Soul On Gmtv

I've worked at GMTV for 6 years but have never managed to get any soul music on (apart from once I used "running away" by Sly and the Family Stone on a piece about a dog who kept running away) but today I used Wade in the Water - Marlene Shaw, on a competition VT featuring Tony Blackburn, I assured the producer that Tony would approve, knowing his love of soul. As we were doing several VTs, I tried to push a few more but she wasn't having it! It'll go to air this monday.

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've worked at GMTV for 6 years but have never managed to get any soul music on (apart from once I used "running away" by Sly and the Family Stone on a piece about a dog who kept running away) but today I used Wade in the Water - Marlene Shaw, on a competition VT featuring Tony Blackburn, I assured the producer that Tony would approve, knowing his love of soul. As we were doing several VTs, I tried to push a few more but she wasn't having it! It'll go to air this monday.

link

The American version of Wife Swap, two weeks ago, used Otis Clays 'The Only Way Is Up'. :no:

I wasn't watching the programme, it was just on :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

I remember when a guy worked there (from Nottingham originally I think) as Security, I got a phone call from him one morning and he put Tara Palmer Tomkinson on the line - he never said who she was and so I happily chatted away to her! He doesnt work there now, moved back up North as Prison Guard!! Last say him in 2003 at do in London!

Social source share

I remember when a guy worked there (from Nottingham originally I think) as Security, I got a phone call from him one morning and he put Tara Palmer Tomkinson on the line - he never said who she was and so I happily chatted away to her!  He doesnt work there now, moved back up North as Prison Guard!! Last say him in 2003 at do in London!

link

yeah I know him, he's a great guy, used toaccost me everyday in reception. I last saw himin prestatyn

Social source share

Guest rachel

link

Good stuff :thumbsup: I might even catch that as I will be a lady of leisure next week :no:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I remember when a guy worked there (from Nottingham originally I think) as Security, I got a phone call from him one morning and he put Tara Palmer Tomkinson on the line - he never said who she was and so I happily chatted away to her!  He doesnt work there now, moved back up North as Prison Guard!! Last say him in 2003 at do in London!

link

That's Mike Karen.

I also saw him at Prestatyn. Top bloke.

I went to watch an edition of 'Time Gentlemen Please', being filmed with some workmates. He came over to me in the queue, all very serious and asked me to step to one side. he took me into an ajoining room and said 'You're a Northern Soul boy, aren't you? I've seen you around.'

My mates and I all had front row seats :thumbsup:

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

link

Sounds cool Lisa.

Now, about the answers :thumbsup::no:

Social source share

link

========

Was his name Mick, used to wear full northern soul uniform?

Social source share

That's Mike Karen.

I also saw him at Prestatyn. Top bloke.

I went to watch an edition of 'Time Gentlemen Please', being filmed with some workmates. He came over to me in the queue, all very serious and asked me to step to one side. he took me into an ajoining room and said 'You're a Northern Soul boy, aren't you? I've seen you around.'

My mates and I all had front row seats  :thumbsup:

link

Sorry I did forget this name, yes I remember Michael he told me! Met him at Dome! Along with Sooty (I didnt realise they weren't mates!)

Yes he was quite serious I remember, he always seemed bit bemused by me!!

Mike if you see him again say Karen said hello (I couldnt talk to him much really last time I saw him, I was with Randy at launch of Crossfire nite)

Social source share

========

Was his name Mick, used to wear full northern soul uniform?

link

Mike, Mick, Michael - god how many different names does he use?!

Yes he did

Social source share

British wife swap was great for music, so I think that maybe the US ones are re-edited here

link

Gordon Ramsey's 'Kitchen Nightmares' had some nice soul tunes last week :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

'Angels' was good for the odd oddity, Granada Reports entry for the Tatton Park thingy is called the 'Northern Soul' garden and has a Dobie Gray loop behind the reports.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

GMTV

Get Me The Valium :thumbsup:

The British wife swap used lots of good soul records. I remember 'lover' - De-lites being used once.

I was a tea-boy on saturdays at BBC Radio Sheffield in the late 80s and one of my jobs was to fetch records from the vaults. I had no say at all and would have to pull out the Queen lps etc. I wonder what happened to all that vinyl down there? :no:

Shane

Social source share

There was a British film came out 2 years back called Once Upon A Time In The Midlands..I think it had him out of the Royal Family in it...anyway in one scene they are driving along in the car and "Bar-B-Q" by Wendy Rene blasts out on the soundtrack!

Oh, and "I don't need no doctor" was on one episode of Fantasy Love island :thumbsup:

Social source share

GMTV

Get Me The Valium  :thumbsup:

The British wife swap used lots of good soul records. I remember 'lover' - De-lites being used once.

