Skiing In The Snow

Just noticed that "Skiing In The Snow" (Invitations) is going on John Manships auction site for (at the moment £285)

thing is , in my opinion, this has got to be one of the poorest records ever cut, god knows why anyone would spend a tenner let alone £285 on this awful vinyl 45'.

Seriously if i heard this at any Soul night i would walk clean out of the door...............

totally bewildered..

ps...i have this record...bought when young and naive..........

Social source share

• Replies 129
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's a classic Northern Soul record but it's only worth half that.

Does that kettledrum and sax intro not do anything for you???

link

nope :yes:

Its rubbish, nuff said thumbsup.gif

Social source share

It's a classic Northern Soul record but it's only worth half that.

Does that kettledrum and sax intro not do anything for you???

link

No mate, i just loathe the bloody thing, i will admit to still liking Adam and Eve.....

for my sins...good memories etc.

Social source share

No mate, i just loathe the bloody thing, i will admit to still liking Adam and Eve.....

for my sins...good memories etc.

link

Well I don't, for it's time it was a valid play and also a very popular record, btw Hi Karen, thumbsup.gif:yes: Del x

Social source share

Well I don't, for it's time it was a valid play and also a very popular record, btw Hi Karen,  thumbsup.gif   :yes: Del x

link

Del, horses for courses mate, if you like it then hats off to you........

Social source share

I think it should be heads off lol only kidding Del  :yes:

link

well you know i'm a cheese queen, Kaz, if i had my way, 60s girls group would rule the world and i would be Queen Empress thumbsup.gif Del x

Social source share

Just noticed that "Skiing In The Snow"  (Invitations) is going on John Manships auction site for (at the moment £285)

thing is , in my opinion, this has got to be one of the poorest records ever cut, god knows why anyone would spend a tenner let alone £285 on this awful vinyl 45'.

Seriously if i heard this at any Soul night i would walk clean out of the door...............

totally bewildered..

link

why keep a record that you dont like?

if you can get some money for it and buy something you want all the better

you said you would walk out of anywhere playing it so you would obviously never dj with it

sell it to someone who wants this and get something you want , i cant understand people having records they dont like unless they are a dealer or have bought to trade on

even if i buy something blind that i dont like i have often traded them at a loss to get something i wanted

Social source share

you said you would walk out of anywhere playing it so you would obviously never dj with it

sell it to someone who wants this and get something you want , i cant understand people having records they dont like unless they are a dealer or have bought to trade on

even if i buy something blind that i dont like i have often traded them at a loss to get something i wanted

link

No Dave i like to keep it as a yardstick for all the bad taste associated with the scene, bit like adam and eve, great memorys but bloody awful records, i don't need to sell crap records to buy other records........ (but i'll sell decent records to fund the cause)

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Is this not because this record is quite rare, seems to be two issues here collecting and the current scene, not everyone's bag perhaps but if someone is prepared to pay whatever then that's up tp them don't you thnk? Collecting records and the current scene seem to be worlds apart, quite frankly it's all gone made and basically you don't have to subscribe to it, simply do your own thing otherwise it will push you over the edge and in the end you could end up hating it.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Is this not because this record is quite rare, seems to be two issues here collecting and the current scene, not everyone's bag perhaps but if someone is prepared to pay whatever then that's up tp them don't you thnk? Collecting records and the current scene seem to be worlds apart, quite frankly it's all gone made and basically you don't have to subscribe to it, simply do your own thing otherwise it will push you over the edge and in the end you could end up hating it.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Hi Mark, see where your coming from, probably punters buying records who don' t frequent the current scene, and i agree totally, if someone likes a track and wants to pay top dollar then more power to the "Fools" who need it.

Brett

Social source share

Hi Mark, see where your coming from, probably punters buying records who don' t frequent the current scene, and i agree totally, if someone likes a track and wants to pay top dollar then more power to the "Fools" who need it.

Brett

link

Fools!!!!! i don't think they are fools, perhaps rebuilding their old collections or something else, it's a strange scene but all are driven who collect records to chase whatever the title.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Fools!!!!! i don't think they are fools, perhaps rebuilding their old collections or something else, it's a strange scene but all are driven who collect records to chase whatever the title.

Mark Bicknell.

link

Yeah Mark perhaps "Fools" was to strong.....a better term would be "Idiots" thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Yeah Mark perhaps "Fools" was to strong.....a better term would be  "Idiots" :D

link

'No Compromise' - I love it Brett :D

To be fair, this has got to be one of the sh!ttest records ever made - soul or otherwise.

It even gives that DLT effort 'Disco Duck' some credability :D

And I like me cheese, but this is a big fat 'NO NO' :D

Jamie :shades:

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Yeah Mark perhaps "Fools" was to strong.....a better term would be  "Idiots" :shades:

link

No Brett collectors i think is the correct and proper term here, perhaps they collect what they want rather than what other people think they should or tell them too, it may not be what we all consider to be trendy or in vouge but if a record whatever the style or era still floats someones boat then who are we to question that, perhaps there should be more concern here with the record prices and the possible danger of when our generation finishes with this music then the prices will implode and perhaps get back to some reasonable level...still i guess it depends if we are buying into the true appreciation of the music or the trophy hunting ethic, whichever i find it all a little trait and quite disturbing to be honest, we are losing sight of why we are into this music are we not? it's about the tunes, discovery and enjoyment and if spending £300.00 on The Invitations is waht someone wants to do in his or her pursuit of enjoying what they do then good on them.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

No Brett collectors i think is the correct and proper term here, perhaps they collect what they want rather than what other people think they should or tell them too, it may not be what we all consider to be trendy or in vouge but if a record whatever the style or era still floats someones boat then who are we to question that, perhaps there should be more concern here with the record prices and the possible danger of when our generation finishes with this music then the prices will implode and perhaps get back to some reasonable level...still i guess it depends if we are buying into the true appreciation of the music or the trophy hunting ethic, whichever i find it all a little trait and quite disturbing to be honest, we are losing sight of why we are into this music are we not? it's about the tunes, discovery and enjoyment and if spending £300.00 on The Invitations is waht someone wants to do in his or her pursuit of enjoying what they do then good on them.

Mark Bicknell.

link

I'm all for level-headed approaches, Mark. But I think you've used the wrong example - no getting away from the fact that this is totally crap - end of :shades:

...... All IMVHFO of course :D

Social source share

Mark Bicknell.

link

Mark you and i know full well if someone wants to pay top dollar for a 45', then hell we will champion that venture, i chose the Invitations 45' purely because i believe it to be a truly awful record, that should never fetch more than £10, and i was being a little tongue in cheek with my post, but good lord my friend do you really believe that such records deserve such kudos and price ?, i for one do not, but also understand the ethic behind anyone buying a record for whatever reason .ie trophy/completest etc...

Social source share

I'm all for level-headed approaches, Mark. But I think you've used the wrong example - no getting away from the fact that this is totally crap - end of  :shades:

...... All IMVHFO of course  :D

link

The point has nothing to do with if it's crap or not my point is who are we to question how or what people collect and how much they spend it has nothing to do with us as collecting is a very personal thing, how would you feel if someone questioned how and what you collected?

I do not have an opinion on the quality of this record as i have moved on from such records but to question the methods of other people seems to be a regualr passtime on this forum, basically i take your points of the ridiculous prices of such records but if we choose not to get involved then whats the problem if someone else wishes to own such a record for whatever reasons.

And one other thing there are many questionable records which are championed on this scene which are far more offencive than this one.......we don't all know it all guys and i really take offence to the idea of having a pop at someones freedom to buy what they want and the quality,style or price has nothing to do with anyone else.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Mark you and i know full well if someone wants to pay top dollar for a 45', then hell we will champion that venture, i chose the Invitations 45' purely because i believe it to be a truly awful record, that should never fetch more than £10, and i was being a little tongue in cheek with my post, but good lord my friend do you really believe that such records deserve such kudos and price ?, i for one do not, but also understand the ethic behind anyone buying a record for whatever reason .ie trophy/completest etc...

link

Brett, what i feel about this or other records has nothing to do with what someone else wishes to spend, it's the old chestnut 'a record is only worth what someone wishes to pay for it', personally i never buy records i do not like whatever the value, my point has nothing to do with the record, it's quality or even how rare it might be it's simply more to do with personal taste and again if this record floats the bidders boat then fair play.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Just noticed that "Skiing In The Snow"  (Invitations) is going on John Manships auction site for (at the moment £285)

totally bewildered..

link

my MATE :shades: Mick Smith had mine 10 years ago for £75 and then sold it for £150 so by the way prices have risen in those years £250+ does not seem that bad not that i would want it back :D

Social source share

I dont want to defend this record in any way quality wise but the worst thing that ever happened to it was bieng covered by the dreadful Wigans Ovation in the 70s. The Invitations version was an authentic sixties recording and has played a valid and genuine part in the history of Northern soul and if someone wants to pay good money for it good on them. A US version of James Walsh Gypsy Band - Cuz its you girl fetched £125.00 on Ebay recently , and to me this is a far more waste of money . Horses for courses as they say.

Social source share

I dont want to defend this record in any way quality wise but the worst thing that ever happened to it was bieng covered by the dreadful Wigans Ovation in the 70s. The Invitations version was an authentic sixties recording and has played a valid and genuine part in the history of Northern soul and if someone wants to pay good money for it good on them. A US version of James Walsh Gypsy Band - Cuz its you girl fetched £125.00 on Ebay recently , and to me this is a far more waste of money . Horses for courses as they say.

link

please top tune for some people and a very important part of northern soul history

after all it may of been the record that got someone interested in the scene in the first place All of these records play there part :shades:

[QUOTE]the worst thing that ever happened to it was being covered by the dreadful Wigans Ovation in the 70s.

Social source share

The point has nothing to do with if it's crap or not my point is who are we to question how or what people collect and how much they spend it has nothing to do with us as collecting is a very personal thing, how would you feel if someone questioned how and what you collected?

I do not have an opinion on the quality of this record as i have moved on from such records but to question the methods of other people seems to be a regualr passtime on this forum, basically i take your points of the ridiculous prices of such records but if we choose not to get involved then whats the problem if someone else wishes to own such a record for whatever reasons.

And one other thing there are many questionable records which are championed on this scene which are far more offencive than this one.......we don't all know it all guys and i really take offence to the idea of having a pop at someones freedom to buy what they want and the quality,style or price has nothing to do with anyone else.

Mark Bicknell.

link

I totally agree with all your points, I wasn't having a pop at any particular individuals or their methods of buying, just the record in a stand-alone way. That is just my honest opinion.

Brett has started a new thread, and not hi-jacked a thread where someone mentioned they are bidding for/wanting this record.

I could not believe this when I first heard it, I thought "Surely not", and I thought my Dad was pulling my leg, as I did when I first heard "Love On A Mountain Top"

Yikes! what was all that about?!?! :D

An unrepentant, but honest Jamie :shades:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

link

As mark has been pointing out. People collect for all kinds of reasons.

I have a copy of Larry Davis in my collection. As I stated in the thread about that, I wont sell it, despite thinking the record is quite rubbish.

I file my records more or less in the order I bought them, as opposed to alphabetical, label etc etc. So Larry Davis is in with all the records I was buying at Stafford. So it has a special place in my collection.

It wont ever get a spin at home unless I decide to listen to all the songs I loved at that time, and even then it will probably be one of the last played.

Social source share

Skiing in the snow - fantastic record

Like Adam & Eve - even better record

Larry Davis - f*cking rubbish

those soul snobs who can't see the importance and excellence of records like Skiing In The Snow ought to go back to the rave scene or wherever it is you emereged from

Social source share

those soul snobs who can't see the importance and excellence of records like Skiing In The Snow ought to go back to the rave scene or wherever it is you emereged from

link

You been on a course on how to make friends Pete :shades:

Adam and Eve whilst sounding good is a pop record

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You been on a course on how to make friends Pete :D

link

I used the line it goes together like Marvin and Tammi in a meeting at work today.

2 of the youger colleagues hadn't heard of EITHER of them.

Perhaps Sunny and Cher would have made more sense to the unenlightened.

Now thats a top pop record :shades:

Social source share

You been on a course on how to make friends Pete :shades:

link

Nah just thought I'd see if anyone would bite.

I'm not fussed either way.

Skiing is a good record, it's not great but it is good.

Adam & Eve really reminds me of some great times and I'll never go off it.

Social source share

I used the line it goes together like Marvin and Tammi in a meeting at work today.

2 of the youger colleagues hadn't heard of EITHER of them.

Perhaps Sunny and Cher would have made more sense to the unenlightened.

Now thats a top pop record  :D

link

That's from August & Deneen (awful!!) not Adam & Eve

:shades:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

That's from August & Deneen (awful!!) not Adam & Eve

:shades:

link

Absolutely.

Thats why i said, 'now thats a top pop record'.

I was trying to differentiate between that and the other pop record.

The trouble is I think quicker than I type. Which is quite frightening actually. :D

Social source share

Where did Skiing get played first?

There are lots of NS records that make no sense , good and bad.

For example.

Your autumn of Tomorrow. Crow.

Compared to what. Mr floods party.

So is the sun. World Column

They sound great if you 'DONT' listen to the lyrics, which most kids didn't at 15 years old. If you can dance to it, its worked. All these tunes packed the dancefloors.

Remember!

Ed

Social source share

link

Nothing anybody ever says to me is gonna make me like SITS, just the same as LOAMT.

They are shocking as far as I'm concerned.

And I read your later post before you start :D

Jamie (Soul Snob) :shades:

Social source share

Where did Skiing get played first?

There are lots of NS records that make no sense , good and bad.

For example.

Your autumn of Tomorrow. Crow.

Compared to what. Mr floods party.

So is the sun. World Column

They sound great if you 'DONT' listen to the lyrics, which most kids didn't at 15 years old. If you can dance to it, its worked. All these tunes packed the dancefloors.

Remember!

Ed

link

Also, who was responsible for Hawaii Five 0, Joe 90 and the Rockford Files?

F**kin cover ups. took me years to find these :thumbsup:

Edited by Gogse
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

link

I don't like it anymore. You had my copy in trades. I got a Monique as part of the deal. I think that is a much better record. :thumbsup: I see what you are saying though, just can't be bothered owning records that I don't like, regardless of the historical importance. Anyway you've been and encouraged that David Abbot to play it now, which is a mean trick, his sets are bad enough as it is.

I like Adam & Eve though.

Social source share

??????  :huh:

Please Jamie put me out of my misery, what is LOAMT?

From, Mr Thick As A Whale Omellette, Middlesex.  :thumbsup:

link

Love on a mountain top Ian :)

Social source share

Love on a mountain top Ian  :thumbsup:

link

I remember Pans People dancing to this In a Kinda Video thing before the days of video

LOAMT, Pans People, 14 years old, and to much testostorone, What more could a boy ask for. Guess the smilie that should go hear. :huh::):D

Social source share

Anyway you've been and encouraged that David Abbot to play it now, which is a mean trick, his sets are bad enough as it is.

I like Adam & Eve though.

link

I was going to reply in kind, but i really can't stoop as low as you Mr Toiler.

Hopefully people will read your comments and see what a condescending, pathetic individual you are (especially those who have never heard me DJ). I just think it sad; any more of this and i may start to feel sorry for you. (and i do have the boot of SITS; so thats another that will fit nicely in my playbox. So ner ner)

P.S SITC next wednesday; you coming out for a beer? :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

top man pete s

love em or hate em they are a very important part of northern soul history

and I'm sure they will have there day again :thumbsup:

:huh:

Social source share

I remember reading that Soul Sam played "Hawaii Five-0" as a joke once and the audience kept asking to hear it again

link

that's how Sam got so many spots back then, every time he played it the promoters said

BOOK HIM DAN'O :thumbsup::huh::)

Social source share

I remember reading that Soul Sam played "Hawaii Five-0" as a joke once and the audience kept asking to hear it again

link

going straight in my play box just needs the right DJ to play it another northern soul classic oldie so right for now :):D:D

Oh ,and the blue joe90, is very limited addition and not for sale at any price :huh:

come on you oldies DJs lets get them spinning again :thumbsup:

post-3578-1125426750_thumb.jpg

post-3578-1125426780_thumb.jpg

post-3578-1125426884_thumb.jpg

Social source share

going straight in my play box just needs the right DJ to play it another northern soul classic oldie so right for now :D   :D   :D

Oh ,and the blue joe90, is very limited addition and not for sale at any price :)

link

just loving it :huh:

Social source share

going straight in my play box just needs the right DJ to play it another northern soul classic oldie so right for now :D   :)   :D

Oh ,and the blue joe90, is very limited addition and not for sale at any price :D

link

Yikes! The Three Before Eight!!!! :D:D

I'm only knobbling before it gets out of hand

Jamie :huh:

Social source share