Sweet Deep & Group Ballad Cd Swap

Morning all.

After testing the water with a few folk thought we'd have a crack at a 'Deep Sweet & Group Ballads' CD swap. Lower the tempo for the on-coming hot summer days. Considering the success of the related audio threads on Soul Source thought it might be worth a shot. There's an incredible wealth of tracks out there. So from whatever decade - whatever the price - All of one genre or a mixture. The choice is yours.

Let's get some southern rasping and pleadings and cool harmonys burned!

Shall we say 20 to be involved? With the World Cup going on - Is an approx. 4 week 'window' suitable to everyone?

If you could PM me (with an email address) if you want to be included I'll put all the necessary details together.

Thanks!

Rich

Social source share

• Replies 185
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Morning all.

After testing the water with a few folk thought we'd have a crack at a 'Deep Sweet & Group Ballads' CD swap. Lower the tempo for the on-coming hot summer days. Considering the success of the related audio threads on Soul Source thought it might be worth a shot. There's an incredible wealth of tracks out there. So from whatever decade - whatever the price - All of one genre or a mixture. The choice is yours.

Let's get some southern rasping and pleadings and cool harmonys burned!

Shall we say 20 to be involved? With the World Cup going on - Is an approx. 4 week 'window' suitable to everyone?

If you could PM me (with an email address) if you want to be included I'll put all the necessary details together.

Thanks!

Rich

I'd like to take part, thanks

Social source share

Great stuff Steve. Lucky number 13!

Eddie Hubbard

Jocko

John Reed

Dylan

Kev Cane

Mark - Funky Feet

Arkwright

John Lloyd

Harrogate Soul

Pat Biggerstaff

Mike Lofthouse

Jaco

Soul Integrity

Big H

Now standing at 14. 6 spaces left!

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Great stuff. Consider yourself added! Up to 15 now.

Eddie Hubbard

Jocko

John Reed

Dylan

Kev Cane

Mark - Funky Feet

Arkwright

John Lloyd

Harrogate Soul

Pat Biggerstaff

Mike Lofthouse

Jaco

Soul Integrity

Big H

Wrongcrowd

Hootenannie

Kitch making 16 in total.

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Eddie told me about this last night. Great idea Rich.

If you can squeeze me in I'd love it.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean, it means physically posting CDs mate, you know wrapping 'em, putting a stamp on and putting it in the red box at the bottom of the street.

Are you sure you're up to it biggrin.gif

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Not wishing to go off thread but just a heads up on these. On the Bay for a paltry £3.95 post free

Item # 140347693123

Already have it and for that price (post free) its a steal (multiple copies).

No connection to seller, just letting ya all know.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Not wishing to go off thread but just a heads up on these. On the Bay for a paltry £3.95 post free

Item # 140347693123

Already have it and for that price (post free) its a steal (multiple copies).

No connection to seller, just letting ya all know.

Nice one Dave, well that's me CD's sorted for next two swops, I'll just copy 'em and send em out laugh.gif

Just a thought bout the swop, how about making the cd's we send contain stuff that ain't been posted to refosoul yet? just a sugestion. I'm sure it would produce a lot of tunes ripe for posting up.

steve

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Nice one Dave, well that's me CD's sorted for next two swops, I'll just copy 'em and send em out laugh.gif

Just a thought bout the swop, how about making the cd's we send contain stuff that ain't been posted to refosoul yet? just a sugestion. I'm sure it would produce a lot of tunes ripe for posting up.

steve

Good idea Steve. Although, I'm not fully up-to-date with Refosoul postings. Must try and take some time to thoroughly go through the Sweet & Deep thread.

Sometimes it takes a track on a CD to "prick my ears up" whilst doing the ironing laugh.gif

There is always gonna be some duplication with tracks and I'm looking to try and include stuff that possiby, but not guaranteed, won't be included on others. So what I put on may not be the cream tracks but still IMO good ones.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Nice one Dave, well that's me CD's sorted for next two swops, I'll just copy 'em and send em out :laugh:

steve

I just looked at that CD. Not that I care at $5 (who's making money???), but it's clearly a bootleg (apparent by a bunch of the tracks). That's not surprising but why does it say Sony in the bottom? It's not actually produced or distributed by Sony is it?

Social source share

I just looked at that CD. Not that I care at $5 (who's making money???), but it's clearly a bootleg (apparent by a bunch of the tracks). That's not surprising but why does it say Sony in the bottom? It's not actually produced or distributed by Sony is it?

I thought it was a Kev Roberts KRL/Goldsoul offering/release? I'm Sure Roger Williams on here did the art work.

Social source share

how about making the cd's we send contain stuff that ain't been posted to refosoul yet? just a sugestion. I'm sure it would produce a lot of tunes ripe for posting up.

Steve,

Sounds a great idea... I thought of quite a few tunes which I thought that were slightly out of the ordinary and they were already in RefoSoul angry.gif . Think that might be quite a tough task.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Steve,

Sounds a great idea... I thought of quite a few tunes which I thought that were slightly out of the ordinary and they were already in RefoSoul angry.gif . Think that might be quite a tough task.

I know what ya mean John, quite a few I pulled, then had to shove 'em back coz they already up there!

Also a bit of a problem at times coz people don't always spel 'em rite! biggrin.gif

steve

Social source share

Great stuff. Consider yourself added! Up to 15 now.

Eddie Hubbard

Jocko

John Reed

Dylan

Kev Cane

Mark - Funky Feet

Arkwright

John Lloyd

Harrogate Soul

Pat Biggerstaff

Mike Lofthouse

Jaco

Soul Integrity

Big H

Wrongcrowd

Hootenannie

Sean Hampsey

Darks

Ady Pountain

Miss Goldie

Gazman

OK! Magic number of 20 is up! Thanks to everyone (think everyone is listed above!). Some heavyweights in here which is great to see - I'm punch-bagging from light welter I reckon :thumbsup:

I've collected most of the information together. If you haven't done so already can everyone make sure they've sent me their email and mailing address.

I'll get everything together and mail out through email tonight everyones details for the swap. I've set up an email address just for the swap so look out for the 'Sweet Deep & Group Ballad' email to come through (on some servers it may come through to your trash box)

Through the sheer wealth of tracks on the Refosoul Sweet n Deep thread I, like a few others will have pulled tracks for inclusion so in an ideal world it would be great but I wouldn't worry too much. Do think it's good to hear everyones contribution in their entirety.

Monday morning work beckons so any questions etc PM me and I'll get everything sorted by the end of play today.

Thanks to all!

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

stuff thats not in ref-o-soul sounds a great idea in theory but in practice I think it would be a nightmare. Time available to compile the CD is the biggest issue i'd have with this suggestion.

I don't mind hearing things that are well known mixed in with the lesser known things. It might remind me just how good certain tracks actually are after hearing them again for the first time in a while.

just as a test I'll run through the mp3s i've recorded so far and see just how mnay are on ref-o-soul. It might be quite embarrasing :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Just had another thought re stuff not in Refosoul. I used to post a few tunes in the Sweet & Deep thread and occasionally still do, so by posting stuff in Refosoul has actually cut down my options.

Also as someone has said there are some big hitters participating in this swap, so there isn't gonna be anything new to them on my CD. My preference is would be to leave it open as possible and just make a quality CD irrespective of price or if the tunes are known? Just a thoughts. Got some great Dooley's tunes to sift through when I get home....:hatsoff2:

Social source share

My preference is would be to leave it open as possible and just make a quality CD irrespective of price or if the tunes are known? Just a thoughts. Got some great Dooley's tunes to sift through when I get home....:hatsoff2:

Absolutely agree John and an ethos I think many share anyway. There's a multitude of quality 45s available across all genres for the swap regardless of price etc. Like Dylan pointed out, its easy to forget the well known etc and the joy of re-discovering forgotten tunes from your own collection is an added bonus to the swap. Looking forward to everyones' CD's.

Social source share

Absolutely agree John and an ethos I think many share anyway. There's a multitude of quality 45s available across all genres for the swap regardless of price etc. Like Dylan pointed out, its easy to forget the well known etc and the joy of re-discovering forgotten tunes from your own collection is an added bonus to the swap. Looking forward to everyones' CD's.

Thinking about it Rich, agree with you John and Dylan. Gonna just do a comp of stuff I got, that I think would make a good selection. :hatsoff2: going thru refosoul could be a prob with different spellings, and a couple of things I'd like to include, I know I have posted over the years.

....Really looking forward to some great music from everyone:thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

OK!! - Email sent out to everyone with mailing addresses etc on. Some to come through still but its all on the email. Thanks to all! If for some reason you don't recieve an email let me know.

Rich

All received Rich.

Right, I better get sorting some tracks out

errrrrrrrrm

Social source share

OK!! - Email sent out to everyone with mailing addresses etc on. Some to come through still but its all on the email. Thanks to all! If for some reason you don't recieve an email let me know.

Rich

My first batch went out today - just finished the rest and will post them tomorrow. Let me know if you don't receive one!! Hope you all enjoy it!, Mike

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

My first batch went out today - just finished the rest and will post them tomorrow. Let me know if you don't receive one!! Hope you all enjoy it!, Mike

Hi Mike, look forward to receiving it. Have been getting tracks in mind and will be getting them done over the weekend and hopefully mailed out Monday or Tuesday.

I'll confim when I do.

Dave :lol:

Social source share

Mike's landed this morning.

Looking forward to playing this:thumbsup:

Like wise, popped through the door. Looking forward to the drive to work!!

Half my CD's burned and the sleeves printed hope to post them all on Tuesday.

gary

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert