• Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest wigan bob

under which promoter?

First time I went there was when Guy was running it, think the first one was beginning of 1988 or was it '87? :chinstroke:

the one guy did i thought it was 86

Social source share

second anniversary flyer, January 1990 (I thought it was earlier). I've the 1st Anniversary I think in the garage.

post-225-1271187834349_thumb.jpg

I am abit shocked it was so late, I always had it down as a mid 80s not late 80s nighter.

Did it close and re-open? I remember Guy's parter taking money on the door, her name I can't remember?

Still got soultown membership card (one of the few I have still got left).

Abit off topic Louise used to go Dancing at Tony's every Tuesday till it closed down.

Dave.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

I am abit shocked it was so late, I always had it down as a mid 80s not late 80s nighter.

Did it close and re-open? I remember Guy's parter taking money on the door, her name I can't remember?

Abit off topic Louise used to go Dancing at Tony's every Tuesday till it closed down.

Dave.

I'm sure I remember getting my membership card and the nighters being cancelled to start with. I was surprised it was as late as it was, thought it was at least a year earlier in starting, i'll have to dig echoes out and check.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Me thinks it was shaun Gibbons who had it first around 84'/85'

Shaun Gibbons also run a nighter across the road on the same night as one of Guy's. Nipped in for half an hour and legged it back to Soultown.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Brian J

Did anyone else attend the last night and who will own up to

snaffling one of the orange leatherette 2 seaters when it finished? :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

I was a big fan of this place and I only missed a few but only went under the second promoters (MYK Productions I believe?) which was late eighties..

Loved it.

The last Tony's nighter was in the early 00s when it had a modern room up in a side room. There was only 5 of us in there.

The northen room was pretty quiet as well. I know Bob Hinsley was on in the nothern room cause I was talking to him.

I can't remember who else was on. Dave Hulmes was the only DJ in the modern room.

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

The last Tony's nighter was in the early 00s when it had a modern room up in a side room. There was only 5 of us in there.

The northen room was pretty quiet as well. I know Bob Hinsley was on in the nothern room cause I was talking to him.

I can't remember who else was on. Dave Hulmes was the only DJ in the modern room.

not how i remember it dave,are we on about when little scotty ran it for myk the last one was a packer,would be brill if it started again

Social source share

not how i remember it dave,are we on about when little scotty ran it for myk the last one was a packer,would be brill if it started again

It was deff quiet the last one I went to (unless it was the last one with a modern room).

No chance of it starting again it's all been closed down by the council, building unsafe (F**kin H + S).

The dance school who run it has had a new dance school built on the edge of town.

It was cheaper than getting Tony's back in order.

The pub where they used to have the warn-ups is no longer a pub.thumbsup.gif

Dave.

Social source share

Shaun Gibbons also run a nighter across the road on the same night as one of Guy's. Nipped in for half an hour and legged it back to Soultown.

I remember that now Byrney, stayed in Tony's meself I think.

Politics and the scene, venue clashing, we never learn still having the same arguments now.

Social source share

I was a big fan of this place and I only missed a few but only went under the second promoters (MYK Productions I believe?) which was late eighties..

Loved it.

The late 80's was definitely Guy and his Soultown promotions, there's a flyer for the second anniversary a few posts back. MYK took the place over after Guy stopped promoting there very early 90's, can't remember the dates for certain when Mick started running it but Guy was still there in 1990.

Social source share

He did? The cheeky twat! Can't imagine there would have been much in the way of crowd 'rustling' going on there, we wouldn't have been seen dead in one of Gibbo's oldies extavaganzas. Well, most of us wouldn't. Eh Byrney? tongue.gif

Social source share

I remember that night too...also nipped over to check out sales records and then promptly returned to Soultown as well!

I also recall one night there when JimW was selling up a load of discs...Keb took a fair few...come to think of it Jim was sporting a cowboy hat though I'm sure the connection to the prices was mere coincidence!

The Capitol Soul Club also ventured there in the 00's!

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest wigan bob

snaffling one of the orange leatherette 2 seaters when it finished? hatsoff2.giflaugh.gif

the last nite was 2001 i think it was rammed

Social source share

Guest Brian J

the last nite was 2001 i think it was rammed

Yer right Bob....couldn't move inside.

I was hanging outside after the last record when I saw a couple of lads coming down

the stairs with one of the double upholstered seats.

I held the doors open while they got it out.

They then proceded to walk up the street with it to their car.

God knows whether they got it home or not! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest wigan bob

Yer right Bob....couldn't move inside.

I was hanging outside after the last record when I saw a couple of lads coming down

the stairs with one of the double upholstered seats.

I held the doors open while they got it out.

They then proceded to walk up the street with it to their car.

God knows whether they got it home or not! laugh.gif

some one took the clock from behind the bar also

Social source share

went once with little scotty and his crew in a traveller!. couldnt believe this place, just a doorway and up some stairs and ........the blackburn over 60's ladies and gents teadance were still up and running as we sidled into the adjoining light refreshments area...wow!, that was an eye opener....i dont think they hung around to see 40 inchers gliding round the dancefloor!!. what a crummy rundown venue, no doubt it had seen better days but atmospheric places are few and far between now and id say tony's is missed.......WONDER WHO HAD THE SIGN FROM OUTSIDE?.

rob.h

Social source share

Guest wigan bob

The CSC were the special guests for one night, they didn't run it.

guys first one was january 1988.and scotys last one was april 2003 that was the end.just done some soul searchin

Social source share

guys first one was january 1988.and scotys last one was april 2003 that was the end.just done some soul searchin

Just checked 2003 diary and if the last one was april 2003 we did not go.

I have spent half the day looking in diaries but no luck on finding the date when there was only 5 of us in modern room.

I willl ask Dave Hulmes next time I see him but I don't think he will know the date to be honest. lol.biggrin.gif

The highlight of the night was when of the guys from the northern room came in and started doing shadow puppets on the wall.yes.gif

Social source share

Dave.

she is margaret reid ,used to live in carlton near skipton,, a stunner when young,,,

Social source share

she is margaret reid ,used to live in carlton near skipton,, a stunner when young,,,

Thanks for reminding me of her name. I think she might kill me if someone tells her I had forgotten.

That's if I ever see her again. lasr saw her at Guy's 50th.

I used to go to Guy's house when he lived in Skipton.

I have dropped Margaret and her mate from Earby once or twice after do's in the 70s (forgot name of her mate as well)

They all used to come to do's in Accrington on Friday nights (Legion, Band Club & Jenny)

There were a good few from over that way that came to our do's.

Pete Higson, Dave Jolly. Deano and all of the above.

And surprice, surprice some others but can't remember thier names.:D

Social source share

Guest roundtree

Had some wicked nights there, Mick Lyons an his Crew ran it and one of the last nights as we came out Frank Kane an Andy French both got arrested an locked up for the day!!! I remember goin back in to warn folk that the D.S. were about an big Scotty came down the stairs as if he was on a horse sayin "can you tell i've got summat down me bollocks" pissed myself.

Loved walkin up them stairs, Little Scotty takin you fee and the music takin your feet!!! Had so many chats at the top of the stairs near the loo's with barmy Janet Shorrock as was, Kev Woods (whatever happened to him) an the lovely Netty.

Do you remember the paracetmol incident you barmy mare? But you are so right great laughs great memories

I can remember sitting top of stairs twirling my hair not a care in the world and not knowing which planet I was on.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I remember that now Byrney, stayed in Tony's meself I think.

Politics and the scene, venue clashing, we never learn still having the same arguments now.

Wayney fancied a butchers so I nipped over for a bit, honest guv. Got in for nowt but soon congered back to Guys.

Social source share

what month and year was tonys first allniter any one got any ideas.

Tony's was first run by Guy Hennigan and I under the Soultown banner which I had previously used for London soul nights with Tony Smith.

I think the first night was probably around 87 and I was involved before taking a sojourn from the soul scene to 'regroup' and enjoy the second summer of love. We had some good nights and a visit from 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'. Guy continued the nights after I left.

All best

Ion

Social source share

Guest smartypantsnancy

Thanks for reminding me of her name. I think she might kill me if someone tells her I had forgotten.

That's if I ever see her again. lasr saw her at Guy's 50th.

I used to go to Guy's house when he lived in Skipton.

I have dropped Margaret and her mate from Earby once or twice after do's in the 70s (forgot name of her mate as well)

They all used to come to do's in Accrington on Friday nights (Legion, Band Club & Jenny)

There were a good few from over that way that came to our do's.

Pete Higson, Dave Jolly. Deano and all of the above.

And surprice, surprice some others but can't remember thier names.biggrin.gif

DAVE TAYLOR OMG Hello ..it is Lois from Accrington hahahaha!!!

I was just transfering a shed load of CD's you made for me in 1976 onto DVD OMG what a coincidence

I went up to see Sean and he said he see's you at ST Annes hahaha OMG I am in shock!!

I recognised you because you were talking about Guy (who I used to go out with) and Margeret, who was Shirley Annes friend and Accy British Legion,

I am probably posting this in the wrong place hahaha I hope you are well Dave.

Get in touch ..this has made my day. PS There is a track on one of the CD's called 'Happy Without You by Sound Judgement and no bugger has heard of it, I love it !!!!!

Social source share

DAVE TAYLOR OMG Hello ..it is Lois from Accrington hahahaha!!!

I was just transfering a shed load of CD's you made for me in 1976 onto DVD OMG what a coincidence

I went up to see Sean and he said he see's you at ST Annes hahaha OMG I am in shock!!

I recognised you because you were talking about Guy (who I used to go out with) and Margeret, who was Shirley Annes friend and Accy British Legion,

I am probably posting this in the wrong place hahaha I hope you are well Dave.

Get in touch ..this has made my day. PS There is a track on one of the CD's called 'Happy Without You by Sound Judgement and no bugger has heard of it, I love it !!!!!

Hi Lois, I have sent you a PM.

Dave.

Social source share

Tony's was first run by Guy Hennigan and I under the Soultown banner which I had previously used for London soul nights with Tony Smith.

I think the first night was probably around 87 and I was involved before taking a sojourn from the soul scene to 'regroup' and enjoy the second summer of love. We had some good nights and a visit from 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'. Guy continued the nights after I left.

All best

Ion

That's Right Ion. Guy asked our Mick to do the door as he was head bouncer/doorman at Burnley Cats/ The Circulation/ and various Town Centre pubs at the time.

Kev

Social source share

I went a couple of times, late 80's under Guys supervision, fantastic nighter, good music and atmosphere, untill TONY PALMER, yes the man who filmed at Wigan, came to record for a 'history of popular music' series for the BBC. 4 in the morning and the lights came up and some one stuck a camera in your [my] ear whilst dancing. Killed it. I believe Guys partner worked in TV. Later in the early 90's she wanted to film in Parkers and out of respect for my customers Saturday night out I refused; though persuading Richard took some doing! The resulting footage from Blackburn I think made up less tham 30 seconds of the resulting programme. Underground music lovers screwed by the middle class media yet again. I've no axes to grind and maybe i'm incorrect but that is how I remember it. Oh, they still had one of those orange squash machines with the plastic oranges swirling around.

dean

Social source share

snaffling one of the orange leatherette 2 seaters when it finished? :hatsoff2::laugh:

i know who it was but wouldnt be fair to mention em without their knowledge. their from blackpool, enuf sed. i think it was a red heart shaped love seat. i lost one of me desert boots down the back of a radiator bizarrely . happy times there.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest miss nancy

I thought I had stopped going to nighters ages before but my good friend Alison Nolan has just sent me some photos of me and her and Jimmy going to Tonys in 1987, I will try and get them uploaded.

Social source share

ohmy.gifohmy.gif I'd completely forgot about that one Dave. Gosh you're memory is amazing for an OAP tongue.gif

I also went during the MYK years, early to mid 90's, when Bradford finished, me & the 3 Theresa's (on the train & then when TC passed her driving test in her little yellow metro named Madge biggrin.gif ) Folk used to think we were pulling their legs when we introduced ourselves as Theresa,Teresa, Theresa & Alison.

Fond memories of Tony's,the pub beforehand,cant remember the name (Dave Taylor will know it though laugh.gif ) & the tassles of tin foil up on the stage. Ooh & sometimes back to the Brickhouse in Wigan for more fun & frolics wink.gif

Social source share

ohmy.gifohmy.gif I'd completely forgot about that one Dave. Gosh you're memory is amazing for an OAP tongue.gif

I also went during the MYK years, early to mid 90's, when Bradford finished, me & the 3 Theresa's (on the train & then when TC passed her driving test in her little yellow metro named Madge biggrin.gif ) Folk used to think we were pulling their legs when we introduced ourselves as Theresa,Teresa, Theresa & Alison.

Fond memories of Tony's,the pub beforehand,cant remember the name (Dave Taylor will know it though laugh.gif ) & the tassles of tin foil up on the stage. Ooh & sometimes back to the Brickhouse in Wigan for more fun & frolics wink.gif

Alison, the warm up for Tony's used to be in The Borough Arms.

It has closed down now as a pub and now reopened as Buffet City.

And less of this OAP crap, I have got ** years to go yet.laugh.gif

Dave.

P.S. you missed a very good night at the Barn on Sat.

Social source share

Alison, the warm up for Tony's used to be in The Borough Arms.

It has closed down now as a pub and now reopened as Buffet City.

And less of this OAP crap, I have got ** years to go yet.laugh.gif

Dave.

P.S. you missed a very good night at the Barn on Sat.

SEE!!! I knew you'd know it. You wise old owl wink.gif

I didn't realise the Barn was on. Will PM you. x

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

Hey my lovely, can't believe we never met up years ago!!! Hope you are ok, are you going to the Bradford Rare night in June??? I am looking forward to not somersaulting on the dance floor this time!!!!!

Social source share

Hey my lovely, can't believe we never met up years ago!!! Hope you are ok, are you going to the Bradford Rare night in June??? I am looking forward to not somersaulting on the dance floor this time!!!!!

Hey beautiful, it was a shame that we didnt know each other back at Tony's Empress as it would have been nice having a friend that wasn't named Theresa/Teresa :D Still we know each other now & that's what counts :wink:

Can't make Bradford in June :sad: as I'm away that weekend so if you feel the need to somersault again will you save it for the next one please, when I'm there :laugh:

xxx

Social source share

• 9 months later...

Tonys Empress will always be special to me , as it was my first nighter ! I supported it many times travelling up from down south ( 6 hours in a transit ) I recall brian Jolly having his cowboy moment and many others.

Some words from 1999 or 2000 I think ? regular Djs were Neil Rushton, Pete Coulson , Terry Davis Little Scotty .

Moment I shall always remember was the old dear coming out with her broom telling us " Haven't you go homes to go to " and her looking fresh as daisy at the end of the night :hatsoff2:

Ok arrives with posse at 11.45, unloads the boxes and passes that little

disco bar on the right, who's waving at me Stoksie ! and Dave Caffrey,

motions later , and enters the stairs.

Do you know I could get on my knees and tenderly kiss every one of those stairs I love this place to bits.

I get such a buzz from it I don't need drugs the place does it for me,

it's carried me to dizzy heights, time and time again.

Not many in, well we did arrive early, but there are more boxes than

normal even Barry James is behind one!

I sat for a while and watched. I get a lot of pleasure from this believe

it or not, just watching people coming in and hugging each other, seeing

their joy at meeting someone that maybe they haven't seen for a while.

Enters Les swans in with his leather trench that he got for Christmas,

gave me an enormous hug, always does, then Brenda ...It was great to see

them, as I missed them the last time.

Back on the floor .....dance ...dance ...dance

Someone played the Four Sights! Love is a hurting game brill and

that Al Gardner "Sweet Baby" aaaaaaaaaaaagh must get this it makes me

melt with pleasure.

We left an hour before it was due to end survived

the night on Banana's coffee , bounty chocolate , and 4 pro plus tabs.....I

have never been so wide awake....the place , the people , the sounds ,carried me.

When we got in the car, it took it's toll , wasn't long

before M was leaning on me I was leaning on Nige ( which was very nice ) ......and we ..sort of slept all the way back to Stafford.

Footnote ....

I didn't sleep ( I was pretending ) laugh.gif ooooh it was a lovely moment that only a nuturing cat would appreciate wink.gif because I was struck by an arrow that night , still makes me smile thinking about it.

I do recall a girlfriend saying to me ...should i die my ashes are to go between the floorboards in this place.

Lot's of people loved Tonys.

Edited by Carms
Social source share

i went to last un , a nameless pair from blackpool ad one of the loveseats near the stage. did anyone find one of my desert boots sat on or near a radator by the emergency exit ,had to ride back to london in me shoes . nearly fell off bke at every set of traffic lights as feet skidded under me when i put em down. loved tony,s first niter i went to after 14 years away from t all.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert