Too Many Venues

Swaggy

I know we all have our regular soul nights which we visit but looking at the event guide for this month promoters need to take a long look. i live in Doncaster easy to access Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley etc in S. Yorks. Once upon a time we were lucky to have one night per weekend. Take the 1st w/e of this month Friday 3rd, 2 events in sheffield 1 in Barnsley 1 in Rotherham. Saturday 4th 3 events in Sheffield 1 in Rotherham 1 in Wath. The trend stays the same for the rest of the month come on now guys what do others think- waggy

Social source share

Right lets put this to bed !

THERE ARE TOO MANY VENUES NOT ENOUGH QUALITY

TOO MANY WANNA BE SOUL NIGHTS (MATES PLAYING FOR MATES)

I TRAVEL AT LEAST 200 MILES FOR MOST OF THE NIGHTS I GO TO !

IF YOU WANNA GO TO WHAT YOU LIKE THEN GO

IF YOU DONT THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE !

CAN WE HAVE INTELLEGENT COMMENTS RE SOUL RATHER THAN GENERAL PISH !

PEOPLE RUN SOUL NIGHTS SO THEY CAN DJ !

IF ITS NOT AN ALLNIGHTER THEN IN MY OPINION ITS A DISCO AND SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN THE TIME OF DAY !

ON THIS IT IS ONLY MY OPINION

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I know we all have our regular soul nights which we visit but looking at the event guide for this month promoters need to take a long look. i live in Doncaster easy to access Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley etc in S. Yorks. Once upon a time we were lucky to have one night per weekend. Take the 1st w/e of this month Friday 3rd, 2 events in sheffield 1 in Barnsley 1 in Rotherham. Saturday 4th 3 events in Sheffield 1 in Rotherham 1 in Wath. The trend stays the same for the rest of the month come on now guys what do others think- waggy

Hi Waggy,

Long time no see mate.

That's a bit like saying there are too many shops, parks, supermarkets, solicitors, football teams etc.

There's a bit more 'choice' around that in previous years.

As the poster above inferred, anyone can put on a Soul Night these days (even if it is only to play to their mates). We're not little boys anymore! So a lot of folk who would never have ventured into the deep waters of promoting (or DeeJaying) are now having a go... good luck to 'em, they'll rise or fall on their ability to please and entertain.

So where do you get to these days?

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

IF ITS NOT AN ALLNIGHTER THEN IN MY OPINION ITS A DISCO AND SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN THE TIME OF DAY !

Hi Roddy,

Put it to Bed ?? I think this has a lot of legs and will raise a lot of discussion, especially with the points ypou have raised.

I agree to an extent. There are an inordinate amount of Soul Nights around and a hell of a lot are not ones that I myself would frequent but ...

If people carry on going to them then who are we to denigrate them. If its not your ( or my ) cup of tea then we don't attend. As an earlier post says they 'should' sink or swim on their reputation.

You Travel 200 miles most weekends to Soul Events which must be local to a lot of folk. Travelling 200 Miles doesn't make it any better than Travelling 2 Miles to an event. That makes little sense. Its not a 'Who's got the biggest Nob' contest. its about quantity and quality.

Back in the early Seventies ' when we was kids ' there were Soul Nights on around the Chesterfield Area most every Night throughout the week. A hell of a lot of people would never have heard the music if it wasn't for these people spending their time and money putting on these local do's.

Room enough for everybody. You obviously are an educated man and know what you like as am I and I go to the places I like. I don't go to the places you like or Swaggy likes or Sean likes, I go to the ones I like, as it should be.

Enjoy your weekend, wherever you may venture my friend.

Tezza XXX

Social source share

Yep, that's the one that gets up my arras-a lot-why are nights considered less valid than allnighters??

There is more than one allnighter that is an Oldies fest, just as there is more than Soul night that is anything but....

Tony

The fact he asked for intelligent comments and then made that statement was the icing on the cake! :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I haven't been going to the Northern/Motown nights for that long on this my return. People keep telling me I am ignorant of the music and as I stopped going out around 72 I suppose I have missed a lot of the rare finds that now prevail - But - I remember some good stuff and when I get compilation CD's with the tracks I love and hope others do too. So I am going to have a stab at a venue in some months time with the music I don't hear when I am out. I hope other people will come as it used to be a 'steaming' venue and the word gets out thats its an enjoyable night there. I am not trying to make money at this, I just want to be a part of something good. I have been warned that I will be seriously moaned at by the 'chin scratchers' I just hope it will balance out with the people who enjoy it. I have already had difficulties in trying to get 'DJ's to give it a try. Seems to be a lot of 'Click' Politics out there, kind of reminds me of the Ice creams wars. Just hope I survive and bring some happiness into the world. This music is a great escape from the world and must have magical health benefits.

Sorry to go on and I suppose I will get the Bile again that I got on previous postings, Oh well

Edited by mikeyof
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

oh dear oh dear once more each to their own but ... !

the whole thing is meant to bve esoteric not obvious. It has never been about the biggest (knob nob) mouth its always about the music.

put it to bed as i said because it always becomes a pissing contest !

Edited by Roddy
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been going to the Northern/Motown nights for that long on this my return. People keep telling me I am ignorant of the music and as I stopped going out around 72 I suppose I have missed a lot of the rare finds that now prevail - But - I remember some good stuff and when I get compilation CD's with the tracks I love and hope others do too. So I am going to have a stab at a venue in some months time with the music I don't hear when I am out. I hope other people will come as it used to be a 'steaming' venue and the word gets out thats its an enjoyable night there. I am not trying to make money at this, I just want to be a part of something good. I have been warned that I will be seriously moaned at by the 'chin scratchers' I just hope it will balance out with the people who enjoy it. I have already had difficulties in trying to get 'DJ's to give it a try. Seems to be a lot of 'Click' Politics out there, kind of reminds me of the Ice creams wars. Just hope I survive and bring some happiness into the world. This music is a great escape from the world and must have magical health benefits.

Sorry to go on and I suppose I will get the Bile again that I got on previous postings, Oh well

Mate

Am I reading this post right, are you now a promoter?

If so 72 to 2012 is a big bloody jump, are you Neo?

Is your soul night called the nebuchadnezzar?

Hope you find the truth and your night does well, cos

I for one am in need of saving, now wheres those bloody pills :D

Edited by dekka
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

every thing you say is 100% correct 'mates dj'ing for mates and to many wanna be dj 's run soul nights play boots and re-issues and attract crowd who know nothing about rare soul very sad state of affair.

Edited by giant
Social source share

So, genuine curiosity here. Are all these 'DJ's' at all these venues, being paid for their services? Or is it for the love of the music?

The DJs are and should be paid for there service's as they then use the funds to buy more Vinyl and pay for their Fuel ( expensive these days !! ) Some times they are not paid as the venue isn't that well attended and its then for 'the love of the Music' or they are there to help a friend. There is nothing wrong in playing for a freind and reciprocating the offer as long as it doesn't become the Norm but who are we to tell someone how to run an event ?!

Social source share

but who are we to tell someone how to run an event ?!

Us, the people on the Scene, we are entitled to make it loud and clear what we want from an event and to attend or not attend as and when we choose......Whether "Ëœpromoters' listen or take any notice, well that is entirely up to them of course.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You are right Len but seldom get negative feedback. Always a pat on the back and 'keep up the good work' I ask for honest feedback on our Web Site so we can 'put things right' but don't get any. Never see it on SS - but that's a whole other thread !!

The only way punters can and do make a point is by not attending which is a very powerful and sometimes terminal statement.

Social source share

You are right Len but seldom get negative feedback. Always a pat on the back and 'keep up the good work' I ask for honest feedback on our Web Site so we can 'put things right' but don't get any. Never see it on SS - but that's a whole other thread !!

The only way punters can and do make a point is by not attending which is a very powerful and sometimes terminal statement.

Absolutely right, but some venues carry on regardless of low attendance which I find puzzling as it just adds to the 'splintering' of the Scene.

It's good to hear you welcome feedback, whether it is positive or negative, there's nothing wrong with negative feedback as long it's constructive.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

we started our little club in nuneaton up stairs in a pub, cos we wanted to play underplayed stuff, we knew we wouldn't get many in, but carry on regardless & we don't make a penny, any door money goes straight to the guest dj & to the mate who supplies the equipment :wink:

Keep the faith folk, & remember it's horses for courses

Atb...Rob :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

but some venues carry on regardless of low attendance which I find puzzling as it just adds to the 'splintering' of the Scene.

So any venue with low attendance should close - combine this with the other reply above saying only Niters matter then we may as well just have a Stoke allnighter every week....

Oh fooking Joy!!!..

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

we started our little club in nuneaton up stairs in a pub, cos we wanted to play underplayed stuff, we knew we wouldn't get many in, but carry on regardless & we don't make a penny, any door money goes straight to the guest dj & to the mate who supplies the equipment :wink:

Keep the faith folk, & remember it's horses for courses

Atb...Rob :thumbsup:

Yes, I think there is an 'exception to the rule' if it's an 'upfront / 'something different' night.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

So any venue with low attendance should close - combine this with other reply above saying only Niters matter then we may as well just have a Stoke allnighter every week....

Oh fooking Joy!!!..

I think it would be healthy for the scene if some did.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Think one point has been overlooked on this subject, years ago when pubs clubs etc. were doing ok, a lot of them wouldnt give those strange "Northern Soul types" the time of day if they wanted to book a room . However times have changed now and these club etc. are desperate to survive in many cases.

I have been approached by 2 venues this year with the view to holding nights there...declined both as didnt feel there was room in the area and the venues werent right.

Does show though that its not just wanna be djs etc. fuelling this problem, people are being offered an easy platform to stage an event, wether they are cut out for it or not, which wasnt the case years back

Im sure Len will recount some of the issues He had with the Embankment in the early days.

Edited by GOGOPRO
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Good point Jem, also the licence laws changed so All-nighters are able to happen in most places as well nowadays. Back then, it was almost impossible to get a venue to have an event that went on all night.

Chr*t, sometimes I had to stand in front of 'The Committee' at working men's clubs to 'sell the idea' ...I won them over by saying "I don't really like the music they play nowadays, I kind of like the 60's more, do you know what I mean?"......"Woooh, yeh, now ya talking Son, that's the best blo*dy music"....It worked like a dream! :yes::D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I won them over by saying "I don't really like the music they play nowadays, I kind of like the 60's more, do you know what I mean?"......"Woooh, yeh, now ya talking Son, that's the best blo*dy music"....It worked like a dream! :yes::D

Crafty bleeder :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

unfortunately these were the reasons we decided to put groovesville on the back burner for the time being.

the huge amount of nights currently running is madness imho, there is little or no joy in running a night with low numbers regardless of whether they are being attended by mates or not. i am sure that some organisers would rather run a club with poor attendance than 'lose face' in front of their peers. sometimes it takes bigger cahones and a hell of a lot longer to explain to people your reasons for closing a night than it does to give them a reason for why you are flogging a dead horse

it never fails to give me an inner grin though when i am asked

"why arent you doing it anymore? i loved those nights they were great!"

oh yeah?so where were you for the last 2 years then?

:P:g::rofl: tw*ts

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

I think it would be healthy for the scene if some did.

All the best,

Len.

.... and I'd agree with you Len, but lets be honest it's not going to happen, and even if it did who's going to decide and on what criteria?, would it be down to attendance? or Music policy? or just the size of the barmaids tits?....

IMHO we need to bring everything and everybody 'back' under one roof and one banner meaning EVERYONE attending a 'Soul Nite' would always be exposed to at least some new/different music AND in doing so the promoter/DJ wouldn't have to worry about half his attendance running off to the other 15 venues around the corner because they're playing Ruby Andrews on the hour EVERY hour........ but I doubt any of thats going to happen either!. :lol:

Social source share

How many times has there been promoters in agreement about dates and one of them goes back on their word to hold a so-called "one-off"?

Which then becomes a regular occurence :yes:

I also have seen promoters back away from dates to leave space in between months and Jack the Lad plonks a date right in the middle.

You can't prevent the ones waiting on an opening I'm afraid :glare:

H

• Helpful 2
Social source share

sooner be at a venue where 30 get it, than at a venue where 200 dont

I often hear that or similar......"ÂI'd rather 30 "ËœProper' people than 200 that don't get it"Â.....Surely that doesn't make sense - do the Math!.....30 x £5.00 = £150.00 / 200 x £5.00 = £1,000.00! :D

......Only joking! (Said in case it didn't come across in this strange cyber world!) :huh:

I know what you mean :thumbsup:

I'm not saying which venues should close, the fact is (and I'm wincing for saying this "Ëœagain'!) There are too many venues and maybe some should ask themselves if they are really adding anything to the scene that's all, nothing malicious intended.

All the best,

P.s — Where do we stand on playing original vinyl?..... :elvis:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

.... and I'd agree with you Len, but lets be honest it's not going to happen, and even if it did who's going to decide and on what criteria?, would it be down to attendance? or Music policy? or just the size of the barmaids tits?....

IMHO we need to bring everything and everybody 'back' under one roof and one banner meaning EVERYONE attending a 'Soul Nite' would always be exposed to at least some new/different music AND in doing so the promoter/DJ wouldn't have to worry about half his attendance running off to the other 15 venues around the corner because they're playing Ruby Andrews on the hour EVERY hour........ but I doubt any of thats going to happen either!. :lol:

You're right mate, it's not going to happen. A few years back I said on a thread "Ëœwhy don't we stop all events within a 50 mile radius and have one "Ëœbig fat juicy' one that we all attend?'....Admittedly, I did follow it with....'But who would D.J?....there lies the problem'

....But I meant well because it's obvious to me, but I got absolutely slated for it — "ËœWho the f*ck's he think he is?' etc, etc.

There's so many events on now, I don't even bother looking what's on - I just go to places I know.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

unfortunately these were the reasons we decided to put groovesville on the back burner for the time being.

the huge amount of nights currently running is madness imho, there is little or no joy in running a night with low numbers regardless of whether they are being attended by mates or not. i am sure that some organisers would rather run a club with poor attendance than 'lose face' in front of their peers. sometimes it takes bigger cahones and a hell of a lot longer to explain to people your reasons for closing a night than it does to give them a reason for why you are flogging a dead horse

it never fails to give me an inner grin though when i am asked

"why arent you doing it anymore? i loved those nights they were great!"

oh yeah?so where were you for the last 2 years then?

:P:g::rofl: tw*ts

Same with us at the Attic Andy :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Think one point has been overlooked on this subject, years ago when pubs clubs etc. were doing ok, a lot of them wouldnt give those strange "Northern Soul types" the time of day if they wanted to book a room . However times have changed now and these club etc. are desperate to survive in many cases.

I have been approached by 2 venues this year with the view to holding nights there...declined both as didnt feel there was room in the area and the venues werent right.

Does show though that its not just wanna be djs etc. fuelling this problem, people are being offered an easy platform to stage an event, wether they are cut out for it or not, which wasnt the case years back

Im sure Len will recount some of the issues He had with the Embankment in the early days.

Good point, get the northern soul types in you pretty much have a captive audience, and bar revenues boosted

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!