 5 odd minutes towards the end of your set,got home to find nothing on my memory card. I must have stood there with the camera on Standby, forgot to press 'record' :unsure: Arm ache for NOWT!

Yeah, rammed dancefloor indeed, great atmosphere as well in the main room.Pics I've put up in the Gallery are of the dancefloor when you was DJ'ing.

Edited by Fatius Bumius

Yeah, rammed dancefloor indeed, great atmosphere as well in the main room.Pics I've put up in the Gallery are of the dancefloor when you was DJ'ing.

Can I have a link please ?????

Guest soultan

i only caught keb, ian and the flirtations.

keb was great, pukka picks played and good to hear his scoootish brogue thru the microphone again. still cant really understand ya mate.LOL

ian levine played a good set too. in particular i thought his dj style was interesting, he seemed to tell a story before each record. aint knocking it at all, just saying it struck me.

as for the flirtations, well i dont know if i was in an audio blackspot but i couldnt hear them very well. the band seemed more prominent than the singers, and even they were quiet. they looked like they were going for it but my ears couldnt confirm, which was a shame.

i hope there is some camera footage that will expose the thieving toerags that were present as they forgot the shirt off my back.

Guest outonthefloor

Did what it said on the tin. It was like Stoke without the M1. Packed to the rafters and very hot. Danced loads in between the Northern and the RnB rooms for the variety of sounds. Flirts weren't as good as they were on at the Kent anniversary - still did the business with their songs but didn't feel they needed to pad it out with other tunes. Of the spots I heard, I thought Keb's was the most imaginative but left at 3 so didn't catch Ginger's set. All in all a very enjoyable night and even managed to lose a few pounds due to the heat. :unsure:

Spot on Warren and exactly what I said to Mark on the way home. Like Stoke but closer to home only it wont have the knockers that Stoke has because of the London connection. (queue the knocker jokes....)

The doorman Pi**ed me off before i was even in there tho pushing us to one side to allow people with 'advanced' tickets through n some who just couldnt be bothered to queue! Didnt think there were any advanced tickets but even if there were the doorman could still do with a lesson in manners imo.

I was disappointed by Ian's Set and tbh it was one I was looking forward to. With all those records he has I didnt expect the 'best Northern Soul Album in the world...ever' set. with tunes that would grace most compliation cd's you could have found in Woolies. (no he didnt play cd's of coure, just an analogy)and whats with all the cheesey chat???

Keb was the best Dj of the nite and great to hear Florence Devore - Kiss me now (don't kiss me later) played to a packed floor (we left at 4.30 though coz me foot had had enough so apologies to who ever came after) and Keb was a good laugh especially after I showed him a few moves on the dance floor....PMSL!!!......

I'm not a fan of 'live' soul but Flirts were ok...why does everyone feel the need to do a cover of DILY tho????

Crossfire is what it is, and what it is is a good nite out. Great mix of people n nice to see young'ens mixed in with us oldies. Not so sure they are as worried about dancefloor etiquette though and the floor in places was a skating rink. I did worry about falling over n re hurting me foot so I prob didnt dance as much as I could have. In some places the beer coupled with talc made for a nice paste!!!

All in all I was expecting a great night out and I wasnt disappointed.

Thanks to Ady et al

Helen

xxx

Guest outonthefloor

Hot!!

The place was packed to the rafters! Flirts were good, DJs did the business (especially Ginger Taylor imo) the only issue was that there was no air con on in the main room! :lol: It was on in the r'n'b room & the pysch room but not in the room where it was needed most.

Being a mega lightweight & having attended Rugby the night before we were done for by 4am but we had a good time & were glad that we went.

P.S Apologies to Helen Kellythorne, i saw Mark outside & ment to come & say hello but we left shortly afterwards & i only remembered when we halfway down the M11! :unsure:

P.P.S Pictures to follow.

No worries Kylee, I went lookin for ya but I think we kept missing each other xx lol No doubt will see you soon xx

Helen

xxx

Guest andyrattigan

A good night all in all. A few weirdos there, and Im not talking about the Austin Powers lookalike convention in the Psych Room :unsure:

Awful to hear about Mark's bag and someone else having record stolen. Some chap picked up my towel to use it on his sweaty head. I grabbed it off him and told him i dont share towels. Why would he want to use my sweaty towel anyway? Disgusting.

Music was good overall but a few tunes played too many times. Frankie Beverly..If thats what you wanted played 3 times. I love this tune but 3 times in a night is a bit much.

Mick Smith played some nice oldies but at the staert of his second set said he wouldnt paly any records that were played by other DJs and then the first record he played was already spun as were one or two others. He must have been a bit sozzled.

My only complaint was that there was no Modern at all played or even any mid-tempo 6ts.

I spent a half hour in the R&B room for the skinhead reggae DJ and loved it. Cracking set! I lost interest in this music when I discovered Northern but lately my taste in it has been re-ignited.

Nice to catch up with a few folk as well. Nice to talk to Donna, Mark from Norwich, Kylie, Simsy, Oscar, Trickster, Jo etc etc.

I was exahusted on the way home and slept all day. Luckily Im on a nightshift tonight so the body clock is well adjusted

Guest andyrattigan

Spot on Warren and exactly what I said to Mark on the way home. Like Stoke but closer to home only it wont have the knockers that Stoke has because of the London connection. (queue the knocker jokes....)

The doorman Pi**ed me off before i was even in there tho pushing us to one side to allow people with 'advanced' tickets through n some who just couldnt be bothered to queue! Didnt think there were any advanced tickets but even if there were the doorman could still do with a lesson in manners imo.

I was disappointed by Ian's Set and tbh it was one I was looking forward to. With all those records he has I didnt expect the 'best Northern Soul Album in the world...ever' set. with tunes that would grace most compliation cd's you could have found in Woolies. (no he didnt play cd's of coure, just an analogy)and whats with all the cheesey chat???

Keb was the best Dj of the nite and great to hear Florence Devore - Kiss me now (don't kiss me later) played to a packed floor (we left at 4.30 though coz me foot had had enough so apologies to who ever came after) and Keb was a good laugh especially after I showed him a few moves on the dance floor....PMSL!!!......

I'm not a fan of 'live' soul but Flirts were ok...why does everyone feel the need to do a cover of DILY tho????

Crossfire is what it is, and what it is is a good nite out. Great mix of people n nice to see young'ens mixed in with us oldies. Not so sure they are as worried about dancefloor etiquette though and the floor in places was a skating rink. I did worry about falling over n re hurting me foot so I prob didnt dance as much as I could have. In some places the beer coupled with talc made for a nice paste!!!

All in all I was expecting a great night out and I wasnt disappointed.

Thanks to Ady et al

Helen

xxx

Yes some of the DJs talked too much for my liking. A little intro here and there for a tune should suffice.

Guest BintofSoul

BintofSoul sisters had a fabulous night. Loved all the sets and watching Keb dance, he's just sooooo good :g: ! Nice to see John, Bruce, Dave (see you guys on the 9th) Jane & Paddy. The only issue was the heat in the main room and beer being sloshed around the dance floor. However, it didn't stop me having a good time :lol: .

Nicki & Tracey

Guest Simon

Great to see this - thankyou.

The sad thing is it's so dark you can't see how utterly rammed the floor was.

I thought it was an oldies night though Ian, this record was made less than a decade ago!

Not that i'm particuarly bothered as the record's ok & i wasn't there, just thought i'd point it out though.

Shame i missed the night but i was ill, hope to attend if there's another one put on.

Simon

Does the club have any CCTV, you might be able to point them out... :lol:

Could one of the promoters come on and advise if there is CCTV footage. By my reckoning you'd be looking for two young lads (one in a suit I think) walking out of the place with a PUMA bag some time after midnight. Am sure Rob Messer would be interested too...

Mark C

Guest kid mohair

Could one of the promoters come on and advise if there is CCTV footage. By my reckoning you'd be looking for two young lads (one in a suit I think) walking out of the place with a PUMA bag some time after midnight. Am sure Rob Messer would be interested too...

Mark C

Absoloute brilliant night ! went down friday night drove back, saturday was spent in a coma and we went back for sunday crossfire which was superb thanks all.........and the theiving bastards who stole robs records needs to be found named shamed and banned for life from every event in the country. :lol:

Mark C

Hi Mark,

Rob deals with the management there so I'll get him on it as soon as he's available.

Ady

Mark C

Great to see you mark, but was gutted for you re your bag. Thevin, and a flippin headache that wouldn't go aside, it was a great night. I loved and heard some great tunes in all three rooms. Considering how upbeat the music is in the Freakbeat room, the dancing , such as there was, is the least animated and expressive of the whole night. Interesting!

I thought it was an oldies night though Ian, this record was made less than a decade ago!

Was it, Simon ??????

As it happens, I managed to get a couple of very creative records into the spot, including Tommy And The Derbys.

And Peter Lamarr.

Guest Matt Male

I enjoyed the chat from the DJs, especially Ian and Roger Stewart was hillarious at the end. One more thing, as it was my first Crossfire, is it normal for security not to let anyone on stage to ask for requests? Seemed a bit extreme. unsure.gif

Edited by Matt Male

Guest Dani Herranz

getting back to life after a nightmare of a trip back with our top low-service company: not-so-easy-jet, we spent four hours sat in the plane before taking off, so all in all 7 hours trapped there feeling like ****

In any case it was worth the trip, we had a great night virtually dancing all night long, we knew what to expect as it was rightly publicized as Oldies event, and we enjoyed it!!! the record of the night, to me, was Moments-Baby I want you, on Hog, played by Ginger, absolutely great

Fourth crossfire to me, long-distance travellers should start asking for special discount tickets from the fifth edition attended... biggrin.gif:D:lol: ...that´s an idea!!!!

Guest Simon

I assume Simon is referring to "Wrong Side Of Town"

Sorry for the confusion, yeah i was talking about said record.

Don't actually mind it too much, sounds a bit contrived & tailor made to me but still i've heard worse out.

Pity i couldn't make it as i'd have liked to have heard Ian out spinning again, think Fleetwood weekender 'bout 10 years ago was the last time i saw him play, hope to make it if there's another 'oldies' Crossfire.

Simon

Sorry for the confusion, yeah i was talking about said record.

Don't actually mind it too much, sounds a bit contrived & tailor made to me but still i've heard worse out.

Pity i couldn't make it as i'd have liked to have heard Ian out spinning again, think Fleetwood weekender 'bout 10 years ago was the last time i saw him play, hope to make it if there's another 'oldies' Crossfire.

Simon

I thought it was a great night. Well done everyone.

Upside:

Great tunes that you don't normally hear anymore in London, especially in that quantity.

Loved dancing to

Sam Ward

Freddie Chavez

The Four Perfections

Highlights for me though

Major Lance-You Don't Love Me Anymore

and top for me all night Sandi Sheldon-pure Northern Oldie.

Meeting lots of friends not seen in a while-lots of them. Made the night even better.

Getting my Flirtations album signed by the girls. Thank you ladies you were Brilliant again!

Seeing lots of Moddy types going for it on the dancefloor.

Downside.

Crew guys having to sort the mic out for the girls during their first number.

That's it.

What distinguishes this from an original oldies night. Everyone kept their shirt on. :thumbsup:

A good night but couldn't do it every weekend.

There should be a few more Oldies events staged IMO with people just enjoying themselves with thier hair down.

Kev

Crossfire, Well it was ok IMO ,

Far too many wanna be mody types in sort Austin Powers outfits,and pushy little gits who thought they were gods gift ......i think not.....stealing your drinks and by other reports bags/records :shades: ,if i'd have seen them little gits :thumbsup: .

In saying that loads of proper soul people out to enjoy the night,which they did,all the DJs played good oldie sets.........i enjoyed 'em anyway......so there....

The doorstaff /floorwalkers etc,i think they need to learn some manners and the English language.Health and Safety one said to me by trying to launch down the stairs,but me being a litle cuter than him ,well he went 1st,and swearing at me wont do him any favours now will it...jumped up mother *ucker,i did offer him to have a quiet chat round the corner but he declined the offer.

enough of my rants....i sort of enjoyed it,the sounds,the people etc.Even watching Saxafone "big Taff" .

dancing it give me giggle anyway soooorrry Taff.

Toby..

Crossfire, Well it was ok IMO ,

Far too many wanna be mody types in sort Austin Powers outfits,and pushy little gits who thought they were gods gift ......i think not.....stealing your drinks and by other reports bags/records :lamsey: ,if i'd have seen them little gits :thumbsup: .

In saying that loads of proper soul people out to enjoy the night,which they did,all the DJs played good oldie sets.........i enjoyed 'em anyway......so there....

The doorstaff /floorwalkers etc,i think they need to learn some manners and the English language.Health and Safety one said to me by trying to launch down the stairs,but me being a litle cuter than him ,well he went 1st,and swearing at me wont do him any favours now will it...jumped up mother *ucker,i did offer him to have a quiet chat round the corner but he declined the offer.

enough of my rants....i sort of enjoyed it,the sounds,the people etc.Even watching Saxafone "big Taff" .

dancing it give me giggle anyway soooorrry Taff.

Toby..

Having gone to lots of nighters in the past looking like a tramp who's wandered in from the street (that's me not you toby)

Don't judge a book by it's cover. :shades:

kev

Having gone to lots of nighters in the past looking like a tramp who's wandered in from the street (that's me not you toby)

Don't judge a book by it's cover. :thumbsup:

kev

Point taken Kev,btw they were not ALL mod types........no offence meant by my comments,just a little rant sorry this was NOT aimed at you or your crowd Kev.

Toby.

Point taken Kev,btw they were not ALL mod types........no offence meant by my comments,just a little rant sorry this was NOT aimed at you or your crowd Kev.

Toby.

Don't get me wrong toby. I'm as far away from mod as you can get. never been near a scooter and the nearest i ever got to mod style was wearing a fairile (spelling) and a purple penny round in 1971 when I was 11.

I know some peeps can be annoying but I think of myself and others in the past-Cast the first stone and all that.

God knows what people thought of me down the Casino. And my early days down the 100club. I didn't care too much music to enjoy. You can't hold back enthusiasm. I remember on Sunday When the mody types got in my way (some of them were obviously out of it) I just took them by their upper arms and moved them aside. Lol. Or shimmied to a nicer space away from them. It's easily done.

Kev

top nite ady, i went expecting it to be good and you delivered. not naming any djs which stood out, they all played a excellent spot. was sorry to hear my mates bag got nicked and also records, well out of order. it was nice to see a young crowd down there, in my opinion very polite. they opened the door for me, one give me some tissue paper to wipe my forehead. mind you i most of been the oldest one in there. trickster on top form as usual. didnt reconise helen outonthefloor with her liposuction and black wig. nice one. once again ady, got to b one of the best dj line up this year, imo. once again, what a fab nite. billy :thumbsup:

Highlights for me though

Major Lance-You Don't Love Me Anymore

and top for me all night Sandi Sheldon-pure Northern Oldie.

Thankyou.

I played both of those.

Yes I know Ian. Thanks.

Must admit tho' The wrong side of town' doesn't do it for me but that's just my opinion.

All in all a good oldies set.

Kev

Well the floor loved it and was rammed.

There was no way I was going to do a spot without playing it, no way on this planet, so sometimes you have to put up with the one to be able to get the other.

as we'd never heard Ian Levine or Keb Darge DJ we were very excited to see what they had to offer; we were sadly disappointed.

there was no build-up musically to work the crowd and get the excitement going, and talking OVER the records? come on....

saying that we had a lovely time socially, great to see so many good friends who dont venture up north too often wink.gif .

Guest mrsmotown
:D:( TOP NITE ADY NEVER DANCED SO MUCH IN MY LIFE VERY NEARLY MADE IT TO THE END. FLIRTATIONS BRILL AND IAN YA KEPT M ON FLOOR WITH SOME TOP TUNES SO THANK YOU AND TO ALL THE DJS WHO MADE IT ONE OF THE BEST NITES IVE BEEN TO IN A WHILE :thumbsup: HERES TO MANY MORE LIKE IT :rolleyes:

2nd crossfire for me and my better half and in my opinion even better than the first. Should have taken a couple more shirts tho cos the heat was stifling ! Enjoyed all the Dj.s sets thought Ian did the business and the lasttrack sounded great played out really loud. Roll on the next one, well done Adey we had a blast

regards

Ian n Odette

Yep, a top night and wonderful to catch up with lotsa people. Excellent sets by everyone whose sets I caught! Someone should also give Keb a shout for having the iniative to get the decks moved so that people could actually see the DJ's. I think that made a big difference.

Well done Ady! I had a ball and wish I could have stayed longer but had 'family' stuff happening on Monday............

Ian D :rolleyes:

Yep, a top night and wonderful to catch up with lotsa people. Excellent sets by everyone whose sets I caught! Someone should also give Keb a shout for having the iniative to get the decks moved so that people could actually see the DJ's. I think that made a big difference.

Well done Ady! I had a ball and wish I could have stayed longer but had 'family' stuff happening on Monday............

Did you not see Peter Lamarr get played ???????

Source Advert