Dilemma.. Deposit Paid On 3 Of My Biggies And Then Nothing. What To Do ?

Suinoz

Got a bit of a dilemma concerning my recent sales. Never sold records before so may have been a bit naive on this occasion. Had someone pay me a decent deposit for 3 of my big ticket records from my first batch last week, saying the rest of the money would follow in a couple of day's as he had to transfer some funds. That was last Friday and as yet I have received nothing, plus the person in question won't answer my emails. I have offered to refund the deposit and put the records back in sales but if he won't reply HOW DO I STAND and for HOW LONG do i have to wait ?? My problem is I could have sold the records to other buyers and may have to re - list them if the money is not forthcoming. I work in a new car dealership here in Australia and we have to refund deposits if a customer has a good reason for not proceeding with the purchase. Has anyone had a similar situation and if so what was the outcome ?? Thankfully this is an isolated case as everyone else that has purchased for my last 2 lists have paid in good faith and their records have been shipped. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Got a bit of a dilemma concerning my recent sales. Never sold records before so may have been a bit naive on this occasion. Had someone pay me a decent deposit for 3 of my big ticket records from my first batch last week, saying the rest of the money would follow in a couple of day's as he had to transfer some funds. That was last Friday and as yet I have received nothing, plus the person in question won't answer my emails. I have offered to refund the deposit and put the records back in sales but if he won't reply HOW DO I STAND and for HOW LONG do i have to wait ?? My problem is I could have sold the records to other buyers and may have to re - list them if the money is not forthcoming. I work in a new car dealership here in Australia and we have to refund deposits if a customer has a good reason for not proceeding with the purchase. Has anyone had a similar situation and if so what was the outcome ?? Thankfully this is an isolated case as everyone else that has purchased for my last 2 lists have paid in good faith and their records have been shipped. Tony. OZ.

If it was through Ebay , seek their advise or paypal etc !

if not i assume you can follow the rules of your own country

Andy

Social source share

give it another week, if no reply then keep the deposit & sell them to someone else who was interested instead. people get busy & if they want their money back they can get it back through paypal, no big deal. if they sent it gift then you win win, keep the deposit money outright for them being slow & then cash in with whoever else was interested, that way you get even more money.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

give it another week, if no reply then keep the deposit & sell them to someone else who was interested instead. people get busy & if they want their money back they can get it back through paypal, no big deal. if they sent it gift then you win win, keep the deposit money outright for them being slow & then cash in with whoever else was interested, that way you get even more money.

Nice thought Kris but it was done via bank transfer. All i am worried about is any legal implications of selling them and all of a sudden this guy pops back on the scene and threatens to sue me. However i HAVE offered him his deposit back in an email. Might be a genuine reason for not getting back to me ie works offshore or something similar, but most people have internet access don't they ? I will give it another week and take my chances from there. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

Nice thought Kris but it was done via bank transfer. All i am worried about is any legal implications of selling them and all of a sudden this guy pops back on the scene and threatens to sue me. However i HAVE offered him his deposit back in an email. Might be a genuine reason for not getting back to me ie works offshore or something similar, but most people have internet access don't they ? I will give it another week and take my chances from there. Tony. OZ.

was there any explicit text about whether the deposit was refundable or not and if not, is there some legal default in the UK?

Social source share

just to be clear, i was only half serious about the keeping the money thing, forgot to add the " :wicked::D "

Social source share

When you said you'd accept the deposit, how long did you say you'd hold the records for? If it's gone over that period, email him one more time and tell him that if you haven't heard from him in 24 hours time, you will be refunding his money and selling the records to the next interested party. Anyone who was really interested would not go silent.

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I'd think that if the person leaving the deposit, who first became aware of Your sales through this site, may just be reading this thread and will hopefully get his/her arse into gear!

Fear of losing the deposit and losing the sale to someone else through piss poor communication should really be enough to initiate some kind of response. Even if it's just to say...I'm having a few problems getting the rest of the funds together, than total silence!

Teresa

Social source share

This really is in your court, provided the payment WAS NOT a gift, refund is simple, even if it was a 'gift' you could 'gift' the money to buyer and sell to someone else.

If someone has actually paid a deposit then I would think the likelihood is he will pay the balance.

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

Hello Tony,

If I were you I would send an email giving the guy x number of days to pay balance or you will assume contract terms have been unilaterally altered by him in that he did not pay balance when originally agreed.

You will then sell elsewhere at expiry of period.

Place his money on deposit and return to him when he surfaces ,..which he will no doubt!

Hope one of them records wasnt etty Wilson!

ATB

ROB

Social source share

It's only been a working week and the buyer could be away all week. Give him a few more days and then it is up to you what to do.

if i was spending that much money on vinyl i would be in constant contact with the seller,obviously i do not know the amount but common sense would tell you to keep in touch especially in this techno day & age. its not like buying off soul bowl in the 70s ffs.

kev

Social source share

Anything could have happened in the guy's life (a death or illness to someone close etc) I personally would wait two weeks, after that put the said records back on sale but keep his deposit safe for at least a month. Or if you able, in two weeks time when you put the records back on sale send him his deposit back with a kind 'e' mail. Something must have happened in his life to detract him from a) The money he's already sent and b) Leaving records he is expecting! - Come on anyone on here knows the antisipation waiting for a 'delivery' - Something very important must have happened.

All the best,

Len.

P.s - I nearly asked what the records were but thought that really is a bit sad of me! :D

Social source share

Were your prices keen? Could be he's out to make a fast buck on you and has to get his buyers cash to complete the deal.

:glare: Mmmmm - The 'Plot' thickens...I wonder if Frost would have 'cracked the case' :D (Not sure if Frost was shown in Aus - Frost was one of the best detectives known to England)... :D

***If it is something awful - Apologies in advance but this is a public forum and at this time, the 'why's and what for's' are anyone's guess ***

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Only what i'd do.Hold for a while before putting out another list.

Wasn't having a go it was a genunie question as I'm not sure I would hold off. It depends on circumstances and everybody is different.

If one deal is going sour and that shouldn't stop you entering into lots of others deals which are quite likely to be hassle free.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Should have been agreed at time of sale.

How long deposit would hold records for, when full payment expected by ; procedure if full payment wasn't made, who would bare costs etc................BUT like most these (and my deals) its largely based on trust.

You'll perhaps be more specific next time ; and be tad wary of the purchaser (unless there is indeed good reason).........

Social source share

I have an outcome at last. The customer finally got back to me and was very apologetic. Seems he did want to buy the 3 records and was quick to get in through fear of losing them and subsequently offered me a deposit, which i was happy to take. Now he say's he can't come up with the rest of the money ( and we are talking about a substantial sum ). I have offered to refund his deposit and will re-list them. Not worth getting into a war over money as i know i can move the 3 on with no trouble. He gave me a genuine personal reason for not proceeding with the deal and i'm an easy going sort of guy. Might have been a different story if they were going to be difficult records to re-sell. All's fair in love and war as they say. By the way he is not a soul source member so no need to name and shame. Am closing the thread now but thanks for all the comments and advice.

Social source share