United Sound Of Soul

What a fantastic night!!!

Didn't arrive til gone 9pm due to the stupid average speed checks on the M6. WTF are they all about?

Anyway, all the DJ's were excellent and it would be very unfair of me to single anyone out.

That said, I really enjoyed Phil's, Chris's, Kenny's, Kitch's, Mr & Mrs W's and Chalky's spots :rolleyes:

Great stuff :yes:

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Didn't arrive til gone 9pm due to the stupid average speed checks on the M6. WTF are they all about?

Anyway, all the DJ's were excellent and it would be very unfair of me to single anyone out.

That said, I really enjoyed Phil's, Chris's, Kenny's, Kitch's, Mr & Mrs W's and Chalky's spots biggrin.gif

Great stuff thumbup.gif

laugh.gif ...I waited for someone else to start the thread and gave up but by the time I'd written it, you beat me to it...laugh.gif

Can someone please merge the threads...ta...thumbsup.gif

That said, I really enjoyed Phil's, Chris's, Kenny's, Kitch's, Mr & Mrs W's and Chalky's spots biggrin.gif

Great stuff :)

Joan you certainly did enjoy the night, great to see serious soulies giving it some on the dance floor.

Last night musically was a bit up and down to me, l'm far from saying it was pant's because on the whole there where some fantastic tracks played, Chalky played one l had'nt heard for many years and l danced me feet off to it, can't remember what it's called though, brought back real memories.

Carl and Maria Willingham did a cracking spot, a few l'd never heard before, that were great, well done guy's. As Joan said it is unfair to pick out one or two, because they all played well, and if something played was'nt to my taste, then so what, it was to the others who packed the dance floor.

Thanks to Sharon, Kevin, and Martyn, for another good night, and the company was just right, did'nt stop laughing all night, mostly at the expense of some who l won't mention for their entertainment qualities.

Sandi x

Guest SoulRenaissance

Great stuff thumbup.gif

The thread may be slow going, but judging by last night certainly wasn't. To all who came, dj's who played, dealers who plied their wares, you all made for a great night, which is growing in stature with everyone. The number of travellers from the four corners of the Uk increases likewise, the word is out. Yorkshire, London, Northants, etc. etc. etc.

Some of the tunes played were of the highest calibre, soul music as it should be. Not sacrificing quality for danceability, we had it all. USOS was highly honoured with the dj's on the rosta, and hopefully they will return at a later date of their choice.

I just can't get enough these days.

Some of the new faces were just openmouthed at some of the records played. Another big turnout again. Some people were suprised? There's still more to come. As i said on the thread leading up to the event, words to the effect of 'quality always rises to the top'. Like a good cake: taste it, savour it, and enjoy it.

We don't need to shout about how good this venue is, it speaks for itself really. We just go about our business quietly.

Next year there's more top names and collectors lined up, with the usual no bullshit formula. Some later finish evening events, and three niters. Keep your ear out for these.

Thanks to all on behalf of Sharon, Kevin, and Martyn.

PS

All the very best for Xmas and New Year if we don't see you over the coming month.

Some of the tunes played were of the highest calibre, soul music as it should be. Not sacrificing quality for danceability, we had it all. 'quality always rises to the top'. don't need to shout about how good this venue is, it speaks for itself really.

Well said Martyn, l agree, this is a venue that offers quality for your money.

With venues like this and Lifeline it's money well spent at a bargain.

It works well because it has the main ingredients to succeed, the venue, the music policy, the people and the promoters.

Great stuff keep it up.

Sandi x

I have no connection with U.S.O.S. and with the amount of "projects" on my plate, at the moment, have no need to kiss the promoters arses to secure a spot in 2010, and not suggesting for a minute that anyone else would do this, though I do respect and like the promoters of this event - so my opinion is an honest one, but bear in mind, it is only my opinion! I personally think that U.S.O.S. is one of the better Soul Nights in the country, musically using the cream of D.J.'s throughout the Country, and consequently attracting a good crowd, and in fairness to Saturday, numbers were very good, considering the amount of quality things on in the country, and I really think that 2010 should be an excellent year, and I intend to get to this, as often as I can!! I think you have a great little thing going now, in Walsall, but I'm surprised that you're going into the "Lion's Den" of competition that is the Allnighter "Market" what do think you will be offering that Lifeline, Bidds, Maxims, Radcliffe, Rugby, Burnley, 100 Club, King's Hall etc don't? In essence, You've got a great thing, why change, or jeoprdise it?

Des Parker

Edited by SOUL.INC

I was a bit apprehensive at first as to how many would be in attendance with the amount of events on this weekend but as soon as Nick Stevenson and myself walked in any doubts were quickly dispelled. Large crowd and the music was right up my street with great sets from Kenny Onions and Chris Jones although all the DJ's did the business with quality sets. Has to be the best soul night I have been to in a long time.

Hope those who got one enjoy the cd :thumbsup:

Guest SoulRenaissance

I have no connection with U.S.O.S. and with the amount of "projects" on my plate, at the moment, have no need to kiss the promoters arses to secure a spot in 2010, and not suggesting for a minute that anyone else would do this, though I do respect and like the promoters of this event - so my opinion is an honest one, but bear in mind, it is only my opinion! I personally think that U.S.O.S. is one of the better Soul Nights in the country, musically using the cream of D.J.'s throughout the Country, and consequently attracting a good crowd, and in fairness to Saturday, numbers were very good, considering the amount of quality things on in the country, and I really think that 2010 should be an excellent year, and I intend to get to this, as often as I can!! I think you have a great little thing going now, in Walsall, but I'm surprised that you're going into the "Lion's Den" of competition that is the Allnighter "Market" what do think you will be offering that Lifeline, Bidds, Maxims, Radcliffe, Rugby, Burnley, 100 Club, King's Hall etc don't? In essence, You've got a great thing, why change, or jeoprdise it?

Des Parker

A good point Des, and any similar comments always welcome.

First of all were not abandoning what we've been doing, but adding to it. It seems a natural progression.

The people who we attract on the whole, but not all are ones who will equally do niters, or good quality soul nights. Many don't do niters much these days because the most of the current niters don't appeal. We will fill this gap.

It happened with Albrighton. And for a while many were touting it as the best niter because it brought something else, we never sacrificed our core principles or music policy. And was a massive success. It was the only time i made any money out of the whole thing, and enhanced our reputation. I don't expect to make money, but it was a bonus and only enabled me to recoup some of the £1000's i'd spent financing various soul nights.

Regarding the 'lion's den' bit. You can either let it get to you or not. Having plenty of experience of promoting in various guises, dayers, niters, and soul nights we are aware of the pitfalls and drawbacks. If i'd have been someone of this type to buckle under, i'd have given up years ago.

On the plus side, most of our overheads are lower so we'll not see a massive increase in entry fee. Were not in this for money, or egotistical purposes.

Of all the niters it would probably come closest to Lifeline, but it still has it's own unique slant on things. USOS as all the venues i've been involved with since 1993 have been different and had their own identity. It's attracted people because of this.

Take for instance dj selection policy, there ain't no venue on the niter curcuit that is the same as what were doing. It's what makes USOS work, we've set our own standards.

Without going any further, where many venues are experiencing dropping attendances. We are increasing like a small number of others, because we are different.

Of the niters listed, if they were doing what we do, we wouldn't exist. Full stop.

Martyn

I certainly admire your determination, Martyn, and you certainly don't sound as if you're going to do things by half, striving to put on what we all hope will be the best allnighter in the country, and plugging the gap in the market for something different. Well I, for one will certainly be there, if it's gonna be as good as you intonatethumbup.gif

Save me a space in January

Des Parker

A good point Des, and any similar comments always welcome.

First of all were not abandoning what we've been doing, but adding to it. It seems a natural progression.

The people who we attract on the whole, but not all are ones who will equally do niters, or good quality soul nights. Many don't do niters much these days because the most of the current niters don't appeal. We will fill this gap.

It happened with Albrighton. And for a while many were touting it as the best niter because it brought something else, we never sacrificed our core principles or music policy. And was a massive success. It was the only time i made any money out of the whole thing, and enhanced our reputation. I don't expect to make money, but it was a bonus and only enabled me to recoup some of the £1000's i'd spent financing various soul nights.

Regarding the 'lion's den' bit. You can either let it get to you or not. Having plenty of experience of promoting in various guises, dayers, niters, and soul nights we are aware of the pitfalls and drawbacks. If i'd have been someone of this type to buckle under, i'd have given up years ago.

On the plus side, most of our overheads are lower so we'll not see a massive increase in entry fee. Were not in this for money, or egotistical purposes.

Of all the niters it would probably come closest to Lifeline, but it still has it's own unique slant on things. USOS as all the venues i've been involved with since 1993 have been different and had their own identity. It's attracted people because of this.

Take for instance dj selection policy, there ain't no venue on the niter curcuit that is the same as what were doing. It's what makes USOS work, we've set our own standards.

Without going any further, where many venues are experiencing dropping attendances. We are increasing like a small number of others, because we are different.

Of the niters listed, if they were doing what we do, we wouldn't exist. Full stop.

Martyn

I must admit I'm a bit bias when it comes to the USOS, when I was getting a bit fed up of the run of mill soul nights Kenny advised me to take a look at what then was the AP Club at Sandbach. Immediately I liked what I heard and saw. These guys really knew how to put a soul night on, the music was always quality, rare soul with a nice mix of crossover tunes, again the emphasis on quality!!! So many other soul nights fail to tick the boxes because they concentrate on numbers first and music last.

However Kev, Sharon and Martyn really know how to put a great soul night together, Saturday was just another very fine example of this. The DJ's blended together perfectly , the music was outstanding and the venue was right for the job. What's also rare these days is promoters who listen, all the points that people raise, they will take in and digest and make very wise decisions based on the punters opinions. I can see it working either as a nighter or a soul night but not as a mini all-nighter. Des has already pointed out there is a lot of well established all-nighters at the moment, however how many of them offer the real sort of quality that USOS does? One or two spring to mind that have real quality, but there's a lot that don't and really stand in the way for others to grow.

2010 will be interesting for them and I'm sure we'll see them grow from strength to strength. Well done to all for making 2009 a very memorable year.

Edited by Tony Foster

Sorry not my usual prompt reviw, tried to put a new programme on the PC Sun to record Audio, got a lot further than past attempts, only to till get the same result....its not happening Again!!!,

Anyway on a pretty awful night, weatherwise, not in soul terms, with Burnley etc..also on, numbers were a little down, but had a great night.

Spent a lot of the night chatting or looking at records, unusual for me these days, first time i hit the floor, i continued across almost hitting the far wall, too slippy in the central area for my leather soles.

Old mates Bod and Ken O were on, some great stff heard, including one or two i didn't know that really impressed me, top marks must go to Maria and Carl for a great spot, finally left just before Chalky's spot was over, he once again prooved the fact that great records dont have to be expensive, Mighty Marvellows was as good as any all night, and is still a joy to dance to, as is Billy Hambric(I found etc..)

See you in the new year at the next one....here's to another successful year for USOS

PH xx

Des has already pointed out there is a lot of well established all-nighters at the moment, however how many of them offer the real sort of quality that USOS does? One or two spring to mind that have real quality, but there's a lot that don't and really stand in the way for others to grow.

2010 will be interesting for them and I'm sure we'll see them grow from strength to strength. Well done to all for making 2009 a very memorable year.

Hi Tony.

As a promoter of one of the afformentioned nighters that Des referred to, I'd be interested in which one or two 'have real quality', and which others 'stand in the way' for others to grow :thumbup:

I'm sure the promoters of all the other nighters mentioned would also find this interesting reading.

Nowt wrong with slapping your mates on the back for a good night out, but, quite frankly, I personally find these comments extremely insulting to all the promoters who put these events on.

Regards

Mace

Edited by Mace

well I don't know ,been shouting for usos since it started, :thumbup: and people are listening :lol: and looking at the no bullshit feedback, :lol: always a top quality nite with a huge following thats never taken for granted, had a real great time sat, even though I was very much down in the dumps, after the first hour my nite soon brightened up, as always the music always lifts you does it not, I think a niter is defo in order , a natural progression of the progressive music policy thats not like any other venue and should not be liked to one either, usos stands in its own glory and its own music, we are all there for the same reason, to hear and dance to the tunes that enlighten our ears, and even I don't like every single record thats played, some DJ.s I like more than others and I take no prisoners for that, and make no apologies either, because at the end of the day, having the right blend of DJ,s and music, and for no other reason than to give all a great nite out, and to give everyone a fair crack of the whip, and to give everyone who attends the right blend of tunage so that everyone is happy 99% of the time,,WORKS..so I look forward to another exciting year in 2010 :thumbup:

Hi Tony.

As a promoter of one of the afformentioned nighters that Des referred to, I'd be interested in which one or two 'have real quality', and which others 'stand in the way' for others to grow :ohmy:

I'm sure the promoters of all the other nighters mentioned would also find this interesting reading.

Nowt wrong with slapping your mates on the back for a good night out, but, quite frankly, I personally find these comments extremely insulting to all the promoters who put these events on.

Regards

Mace

Hi Mace, none of the nighters that Des mentioned sprung to mind as standing in the way, but there are dozens of mediocre events every week that people attend for the first time and come away with a bad impression of what the Northern scene is all about. I admire anyone for trying as it's really difficult to get a new venue off the ground, however do we really need anymore venues, there's more than enough to go round. Less in the long run will be more.

Edited by Tony Foster

I had a great night, the music was great quality, and I especially enjoyed Chris's and Kitch's sets...great mixes of lesser known tunes with better known, but underplayed ones. Great to hear Kenny playing Mike Jiminez....you don't hear that out often enough. Fantastic night with all the key ingredients spot on, music, sound system, venue, and even a free buffet after a few plates of sandwiches were "liberated" from the wedding next door...thumbup.gif ...., shame we had to leave before Chalky got to the decks though.

Whether USOS goes to all-nighters or not is irrelevant IMO, 'cos the difference is only a couple of hours, so I don't see what the big deal is provided that the standard is held high.

Certainly looking forward to guesting in January...thumbsup.gif

Sorry im a bit late in posting, what can i add to what has already been posted? Spent time with some of the best people on this scene of ours, listening to an eclectic mix of sounds from all involved, & going away with more tunes in the little black book.

Thanks to Kev,Martin & Sharon for asking me along to spin a few, all the best for the coming year im sure what ever way you go this is one venue for the diary.

Sets i enjoyed? g.gif (all of them) :thumbup:

Ken

Still not back on-line yet after our house move, so thought I would take the opportunity to use my work pc whistling.gif to post some feedback!!

What a great night!!!! thumbup.gif

Is that enough...??!!

As always, music was top notch - no politics and no policies just a great smattering of tunes to suit all tastes. With such a fantastic bunch of peeps promoting and supporting then the night is complete!

If you've not been before, you're missing a trick.....

Keep up the good work troops! thumbsup.gif

Crystal Tipps and Ferrett xx

About time I added my bit to our last lookback of 2009 firstly a big thankyou to all the dj's excellent sets from all of them and it was great to have so many people in to hear Kev's early spot, personally I really enjoyed the night so much so that my feet we're aching on Sunday :thumbup:, if any of you wanna put your playlists up please feel free.

To everyone that came on Saturday I hope that you had as good a night as I did your support is much appreciated by the promoters and the dj's, oh and as for the free buffet we didn't know anything about it :ohmy::lol: first I knew was as I looked across the room there was a tray of sarnies being carried in mid air through the crowd but I did bring the sweeties.

So onto 2010, our first date is 16th January details are in the events calender on here and on our website address below and our first nighter is for our 3rd Anniversary in April we'll be doing 3 nighters next year and 3 soul nights with a 4am finish, the nighters have been in the pipeline for a while now but we just needed to find a venue that would give us the later finish and as you all know we've had quite a few problems this year with venues.

That's it from me as I'm not very good at doing lookbacks, once again a big thanks to all dj's and supporters throughout the year we couldn't have done it without you and we look forward to seeing you in 2010.

Sharon

Guest SoulRenaissance

I certainly admire your determination, Martyn, and you certainly don't sound as if you're going to do things by half, striving to put on what we all hope will be the best allnighter in the country, and plugging the gap in the market for something different. Well I, for one will certainly be there, if it's gonna be as good as you intonatethumbup.gif

Save me a space in January

Des Parker

I don't know about the best niter bit Des, we'll just give things a shot. Myself, Kevin, and Sharon at this present time have no ambitions to become major players on the niter scene, unless things change dramatically. So no chance of getting thrown to the lions!

Martyn

Guest SoulRenaissance

Hi Tony.

As a promoter of one of the afformentioned nighters that Des referred to, I'd be interested in which one or two 'have real quality', and which others 'stand in the way' for others to grow ohmy.gif

Regards

Mace

Come on Mace you've got broad shoulders, and that 'legendary' sense of humour.

I'm just baffled though, why should you or anyone be offended? The comments Tony made probably won't even register with the promoters.

At the end of the day, for better or worse. The majority of niter promoters are doing a good job, so keep it up. I don't envy you lot one bit.

Martyn

Guest SoulRenaissance

I don't know about the best niter bit Des, we'll just give things a shot. Myself, Kevin, and Sharon at this present time have no ambitions to become major players on the niter scene, unless things change dramatically. So no chance of getting thrown to the lions!

Martyn

A final posting from me. One correction since Sharon posted, the soul nights will now finish at 3am, not 4am.

The dj lineup as follows, or as near dammit. Special guests for the evening will be Soul Sam, Cliff Steele, John 'boy' Weston, Chic, the Attic lads, and 'young Neil Felton. That's January 16th 2010.

Some quality tunes amongst that lot, some rare ones too.

Have a good Xmas.

Martyn

Come on Mace you've got broad shoulders, and that 'legendary' sense of humour.

I'm just baffled though, why should you or anyone be offended? The comments Tony made probably won't even register with the promoters.

Martyn, if you read Tony's original post properly it is easy to understand why I responded the way I did.

I read his post quite a few times to ensure I wasn't having a knee jerk reaction.

His wording implies that one or two of the current niters listed by Des were of decent quality, whilst the rest 'stood in the way'.

His words, not mine.

It's nowt to do with my sense of humour or broad shoulders.....if I feel some-one is having a dig, I'll confront them.

There are plenty of ambiguous posts made on this site...you've made more than a few yourself, so perhaps if someone has got something negative or critical to say about an event/promoter/DJ etc then get to the point and at least have the bollox to name said event or person ....otherwise maybe it's best to stay :thumbup:

Besides which, Tony has already replied to my post and also PMed me.

I was quite happy to leave it at that (as I'm sure Tony would prefer), however, if you feel the need to continue this discussion then carry on....I've got all night.

Martyn, if you read Tony's original post properly it is easy to understand why I responded the way I did.

I read his post quite a few times to ensure I wasn't having a knee jerk reaction.

His wording implies that one or two of the current niters listed by Des were of decent quality, whilst the rest 'stood in the way'.

His words, not mine.

It's nowt to do with my sense of humour or broad shoulders.....if I feel some-one is having a dig, I'll confront them.

There are plenty of ambiguous posts made on this site...you've made more than a few yourself, so perhaps if someone has got something negative or critical to say about an event/promoter/DJ etc then get to the point and at least have the bollox to name said event or person ....otherwise maybe it's best to stay :thumbup:

I was quite happy to leave it at that (as I'm sure Tony would prefer), however, if you feel the need to continue this discussion then carry on....I've got all night.

Mace

I really just think Martyn was trying to smooth things over and obviously wouldn't have known that Tony had pm'd you.

Hope to see you soon.

Sharon

Guest Spinning Vinyl

WOW what a night, these nights are what makes the rare soul scene what it is, great music, enthusiastic and knowledgeable people. As was prementioned you couldnt put a number one on any of the spots as they were all bang on the nail. Thanks Sharon, Kev & Martyn for allowing me to grace the steels for an hour, I really enjoyed it, even played a modern tune (shock !!!) lol Thanks for all the comments about my set they are appreciated ... the cheques are in the post hah! Looking forward to more USOS vibes in 2010 thumbup.gif

ps .. Great CD by Chalky too

Forgot to mention yesterday that I found a carrier bag with a pair of flat black shoes and a brolly in it, if anyone knows who's they are can you tell them to get in touch with me.

Thanks Sharon

Dont forget those really sexy knickers that were also in the bag too......size 12 i think....:rolleyes:

Edited by munchkin
Guest SoulRenaissance

His words, not mine.

There are plenty of ambiguous posts made on this site...you've made more than a few yourself, so perhaps if someone has got something negative or critical to say about an event/promoter/DJ etc then get to the point and at least have the bollox to name said event or person ....otherwise maybe it's best to stay shhh.gif

Well you've obviously got a bee in your bonnet Mace. Point taken. Was he having a dig though? There's plenty of ambiguous posts, etc. but you only seem to react when you want to. I'll leave you to

Guest SoulRenaissance

His words, not mine.

There are plenty of ambiguous posts made on this site...you've made more than a few yourself, so perhaps if someone has got something negative or critical to say about an event/promoter/DJ etc then get to the point and at least have the bollox to name said event or person ....otherwise maybe it's best to stay shhh.gif

Well you've obviously got a bee in your bonnet Mace. Point taken. Was he having a dig though? There's plenty of ambiguous posts, etc. but you only seem to react when you want to. I'll leave you to

Guest SoulRenaissance

His words, not mine.

Posted the last one before i finished. First of all Mace it didn't seem offensive, secondly how should i know he's pm'd you? Thirdly if it didn't appear in my last post, i do not have any axe to grind with anyone at this present time. I did not have to post, just thought it would take what seemed like the heat out of any situation that could develop. I'll leave it next time.

Martyn

Posted the last one before i finished. First of all Mace it didn't seem offensive, secondly how should i know he's pm'd you? Thirdly if it didn't appear in my last post, i do not have any axe to grind with anyone at this present time. I did not have to post, just thought it would take what seemed like the heat out of any situation that could develop. I'll leave it next time.

Martyn

FFS Martyn...how can it not seem offensive.

Whether Tony intended it to or not (which I actually now believe he didn't) do you honestly not see my reason for posting.

Just for your sake, and to hopefully clear this up, here's the posts that initiated my response to Tony.

DES posted...

"...but I'm surprised that you're going into the "Lion's Den" of competition that is the Allnighter "Market" what do think you will be offering that Lifeline, Bidds, Maxims, Radcliffe, Rugby, Burnley, 100 Club, King's Hall etc don't? In essence, You've got a great thing, why change, or jeoprdise it?"

TONY posted

"...Des has already pointed out there is a lot of well established all-nighters at the moment, however how many of them offer the real sort of quality that USOS does? One or two spring to mind that have real quality, but there's a lot that don't and really stand in the way for others to grow."

I've highlighted the parts that I thought were insulting...how can I have misread them Martyn? I've read them over and over and they always read the same.

I posted a question to Tony to clear up the matter...he answered it and that was that, he then PMed me to apologise for any offense and stated that he also realised that it didn't read well.

I accepted that and left it...until you start to question how I can find it offensive?

Well, to be perfectly honest here Martyn, coupled with one of your earlier quote..

"Many don't do niters much these days because the most of the current niters don't appeal. We will fill this gap."

You gotta admit that there seems to be a common train of thought here.

Perhaps you should concentrate more on the positive aspects of your events, than the negative aspects of those events who shall, it seems, forever remain nameless.

Edited by Mace