Gay Connection?

ulyssees

A little off topic but in the the right area i think.

At the last Derby Assemblies i was outside having a smoke, as you do, when this women who i did not know but had seen around for a number of years for some apparent reason just asked the question straight out, "You are arnt ya mi duck"? ......."what"?......."Gay"......After i had picked myself up off the floor and found the composure to ask why she would think this, all she said was look at how you are standing, look at how you are holding the smoke inbetween your thumb and forth finger.......the situation was addressed pronto after realising i was leaning against a concrete pillar with my right hand taking my weight, my right leg crossed over and infront of my left.........think you get the picture.

After several visits outside that night and EVERY time she was there also, i never did even come close to convincing her that i was not gay.

I have told this story since to my partner who has never been to or interested in going to a nighter...ever, and the response i got was not what i expected. " Oh it's just the way you are, lot's of people have asked me if you are bi" WTF!! "you do at times slip into a feminine posture and don't realise it"

Point being i suppose is you are what you are and nothing you do to try and change it will ever change it, it really don't matter if you are this or that and more's the point in this day and age why should we give a fiddlers what people are so long as we get on?

Just to add though.........I AM NOT GAY................i think :g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

did i read correctly that marvin gaye was gay?....was it a wind up?...bearing in mind he kept the population of belgian prostitutes from starving.!!!

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

did i read correctly that marvin gaye was gay?....was it a wind up?...bearing in mind he kept the population of belgian prostitutes from starving.!!!

I think he kept Tammy Terrell supplied as well , although he never admitted it !

Dirty lucky bugger !

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I think he kept Tammy Terrell supplied as well , although he never admitted it !

Dirty lucky bugger !

she probably needed some tlc after david ruffin james brown and ernie terrell had finished with her. :(

Social source share

she probably needed some tlc after david ruffin james brown and ernie terrell had finished with her. :(

I know we are off topic a touch, but apart from the same surname what was Tammi's connection to Ernie Terrell, I know the Jean/Supremes connection but wasn't aware of Tammi and Ernie, but that's nothing new

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I know we are off topic a touch, but apart from the same surname what was Tammi's connection to Ernie Terrell, I know the Jean/Supremes connection but wasn't aware of Tammi and Ernie, but that's nothing new

thought i read she was married to ernie pete, if i'm wrong i stand corrected. wont be the first time lol thought jean was ernie's sister

Edited by JIM BARRY
Social source share

thought i read she was married to ernie pete, if i'm wrong i stand corrected. wont be the first time lol

No worries Jim, and I'm almost sure she wasn't, I wasn't trying to pull you up on that, in fact by making the last post I was uncomfortable that as a fight fan and a soul fan i had spent a lifetime not knowing the glaringly obvious,

Any way being gay, I wouldn't know but 2 blokes wages and no kids has a certain appeal :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think it just reflects what is probably the Northern Soul Scenes greatest attribute. We accept anyone. It doesn't matter if you are gay,

lesbian, straight, black , white, can dance, can't dance, DJ, or not, as long as you love Soulmusic, that's enough ! You're in !

Spot on Dave, I was one of the biggest pain in the arses ( excuse the pun) on the scene at one time , but we never gave a f£&k if you were a Gay or not , wot,'s that got to do with it. It's music not rugby, as you say all welcome , apart from rangers supporters

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Just seen your edit, and yes I thought she was his sister, that's what I meant by connection,

Ernie was a boxer and her brother

it's just a shame he never beat the crap out of James Brown for the damage he inflicted on her !

or

apparently David Ruffin was violent towards her as well as "A motown executive "who allegedly smashed her over the head with a metal chair" while a bodygaurd stood by the door !

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Just a thought but there seems to be a long running connection between the Northern scene and the gay fraternity, I am thinking of quite a few important people along the years who have been instrumental in shaping our scene. It also seems to be quite ironic that the best and most famous club of all is situated in a gay club in the heart of Manchesters gay village.

Any thoughts on this, over to you.

Yule.

what a pointless and pathetic post, your 45 post on SS and you come out with this Shite, for once im totally speechless :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Ernie was who's brother? Not Tammi's surely

No sorry he was a boxer who it is said , she might have been married to at some point but obviously not for long
Social source share

No sorry he was a boxer who it is said , she might have been married to at some point but obviously not for long

I still say there is no connection between Ernie and Tammi Terrell apart from sharing the same surname, so I'm not sure why he should give James Brown a good hiding, but then again what do I know?

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I still say there is no connection between Ernie and Tammi Terrell apart from sharing the same surname, so I'm not sure why he should give James Brown a good hiding, but then again what do I know?

well someone should have given ruffin and brown a good hiding, i wonder what brought on the brain tumour?...i whack over the head with a metal chair wouldn't do a girls brain any favours.

Social source share

what a pointless and pathetic post, your 45 post on SS and you come out with this Shite, for once im totally speechless :rolleyes:

can you elaborate about what is pointless and pathetic? I think he's about the connection of northern soul and gay culture, not commenting on the sexuality of random DJs. "gay culture" does exist (albeit in different forms, it's not monolithic), it's not like it's some rhetorical thing that people make up to discriminate against people.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well someone should have given ruffin and brown a good hiding, i wonder what brought on the brain tumour?...i whack over the head with a metal chair wouldn't do a girls brain any favours.

I agree 100% Jim, but it's hardly Ernies responsibility, because they had the same name, he was busy nursing his own injuries sustained from repeated whacks over the head from Ali's right hand, he wasn't bright enough to call the greatest by his real name, let alone defend another Terrell he probably doesn't know lol

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Ey up Jimbo :thumbsup: thouight someone posted Gaye was his stage name & Gay was his family name :wicked:

Regards

Me Julie

hi me julie, lol. it was a post by winnie early on i think it was no 32...it just said marvin as an answer to any gays...didn't get the pun at the time . all the best babe..xx

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Her real name was Thomasina Winifred Montgomery which is the name on her tombstone !
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

it doesn't say that anywhere pete, i knew about the abuse from ruffin and brown and remembered that clearly, and had a vague memory of ernie, i knew of the "alleged connection" and got one aspect wrong, not a bad memory for an old un....atb jim

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

it doesn't say that anywhere pete, i knew about the abuse from ruffin and brown and remembered that clearly, and had a vague memory of ernie, i knew of the "alleged connection" and got one aspect wrong, not a bad memory for an old un....atb jim

Jim i think i must have read the same piece as you some years ago it was a long scathing piece about the violence dished out to her and i think i recall it said Marvin Gaye actually said he held James Brown responsible , although i cant seem to find it now
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Found this very interesting documentary by people that knew her , family etc

if you don't want to watch all 40 minutes of it wind it to 8.12 for the James Brown beatings

https://www.youtube.c...&v=m9iHLx8i-4g#!

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

can you elaborate about what is pointless and pathetic? I think he's about the connection of northern soul and gay culture, not commenting on the sexuality of random DJs. "gay culture" does exist (albeit in different forms, it's not monolithic), it's not like it's some rhetorical thing that people make up to discriminate against people.

why should i elaborate, i think this thread is a joke, my opinion, Gay culture Gay fraternity Gay people etc etc etc, why should the sexuality of a human being have anyhting to do with anything and of all places on the Soul Scene where it matters not what or who you are its about the music,

Social source share

why should i elaborate, i think this thread is a joke, my opinion, Gay culture Gay fraternity Gay people etc etc etc, why should the sexuality of a human being have anyhting to do with anything and of all places on the Soul Scene where it matters not what or who you are its about the music,

I started to write a long response but it's not worth it. You're one of those "race doesn't exist everyone is the same" people too probably. You should come to chicago which is heavily segregated and a much larger percentage of african americans versus white people live in poverty, populate the prisons, etc. Racism is institutionalized, no matter how much you want to pretend it's meaningless. People who live together and have common experiences inherently have a common culture that is usually different from people with different experiences. If anything, it's totally ignorant and exclusionary to say that there's some sort of universal culture that applies to everyone. Your "it's all about the music" comment is an example of this. Do you really think that a Paul Anka tune that is good to dance to in a certain way means the same thing to an African American kid living in the projects today as it does to someone in England who was on the northern scene at a specific time? There is no universal music that's great for everyone.

Here's another news flash: there was a gay club culture in the US in the 80s. It's not homophobic to say there was. Not everyone who was gay participated in the culture. But it existed. Asking how the northern scene intersected with this club culture is not homophobic, it's understanding the real dynamics between two different scenes. Pretending that all races, religions, classes equally participated in every possible scene is silly.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think this is a silly thread its like discussing how many Gay people happen to like cornflakes in comparison to other types of sexual preferences lets say who do .

I don't think that's the point.

Either way, I'm going to stop posting in this thread, I'm not on this board to make enemies.

Also, Bearsy, I hope you understand it's nothing personal, I think you're a really nice guy.

Social source share

The very fact this is being discusse and a topic raised shows it has some relevance at least by some members think so. I might not agree with this or many other topics but as long as it is discussed in an adult manner, without the prejudices and juvenile behaviour shown by one or two then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think this is a silly thread its like discussing how many Gay people happen to like cornflakes in comparison to other types of sexual preferences lets say who do .

You're not telling me cornflakes have sexual connotations, are you? You naughty girl, Carms!

Social source share

You're not telling me cornflakes have sexual connotations, are you? You naughty girl, Carms!

Well they're not exactly straight are they! :P

Social source share

Not read all the posts, but there are lots of gay people on the scene (some open/others not) FACT!!

Just like every other scene or way of life, I don't see any problem with this so why debate it.

Someone posted said there can't be more than what you can count on two hands, whoever you are did you never go to Prestwich?

There was always a group of sometimes 20 or more in the main room and there where aways a few in the modern room.

They where there for the cause they liked the music, end of!

I personaly think the scene is a better place for there being around, most of them I know you can always have a good laugh with.

Dave T.

Social source share

I don't think the question was on an individual punter level but rather if the two scenes had overlapped at any time with sounds crossing over, for example I heard that Candi Staton's Young Hearts Run Free was a gay 'hit' before it broke out onto mainstream radio playlists in the US, and we've been told that YHRF and gay rights campaigner Gloria Gaynor's first disco releases were played at the Highland Room before anywhere else in the UK.

Social source share