Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

To be honest Keith,

If I stated I would only send for a certain postage to cover myself then I'd be adamant to stick to it.

I have been mugged off in the past regarding a delivery "not turning up! and the only way to cover yourself is to pay for insured delivery with tracking so I cant blame the guy really.

He is only covering himself at the end of the day and he did state what postage was didn't he?

If you didn't agree with the postage cost then don't bid. Regardless of how much something is worth.

(Just my honest opinion ...... you did ask !)

ATB

Eddie

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Loads of 'em have been doing this for years, each time I have questioned (before buying I might add)them I've been ignored or told 'these are our standard rates' Fecking clowns...

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Loads of 'em have been doing this for years, each time I have questioned (before buying I might add)them I've been ignored or told 'these are our standard rates' Fecking clowns...

Social source share

After winning an item, I often ask sellers to clarify costs if their rates are too high. It's amazing how many of them suddenly find that "the postage costs weren't as high as I thought they were now that I've checked. What I'll do is charge $xx instead."

After winning an item the spectre of negative feedback looms large for sellers and I think many back down on postage costs when they know that they're deliberately overcharging.

However, where someone states that postage will be something stupid like $29, then I always approach the seller nicely and ask them to clarify why the cost is so high, and if there are other options. If the seller doesn't want to discuss the matter then, well, you know they're looking to rip you off plain and simple.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

One US seller I dealt with wouldn't do a combined postage for 2 recortds I bought. I accepted his postage costs but disagreed with him not combining postage. I told him that for the price I paid, I would expect it express delivery and signed for. It came express delivery and give or take a couple of dollars it was the postage he requested. You might have to bite the bullet and pay the postage and if the postage cost is more than a couple of dollars less than the stamp, put in a claim for over charging postage.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

just pay it & if it doesn't arrive express with tracking then leave a negative & regardless don't deal with them ever again.

i can definitely see why they are doing this, i've offered people a tracked service before, they have refused & said they won't claim if it doesn't arrive, then it goes missing & they claim.

and i wont claim if it goes missing

this is never ever the case in my experience.

Social source share

Did it state the postage in the auction? If it did, it might be high, but I don't see how you could haggle afterwards.

If he's sending it priority international or some other service, that might be the cost. If you get the package you can read the cost on the package. If it is much different than what he paid, email him asking for a partial refund. If he refuses (and postage wasn't stated in the auction) you can do a partial paypal chargeback for excessive postage.

Social source share

Slightly off topic, but just to show the other side of the coin, I recently bought a book from a seller on US ebay. Before the bids ended I asked how much for the postage and he said he'd check with the postal service and get back to me as he didn't normally do much international posting, which he did and quoted me 28 dollars. Not knowing how heavy the book might be I had to take him at his word, but of course I adjusted my maximum bid downwards by 20 dollars.

I was lucky enough to have the winning bid, then I got an email from the seller, telling me he'd heard there was a different way he could send it for less money but he couldn't be sure until he had time to check it out. I was happy with the total price it was going to cost me (inc 28 dollars post) so I sent him the full amount.

The book turned up quickly, the label on the parcel showing he had found a different lower rate. Next thing I know I get thirteen quid back into my paypal account, just in time for an Arthur Prysock 45 I'd just won for the same amount, give or take a few pence.

Don't we all love "free" records - and genuine ebay sellers !!!

Social source share

greedy bast**d

again, how do you know the dude is pocketing the money? If you get the package and it has $29 on it as shipping, how is he ripping you off? How is he a greedy bastard? Because he wants to protect himself against fraud?

If it has more than a dollar or two less, I would ask him for a refund of the difference. If he doesn't agree, do a paypal claim for excessive shipping. In that case he's a greedy bastard. But I would assume he's ripping you off until you get evidence of it.

BTW, I get ripped off in shipping a LOT from foreign sellers.

Social source share

Also, if the auction explicitly listed the shipping cost before ending, you can't after it's over expect him to change his quoted shipping. If you see excessive shipping, ask before the auction is over if they can ship a different way. If they refuse, either avoid the seller or bid lower to make up the difference.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

just won a 45 on e-bay

dealer has stated he wants 29 dollars to post to uk

the record is only worth 50-00 - uk

i won it for 27 dollars

asked him to just send 7-8 dollar normal post

and get proof of post

and i wont claim if it goes missing

hes refusing saying i MUST PAY the 29 dollars im breaching e-bay

what does the panel think :)

know it stated the post - but most people are flexible

You say record is worth $50 + $7 postage = $57

you won for $27 + $29 postage = $56

he didn't get what he wanted for it so ups the postage !

Social source share

postage was already stated at 29 dollars priority mail on e-bay page

but i though most people say ok

i will send normal for 6-8 dollars

which he refused saying if it got lost-he would be out of pocket with a claim

thats why i agreed in end to pay it

record came in a used mailer and no card wrapped in tissue

Social source share

I have to say if the postage is stated up front I just consider it as part of the price i.e. as if the opening bid was $29 higher and bid accordingly.

This one though is a very different matter and a worrying development. Check the small print in red at the bottom of the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yvonne-Violets-Cross-My-Heart-VG-Extremely-Rare-Barry-Records-/290668348593?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item43ad2f04b1

He previously had it listed with the same small print but a lower starting price and go no bids so for some reason keeps the small print and put the start price up. Crackpot

Social source share

I have to say if the postage is stated up front I just consider it as part of the price i.e. as if the opening bid was $29 higher and bid accordingly.

This one though is a very different matter and a worrying development. Check the small print in red at the bottom of the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/...=item43ad2f04b1

He previously had it listed with the same small print but a lower starting price and go no bids so for some reason keeps the small print and put the start price up. Crackpot

i paid the 29 dollars ---- he sent it normal under 7 dollars
Social source share

I realise that Keith but what you paid is what you paid. If I was bidding against you I'd have included the fact of the postage considering my bid. If the postage was 9 dollars I would have bid $20 more. So you may not have won it in those circumstances.

Do as Bob advises put in a paypal claim, report him to ebay and give him a load of 1 stars in the feedback.

Social source share

It doesn't say what currency this 100.00 charge will be in though! It could be $'s £'s or Rupees for that matter, I'd go for Rupees myself :yes:

:lol: Given the auction is in dollars I'm sure he'll try and charge dollars to whoever buys it without noticing the small print. Imagine the money someone like Craig Moerer would have on deposit if he did something like this. :ohmy: Could be a nice earner :shhh::lol:

Social source share

Hi Keith,

What was the actual postage cost stated in the Ebay advert and for what service ?

If the advert was for $29 with shipping by Express or Priority, it appears it was sent incorrectly by standard airmail.

If it should have been Express / Priority go back and ask for a paypal refund as it was not shipped as per his advert and if he declines raise a paypal dispute as you have paid for so a service

which the seller did not adhere to.

Social source share

That's totally in violation of ebay policy, etc. Usually I would ask for a refund but since you already interacted with him, you should do a paypal claim for excessive postage (it's a specific option). You should them follow up with ebay (maybe call) to see if there's some way to report him. Then after everything is settled leave him a negative.

What was the seller's ID?

Social source share

Hi Keith,

What was the actual postage cost stated in the Ebay advert and for what service ?

If the advert was for $29 with shipping by Express or Priority, it appears it was sent incorrectly by standard airmail.

If it should have been Express / Priority go back and ask for a paypal refund as it was not shipped as per his advert and if he declines raise a paypal dispute as you have paid for so a service

which the seller did not adhere to.

I usually would ask but he already interacted with him before shipping and the guy turned out to be a clear scumbag. There's no way he can claim it's an accident after the initial interaction.

Social source share

It sort of seems like someone who doesn't know how to deal with records rather than a pro sleazebag. I would ask for a partial refund of the excess shpping in this case first before going to paypal. If you don't want to and want to go to straight to paypal, that's also your perogative.

This is so awesome (they apparently sold this recently), I wish I had seen this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/370566284388#ht_500wt_974

Social source share

It sort of seems like someone who doesn't know how to deal with records rather than a pro sleazebag. I would ask for a partial refund of the excess shpping in this case first before going to paypal. If you don't want to and want to go to straight to paypal, that's also your perogative.

This is so awesome (they apparently sold this recently), I wish I had seen this:

https://www.ebay.com/...88#ht_500wt_974

Off topic I know, but Fek me - :ohmy: $4,500 for the Bin Laden poster.

I had one and gave it away :facepalm: .

:( - Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert