Sidney Barnes And The Funk Brothers 'chains'

Suinoz

Just been listening to the MP3 of a fantastic new track from Sidney Barnes and the Funk Brothers titled '" Chains ". My good mate Andy Cox here in Perth, aka Soul Exchange has been chatting to Sidney via email and is hoping to lay the music for the b side to what will be a dancefloor filler. Background behind the new track apparently is, it's a Funk Brothers instrumental track from the vaults with Sidney singing the vocals and a solo sax accompanyment by Mike Terry who is a good friend of Sidney's. As yet there is no designated label for the release but it's thought the eventual release of the 45 may be available through John Manship at www.raresoulman. Sidney admits to making the record for the ' northern soul scene ' to which he is very popular and his endearing fans will be clammering to get their hands on this awesome newie. Not sure I can upload the MP3 as yet on soul source as it's all a bit ' up in the air ' at the present time and there could be copyright issues. However, Sidney say's ' I am really anxious to get this out to everyone on the northern soul scene asap '. It will be a hit wherever it's played. Look out for it in future sales listings. Keep the Faith. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sidney truly is one of soul's good guys & deserves all the success that comes his way.

He is great to chat with and recently told me this about his last UK live show .....

...... The trip over to Prestatyn was cool since I enjoy traveling. The time in the van from the airport to the venue gave me the chance to bond with the others on the show. I loved the accommodation and everybody we met from the minute we arrived was very gracious and friendly. Everything ran much smoother than I'm sure any of us expected. And as usual there were the fans, those sweet wonderful people that by now I feel so very close to. Northern Soul fans have become like family to me. I love singing to them, as well as meeting and talking with them whenever I can get the chance. Without their support I don't know what I'd be doing now, they have given me and others like me, such genuine love, confidence and support. I truly love each and every one of them with all my heart for that. Looking out over the massive crowd at Prestatyn, I saw the smiles and felt the love that only comes from a true Northern Soul fan. It felt great, like water to a thirsty man. The band and the back up singers that supported us on stage that night were well above average and really helped us maintain the energy level we needed to do what we came there to do. It's so funny, every time I think about retiring from the stage, I get a call from the UK, I go there to perform, my juices start flowing and I'm back at it again.

So the love that the fans show the man keep him going. No doubt it is this that helped encourage him to go back into the vaults to find the master tape of the old track he's now trying to ensure sees the light of day. After his appearance at the Prestatyn Weekender last March, he dashed back to the States and went straight into the studio with old friend George Clinton to work on some new material.

....... You can't keep a good 'old un' down !!

Social source share

Know what you mean Roburt. He truly is a proper gentleman of soul. I too saw him at Prestatyn last March and had the good fortune to be able to have a chat with him. I have had some great laughs at the copies of emails i have from him recently, particularly about his new record and what it means to him. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

sounds very interesting....can you confirm if mike terry's contribution was laid down before he passed away?, was the instrumental a bare outline/unfinished product that is also previously unheard?. obviously its going to attract the attention of detroit collectors if its something genuinely unique so can you post more info asap please?

Social source share

Al had both Dave ... 'Keep On Lovin Me' inst that I seem to think was credited to the Marvelettes and the 'True Fine Boy' acetate. Archive research has yet to identify a vocal track recording so not much chance a contemperaneous vocal will ever surface.

The track was 'released' on Bari but i don't think they ever got over to the UK in any numbers at all with the stock all being left with the man who had them done in Detroit. Obviously a handful came back .. can anybody confirm my recollection or determine if the Bari 45 is actually pretty tough to locate

Andy

Social source share

Al had both Dave ... 'Keep On Lovin Me' inst that I seem to think was credited to the Marvelettes and the 'True Fine Boy' acetate. Archive research has yet to identify a vocal track recording so not much chance a contemperaneous vocal will ever surface.

The track was 'released' on Bari but i don't think they ever got over to the UK in any numbers at all with the stock all being left with the man who had them done in Detroit. Obviously a handful came back .. can anybody confirm my recollection or determine if the Bari 45 is actually pretty tough to locate

Andy

Cheers Andy,

I wasn't sure about the two acetate tracks. It may well have been the Bari 45 that had me confused. Hope you're well Sir. :lol:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Just been listening to the MP3 of a fantastic new track from Sidney Barnes and the Funk Brothers titled '" Chains ". My good mate Andy Cox here in Perth, aka Soul Exchange has been chatting to Sidney via email and is hoping to lay the music for the b side to what will be a dancefloor filler. Background behind the new track apparently is, it's a Funk Brothers instrumental track from the vaults with Sidney singing the vocals and a solo sax accompanyment by Mike Terry who is a good friend of Sidney's. As yet there is no designated label for the release but it's thought the eventual release of the 45 may be available through John Manship at www.raresoulman. Sidney admits to making the record for the ' northern soul scene ' to which he is very popular and his endearing fans will be clammering to get their hands on this awesome newie. Not sure I can upload the MP3 as yet on soul source as it's all a bit ' up in the air ' at the present time and there could be copyright issues. However, Sidney say's ' I am really anxious to get this out to everyone on the northern soul scene asap '. It will be a hit wherever it's played. Look out for it in future sales listings. Keep the Faith. Tony. OZ.

if you got copyright concerns how about just wack a 30-45 sec clip up

sure it be of interest thumbsup.gif

Social source share

O.K. Mike, happy to do that but how do i upload from an MP3. Been speaking with Andy Cox who is involved in the release of the eventual 45 of Chains and is laying down the vocal for the B side at present ( we think it will be titled ' Uptight " ). He is happy to have the sounclip on S.S. Best. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

O.K. Mike, happy to do that but how do i upload from an MP3. Been speaking with Andy Cox who is involved in the release of the eventual 45 of Chains and is laying down the vocal for the B side at present ( we think it will be titled ' Uptight " ). He is happy to have the sounclip on S.S. Best. Tony. OZ.

just hit the "reply with refosoul clip" button at the bottom of this page

if any probs

send it via pm to me and i add it direct under your name

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Glad you enjoyed the sound track. I spun the acetate for the very first time here at the FLY in Fremantle last Friday. WOW !!! it went down a storm as expected and Andy Cox was there to witness it. Think i detected a tear in his eye, bless him. B.T.W. Larry Clinton helped produce this for Sidney. Not too sure of a release date yet for the 45, but watch this space. Tony T Bone. OZ.

Social source share

Guest Dante

sounds very interesting....can you confirm if mike terry's contribution was laid down before he passed away?, was the instrumental a bare outline/unfinished product that is also previously unheard?. obviously its going to attract the attention of detroit collectors if its something genuinely unique so can you post more info asap please?

Am I the only one who noticed this?

I can confirm that it most certainly was.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert