Do Any Tunes Make You Cry

Guest miss nancy

Which CD is that from Nancy?

Is it a cover of the Marvin Gaye song? (not that he did it first - it's a very old song I believe) Frank McComb did a good version too

Hi, its Sister Act 2 but check out Ethel Waters version x

Social source share

• Replies 122
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mrs Simsy

Funny thing this soul music it works on such a viceral level , no particular tune for me it can be any tune , it catches me all the time today it was Bunny Sigler let the good times roll (I am going through a wheel phase ) tomorrow it will be something else . smile.gif

I love that song!:ohmy:

Sam Dees-Lonely for you baby always has me welling up & not soul but Suspicious Minds-Elvis always makes me cry as it reminds me of my late grandad who could belt out a cracking version!:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest GFAS03

Color him father did it for me everytime for about 3 years after my old man died.... other than that, like many others on here - any tune can catch you at the wrong (or right) moment....

Social source share

Certain voices can make me (almost) cry sometimes... especially Levi Stubbs, Marvin Junior and Johnny Carter of The Dells, Annette Snell, Howard Tate, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, James Carr, Gladys Knight, Tammi Terrell, Eddie Levert, Ray Charles, J Blackfoot etc.

Like Manus, I've always been crazy about Cissy Houston's medley of 'He' and 'I Believe'. It goes to show there's nothing more intense than the spirit of gospel. We all need that spirit sometimes, with or without the religion.

And I agree with Baz about 'The Love We Had (Stays On My Mind)' by The Dells. I can't think of a better example.

But music most often makes me cry when people have died...

Ronnie Dyson died in 1990 when he was signed to my Ardent label. He was only 40 and his mother had died just a week earlier. The next time I heard his voice (singing 'A Song For You' as it happens) I ended up crying and I couldn't listen to his music for quite a while.

Certain songs can have the same effect. Ever since my dad died I sometimes have trouble listening to 'Moon River', especially the version by Oscar Tony Jr. It was my dad's favourite song and it's a tearjerker anyway.

Bob Relf died just days after I had done a movie sync deal for 'Blowing My Mind To Pieces'. When the film was released a year later they dedicated the soundtrack to Bob's memory and when I first heard the song on the big screen you can guess what happened.

But the last time music really made me cry was when Levi Stubbs died. I didn't know him but that didn't make any difference. I went silent for a while and tried not to cry but as soon as I heard his voice again I just lost it and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I bet a lot of people did.

It all goes to show how powerful music really is.

Social source share

this has been posted on here before but it does upset me a bit,the late great levi stubbs singing with aretha

Not sure i could look at that again, Levi was the first voice that got me on the road to soul heaven..

This is the kind of topic i like on this forum, something that touches the heart and brings people together, rather than bull shit that breaks us apart..

I have always been a soul man at heart and love to be stopped dead in my tracks by a tune, just stop and feel that moment...

Been looking for this track on refo, no luck... Found it on youtube....

Just stop and listen.... at 1.32 the angels come in and there is a short flute burst... Then it just builds and the voice takes on magic proportions... soul indeed.. I could go on for the rest of my life on this topic alone....

Soul strikes me so deep, it rocks my world.... Gonna have a jazz fag now and dig some more :thumbsup:

have a listen..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c345pCd8pUc

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

...Just stop and listen.... at 1.32 the angels come in and there is a short flute burst... Then it just builds and the voice takes on magic proportions... soul indeed.. I could go on for the rest of my life on this topic alone....

Soul strikes me so deep, it rocks my world.... Gonna have a jazz fag now and dig some more thumbsup.gif

have a listen..

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=c345pCd8pUc

Great taste, Stevie.

"One Woman" is a big favourite of mine, along with "Got To Find A New World" from the same LP ...both tracks were also issued on 45s, both as flip sides.

This kind of stuff just takes me somewhere, that's how evocative it is.

Social source share

Great taste, Stevie.

"One Woman" is a big favourite of mine, along with "Got To Find A New World" from the same LP ...both tracks were also issued on 45s, both as flip sides.

This kind of stuff just takes me somewhere, that's how evocative it is.

Yes indeed mate.. Got to find a new world.... epic epic soul track for me....

played it to many folk who did not know it, as they say, you can only know what you know....

Cheers for reply Paul... Its good to share this kind of stuff..

Jazz fags are working.....

peace be with you my son.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

TONY MASON - TAKE GOOD CARE - RCA PROMO -

KENNY CARTER - DONT GO - RCA PROMO -

Monday after a double nighter weekend off me titssad.gif

Kenny Carter is stunning Ken...... :thumbsup:

Thanks for that...

Last one from me before bed...

A tune sent to me by Alan Mitchell many years ago on a tape, not played it for so long and just dug it out the other night... girls beware Sammy gets a twitch in his all in one brown number at 2 mins :lol: ....

Thats my outfit sorted for Cleethorpes Sunday night...

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Nothing too Soulful but the Hollies - He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother is sad and can almost bring a tear to my eye but have to keep cool if you hear on the bus when you are out. Not sure why though as i don't have any brothers

Social source share

Quite sure this'll get booted off to freebasing,but here we go.....

Charles Johnson-Never Had A Love So Good

Brand New Heavies-Stay This Way

The Elgins- Heaven Must Must Have Sent You

get a grip, are you a girlrolleyes.gif

Social source share

get a grip, are you a girlrolleyes.gif

The Webbster a girl ?

A long term , battle scared transvestite would not wish to look like our Phil :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Nothing too Soulful but the Hollies - He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother is sad and can almost bring a tear to my eye but have to keep cool if you hear on the bus when you are out. Not sure why though as i don't have any brothers

I agree it is a very moving song.

Apparantly it is about a young boy who had to wear leg braces and his brothers and friends used to take him to school on their backs.

When asked if he was heavy... they replied he ain't heavy...

Social source share

Apparantly it is about a young boy who had to wear leg braces and his brothers and friends used to take him to school on their backs.

Rightous brothers for me.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

To be honest!

I cant think of one song that makes me cry, or even one of those sad films that has everyone crying no.gif

I must agree with Weekend Warrior.............some of you men are like big girls! laugh.gif

Debbie x

one song that really did make me cry was bette midler singing wind beneath my wings in the film beaches. it always makes me think about my best pal from the age of 8 tll he died suddenly at 47, the song is about friends and the singer is letting the friend know how much he respects and loves them, awesome lyrics

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

- any tune can catch you at the wrong (or right) moment....

I think that is the key point and why for me . . . . don't laugh . . . . . it's Angel Eyes by Abba.

It completely doesn't make sense . . . . not my normal taste in music . . . . and the gender thing is completely back to front.

But it takes me back to the most traumatic time of my life like it was yesterday.

At least now I'm in control of my emotions . . . . unlike then. Phew!!

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=hSj57wYXNvA

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Been sifting through some slower stuff recently and Terry Collins - The Show Must Go On - Kwanza. Although I've always liked it, I've only really listened to the words properly recently. Its a really sad song and as a parent who works long hours, it does hit home.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Every now and then a track just does it and gets the old eyes a waterin'

This does it for me

THE SOUL TWINS - MR INDEPENDANT - BACKBEAT 7" -

Social source share

The temptations - I wish it would rain

Sunshine, blue sky, please go away,

My girl has found another, and gone away

With her went my future, my life is filled with gloom,

So day after day, I stay locked up in my room

I know to you it might sound strange,

I wish it would rain (oh how I wish that it would rain)

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah

Cause so badly

I wanna go outside (such a lovely day)

Everyone knows that a man ain't supposed to cry

But listen, I got to cry, cuz crying, ooooooooh,

Is the pain, oh yeah

Yeah you know people, this hurt I feel inside,

Words, they, could never explain,

I wish it would rain (oh how i wish that it would rain)

Oh let it rain, rain, rain, rain (oh how i wish that it would rain)

Ooooooh baby

Let it rain (rain, rain)

Oh yeah, let it rain

Day in day out, my tear stained face

Pressed against my window pane

I search the skies, well, desperately for rain

Cause rain drops will hide my teardrops and no one will ever know

That I'm crying (crying) crying (crying)

When I go outside

To the world outside my tears I refuse to explain,

I wish it would rain (oh how I wish that it would rain)

Rain, rain, rain (oh how I wish that it would rain)

ooooh baby

Let it rain

I need rain to disguise the tears in my eyes

Yeah, You know I'm a man, I ain't got no pride,

Til it rains, I'm gonna stay inside,

Let it rain, Let it rain

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Oh how I wish that it would rain...

I cry buckets everytime,

but I just can't stop myself from listening to it. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

THE ORIGINALS.......BABY I'M FOR REAL

FOUR TOPS.......ASK THE LONELY

MARVIN GAYE.......DISTANT LOVER

WHERE'S ME HANKY!!!!!

The flip to ASK THE LONELY .......WHERE DID YOU GO .....records don't make me cry but this comes close :yes:

FOUR TOPS - WHERE DID YOU GO -

Social source share

Not sure i could look at that again, Levi was the first voice that got me on the road to soul heaven..

This is the kind of topic i like on this forum, something that touches the heart and brings people together, rather than bull shit that breaks us apart..

I have always been a soul man at heart and love to be stopped dead in my tracks by a tune, just stop and feel that moment...

Been looking for this track on refo, no luck... Found it on youtube....

Just stop and listen.... at 1.32 the angels come in and there is a short flute burst... Then it just builds and the voice takes on magic proportions... soul indeed.. I could go on for the rest of my life on this topic alone....

Soul strikes me so deep, it rocks my world.... Gonna have a jazz fag now and dig some more thumbsup.gif

have a listen..

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=c345pCd8pUc

Well said Steve - it's good to hear folks talking about the music and how it moves them. I've got no problem with people debating points of view - but it's good to get back to basics sometimes and remember what we have in common Soul music.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Certain voices can make me (almost) cry sometimes... especially Levi Stubbs, Marvin Junior and Johnny Carter of The Dells, Annette Snell, Howard Tate, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, James Carr, Gladys Knight, Tammi Terrell, Eddie Levert, Ray Charles, J Blackfoot etc.

Like Manus, I've always been crazy about Cissy Houston's medley of 'He' and 'I Believe'. It goes to show there's nothing more intense than the spirit of gospel. We all need that spirit sometimes, with or without the religion.

And I agree with Baz about 'The Love We Had (Stays On My Mind)' by The Dells. I can't think of a better example.

But music most often makes me cry when people have died...

Ronnie Dyson died in 1990 when he was signed to my Ardent label. He was only 40 and his mother had died just a week earlier. The next time I heard his voice (singing 'A Song For You' as it happens) I ended up crying and I couldn't listen to his music for quite a while.

Certain songs can have the same effect. Ever since my dad died I sometimes have trouble listening to 'Moon River', especially the version by Oscar Tony Jr. It was my dad's favourite song and it's a tearjerker anyway.

Bob Relf died just days after I had done a movie sync deal for 'Blowing My Mind To Pieces'. When the film was released a year later they dedicated the soundtrack to Bob's memory and when I first heard the song on the big screen you can guess what happened.

But the last time music really made me cry was when Levi Stubbs died. I didn't know him but that didn't make any difference. I went silent for a while and tried not to cry but as soon as I heard his voice again I just lost it and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I bet a lot of people did.

It all goes to show how powerful music really is.

Nice post Paul thumbsup.gif

All the best mate

Manus

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

the painful, soulful, heartfelt lyrics and voice in this! Phenomenal..

Great track Paul. For pain and suffering take a gander at this. Absolutely rips my guts out

MR D & THE HIGHLIGHTS - ANOTHER LONELY NIGHT - JAS -

Social source share

Guest moggy

When I watched the Levi and Aretha on the you tube clip of them together, made me cry, so sad

My brother lost his son aged 11, it took me two weeks to get him out of his home, and when I did the first record that came on in the car was R Kelly "I believe I can fly" talk about break down in tears, it still gets me today.

Mike and the Mechanics "The Living Years" sad.gif I need to stop now wink.gif

One more then Bobby Goldsboro "Honey" biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest sandi

Loads and loads of em make me cry,

but just to mention a few.

Louis Dyer "I wanna make love to you"......the very 1st time l heard this it left a lump in my throat, I brought the record and by the time l'd played it a couple of times l was reduced to tears.......blubbering wreck probably best describes it.

David Ruffin "walk away from love"......great classic.

Both of these records move me , l think it's because they are sung with such passion and feeling, as so are many many others.You can really feel their emotion, now thats what l call soulful.

Sandi

Social source share

What about some of the folk we have seen coming out of all niters like that, :thumbsup: , next time i see it i can hum that nice tune... :huh:

Social source share

Played at my Auntie San's Funeral

Buddy Holly - True love ways

Then as we were leaving the crem Roy Orbison - Love Hurts with my Uncle saying "see ya San!"

Just about did it for me!

Edwin Starr - Love The Lonely Peoples Prayer

Social source share

As usual, I'm late joining a thread.

At the risk of coming across as a great big tart, (soft Southern Jessie) to all our friends north of Watford, I'll bet I'm not the only person who fills up just listening to any great record, Northern, deep whatever, when I'm driving on my own.

The reason being, one day I'm not going to be able to hear this music of ours anymore, see the great friends I've made. That makes me cry!!

Let's all enjoy every moment while we can.

Right! I'm off to ring the Samaritans now.

Morbid Dave.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert