Dobber

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Had a couple of these in the past , and if my memory serves me correctly the labels were reversed on both copies. Just out of curiosity were they all like that?

All the best

Steve B

I haven't seen none with labels right way.

It was comped on a cd by Goldmine and it's credited Call On Me but plays the "Sorry" side.

Social source share

The label (Millage) was owned by O'Dell Bailey, who lived in Detroit, but he also had a studio in Phittsburg, were he recorded many of the tracks, but don't know which, a few were recorded in Detroit. He also owned Single B, which he ran from his Detroit address and most of these artists were from Detroit.

O'Dell died about 8 years ago, passing away at his home in Detroit. Only met him once, but he was a real gent, he distributed much of his stuff through Ernest Kelly's Inter-Soul company.

Lastly The Four Reputation, was a miss spelling on the label and should have been The Four Reputations, also many were pressed with the labels reversed, all of which didn't help with the records sucess or lack of it.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Yes, a weird one this.

Some of the Millage records have Detroit, Michigan on the label such as the Tawney Vonne scan shown below.

This is connected to the Four Reputation record by Telldell Music

Cheers

Richard

I'm quite sure, that I have that title you've scanned Richard but it's actually credited to Kay-zia, and also has the Pittsburgh address stuck on it :g:

Social source share

Sounds like the one I posted in refosoul, about 15 seconds missing from the 45.

Also released as The Presentations on AMM, it's a bit faster and extra horns and harmonies in it if I remember rightly.

I've got the Presentations version and as you say more Horns and Harmonies but same tempo.Cant make up my mind which cut i prefere.I presume they are the same group vocals certainly sound same.Great record either one should get more spins heartstopping NORTHERN SOUL

Social source share

I've got the Presentations version and as you say more Horns and Harmonies but same tempo.Cant make up my mind which cut i prefere.I presume they are the same group vocals certainly sound same.Great record either one should get more spins heartstopping NORTHERN SOUL

Pretty surge the actual lead vocal is about plus two quicker. Anyway if you slow the Presentations down a touch it is practically the same vocally. I'll dig it out later, sure there's one in sales box on AMM.

Social source share

chalky, I don't think there is a millage label out of chicago, what records are you thinking of.

didn't someone from the four reputations actually post here a while back? maybe someone from the band or something?

Just been upstairs and re-checked the R&B Indies. Kazia and Kelly St Clair the releases but R&B Indies list it as Chicago which is wrong. Same as the Pittsburg/Detroit owned label. The Kazia one is same as 101 with the but with different flip by Kazia, not the one with Tawney Vonne as in the scan.

Social source share

Yes, a weird one this.

Some of the Millage records have Detroit, Michigan on the label such as the Tawney Vonne scan shown below.

This is connected to the Four Reputation record by Telldell Music

Cheers

Richard

Funny that, I've got a Tawney Vonne I say please, just dug it out after I seen yours, but mine, is a yellow Millage 101A, the label type looks hand written, Vonne is credited where Kazia is on your pic, just wondering about which is the rarer of the two.

Cheers

Aid

Social source share

Funny that, I've got a Tawney Vonne I say please, just dug it out after I seen yours, but mine, is a yellow Millage 101A, the label type looks hand written, Vonne is credited where Kazia is on your pic, just wondering about which is the rarer of the two.

Cheers

Aid

What is on the flip? According to R&B Indies (I think) Tawney Vonne one side Kazia on t'other. Kazia released again later on with own flip.

Social source share

I have an album by the Love People on Guinness, which I believe is a very tough album anyway. In the middle of the ballads and the sweet soul is a storming version of "Call on Me". Took me by total surprise when I first played the album. Maybe it could even be the Presentations under a different name.

Must dig the album out but I cannot find it at the moment.

Social source share

Out of interest, what sort of price would folks put on a decent copy of the Presentations on AMM then?

I've seen it for as little as £40 but have seen for more, £70 on a couple of occasions and higher on another. Thats within the last year and in boxes, not auctions.

Social source share

D'ya know, this track ticks all the Northern Soul boxes without a doubt...yet it has never done anything for me...don't know why just doesn't!

Ain't it great that we all like different things!?

:hypocrite:

Ticks all the boxes for me and I love it...remember Nick Brown would always spin it for me years ago.

Too right as well Mr Flynnster, be boring if we all liked the same.

Social source share

Out of interest, what sort of price would folks put on a decent copy of the Presentations on AMM then?

Used to have the Four Reputations version but sold it for about £300 if I remember correctly. I have the Presentations version somewhere...£50, nice condition if anyone is interested

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert