How Long Will N.soul Last

ulyssees

ok russ can agree with you up to a point , but can I ask

why do you say fancy dress

Because I feel it is inappropriate for 50 year old men to be wearing 40 inch bottom Spencer Soul Bags, but as I have stated earlier, then if thats what they want to do then fine.

you state

am passionate about my soul music and will defend the real scene to the end and I am right

who says you are right

so the many 100,s if not 1000,s who go to classic oldies nights every week are wrong and not real

You are missing the point again Ian, you have to realise that the original scene was based on new discoveries & even in the 8ts & early 9ts records were being played out regularly that were new discoveries, i didnt make this up myself, i am saying, my personal view point on the scene is similar in many ways to that. It was not an oldies based scene, the oldies nighters came later, but ran consecutively for many years, before becoming amalgamated. What i am saying about the oldies only nights & punters, is it does nothing to emulate what the original scene was all about, in fact it is as far away from the original scene as you can get.

you say

I wanna still feel the excitement of hearing a record played out for the first time etc

does this apply to all records heard for the first time or have you some discretion

I obviously dont necessarily like every record i hear played out, but what i can appreciate some times, is that even if i dont like the record personally the passion & comitment that the DJ's put into thier sets. 100 Club, full dance floors, Lifeline, full dance floors, Burnley, full dance floors..........

Social source share

Russ ,coming at this from a different angle,yes "The Scene" was/is about the music.But it was a lot more than that.It was about the people,the little clubs(and they were little)that played fantastic upbeat dance music,soul music yes,but dance music first and foremost,but also the drugs,the buzz and ,yes the fear(there was some serious characters about )the friendship,the nutters,the nicked cars,the chemists,the dancers,the watchers ---------I could go on and on--------just wait for Swishes book to give you a real idea of what went on---------What we have now is a desperate need to find the Holy Grail-----but people are coming up with a Tesco glass.Compare the music from The Wheel/Torch /Junction ETC with what is being played out at times now and there is no comparison (remember upbeat dance music).

If you are talking about rare soul then thats a different matter,but I would ask why is that track rare,is it because it only appeals to a small number of people?I don,t know.

What I do know is that I have heard tracks that are supposed to be rare /underplayed/crossover /whatever that I wouldn't make an ashtray out of.

I have walked into rooms at All nighters where they are playing Salsa-------if I want to hear that I will watch Strictly Come Dancing.I have walked into rooms and heared stuff that sounds like piss poor b sides,almost like being forced to listen to Morrissey.(Suicide,I would help the tw*t)

And that is part of the problem,because at times you will get "collectors"playing sets to anoraks(a bit like your analogy about the Midlands)that are just plain boring.(Remember upbeat dance music).

Yes you will get the nostalgia freaks who want to capture that "moment in time"but there was a lot before that ,and a lot after that that never gets played,that is a million times better than a lot af the stuff that gets played out now.Anyway I'm starting to waffle so over to you.

Steve

Agee entirely & lived the life too ph34r.gif.

I do know what you mean, but back then, finding records was like shooting fish in a barrel, the more discerning DJ's these days are still doing the business tho, Butch, Andy Dyson, Ady Croasdell, Carl Fortnum, & many others........also you have to realise, that the scene never ended for many like myself, so some of these records arnt the culture shock that they might be to some who had a long break & came back to a different scene, because the scene continues to progress, different sounds come in & out of vogue, many are not the traditional four to the floor, but are still worthy of nighter plays. To put it another way, if a punter had stopped attending Nighters Nighters from say '69 - '79, the scen they would have come back to, would have been very different musically even then.

I dont understand the hang up people have with the term Rare Soul......it doesnt matter to me if a record is worth £5 0r £5000 a good record is a good record, many oldies are very rare, does this make them bad records ?.

Within a night there will be records that i'm not personall keen on, i actually dance to, collect & enjoy many genres of 'Rare Soul' including Modern, Xover, Funky Soul, Latin etc, it still has to have the X factor though to make it an Allnighter hit !.

I am absolutely 100% up for the forgotten great oldies to be played, you know the ones that you have not heard for 20 years & many are almost like newies to some...........theyre what I consider to be propper oldies & to be honest, these are the records that will keep the scene fresh & exciting along with the few new discoveries coming through.

Great post Steve & thank you for taking the trouble to put a sensible debate forward.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Russ!...take that worm out you mouth yer loony!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

You'll never learn! biggrin.gif

I know mate i fall for it every time laugh.gif ............got a night off for a change, bored in Iraq & armed with a laptop.

Hope you are safe & well mate.

Russ

BTW WHAT WAS THAT 7TS RECORD YOU PLAYED IN sPAIN I ASKED YOU ABOUT, only a cheapie but wow, what a tune.......PM me if you can remember what it was, sure it was on same label as the Diplomats ???

Russ

Social source share

I obviously dont necessarily like every record i hear played out, but what i can appreciate some times, is that even if i dont like the record personally the passion & comitment that the DJ's put into thier sets. 100 Club, full dance floors, Lifeline, full dance floors, Burnley, full dance floors..........

dont really get your point

your version of things certainly doesnt square with me back in the late 60s we used to go to local youth clubs church halls welfares and listen and dance to contemporary music and some oldies,, then the motown and stax records came to the fore and these were getting played more and more the scene didnt just pop up overnight and older lads in our village went to stoke and other exotic places and brought back different sounds and these were in constant demand from the punters and so on thru the wheel ,wigan where the more enterprising dj,s at these venues sought out the sounds

yes back then we had celebrity dj,s but what about the artists

today as your post reads we have the cult of the dj (who as invested a significant sum in records) and as you say no matter of the quality of the music because a big name dj plays it at one of the clubs you mention it guarantees a full dancefloor,

discernin soul music punter or sycophancy

you tell me

Social source share

your version of things certainly doesnt square with me back in the late 60s we used to go to local youth clubs church halls welfares and listen and dance to contemporary music and some oldies,, then the motown and stax records came to the fore and these were getting played more and more the scene didnt just pop up overnight and older lads in our village went to stoke and other exotic places and brought back different sounds and these were in constant demand from the punters and so on thru the wheel ,wigan where the more enterprising dj,s at these venues sought out the sounds

today as your post reads we have the cult of the dj (who as invested a significant sum in records) and as you say no matter of the quality of the music because a big name dj plays it at one of the clubs you mention it guarantees a full dancefloor,

you tell me

Yep, your right I'm wrong..................see ya. Why do i bother, your obviously just not interested in anything anyone has to say about a current scene.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeee

Social source share

Mate, why do i bother...........hope you & Marie are well, hope to be home Xmas, so hopefully catch up, in the mean time I'll go stick some pins in my own eyes, I'm losing the will to live...........

Russ

All good here thanks Russ good.gif

would be great to catch up when you get back, hope all is going well for you out there and dont worry about pins just put your head up your arse like i do its the only way nowadays laugh.gif take care matey and see you soon good.gif

Bearsy & Marie

Social source share

you tell me

I have just read this post again, what is your problem, i dance to soul music, i dont give a f*ck who's playing it, what the hell are you talking about, you have obviously got some deep seated issues that you need to get sorted out, i never said anything of the sort that you are suggesting, look if you wanna listen to oldies forever crack on lofty, but dont put words in my mouth.............OMG, is that what you really think this is about, go back & read my posts again & then I'll read your apology later FFS.

rUSS

Social source share

I have just read this post again, what is your problem, i dance to soul music, i dont give a f*ck who's playing it, what the hell are you talking about, you have obviously got some deep seated issues that you need to get sorted out, i never said anything of the sort that you are suggesting, look if you wanna listen to oldies forever crack on lofty, but dont put words in my mouth.............OMG, is that what you really think this is about, go back & read my posts again & then I'll read your apology later FFS.

rUSS

the passion and commitment would be something to attribute to the artists

to me what you are sayin no matter what record is being played at the said venues the dance floor is always full

Edited by barney
Social source share

Guest stevejan

How long is a piece of string? I hope to be still dancin with the aid of a zimmer as do many others. I think there needs to be sheltered accommodation built ready for the soulies invasion............ Bridlington maybe?

Forget the weekenders etc....a few more years and we'll all be old enough to be considering 'Three Monthers'....yep all go out to Tenerife or wherever to soak up up the sun & soul.....Any promoter up there in Kendal willing to take that on?shades.gifthumbup.gif

Social source share

thanks for your reasonably considered much understated post my friend

maybe thats why some of us dont want to move on and turn into spitefull foul mouthed fundamentalists

Eh up Barney lad, you been talking to me too long about those Islamic buggers or what? lol!thumbup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

rUSS

btw white rabbits

to the prawn sandwich and latte soulies, apologies never

you go to your theatres of dreams and listen n shuffle to your parody of the beautifull sound

for me its pie n bovril forever whistling

Social source share

weasels :shhh: who? :yes:

offensive and pathetic, you should read your post.

I wouldn't listen to many of the midland s DJ's if they were on the garden, they are boring, nothing to interest me at all, playing the same stuff that we've been listening to for years and years.

please name drop the "more to the top 500", lets see just how interesting it is? give me some examples of these rare and fabulous records by Ian and others that keep the Midlands scene interesting, cause it's been far from that when I've attended venues down there. I used to go all over the Midlands at one time when I lived in Chesterfield but as certain promoters and DJ's got a foothold it became really boring, so boring I would sooner stop in than go to a venue 20 minutes away. So please give us some examples, you never know it might convert some of us back to the oldies nights if it's that interesting.

I help with one of the chin stroking events you mention but all I see when there is over three hundred soulies packing out the venue enjoying themselves and hardly a baggy pair of trousers or ridiculous circle skirt to be seen.

And I didn't see any so called jumped up fool deciding when it will be over for you?

This thread was suppose to be about, how long will Northern Soul be around for, but people like you & a few of the others, (& its always the same people) :sleep3: who seem to have a problem with folk who wear some of the clothes, it is YOU who is rude & offensive, about the way people dress, if you dont like what people wear to some of the Soul nights, thats tough!, we are not all going to change for you! But just think about it for a moment, how would you feel if someone insulted your girlfriend of wife for the way she looked?, & because we choose to stick up for ourselves you dont like it, well this is your wake up call!

If you insult people they will be offensive!

Back to the thread......For me, it will go on for as long as myself, Ian & all our friends enjoy a good dance, in clothes that are ideal to dance in, (if you like to move) :thumbup: with really nice people, (who dress vintage & modern), at great venues that play in my opnion the right sort of music, i would like to hear a bit more Antellects & Deadbeats, but im working on that! :lol:

If the scene did change to more of a modern music night, i would not be interested, & the impression im getting is that the modern scene is not very friendly, & all they seem to be interested in, is what other people are wearing (going by some of these threads), so there is plenty of :g: so no thank you to that!.

Debbie x

p.s (This is for the usual suspects), If in every thread you need to put people down for the way they dress, maybe its because your bored & got nothing else better to do :lol: , go & get yourself a hobby & enjoy your life :ohmy:

Edited by parkash
Social source share

btw white rabbits

to the prawn sandwich and latte soulies, apologies never

you go to your theatres of dreams and listen n shuffle to your parody of the beautifull sound

for me its pie n bovril forever

????????????????????????? say what ?. Explanation needed I'm afraid, gone right over my head i'm afraid.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I know mate i fall for it every time laugh.gif ............got a night off for a change, bored in Iraq & armed with a laptop.

Hope you are safe & well mate.

Russ

BTW WHAT WAS THAT 7TS RECORD YOU PLAYED IN sPAIN I ASKED YOU ABOUT, only a cheapie but wow, what a tune.......PM me if you can remember what it was, sure it was on same label as the Diplomats ???

Russ

Hi Russ,

I'm outta here in less than 48 hours! Had enough of chikin n rice to last me a freakin' lifetime! :(:lol:

oh...and that 45 was "You Can Do It By Yourself" by The Dynamos on Dynamo. Vocal and Instr on other side. Great record....and nice and cheap just as we like 'em! :thumbup::yes:

Bugger Me! Some askin' ME about a 70s ditty?....Oh No...I may have gone over to dark side!! nono.gif:D

Social source share

This thread was suppose to be about, how long will Northern Soul be around for, but people like you & a few of the others, (& its always the same people) :( who seem to have a problem with folk who wear some of the clothes, it is YOU who is rude & offensive, about the way people dress, if you dont like what people wear to some of the Soul nights, thats tough!, we are not all going to change for you! But just think about it for a moment, how would you feel if someone insulted your girlfriend of wife for the way she looked?, & because we choose to stick up for ourselves you dont like it, well this is your wake up call!

Back to the thread......For me, it will go on for as long as myself, Ian & all our friends enjoy a good dance, in clothes that are ideal to dance in, (if you like to move) :thumbup: with really nice people, (who dress vintage & modern), at great venues that play in my opnion the right sort of music, i would like to hear a bit more Antellects & Deadbeats, but im working on that! :lol:

If the scene did change to more of a modern music night, i would not be interested, & the impression im getting is that the modern scene is not very friendly, & all they seem to be interested in, is what other people are wearing (going by some of these threads), so there is plenty of :g: so no thank you to that!.

Debbie x

p.s (This is for the usual suspects), If in every thread you need to put people down for the way they dress, maybe its because your bored & got nothing else better to do whistling.gif , go & get yourself a hobby & enjoy your life :yes:

Aahhh, Shadupp and get back in the kitchen willya?! :lol:

Only joking! - I think you're 100% right. Wear what you want, do what you want, I don't really care as long as folks leave me alone to do the same. I like nothing better than being sat with a 75 year old black record producer dissecting the bass line from a 40 year old 45 but I sure appreciate that's not every bodys idea of a great Saturday night out!! You, crack on girl, long as you're smiling it don't really matter. :D

Social source share

To Barney - Hi there.You've obviously had a good night in Forest Town,got your passions stirring.Nothing wrong with FT or passion,if you like to hear the same tunes month in month out.That's your choice.I live 10 minutes from Kingsway Hall but decided to got 2 hours away to a nighter (Burnley).

Why? For the music,the dj's and the people.

Boring as you may find it ,some of these chinstroker types have been around since the start,collecting,travelling,breaking the sounds that are considered Oldies,running venues and putting in the miles supporting the scene.

The oldies scene is a comfort zone,nothing wrong with that.But take people out of that and what you get is comments like "Don't know this therefore it must be sh*t".

There's 2 scenes at least within NS.Rare and Oldies.The fervent oldies crowd in general don't want to know anymore,but the Rare crowd have been there done that and moved on.

Parkash (Ian and Debbie). - Before slating the "chinstroker" scene how about trying it?.Done the oldies thing myself back in the day,appeals to me now and again.You'll be going to Riley Hall with Carl Piper i take it??.No-one's really interested in your clothes other than you and your friends etc...don't take it too seriously what people say.

btw if you went to Burnley you could have heard Deadbeats.

How long will NS last.? Enjoy what you're doing,thats all we need to know.I have no wish to keep repeating the same night over and over again.

I NEED STIMULATION !!!!!!!

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Aahhh, Shadupp and get back in the kitchen willya?! :thumbup:

Watch it!

I think men should be in that kitchen! :yes:

Only joking! - I think you're 100% right. Wear what you want, do what you want, I don't really care as long as folks leave me alone to do the same. I like nothing better than being sat with a 75 year old black record producer dissecting the bass line from a 40 year old 45 but I sure appreciate that's not every bodys idea of a great Saturday night out!! You, crack on girl, long as you're smiling it don't really matter. thumbup.gif

Well said, yes enjoying yourself is the main thing! :lol:

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

To Barney - Hi there.You've obviously had a good night in Forest Town,got your passions stirring.Nothing wrong with FT or passion,if you like to hear the same tunes month in month out.That's your choice.I live 10 minutes from Kingsway Hall but decided to got 2 hours away to a nighter (Burnley).

Boring as you may find it ,some of these chinstroker types have been around since the start,collecting,travelling,breaking the sounds that are considered Oldies,running venues and putting in the miles supporting the scene.

The oldies scene is a comfort zone,nothing wrong with that.But take people out of that and what you get is comments like "Don't know this therefore it must be sh*t".

There's 2 scenes at least within NS.Rare and Oldies.The fervent oldies crowd in general don't want to know anymore,but the Rare crowd have been there done that and moved on.

Parkash (Ian and Debbie). - Before slating the "chinstroker" scene how about trying it?.Done the oldies thing myself back in the day,appeals to me now and again.You'll be going to Riley Hall with Carl Piper i take it??.No-one's really interested in your clothes other than you and your friends etc...don't take it too seriously what people say.

btw if you went to Burnley you could have heard Deadbeats .

How long will NS last.? Enjoy what you're doing,thats all we need to know.I have no wish to keep repeating the same night over and over again.

You don't have to go to Burnley to hear the Deadbeats you can hear it at Bentinck whistling.gifwhistling.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Social source share

Now im not just an oldies girl, i do like a bit of rare & underplayed & we have tried a couple of the (without being rude), "chinstroker nights", (im not putting anyones venue down), but it seemed a bit quite with no atmosphere, & it took along time for people to want to get on the dancefloor, a few times i have got up for a dance on an empty floor because of this!

We do go to Carl's nights, he always puts on a good do with a friendly welcome & people are on that dancefloor start to finish, thats the same for Mark & Rob the Grovnor lads, & im sure my partner Ian is looking forward to his dj spot there in Febuary, we will be hearing that Deadbeats then! thumbup.gif

So as long as Carl, Mark, Rob & all the great dj,s that play at these nights keep on going, so will we! :thumbup:

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

This thread was suppose to be about, how long will Northern Soul be around for, but people like you & a few of the others, (& its always the same people) :yes: who seem to have a problem with folk who wear some of the clothes, it is YOU who is rude & offensive, about the way people dress, if you dont like what people wear to some of the Soul nights, thats tough!, we are not all going to change for you! But just think about it for a moment, how would you feel if someone insulted your girlfriend of wife for the way she looked?, & because we choose to stick up for ourselves you dont like it, well this is your wake up call!

Back to the thread......For me, it will go on for as long as myself, Ian & all our friends enjoy a good dance, in clothes that are ideal to dance in, (if you like to move) :thumbup: with really nice people, (who dress vintage & modern), at great venues that play in my opnion the right sort of music, i would like to hear a bit more Antellects & Deadbeats, but im working on that! :D

If the scene did change to more of a modern music night, i would not be interested, & the impression im getting is that the modern scene is not very friendly, & all they seem to be interested in, is what other people are wearing (going by some of these threads), so there is plenty of :( so no thank you to that!.

Debbie x

p.s (This is for the usual suspects), If in every thread you need to put people down for the way they dress, maybe its because your bored & got nothing else better to do whistling.gif , go & get yourself a hobby & enjoy your life :lol:

Wake up call, I don't need one I'm wide awake, I'll need one at 3.30 in the morning though. And I don't need a hobby nor am I bored.

Wear what you want, I've said as much too. What has been said and is the opinion of more than just me is that the fashion of the 70's (as bad as it was then and still is) doesn't do much to help get youngsters onto the scene. Like it's been said they and others think it is cringe worthy to dress that way...and at the end of the day getting youngsters onto the scene is part of this discussion, it will help the scene prosper and carry on long after we've gone. Youngsters of today aren't into what was the dress code of some 30 years ago, they want something a bit more hip and they will go elsewhere to find it, not on a backward looking dance scene.

But like I said each to their own

If you want music like the antellects you'll have to venture to venues a bit more upfront than some of the venues in the Midlands. Maybe you should try somewhere like Lifeline and then you will see it is not all insipid midtempo and crossover. There are venues that are upfront that do cater for the dancers, not just the chinstrokers!!

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Wake up call, I don't need one I'm wide awake, I'll need one at 3.30 in the morning though. And I don't need a hobby nor am I bored.

Wear what you want, I've said as much too. What has been said and is the opinion of more than just me is that the fashion of the 70's (as bad as it was then and still is) doesn't do much to help get youngsters onto the scene. Like it's been said they and others think it is cringe worthy to dress that way...and at the end of the day getting youngsters onto the scene is part of this discussion, it will help the scene prosper and carry on long after we've gone. Youngsters of today aren't into what was the dress code of some 30 years ago, they want something a bit more hip and they will go elsewhere to find it, not on a backward looking dance scene.

But like I said each to their own

If you want music like the antellects you'll have to venture to venues a bit more upfront than some of the venues in the Midlands. Maybe you should try somewhere like Lifeline and then you will see it is not all insipid midtempo and crossover. There are venues that are upfront that do cater for the dancers, not just the chinstrokers!!

The dress thing is a difficult one, im not agreeing or disagreeing, but ive seen some really dodgy up to date clothes worn..yes.gif ..

Social source share

true, suppose there are dodgy clothes from every era.....

Yes i can agree with that!

Even with modern fashion, some people dont suit some styles no.gif

You have just got to be yourself & dress for yourself yes.gif

I have had a couple of young girls come up to me at a venue, who loved seeing the circle skirts, as they have never seen the vintage dress before, its great to see them take an interest! :D

Im afraid im just an old Historian who loves a bit of vintage history! laugh.gif

But the main thing is, enjoy your music! thumbup.gif

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Here's an idea, see what ya think,

However long there is left it will be over one way or another before you know it,

So how's about gettin on with whatever it is that floats ya boat, and leave everyone else to do the same? Whatever they wear or listen/dance to whilst doing so,

Seems a reasonable concept to me,

Maybe?

Social source share

Here's an idea, see what ya think,

However long there is left it will be over one way or another before you know it,

So how's about gettin on with whatever it is that floats ya boat, and leave everyone else to do the same? Whatever they wear or listen/dance to whilst doing so,

Seems a reasonable concept to me,

Maybe?

Sounds superb to me :D

Debbie x

Social source share

could have gone to at least 3 other venues within 30 minutes of where I live on the night but chose to travel for over an hour for the same reasons

could say this most w/ends went to drax friday not even posted on events and travelled 30 plus miles passing 1 venue only 10 mins from home

have already stated dont do niters , because of the music at the ones I have attended,,and have better things to do on a sunday than stay in bed all day or try and stay awake feeling knackered

do attend across the board venues and most are ok , but then one gets put off when you go to a venue and you hear the dj say this is the latest

massive sound played out at so and so, and continues in this vein yes the odd ones are good but most dont do it for me and same for the punters because tumbleweed was blowin across the normally busy dancefloor.

likewise at a so called progressive foreign event le grande fromage dj plays a certain number proclaiming this is the best ever monster awesome sound and plays it at every opportunity not only him but several more dj,s get on the bandwagon , when we get home the missus (normally level headed and non violent) says if she hears that******** record again she will strangle the dj after restraining her at several venues where it as been played ,,may do the deed myself.

so I am not an oldies only person but why should I attend a venue on someones say so .when from what I have heard as examples being played at these venues leave me cold,

yes people have a right to express their opinions but please dont tell me where I should go or what I might like when they dont really know me

I know that I may come across as an ignorant uncouth unwashed dingle but please dont patronise me

Social source share

Social source share

could have gone to at least 3 other venues within 30 minutes of where I live on the night but chose to travel for over an hour for the same reasons

could say this most w/ends went to drax friday not even posted on events and travelled 30 plus miles passing 1 venue only 10 mins from home

have already stated dont do niters , because of the music at the ones I have attended,,and have better things to do on a sunday than stay in bed all day or try and stay awake feeling knackered

do attend across the board venues and most are ok , but then one gets put off when you go to a venue and you hear the dj say this is the latest

massive sound played out at so and so, and continues in this vein yes the odd ones are good but most dont do it for me and same for the punters because tumbleweed was blowin across the normally busy dancefloor.

likewise at a so called progressive foreign event le grande fromage dj plays a certain number proclaiming this is the best ever monster awesome sound and plays it at every opportunity not only him but several more dj,s get on the bandwagon , when we get home the missus (normally level headed and non violent) says if she hears that******** record again she will strangle the dj after restraining her at several venues where it as been played ,,may do the deed myself.

so I am not an oldies only person but why should I attend a venue on someones say so .when from what I have heard as examples being played at these venues leave me cold,

yes people have a right to express their opinions but please dont tell me where I should go or what I might like when they dont really know me

I know that I may come across as an ignorant uncouth unwashed dingle but please dont patronise me

Not telling you where to go,or patronising you,just tired of hearing how bad the rare/chinstroker scene is.

Don't want a fall out here,but if you want discussion on a forum..................thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Soul will still be going strong for generations to come, there are many 20 somethings into it now and I'm getting my 1 year old step-grandaughter into it, she was bobbing her head to some Motown classics this morning. When she's a bit older I'll start playing her oldies, rare soul, R&B, a bit of modern and tell her that it's ALL soul. Maybe when she starts going to niters in her 20s all this oldies vs rare vs modern vs CDs vs vinyl vs north vs south vs the kitchen sink crap will have evaporated into the annals of time and people will venture to soul events just to have a good time eh? :thumbup:

Gordon

Social source share

The Northern Soul Scene - in all it's 57 varieties - will last for as long as there are people still feeling passionate enough about it, one way or another, in the way displayed in this and other threads.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not telling you where to go,or patronising you,just tired of hearing how bad the rare/chinstroker scene is.

Don't want a fall out here,but if you want discussion on a forum..................thumbsup.gif

point taken kev its gerrin like united versus chelsea etc

we are all probably as guilty ,for stickin up for our take on this fantastic scene and maybe we will all come together at some point in the not too distant future and laugh at our petty squabbles

just hope that all of us in the scene keep going and that the youngens and theres plenty of them carry it on

cheers bri

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Lots of comments since I posted this, but very few prepared to predict how long the scene will last so I will stick my neck out and give us all at least another 15 yrs. I'm basing this on average age of attendees at soul nights, 48ish? and also looking at the rock 'n' roll scene which predates ours by 7/8 yrs. Mind you I did once think it would all be over once the 70's started! nice to be proved wrong.

Do whats right, not whats white. (extra point if you remeber who wrote this.)

Ulyssees.

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Hi all.

Lots of comments since I posted this, but very few prepared to predict how long the scene will last so I will stick my neck out and give us all at least another 15 yrs. I'm basing this on average age of attendees at soul nights, 48ish? and also looking at the rock 'n' roll scene which predates ours by 7/8 yrs. Mind you I did once think it would all be over once the 70's started! nice to be proved wrong.

Do whats right, not whats white. (extra point if you remeber who wrote this.)

Ulyssees.

Dubya???????

Social source share

Guest stevejan

Soul will still be going strong for generations to come, there are many 20 somethings into it now and I'm getting my 1 year old step-grandaughter into it, she was bobbing her head to some Motown classics this morning. When she's a bit older I'll start playing her oldies, rare soul, R&B, a bit of modern and tell her that it's ALL soul. Maybe when she starts going to niters in her 20s all this oldies vs rare vs modern vs CDs vs vinyl vs north vs south vs the kitchen sink crap will have evaporated into the annals of time and people will venture to soul events just to have a good time eh? wink.gif

Gordon

Brainwashing?....hmmm maybe we can get it on the school curriculim...start em at say 4 years old...gonna Loktite the headphones to my grandson tomorrow night....By the time he's ten years old he'll be dying for grandad to kick the bucket so he can have all my records.(I've got news for him though they're going in the coffin with me...that'll be a laugh watching 6 men trying to carry a ton o' records)

Edited by stevejan
Social source share

Brainwashing?....hmmm maybe we can get it on the school curriculim...start em at say 4 years old...gonna Loktite the headphones to my grandson tomorrow night....By the time he's ten years old he'll be dying for grandad to kick the bucket so he can have all my records.(I've got news for him though they're going in the coffin with me...that'll be a laugh watching 6 men trying to carry a ton o' records)

What a superb image that just conjured up!!!laugh.gif You should copyright that before soembody from Granada reads it and writes it in Coronation Street!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!