Garland Green - Girl I Love You (Gamma)

Hi everyone

Garland Green's "Girl I Love You" while being released originally on Gamma records (from Chicago I believe) was reputedly recorded in Detroit - but which studio, and can anyone tell me more please?

I have heard the track was recorded at Golden World Studios, but have not been able to re-find the info anywhere. Can anyone confirm please?

Also, anyone got session dates, session players etc.?

While I'm at it, was the whole LP that this track comes from recorded at the same session?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Im a bit out of date but i believe there is only one actual demo on Gamma, owned by Ginger Taylor. I have seen a rough copy on a white label though. No Demo writing on label.

Anyone confirm?

Ginger certainly has a one for sure but there are others around also. I'm not sure Ginger's has any promo text? Think the promo is just plain white.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

there are a bunch of promos in popsike. i never thought this was detroit produced but I see "produced by Armstead & Terry" so it probably was.

Although it's Armstead & Terry produced, it was done in Chicago according to Mike Terry.

quote below from the interview with Mike Terry on my site:

"MT: That really sticks out in my mind, J J Barnes 'Baby Please Come Home', I like that song, Garland Green 'Jealous Kinda Fella', stuff I did with him in Chicago, when I was working with Josie Armstead, Great great sounds over there, and I remember that very strong because I was at a turning point. The Little Foxes ‘cause that’s when I first started writing for strings and I remember that because I couldn’t hear strings at first. Till somebody told me where they were at, then all of a sudden I heard it, you know. They would be some of the ones that stick out in my mind"

The whole interview is here https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/inter2.htm

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Although it's Armstead & Terry produced, it was done in Chicago according to Mike Terry.

quote below from the interview with Mike Terry on my site:

"MT: That really sticks out in my mind, J J Barnes 'Baby Please Come Home', I like that song, Garland Green 'Jealous Kinda Fella', stuff I did with him in Chicago, when I was working with Josie Armstead, Great great sounds over there, and I remember that very strong because I was at a turning point. The Little Foxes ‘cause that’s when I first started writing for strings and I remember that because I couldn’t hear strings at first. Till somebody told me where they were at, then all of a sudden I heard it, you know. They would be some of the ones that stick out in my mind"

The whole interview is here https://www.soulfulki....net/inter2.htm

Yes. Mike Terry produced some of Jo Armstead's sessions in Detroit, as well as some in Chicago. He worked for others in Chicago, as well (Bridges, Knight & Eaton). Of course, he also worked in Detroit for the latter, as well.

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Ginger certainly has a one for sure but there are others around also. I'm not sure Ginger's has any promo text? Think the promo is just plain white.

Regards,

Dave

Gingers copy is indeed white with a bold black star at about "8pm" but no text Dave as you state

Regards

DF

Social source share

I hate to muddy the water on the Detroit/ Chicago debate but in an interview with Jo Armstead

she specifically mentions all the Garland Green tracks being cut in Detroit (Soul Survivor # 5) .

Also, in the liner notes to "The Very Best Of Garland Green" on Kent, the tracks "Girl I Love You"

and "It Rained...." are also named as Detroit tracks.

Social source share

Good man Chalky!

I'm sure I read this was Golden World studios. It was his first single wasn't it? The album that followed could have been Chicago recorded maybe?

John - the new Manship's guide also mentions a light green label I think. Presumably that will be one of the blue ones you mentioned?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Good man Chalky!

I'm sure I read this was Golden World studios. It was his first single wasn't it? The album that followed could have been Chicago recorded maybe?

John - the new Manship's guide also mentions a light green label I think. Presumably that will be one of the blue ones you mentioned?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

Assume this is the 'Blue' label variety mentioned by John Reed? Although it could be a greeny-blue to some I guess?

Quality tune whatever the colour :yes:

Cheers,

Eddie

Social source share

I know of three label variations of the Gamma release.

• White Demo with writing credits as Shelley Fisher, time of 2:35
  • Blue Issue with writing credits as Fisher, time of 2:35
  • Blue Issue with writing credits as Fisher, time of 2:05

John - quick look at popsike shows blue issues with either 2:35 or 2:05 but both are credited Fisher

The other side is 2:35 - could it just be a simple typo?

30 seconds is a big difference in time - surely we would have noticed the different versions?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I hate to muddy the water on the Detroit/ Chicago debate but in an interview with Jo Armstead

she specifically mentions all the Garland Green tracks being cut in Detroit (Soul Survivor # 5) .

Also, in the liner notes to "The Very Best Of Garland Green" on Kent, the tracks "Girl I Love You"

and "It Rained...." are also named as Detroit tracks.

I heard, years ago, that the tracks for both sides were recorded in Detroit, but Green's vocals were recorded in Chicago. I've also heard that the track for "It Rained 40 Days and Nights" was recorded in Detroit, while "Girl, I Love You" was recorded in Chicago.

Social source share

Interesting to see that Gamma record jacket. I don't believe that is from Jo Armstead's Gamma Records (but, rather a "foreign" Gamma label (Discos Gamma?). All the stock copies I've ever seen were that same blue-green (loosely turquoise) colour (including my own copy). I've never seen the white DJ in circulation (only a scan). I've seen both the Shelley Fisher and "Fisher" credit pressing on blue-green store stock.

Social source share

What about the version of 'It Rained 40 Days & Nights' by Little Jimmy Scott on Giant? I always assumed that was a Detroit recording regardless of the Chicago address on the label. Mike Terry on production credits.

Yes, that was definitely recorded in Detroit (according to Ron Murphy). Jimmy Scott was a Detroiter, and most (but not all) of Mike Terry's work for Jo Armstead was done in Detroit (although many of Bobby Hutton's and Jo Armstead's recordings were made in Chicago).

Social source share

I'm quite happy to accept that Mike Terry is wrong in his interview. His recollections on certain aspects of his career were hazy

to say the least. Especially as with some tracks he went into the studio, recorded the music, and then never found out who did the vocal at a later session. I suppose it depends who remembers this particular aspect correctly, and I guess Garland Green is the best person to ask.

Social source share

Not heard anything yet Richard. He doesn't seem to active on his facebook page of late.

OK mate

Let me know if you do hear back please :D

Would like to know whether the vocals and/or backing track were Golden World, Detroit, Chicago etc.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• 7 months later...

I didn't know of the previous name?  I've only known him for the last 5 years, in which time he's been Gee-Field.  But yes, I had the pleasure of spending some time with him and his Dad when they were last in Europe, he's charming.  And fit as  :D

post-8338-0-94167700-1371517268_thumb.jp

Social source share

I didn't know of the previous name?  I've only known him for the last 5 years, in which time he's been Gee-Field.  But yes, I had the pleasure of spending some time with him and his Dad when they were last in Europe, he's charming.  And fit as  :D

attachicon.gifGarland Roz Gee-Field.jpg

I don't know what his full time job is now, but he used to be a personal trainer, so it makes sense that he would be fit.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!