Feeling Ripped Off By A Promoter

spirit

I'm rather miffed with a promoter, and would like your opinion on whether I am right to be, and if so, what my consumer rights are.

I was kicked out of a venue for not paying, which was rather irritating for a few reasons, not least of which I did pay.

I'm a very boring person who has never been glamorous enough to be kicked out of anywhere before, and it's also rather galling because I've lost count of the number of times I've patiently waited at the money-table when I've arrived late at a venue for someone to see me and take my dosh.

That I've attended this particular promoter's events regularly, often the first on the floor or the last off it is arguably irrelevant, but annoying too. It's also frustrating because I actually enjoy their events and regret I won't be going back to any of them till this is resolved.

The promoters who did this also refused to refund a ticket for an event they cancelled, because it was too late for a return. I'd originally asked for a refund by phone soon after the event was cancelled, but they said I had to send the online-ordered ticket back by post for proof, but I never got round to it till they annoyed me a few months later and I enclosed it with my complaint in a letter.

They offered me free entry instead at the event they'd kicked me out from (worth a fraction of the price of the ticket), with no apology for wrongly kicking me out in the first place, which is really what I was after above all.

In short: they kicked me out for not paying, even though I'd paid; when I wrote to them asking for an apology and a refund on a ticket, they refused both, offering a fractional refund instead.

I didn't even ask for my money back for the night they kicked me out.

To be honest, I feel like I've been mugged, while being called a thief by the mugger.

What do you reckon?

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Whilst not getting involved in the specific issues in this case (although I will watch with interest as it all unfolds!) I just want to say that whoever (and wherever) it is should be ashamed because I personally think that you are a bonus to have at any soul night: You do my heart good just to see the enjoyment you appear to get from being out on the floor!!

Now folks back to the real interesting stuff.........................!!

Sharon

x

Social source share

Whilst not getting involved in the specific issues in this case (although I will watch with interest as it all unfolds!) I just want to say that whoever (and wherever) it is should be ashamed because I personally think that you are a bonus to have at any soul night: You do my heart good just to see the enjoyment you appear to get from being out on the floor!!

Now folks back to the real interesting stuff.........................!!

Sharon

x

Thanks Sharon, that's very kind.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

the venue name matters , if it was a "professional" venue then fair enough there are avenues i imagine to go down ..... if it was a backroom of a pub then live with it and move on .

so either name names or no one can help

Social source share

the venue name matters , if it was a "professional" venue then fair enough there are avenues i imagine to go down ..... if it was a backroom of a pub then live with it and move on .

so either name names or no one can help

It couldn't have been a pub back room,cos Spirit said he'd been refused a refund on a cancelled event by the same promoter.I for one don't think its ok to be ejected from even a pub venue in this manner.

Unless you've got previous with the promoter.

Social source share

Tell you what.mate,you're one of the nicest people that l have ever met....HOW F**KING DARE THEY!! To me you're like a breathe of fresh air!! thumbsup.gif

webby! After all the badmouthing of you I've done to people behind your back!

Seriously, that's lovely of you to say (though too charitable). Thank you.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

I'd add 'ever' to that mate and leave it like that.

There are plenty of do's on where the promoters treat the punters a bit better than that.

Cheers Simsy.

You are very right in principle, but I'm a pragmatist and know my non-attendance will mean nothing to them. On the other hand, as forgiving as I am, there are limits...

Social source share

I know exactly who Lee is talking about and it isn't the first time this promoter has been the subject of conversation on here.

The promoter should be thoroughly ashamed of himself, although going on past performances I can't see that happening!

Cheers Joan, your opinion means a lot to me.

Social source share

I'm rather miffed with a promoter, and would like your opinion on whether I am right to be, and if so, what my consumer rights are.

I was kicked out of a venue for not paying, which was rather irritating for a few reasons, not least of which I did pay.

Going back to your original post, surely you have some legal redress re the non-refund for the cancelled event? That's where I'd concentrate my efforts - especially as being a nice guy hasn't worked. Sod 'em and go for it!

-Kev

Social source share

Going back to your original post, surely you have some legal redress re the non-refund for the cancelled event? That's where I'd concentrate my efforts - especially as being a nice guy hasn't worked. Sod 'em and go for it!

-Kev

It's not the refund that's the issue.

It's the complete lack of respect and common decency that's been shown that's the problem.

Sorry, for answering on your behalf Lee!

Social source share

Thank you, Kev, but thought I'd better get opinion first.

Social source share

Believe it or not myself and Joan were singing your praises to each other last night.

We both agreed we could do with more like you on this scene.

Hope it all gets resolved to everyones satisfaction.

Best

Tabs

Cheers Joan, your opinion means a lot to me.

Social source share

A very offensive statement. Mike could you please remove.

We are thepromoters of Stoke, Blackpool and Whitby among others!

All successful.

Process of elimination whistling.gif

So it was'nt you ,only some of us have'nt got short memorie's and did go to WHITBY, and witnessed the probs yes.gif

Successful to you

Anyways now that your eliminated lets get back on topicthumbsup.gif

Social source share

It's the complete lack of respect and common decency that's been shown that's the problem.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

None of us are perfect - I just wanted an apology for lousy treatment. Other than that (and the refund), I've no beef with them. Whoever it is.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Believe it or not myself and Joan were singing your praises to each other last night.

We both agreed we could do with more like you on this scene.

Hope it all gets resolved to everyones satisfaction.

Thanks a lot, you are a great bloke. I really hate doing this on here, believe it or not. I've got better things to be doing with my time. I would like it resolved fairly and quickly and would have preferred it to be done privately, but don't know what else to do having failed through correspondence.

I just want an apology and a refund and advice on how to get that, or an explanation why I'm being unreasonable.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I've named them to anyone unfortunate enough to be cornered by me at various events, but won't do so here unless I'm given permission by the owner of the site.

then why bother posting it here ? another waste of a thread being ambiguous ....why do you need permission from mike to complain about a venue ?

Social source share

then why bother posting it here ? another waste of a thread being ambiguous ....why do you need permission from mike to complain about a venue ?

Because if the promoter is unfairly maligned on here, it may have legal or financial consequences for the site, and that is not my call to make.

It shouldn't really make a difference who it is as to what the opinion or advice is, I would have thought.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Guest biggray1

A very offensive statement. Mike could you please remove.

We are thepromoters of Stoke, Blackpool and Whitby among others!

All successful.

yet another marketing ploy. here we go again..another Roberts me me me me me me advert. Blackpool Whitby Stoke and others...:laugh: Struth.

Social source share

Might have been better to have put this in lookbacks , where reviews on events go

After all, that's why we have lookbacks.

So we can tell whoever it concerns how it went ,did we enjoy it,will we be going back?? constructive comments of courseshades

p.s i know who it was and i'm not telling:wicked: for fear of horses head in me bed:sad:

Social source share

thumbsup.gifI couldn't agee more Joan, and no promoter should feel they can act in this manner.

But, as respect and common decency are so obviously not on this promoters agenda, and as the question raised was "what are my consumer rights?", I let that form the basis of my reply.

Hope it all gets sorted amicably though.

- Kev

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Mike. Another personal attack against a successful promoter.

Please remove the comment and hopefully the author.

Your Posts allways read as a advertisment..successful Promoter etc..thats why members like me disaprove.Answer the thread with a constuctive answer or opinion...not sales talk and me me me me..got that ok. :sleep3:

Social source share

Your Posts allways read as a advertisment..successful Promoter etc..thats why members like me disaprove.Answer the thread with a constuctive answer or opinion...not sales talk and me me me me..got that ok. sleep3.gif

We are unsuccessful promoters and ask the moderators to erase Biggray1 from Soul Source, due to his agenda of personally attacking us at every opportunity.

Social source share