Rip Willie Tee

Guest Gavin Page

Guest Gavin Page

Yet another sad loss :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks to John Smith for passing on the sad news.

Wilson "Willie Tee" Turbinton............ died yesturday of colon cancer

.........This is truly sad news.

Here in the UK, Willie was best known for his solo outings "Walking Up a One Way Street, "Thank You John" (both massive mod club hits), his NS scene anthems "First Taste of Hurt", "Teasin You", "Teasin You Again" (+ a couple of his later cuts for United Artists & Capitol) AND with funk fans for the Gaturs outings.

He toured here playing both funk & NS scene clubs and I got to meet him twice. He was a truly modest guy with a great extended family.

.....The posting (on a blues list) that announced his passing.....

Keyboardist, songwriter and producer Wilson "Willie Tee" Turbinton, an early architect of New Orleans funk and soul, died today of colon cancer. He was 63.

Mr. Turbinton secured his place in New Orleans music legend by producing and co-writing the Wild Magnolias' self-titled 1973 debut. That landmark

recording and the subsequent "They Call Us Wild," also produced by Mr. Turbinton, largely introduced the Mardi Gras Indians' distinctive street beats and chants to the world.

"In a city of treasures, he was rich in taste and tradition," said record producer and longtime friend Leo Sacks. "The depth, breadth, scope and command of his piano playing were profound. He helped shape the sound of New Orleans for more than four decades."

Mr. Turbinton's passing follows that of his older brother, modern jazz saxophonist Earl Turbinton, on Aug. 3. Survivors include his wife, Marilyn Martin Turbinton; a sister, Joyce Turbinton Gill; a daughter, Racquel Turbinton Bruno; and two

grandchildren.

A funeral is scheduled for Sept. 22 at Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church. Visitation is from 9 to 11 a.m., with a service to follow.

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What a loss

also known for

"i'm having so much fun"

and

"please dont go"

He will always be remembered for his great contibution to soul music

Another sad loss ....

Thank You , Willie .

Malc Burton

Social source share

a class act

saw this tribute from his sax player Steve Allen....

9/11

Last night around half time of the Saints season opener I left the house and went to Touro Infirmary on Prytania Street. When I got there the guards at the desk told me visiting hours were over at 8:30. It was about 9:30. I persisted and they wanted to know if the patient was near death and if the hospital had called me. Yes, near death in the oncology ward, that's cancer, and no, no call. I told them I was his sax player, that he was Willie Tee, Teasin' You, Wild Magnolia producer, many other 'comebacks' and reinventions, a name that it would have been impossible for even a jaded New Orleans security guard not to have known. The officer went in the back and came out and asked what Willie Tee's real name is, which is Wilson Turbinton. He let me go up to the room.

This month's Offbeat magazine has an obituary for Earl Turbinton, Willie's brother in it. Since Katrina, Earl had been in a long term medical facility, first in Memphis and lately in Baton Rouge, because he'd had a couple of strokes and lung cancer apparently according to the obituary. Willie and he had an album several years back called "Brothers for Life", and now it looks like they will become brothers in death as well. Earl passed away and his service was 4 short weekends ago. Willie visited his brother daily in Baton Rouge. They were very close, in every way, bearing a very pronounced resemblance to each other, working together on and off for their entire careers, even starting a music academy for young people years back which evolved into NOCCA, The New Orleans Center For Creative Arts High School. It was something Willie never mentioned to me, having happened many years before we met. When we were together there was only time to talk about music, the music we were working on in the right now frame of reference. Improvisational ensemble music, as free and spontaneous as possible at all times, anything goes, and as little structure as possible. That was what playing with Willie Tee was for me. Just follow him, anywhere, 20 minute medleys, change keys, change feels, pick up different horns, constantly searching for new keyboard sounds, writing new grooves on the bandstand... the most challenging and fun musical experience I've had maybe ever. And we communicated so instantly and the flow just laid itself out in front of us so easily, it was like driving a Cadillac through the sky.

And now that ride is over? Willie looked small in the hospital bed. He was knocked out on pain medication, heavy stuff that Hospice can supply, which is the point at which a patient gets no treatment for their disease, just to be made comfortable until the end. I know about this intimately. Juanetz and Jack, my mom and dad both died within 3 months of each other. They were old and very sick, and ready to leave this world. Willie Tee however is 63. It would seem he has plenty more to give. He was invited to be an Artist in Residence at Princeton for a year after Katrina. Handy, since his home near City Park had been destroyed by the storm. Princeton did well by it's students, having the street genius around to exude musical knowledge in it's purest most direct form, no academic filter composed of 'concepts, theory, reflection and words words words, just the pure spark of creativity. Let the academics sort it out and theorize it in the past tense, if that's all they can do. Creation happens in the eternal now, and that's the only place it happens. You see the difference, yes?

Willie said pray to the Lord for me. On this subject I must watch my step not to hurt the feelings of my fellow humans who need every bit of hope and comfort they can get. There is a God, and God is all powerful, and miracles do happen, things that can't be explained in conventional physics. Sometimes the Big Guy seems interested in what we're going through, other times not so much. And I know from our perspective, living in this world, there could very well be a great deal we can't and couldn't understand, even if we could see what's on the other side. So it's probably is best not to come off cynically on this subject. Yet I find it hard to keep some thoughts to myself. Will it change anything, no. Am I registering a complaint, absolutely. Willie Tee just deserves some free and easy time right now. He should be sitting at the piano somewhere singing, not lying in the gown breathing through plastic tubing. That should be later, much later. Why now? Why is the spark being extinguished so suddenly and abruptly? I don't mean to challenge your faith, but can you explain that?

I went by the Hospital again yesterday afternoon and there was a hand written sign on Willie Tee's room that said NO VISITORS. I had just seen Paul, the owner of Sweet Lorraines, where we had played so many great sets, and he hadn't gotten in either, but he had spoken to Marilyn, Mrs, Turbinton, and she said they were making arrangements move Willie to a Hospice off of St. Charles somewhere near by. Marilyn didn't even come out of the room to talk to me, the nurse said she was upset.

And today, September 11th, while I was setting up my studio at my house, the radio announcer on WWOZ said they wished to extend their love and sympathy to the Turbinton family, and that Willie Tee had gone to join the Ancestors. I'm happy for him that he didn't have to just lay there in the hospital bed and suffer. He didn't say much to me the night I visited him there. Just "I feel terrible, I'm dyin', pray to the Lord for me, and I've been thinkin'." I told him when you get there tell 'em we're not too happy about this. Well he's there now. I have to say, I feel like there is a 'there' there. It is and always will be the BIG MYSTERY to us on this side, but I feel feelings and hear voices that come from there, my parents in dreams mainly and now Willie Tee too I'm sure will visit me. I'll sure be glad to see him and I hope he sends me some inspired sounds from time to time. In fact I know he will.

Social source share

Very sad to hear this, Willie Tee was a true gentleman, John Smith, Charlie Rees and I spent 30 minutes in his company with his wife and lovely daughter after watching him performe at the Jazz Cafe in London a few years back.

God bless you Willie we will all miss you, I am pleased to have known you for that brief moment.

Social source share

RIP Willie Tee, Walking Up A One Way Street has been one of my all time favourite songs since the very first day I heard it

Yeh me to Pete, pure class and its on the decks now playing over & over. I thank you for the years of joy this song has given me. RIP Mr Tee. Keep on walking, keep on, keep on, Talking.

Social source share

RIP Willie Tee, Walking Up A One Way Street has been one of my all time favourite songs since the very first day I heard it.

Sad Loss Indeed.

I remember buying "Walking Up A One Way Street" on Red Atlantic

One of my first purchases & Still in the collection.

Never thought I would ever see a Video of him.

As already stated, one of the Artists that first attracted my ears to this wonderful Music scene.

R.I.P.

Social source share

Terribly sad news, Gavin.

"Walking Up A One Way Street" was also one of my earliests introductions to Soul music - and almost 40 years later would still count in my all time top 100 (along with several other Willie Tee gems).

Along with Gene Chandler, I've always said that Willie was the 'Slickest' recording artist in the business.

His delivery was always spot on, on so many fine, fine tunes!

Tonight, I'll have a mammoth Willie Tee session and raise a toast to NOLA's finest!

RIP The Incredible Willie Tee

"Bring On The Heartaches"

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Keyboardist, songwriter and producer Wilson "Willie Tee" Turbinton, an early architect of New Orleans funk and soul, died today of colon cancer. He was 63.

Thanks for the post Gavin - a real quality artist that did so much good stuff......another sad loss, and no age at all really. :rolleyes:

His style was pretty unique, and I enjoyed seeing him at Cleethorpes.

Social source share

Dammit. In the wake of the Katrina anniversary, I've been selling my now-annual New Orleans soul & funk CD's, this year the money going to Sweet Home New Orleans:

https://www.sweethomeneworleans.org/home.php

and I've been thinking about Willie Tee a LOT because of it. Brilliant stuff, everything I've ever heard the man do.

It's just a few weeks ago we were reading about his brother passing away, too.

As expected, Dan Phillips at Home of the Groove has a good post on the subject:

https://homeofthegroove.blogspot.com/

Ugh. When is this country going to start appreciating some of these folks while they're alive??? :rolleyes:

juddy

pittsburgh

Yet another sad loss :unsure::D

Thanks to John Smith for passing on the sad news.

Wilson "Willie Tee" Turbinton............ died yesturday of colon cancer

.........This is truly sad news.

Here in the UK, Willie was best known for his solo outings "Walking Up a One Way Street, "Thank You John" (both massive mod club hits), his NS scene anthems "First Taste of Hurt", "Teasin You", "Teasin You Again" (+ a couple of his later cuts for United Artists & Capitol) AND with funk fans for the Gaturs outings.

He toured here playing both funk & NS scene clubs and I got to meet him twice. He was a truly modest guy with a great extended family.

.....The posting (on a blues list) that announced his passing.....

Mr. Turbinton secured his place in New Orleans music legend by producing and co-writing the Wild Magnolias' self-titled 1973 debut. That landmark

recording and the subsequent "They Call Us Wild," also produced by Mr. Turbinton, largely introduced the Mardi Gras Indians' distinctive street beats and chants to the world.

"In a city of treasures, he was rich in taste and tradition," said record producer and longtime friend Leo Sacks. "The depth, breadth, scope and command of his piano playing were profound. He helped shape the sound of New Orleans for more than four decades."

Mr. Turbinton's passing follows that of his older brother, modern jazz saxophonist Earl Turbinton, on Aug. 3. Survivors include his wife, Marilyn Martin Turbinton; a sister, Joyce Turbinton Gill; a daughter, Racquel Turbinton Bruno; and two

grandchildren.

A funeral is scheduled for Sept. 22 at Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church. Visitation is from 9 to 11 a.m., with a service to follow.

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Yes ,very sad.." Walking Up A One Way Street " is one the the tunes that got me interested in it all in the first place

RIP Willie

Bazza

I'll second that Bazza, back in the 60's, as a mod, I bought a UK Atlantic release of 'Walking Up A One Way Street' flipped with 'Thank You John'. Classic , classic Soul Music on one 45, absolutely beautiful.....

R.I.P. Wiilie Tee, you're music lives on.

Much respect

Dr Bob Jones

Social source share

Sad news indeed.

I am another who 'Walking Up A One Way Street' was one of those first batch of soul sounds to make an impression.

Just been playing 'Dedicated To You' the other side of my copy of 'Thank You John' (wonderful record)

Another Atlantic 45 I have 'I Want Somebody (To Show Me The Way Back home)'/You Better Say Yes is a worthy record that doesn't seem to get mentioned.

He has left a rich legacy and left us far too soon.

RIP

Pete

Social source share

A really sweet easy going guy with a big and happy family. Too unassuming to be a big star, he was tailor made for our scene and Walking Up A One Way Street didn't sell much outside of New Orleans and the UK. It was a unique style of soul that was so far removed from radio and mainstream soul that when you heard it in an Old Soul club you knew you were entering a different and exciting world.

Willie was badly affected by Katrina and had to relocate to New Jersey for some time, I'm sure he would have kept singing into his 80s a truly sad loss.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Just thought i'd add my condolences. 'Thank You John' arrived through the post a couple of days ago. Willie Tee was truly one of the greatest contributors to the scene, Walking Up A One Way Street, First Taste of Hurt, I'm Having So Much Fun and Thank You John all truly brilliant. I was just reading his website the other day all about his amazing contributions to soul and jazz.

Thanks for all the music Willie, a great legacy.

Social source share

Sweetsoul and its DJs add our condolenses to all that have gone before

on a personal note

At the Jazz Cafe had the pleasure and honour of introducing him to the audience and

that in itself is a story

But Himself his wife Daughter Racquel left me with some fond memories especially driving Round Stamford in Lincolnshire taking photos of an oldie world uk town.on a Sunday when its shut.

a sad loss to us all

and musically tremendous

R I P

SOUL is sad you are no longer with us

Social source share

Guest soulville

I've just posted on the essentialmodernsoul forum that i will be doing a tribute to Wille tomorrow 2-3.30pm

https://www.leithfm.co.uk

I write an article about Willie for Soul up North and you can read it here

https://soulvilleradio.wetpaint.com

in the published fanzine articles page

If anybody else has any MP3's of the Capitol, UA or Margie tunes please post them up here ( thank Eddie ) as I can't play vinyl on the radio (no decks) and I'd love to play some of those cuts.

Totally unique, soulful, jazzy and a great songwriter. The subject matter of "first taste of hurt" is so unusual, a song about a guy dumping a cute girl before he does it. My all time fave WT tune.

You can sign the guestbook at

https://willietee1.tripod.com/links.html

Great jukebox as well.

RIP Willie

George

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!