I was a tea-boy on saturdays at BBC Radio Sheffield in the late 80s and one of my jobs was to fetch records from the vaults. I had no say at all and would have to pull out the Queen lps etc. I wonder what happened to all that vinyl down there?  :no:

Shane

link

Meet anybody famous while you were there ? :no:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Meet anybody famous while you were there ?  :thumbsup:

link

I did mate but i ain't going into it. All sporting btw. :no:

Shane

Social source share

The American version of Wife Swap, two weeks ago, used Otis Clays 'The Only Way Is Up'

Yep and because I hadn't heard it before I did a google and ended up wrongly buying the Latimore version. I still need the OC version so if anyone can suggest a comp cd it's on I'd be grateful.

The good news was the Latimore version was on "Southern Soul Celler 2" compiled by Peter Young and an excellent 2 cd set I don't regret buying

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

to slide sneakily away from the topic & into the world of film. This has been bugging me for a few years.....

Am I right in thinking that the dreadful "Thank God it's Friday" contains a snippet of what sounded like(I was in the next room at the time) a disco version of Shawn Robinson's 'My Dear Heart' Or had I just had too much of Norman's sherry?

Social source share

to slide sneakily away from the topic & into the world of film. This has been bugging me for a few years.....

Am I right in thinking that the dreadful "Thank God it's Friday" contains a snippet of what sounded like(I was in the next room at the time) a disco version of Shawn Robinson's 'My Dear Heart' Or had I just had too much of Norman's sherry?

link

That was a Simon Soussan job, he had a minor hit with it...and of course I can't remember what it's called now

Social source share

link

Hey Hurley,

2 records in 6 years..........I'm going to mark your card......... "could try harder"

Col.

Social source share

Hey Hurley,

2 records in 6 years..........I'm going to mark your card......... "could try harder"

Col.

link

it's all about how malleable the person you're working with is, and when to pounce, also you have to produce the CD from your bag in record time and I don't carry them around, but since you've lain the gauntlet I might......

Social source share

Back to the Northern on TV again and last nights Coronation St(yes, I know but it is life to some people). The cabby played by Craig Charles trying to convert 2 young passengers to Northern. He was playing the odd Decca CD "The Northern Scene" and he turned the car radio up during The Flirtations "Nothing But A Heartache" declaring it "classic Wigan Pier"???.

Paul

Note to myself: I Must get out more.

Social source share

GMTV

Get Me The Valium  :ohmy:

I was a tea-boy on saturdays at BBC Radio Sheffield in the late 80s and one of my jobs was to fetch records from the vaults. I had no say at all and would have to pull out the Queen lps etc. I wonder what happened to all that vinyl down there?  :P

Shane

link

But your name wasnt mike, mick or michael!!!

Social source share

it's all about how malleable the person you're working with is, and when to pounce, also you have to produce the CD from your bag in record time and I don't carry them around, but since you've lain the gauntlet I might......

link

Less excuses, more results please.

"malleable"......what sort of word is that? Have you swallowed a dictionary, or are you just making words up now?

Col.

ps Save up all the fees from your DJ spots, go buy yourself an I-pod then you won't need cds. whistling.gif

Social source share

Less excuses, more results please.

"malleable"......what sort of word is that?  Have you swallowed a dictionary, or are you just making words up now?

Col.

ps Save up all the fees from your DJ spots, go buy yourself an I-pod then you won't need cds. :thumbsup:

link

I'm going to start watching GMTV more often now just incase a top tune comes on, ..........Any chance of you presenting the weather Lisa... whistling.gif

Social source share

j. Ross plays some good tunes on radio 2 (think its Andy really) also John peel played the Carios when Adey released it

link

* A friend of mine that said he heard Showstoppers - Nothing but a houseparty in one episode of Back to Aidensfield

Social source share

Guest mattmale

The American version of Wife Swap, two weeks ago, used Otis Clays 'The Only Way Is Up'.  beer.gif

I wasn't watching the programme, it was just on  :D

link

The British version used Mack Rice-Baby i'm coming home, at the end once when the couples were reunited.... er so someone told me biggrin.gif

M.

Social source share

Guest funky4u

link

Good on you Lisa.

I noted a couple of years ago when there was a new surge in interest in Northern Soul (Re: KC ads, "Do I Love You" etc.) & a few of the Gardening shows on C4, & BBC 2 started to use old Soul & funk tracks, Booker T & The MGs etc...

I used to work for a regional BBC radio station (which shall remain nameless :huh::huh: ) One of my jobs was having to get the records & CDs out of the library (which of course in the day time was picked by a playlist computer!! :lol: ) But i was told should any of the tracks be missing I could exchange them for tracks of my choice...Well let's just say the playlist got a little more soulful... :D:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert