2011-06-10: Cleethorpes 6Ts Weekender

Event Title: Cleethorpes 6TS Weekender

Event Author: ady croasdell

Calendar: Allnighter/Weekenders

Event Date: Fri 10 June 2011

-------------------------------------------------

The 19th 6TS Cleethorpes Northern and Modern Soul Weekender.

Top US Northern Soul Acts, live band, DJs of the calibre of Butch, Mick Smith, Keith Money, Mick H, Roger Banks, Ady Croasdell, Terry Jones, Soul Sam, Mark Randle etc and more soul filled fun than you can shake a stick at.

www.6ts.info for all yer info!

Visit this Event in Soul Source Events Guide for venue maps, street views,road and rail directions and more

• Replies 146
  • Views 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 1 month later...
Guest Mrs Simsy

Not yet but there's a very strong contender I can hopefully wrap up in a month or so.

Good news-we've postponed our holiday to America so we can attend!:lol::( Its a pain trying to arrange normal life around the soul calendar!:thumbsup:

Denise is coming again this year and so with my partner in crime in attendence i fully expect us to win the fancy dress competition.:D

Are tickets available now?

• 1 month later...

Good news-we've postponed our holiday to America so we can attend!yes.gif:thumbsup: Its a pain trying to arrange normal life around the soul calendar!:hatsoff2:

Denise is coming again this year and so with my partner in crime in attendence i fully expect us to win the fancy dress competition.laugh.gif

Are tickets available now?

Brill, that'll be nice to see Batwoman again.

Check out the next post for all your drunken weekend needs.

6TS Weekenders

52, Burnmill Rd

Market Harborough

Leics

LE16 7JF

31/3/11

Dear Cleethorpes contender,

The 6TS Cleethorpes Northern & Modern Soul Weekender is proud to announce that our live acts for our 19th weekender on June 10th-12th 2011 will be Sandi Sheldon, Derek Martin and Noel McCoy.

I have been keen to see Sandi, who also sang under her real name Kendra Spotswood aka Kenni Woods, for many years. I missed her at her London performance at the Rocket some years ago and have regretted it ever since. Apart from her own records she was the lead singer on the Vonettes' stormer 'Touch My Heart', was the Charmaines (the name attributed to her acetate demo) on 'Standing In The Need Of Love' and was Van McCoy's right hand girl throughout his soul career. She will perform a tribute to Van's incredible career too.

Derek Martin is a major soul act who has never visited the UK. From his first record, the original mod classic 'Daddy Rollin' Stone' to his 100 Club Sue favourite 'If You Go' and on through his Roulette years, when he cut records of the quality of 'Breakaway' and the beautiful ballad 'You'd Better Go', he has delivered stunning soul sounds that have been hugely appreciated in Europe. His oddball Stax/Tuba release 'Sly Girl' is a personal favourite with an irresistible beat and a clutch of recently (10 years ago!) discovered acetates from his mentor Teddy Randazzo's publishing company have included the brilliant 'Flashback', 'Baby What Changed Your Mind' and 'I Can't Take It No More'. He also sang several great early 70s tracks for Buttercup and All Platinum labels so it will be a matter of "What the hell do we leave out?"

Noel McCoy is a poorly kept music business secret, a young black Londoner with as soulful a voice as I've heard in years. He has been recording for a few years now and modern soul fans probably know him better than their 60s counterparts. I caught him at a recent London soul-dance gig where he entered the stage with much confidence and launched into a ballad. I thought that was too ambitious, but he had caught everyone's attention in seconds and had them in the palm of his hand by the finish. His next song was a terrific 60s styled stomper that also oozed soul and I was won over. He has worked with Ian Levine recently (as has Sandi of course) and is now working with new band New Street Adventure who have written a tribute to the 100 Club nighters among others. I thought it would be good to let him show the Cleethorpes crowd what he can do.

All the accommodation has gone as usual but we have plenty of weekend passes and Thorpe Park has caravans next door. Give them a call on 01472 813395 or try the tourist board for B&Bs 01472 323222.

Passes are £59 each or pay a £20 deposit to the above address. PayPal is OK to ady.croasdell@btinternet.com but it's £20.75 or £61 that way to cover their costs.

www.6ts.info for more details or email the above address or phone 0207 636 2622.

See you at the seaside

Ady & Charlie

Noel McCoy is a poorly kept music business secret, a young black Londoner with as soulful a voice as I've heard in years. He has been recording for a few years now and modern soul fans probably know him better than their 60s counterparts. I caught him at a recent London soul-dance gig where he entered the stage with much confidence and launched into a ballad. I thought that was too ambitious, but he had caught everyone's attention in seconds and had them in the palm of his hand by the finish. His next song was a terrific 60s styled stomper that also oozed soul and I was won over. He has worked with Ian Levine recently (as has Sandi of course) and is now working with new band New Street Adventure who have written a tribute to the 100 Club nighters among others. I thought it would be good to let him show the Cleethorpes crowd what he can do.

Caught Noel at the 100 club last Saturday night - he'll do for me :thumbsup:

I assume the "young" bit is relative to yourself Ady, or else he had no hood on his pram ? He certainly had the place buzzing with his energetic funk, a Marv Gaye cover and a brilliant "Right Track" finale which was the dog's whatsits without doubt.

Taff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ranger

Several people have pointed out to me that I know knob all about modern soul and that Noel is well known and hugely respected so i really should get my coat. However I'll endeavour to concoct a set worthy of him that will blow da Cleggy roof off.

Yours dimly

H Horace

Maybe not one for the big room but 'Baby Mother Baby Father' is a big favourite of mine.

Kev

Guest Mrs Simsy

Yeh well Karen if you get in caravan opposite ours,will you try keep the noise down plz!

Sum of us are trying to paartay! And your snoring only puts us off !!:thumbup: x x

laugh.gif

Really looking forward to seeing Sandi Sheldon.:D Can't wait for June to roll around.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Miss Cleethorpes, will be good to catch up..

Anything sorted for Sunday night yet

Was Sandi Miss Cleethorpes then I didn't know that. She does look good on the flyer though.

Gotta resurrect Northern Karaoke for Sunday, any other workable (and legal) suggestions accepted though.

Taken from this famous photo shoot for Chris Bartley's album, this is actually the publicity poster, as you

see signed by both Sandi & Chris :D:yes::D

post-4408-0-48613500-1304353498_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L

Yeh well Karen if you get in caravan opposite ours,will you try keep the noise down plz!

Sum of us are trying to paartay! And your snoring only puts us off !!:( x x

:lol:I'd be cross if the above weren't true laugh.gif

I'll be driving from Kent to Cleethorpes on my tod. Could use some company (if only to stop me nodding off on the way home!!!!).

If you are close to the M2/Dartford Crossing/M11 let me know and see if we can work something out.

I might also be tempted to go via Blackwall Tunnel, so could pick up at Bromley-By-Bow tube.

Cheers

Neil

(neilsmarsh at aol dot co dot uk)

=========================

Now got a lift sorted. cheers.

NM 15 May

Edited by Neil Marsh
Guest Mrs Simsy

I'll be driving from Kent to Cleethorpes on my tod. Could use some company (if only to stop me nodding off on the way home!!!!).

If you are close to the M2/Dartford Crossing/M11 let me know and see if we can work something out.

I might also be tempted to go via Blackwall Tunnel, so could pick up at Bromley-By-Bow tube.

Cheers

Neil

(neilsmarsh at aol dot co dot uk)

Emailed you.wink.gif Ok the emailed bounced back so i have sent you a FB msg!:yes:

Edited by Mrs Simsy

NORWICH SOUL CITY crowd will be in attendance, celebrating the weekender and our fantastic achievement this season!!

Ady, any plans to give one or two of the East Anglers a daytime spot this year?

Regards

Mark C :thumbsup:

I think your posse's down for a Sunday Afto shing-a-ling Mark; none of that Premiership bragging allowed though!

Guest Soulshar

Train for me from the Wolverhampton area, unless any kind person has room for a little one (and a case and bag) in their car, I am quite friendly and don't bite unless provoked smile.gif.

Need to know asap coz have to get advance train ticket as it's cheaper.

Of course will pay towards petrol costs.:hatsoff2:

Just had a phone call from the owner informing me that the caravan on Beachcomber that had been booked and paid for 7 months ago will not now be available :hatsoff2::yes::D

Gazumped on a caravan :lol:

Looks like plan B is dossing in the stable with Bearsy, Marie and Hercules. no.gif

Taff

Just the Saturday for me this year so probably gonna get a B&B. Any recommendations for somewhere a bit nearer to the Site than Central Cleethorpes?

Hotel Jedburgh Guest House Address 26 Albert Road, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LX

I'm booked here...................

Edited by Chris L
Guest Ollie Lailey

Not ventured out for a while, been saving myself for Cleethorpes. I will try and make the sunday night this time. No promises though.

Guest Soulshar

Well a girl has to take all her bits and pieces, it takes longer these days to stay looking polished and squeaky clean ;)and it is only a little bag.

See you when I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed and when I'm knackered and falling to bits.

I always knew that Wolverhampton was THE place to go to lol although I am incognito on here and only the honoured few know me so welcome!!! lol.

Gonna be windowlicking fun!!!!!! :lol:

We have some Saturday all-nighter only tickets (9pm-8am and featuring the live acts; Sandi Sheldon, Derek Martin and Noel McKoy) available for £25 each by cheque (if sent first class this week) payable to 6TS Weekenders, 52 Burnmill Rd, Market Harborough, Leics, LE16 7JF, please enclose an SAE. PayPal will cost £25.75 payable to ady.croasdell@btinternet.com

Be quick!

Ady

Cleethorpes = Ace. Word. Plus it's gonna be at least 95 degrees for the full weekend. Honest.

I'm hoping the programme still contains those legendary words.... "Aquaslide (Definitely open this year)" - even tho it ain't been there since about 1996.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm staying sober this year in order to fully appreciate the ambiance and all round experience.

Edited by steve woomble

An update on the appearance of Noel McKoy at Cleethorpes 2011...........Noel will be doing a PA at 4:30pm on Saturday afternoon in the Modern Room.

Look forward to that........a PA in the Modern Room!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Crikey!

Hey if it's sunny can we all sit round the pool and get him to do it on the balcony?.... Result! :thumbsup:

Guest Ranger

An update on the appearance of Noel McKoy at Cleethorpes 2011...........Noel will be doing a PA at 4:30pm on Saturday afternoon in the Modern Room.

Look forward to that........a PA in the Modern Room!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Haven't seen him sing live since the Leeds jazz festivals in the mid 9ts, so this is a real bonus. Any chance of Baby Mother, Baby Father, Mark?

Kev

Teff has very kindly donated the Upstairs Room to Natalie on Saurday Night as it's a special birthday, so in addition to the usual mayhem, we'll be celebrating Nat's birthday with a top line up of DJs and other ne'er do wells with special needs to play by Royal Appointment including these fellahs...

Kitch

Andy Dyson

Mick H

Arthur Fenn

Tricky Trev

Marco

Chalky

Tony Smith

Me

Nicola

Teff

Chuddy

Andy Whitmore

Jock O'Connor

Colin Law

Amongst the celebrations, cake, and Hayley doing her bit for charideee there will no doubt be plenty of good tunes, and prizes for the team that can move the pool table, incurring the least amount of hernias....

Everyone's welcome, unless you've got grey shoes or scare easily.... :hatsoff2:

post-8628-0-36814400-1307215191_thumb.jp

Edited by Wrongcrowd

Teff has very kindly donated the Upstairs Room to Natalie on Saurday Night as it's a special birthday, so in addition to the usual mayhem, we'll be celebrating Nat's birthday with a top line up of DJs and other ne'er do wells with special needs to play by Royal Appointment including these fellahs...

Kitch

Andy Dyson

Mick H

Arthur Fenn

Tricky Trev

Marco

Chalky

Tony Smith

Me

Nicola

Teff

Chuddy

Andy Whitmore

Jock O'Connor

Colin Law

Amongst the celebrations, cake, and Hayley doing her bit for charideee there will no doubt be plenty of good tunes, and prizes for the team that can move the pool table, incurring the least amount of hernias....

Everyone's welcome, unless you've got grey shoes or scare easily.... :yes:

Will there be any nibbles and finger food? :hatsoff2:

Glad you finally got round to posting this up Mr Steele - a really great lineup chosen by Natalie, as expected!

No doubt HRH will be wearing the royal jewels that night too :hatsoff2:

m

Source Advert