Sweet Deep & Group Ballad Cd Swap

• Replies 185
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Am in the process of putting my offering together.

Only had chance to listen to Mike's so far - Quality stuff Mike :lol:

Will try and get a few run off next week, to hand out at Just Soul - so if you're planning on coming next Saturday (10th July) please let me know.

The rest will follow by snail mail (apologies Eddie H.) :lol:

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Am in the process of putting my offering together.

Only had chance to listen to Mike's so far - Quality stuff Mike :ohmy:

Will try and get a few run off next week, to hand out at Just Soul - so if you're planning on coming next Saturday (10th July) please let me know.

The rest will follow by snail mail (apologies Eddie H.) :D

Cheers,

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Might try and get there Sean so bring one along in case :D

Social source share

Now got Ady Pountain's, Gary's and John Lloyd's making it 6 in total.

Played most of the CD's today on a 6 hour car trip with the exception of Ady's which had arrived by the time I got home.

Absolutely awesome stuff from everybody so far. Just amazing what stuff there is still left to hear after all these years. Long may it continue to be a welcome and fullfilling education.

Have now burnt all my CD's and will do track listings over the weekend with a view to getting them out on Monday/Tuesday.

Mike.

Social source share

Right then soulfreaks, thats all sent off now. This is no throw away statement when I say that all of the ones I have received so far have been awesome, I am playing the arse off all of em, every spare moment is dedicated to listening, I will send feedback to everyone soon, some great inspiration on all of them. Well done Rich, this is the music from the gods IMHO, and the yardstick when it comes to soul.

Kev

Social source share

yes well done rich forced a few of us lazy arses to get involved:hatsoff2:

will just about have worked my way throught these 22 CDs by this time next year and be ready to do it all again.

Dylan,

I really like Sparks - I'll Show You, I assume this was before they made Beat The Clock & La Dolce Vita, when they were soulful. :)

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

thanks everybody for comments. Realy enjoyed putting the selection together.

not sure on the release year of the sparkz sorry. At a guess I would say it has to be late 60s.

John i've never heard those other tracks by them but judging by your comments I don't need to... :)

Social source share

My first lot went out today. Apologies and I'm not being tight, but I haven't included a CD sleeve with them as I've run out and all of my local shops are out too, so waiting for a delivery from the net... There must be a lot of CD swaps going on at the moment.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

My first lot went out today. Apologies and I'm not being tight, but I haven't included a CD sleeve with them as I've run out and all of my local shops are out too, so waiting for a delivery from the net... There must be a lot of CD swaps going on at the moment.

Thanks John.

Working from home I'm like a kid on his birthday, getting all excited watching out for postman coming up the street :thumbup:

Social source share

Well I got six off so if you were one of the lucky ones you should have yours by now, will get the others out either tomorrow or Thur sday so everyone should have mine by the weekend.

Great music on the one's I've heard so far, I will list my fav track from each Cd once I've been through them all.:thumbup:

Social source share

Well I got six off so if you were one of the lucky ones you should have yours by now, will get the others out either tomorrow or Thur sday so everyone should have mine by the weekend.

Great music on the one's I've heard so far, I will list my fav track from each Cd once I've been through them all.:D

Had a flood of 6 CD's arrive today, only had time to look at the tracklists, lots I don't know which is great... mine should arrive soon, sans tracklist again soory about that.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Had a flood of 6 CD's arrive today, only had time to look at the tracklists, lots I don't know which is great... mine should arrive soon, sans tracklist again soory about that.

Thanks Sam, I bet that cost ya

:D

Social source share

Guest Darks

Sorry people I seem to be experiencing some technical problems. Just burnt a load and realised it sticks on track 6. Not quite sure what to do but will think of something.

BTW is anyone going to Just Soul or Soul Gate I can pass them over at those venues. Obviously Sean for one anybody else?

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Sorry people I seem to be experiencing some technical problems. Just burnt a load and realised it sticks on track 6. Not quite sure what to do but will think of something.

BTW is anyone going to Just Soul or Soul Gate I can pass them over at those venues. Obviously Sean for one anybody else?

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan - I'll be at Just Soul! Mike

Social source share

Thanks fellow swoppers for all the great CDs. I listened to Mark's (funkyfeet) and Chris' yesterday and I am playing John Reed's as I type. All full of excellent stuff. That Trudy Lynn verson of "Try To Leave Me..." is great, as is the Bob Henley on Epic and the Quickest Way Out - London Bridges from Chris' CD. Lot's of great stuff on Mark's CD as well (The Dramatics, Moments, Ronnie McNeit etc.). Top quality on all the CD's I've listened to so far, Many Thanks, Ady

Social source share

Got two through the door today Mark's(Funkyfeet) and one unmarked and I can't read the postmark. It starts with Queen Esther Marrow and ends with Syreeta. Could whoever made it identify themselves as I like to put who they are from when I upload it to my Ipod.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Got two through the door today Mark's(Funkyfeet) and one unmarked. It starts with Queen Esther Marrow and ends with Syreeta. Could whoever made it identify themselves as I like to put who they are from when I upload it to my Ipod.

It's from Harry Battensby

gary

Social source share

Played John Reed's CD a few times as I really liked it, especially the Fidelfatti track, Willie Collins, Charles Brimmer (sure I've got that LP somewhere!), Doug Haynes and of course one of the best Vietnam records from Troy Seals, although I still think R.B.Greaves - Home To Stay on Atco / Atlantic is the best ever Vietnam record. Now then Vietnam records would make a great swop covering deep, sweet and group stuff! I played John's CD driving home early on Sunday morning from DJing at a NS soul event. What a great antidote from some of the stuff I heard during the night!

I'm now playing Steve Edgar's and the mix of Cissy Houston into Deniece Chandler into Derek Martin worked brilliantly. Keep it up chaps really enjoying the Cd's, Cheers, Ady

P.S. just checked the Charles Brimmer is also on a 45, how sad am I!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Played John Reed's CD a few times as I really liked it, especially the Fidelfatti track, Willie Collins, Charles Brimmer (sure I've got that LP somewhere!), Doug Haynes and of course one of the best Vietnam records from Troy Seals, although I still think R.B.Greaves - Home To Stay on Atco / Atlantic is the best ever Vietnam record. Now then Vietnam records would make a great swop covering deep, sweet and group stuff! I played John's CD driving home early on Sunday morning from DJing at a NS soul event. What a great antidote from some of the stuff I heard during the night!

I'm now playing Steve Edgar's and the mix of Cissy Houston into Deniece Chandler into Derek Martin worked brilliantly. Keep it up chaps really enjoying the Cd's, Cheers, Ady

Received John Reed's CD yesterday (Mon) and only having time to give it a quick run through I agree it sounds excellent, as do all of the CDs I've received. Super stuff chaps!!!!

Now, is this a long standing kinda joke that I've missed but I notice at the top of John's track listing ---

"UNFASHIONABLE SOUL" laugh.gif

Brilliant, that's for me. Think I'll get a T shirt made up :face:

Social source share

Guys thanks for your comments they're greatly appreciated :face:

Ady, I don't think you're that sad.... It's the other side of Just Another Morning

As people have said this has turned into a very good swap thumbsup.gif

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I've got 10 CD's so far and listened to 2 of them (busy as all get out)

Stand outs on them were both track 7, now my lucky number!

On Dave Turner's it's the Jimmy Hudson cut which I wrote down years back and had forgotten about... brilliant!

On Kev Cane's, The Debonaires, I hadn't heard this before.... what a tune!

Cant wait to listen to the rest.

Social source share

so am I... sounds so much better than "namby pamby soul" which is what a lot of people use to described what I like ph34r.gif

heathens they should be burnt at the stake for saying such things :thumbup:

all the more great records for us on the cheap though if thats what the majority continue to think.

Social source share

Mark Speakman's and Pat Biggerstaff's arrived today.

Currently playing Pat's which oozes real class within the first few tracks alone - Harvey Scales, Aretta LaMarre - just fantastic music!

Looking forward to the rest of the CD and catching up with Mark's later.

I've now received 12 CD's and I can honestly say that the quality of music already on offer is simply mind blowing.

I can see all of the tracks being played by me on a regular basis for many months to come - many thanks to all concerned.

Mike

Social source share

Listened to the following CD's so far:

Kev Cane - Great reminder of the quality of Motown, we all know the dancers but theres some great deep/sweet on the label which we tend to overlook.

Dave Turner - Again quality from some big name artists that are so easy to overlook

Steve Edgar - Again lots of artists I know, but mostly new tracks to me.

Kitch - Lots of tracks new to me , but the Shadow Of Shades made me prick my ears up as I had put Elevation's version as track 1 on my Cd, what's the story here then.

Mike Lofthouse - Mike not sure what's gone wrong with Cd, only plays up to track 12, 12 great tracks so I would like to hear the other 10.

Dylan - Another great set mostly tunes again that are new to me.

Tend to listen to each Cd about half a dozen times so that's why it's taking a little time to wade through them all.

Social source share

Listened to the following CD's so far:

Mike Lofthouse - Mike not sure what's gone wrong with Cd, only plays up to track 12, 12 great tracks so I would like to hear the other 10.

Apologies Mark - anyone else having problems?

I checked random tracks on all CDs before posting- so don't know what has happened - I'll get you another one out ASAP

Mike

Social source share

Gotta say the quality of CDs in this swap is outstanding, and they've made the daily journey to London and back that much sweeter, even the M1 past Luton!

Great to see that this swap's moving fast too, at the rate they've been dropping though my letterbox I thought I'd be the last to mail mine out..... but then remembered that Messrs Hampsey and O'Connor are in the happy throng, so that thought soon passed.... :huh::yes:

Anyway, all mine posted on Tuesday, so you should hve them by today... hope you find something worthwhile...:wub:

Social source share

My first 12 are out this morning, (apology accepted Mr Steele, although lawyers letter is in the post just to make sure!) they would have been out at the weekend (as Bully can witness) but have done a bonus new music one (although appreciate not all agree they are a bonus hence why I do a "normal one") as I always do and between I-Tunes being a f****r** and my Dell Inspiron dud of a PC's cd drive finally dying I have been sweating blood and tears this week, with little time for playing on here, to get the new one done, so its done, two cd's should be falling through some letterboxes by weekend, remainder by next week. Hope there is something there.

Only listened to Mr Lofthouses so far, going to save them all till I can have a weekend of immersement, hopefully next couple of weekends and then train journey to Manchester w/e 30/07 should give enough time for appraisal!

**As an aside anyone having problems doing multiple copies of CD's with new tracks on them after recent I-Tunes upgrade, talking about this with Mr Hampsey at weekend and we are convinced there is now a limit of copies, and its a bas**d once the limit is hit as it seems to actually cause problems with the CD, it may have been my machine as my Dell is a f****g dud, really stay away witfrom them if you cabn

Social source share

OK! Mine allw ent out this morning guys. Apologies for delay. Haven't even had time to listen to maybe 2 or 3 so far but bloody hell! Fantastic stuff. So many new things to my ears. What it's all about - spreading knowledge and just great music.

Out of self imposed soul-exile now , so work can take a back seat and I can now wallow in everyones fantastic offerings.

Social source share

Gotta say the quality of CDs in this swap is outstanding, and they've made the daily journey to London and back that much sweeter, even the M1 past Luton!

Great to see that this swap's moving fast too, at the rate they've been dropping though my letterbox I thought I'd be the last to mail mine out..... but then remembered that Messrs Hampsey and O'Connor are in the happy throng, so that thought soon passed.... :huh::yes:

Anyway, all mine posted on Tuesday, so you should hve them by today... hope you find something worthwhile...:wub:

Been listening to yours all morning in my van Cliff , down to track 14 so far and superb all the way , with great artwork also .Mine are all packaged up and ready to go ..will have to post playlist on here though as my printer is knackered at the moment ..hope this is ok with everyone ? Thanks for all the CD's so far ..some amazing sides .Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

My first 12 are out this morning, (apology accepted Mr Steele, although lawyers letter is in the post just to make sure!) they would have been out at the weekend (as Bully can witness) but have done a bonus new music one (although appreciate not all agree they are a bonus hence why I do a "normal one") as I always do and between I-Tunes being a f****r** and my Dell Inspiron dud of a PC's cd drive finally dying I have been sweating blood and tears this week, with little time for playing on here, to get the new one done, so its done, two cd's should be falling through some letterboxes by weekend, remainder by next week. Hope there is something there.

Only listened to Mr Lofthouses so far, going to save them all till I can have a weekend of immersement, hopefully next couple of weekends and then train journey to Manchester w/e 30/07 should give enough time for appraisal!

**As an aside anyone having problems doing multiple copies of CD's with new tracks on them after recent I-Tunes upgrade, talking about this with Mr Hampsey at weekend and we are convinced there is now a limit of copies, and its a bas**d once the limit is hit as it seems to actually cause problems with the CD, it may have been my machine as my Dell is a f****g dud, really stay away witfrom them if you cabn

It's good to see that you've mended your ways, so apology duly delivered.... can you call off the lawyers, it gets in the way of listening and there's plenty stacking up. Looking forward to the CDs:thumbsup:....

iTunes can be quite evil, when it comes to multiple burning, and I've avoided any further updates. You can get around the limit by copying your finished CD into Realplayer, and copying from there without limit problems......even with a Dell :thumbsup:

Social source share

Great CD from Steve Edgar, really enjoyed it! I got Cliff's today so we'll give that an airing tomorrow and I see one of my favourites is included "Thinkin' Bout My Happy Home" by Johnny Green, brilliant track to my ears. I think Jock has won the excuse of the swop award even though it's not over. I never go anywhere near I-Tunes on a PC as I have spent many hours sorting out my wife and daughter's computers when they have upgraded or pressed the wrong button. I hate I-Tunes with a passion! Thanks again for all the great CDs, Cheers, Ady

Social source share

Mine are all burned.

Have been for over a week.

I gave a bunch out at Just Soul and will be mailing out the rest in the next few days (ya'll should have bin there... you'd have had 'em by now :thumbsup:).

Thus far, I've only had the chance to listen to Mike Lofthouse's (and Top Drawer fayre it is too). The others are all in the porch, just as the postie delivered em, such is my hectic life!

Will enjoy giving each one a thorough ear bashing over the next few months.

Thanks all,

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert