Worst Ebay Experience - Also On Soul Source

Pete S

I am sure "Briank" will be here later to deny any of what's been said, fortunately I have copies of all correspondence which I am happy to provide for anyone to see. Nowhere did I claim the record was an original, and nowhere was I rude to the buyer. They have you over a barrel with the threat of negative feedback.

Ebay say they are powerless to remove the feedback but I can fill in a defamation form. The only way the feedback can be changed is by the person who left it.

Great.

wasting your time and energy filling in a defamation claim Pete - Ebay won' tdo jack shit - move on .. I can go better than that - sold a usa funk 45 mint condition - buyer emails and YES True - @ I can 't possibly play this it is not mint has a large hole in the middle @ Yes , it was a USA copy and I kindly explained that was how they pressed them had he never seen one before FFS !!!!

Social source share

wasting your time and energy filling in a defamation claim Pete - Ebay won' tdo jack shit - move on .. I can go better than that - sold a usa funk 45 mint condition - buyer emails and YES True - @ I can 't possibly play this it is not mint has a large hole in the middle @ Yes , it was a USA copy and I kindly explained that was how they pressed them had he never seen one before FFS !!!!

I got left a neutral for exactly the same thing Glyn, she said I should have informed her that the record had no centre, I thought it was obvious from the fact it was a USA import and there was a photo of it!

Social source share

I know Ebay has its fair share of f**kwits, but this really does take the biscuit - unbelievable!

Social source share

I had a similar experience albeit not with records.

I sold a perfectly good working printer to someone in Scotland. The printer was perfect and had been using it before listing it. Reason for selling was an upgrade.

I packaged the printer up in it's original box with lots of bubble wrap and polystyrene quavers, wrapped it up well and posted it by courier.

4 WEEKS later I recieve an ebay message "printer doesn't work, bringing up an error'. I replied, 'send it back I will will refund you although I said the printer was working perfectly when it was despatched'.

I got the printer back a week later only to find that it was a different printer and all the workings inside were loose. I wrote back saying that the printer was not the same, but I will refund you anyway, which I did just to avoid neg feedback.

A MONTH later I noticed a neg feedback on my profile and he had opened a case saying that I said the printer was a different one to what he had recieved. I wrote to eBay saying I had refunded him immediately and I opened a 'revise feedback' case, I heard nothing.

So now because of some C**T I have a neg feedback on my otherwise 2300 clean record and after being on ebay for 10 years.

Not fair at all, but ebay will not do anything to help sellers, it's all about buyers.

Buyers ebay name is gmg_logos,

BEWARE and add to you ebay block list.

Edited by Steve Luigi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I sold a perfectly good working printer to someone in Scotland. The printer was perfect and had been using it before listing it. Reason for selling was an upgrade.

I packaged the printer up in it's original box with lots of bubble wrap and polystyrene quavers, wrapped it up well and posted it by courier.

4 WEEKS later I recieve an ebay message "printer doesn't work, bringing up an error'. I replied, 'send it back I will will refund you although I said the printer was working perfectly when it was despatched'.

I got the printer back a week later only to find that it was a different printer and all the workings inside were loose. I wrote back saying that the printer was not the same, but I will refund you anyway, which I did just to avoid neg feedback.

A MONTH later I noticed a neg feedback on my profile and he had opened a case saying that I said the printer was a different one to what he had recieved. I wrote to eBay saying I had refunded him immediately and I opened a 'revise feedback' case, I heard nothing.

So now because of some C**T I have a neg feedback on my otherwise 2300 clean record and after being on ebay for 10 years.

Not fair at all, but ebay will not do anything to help sellers, it's all about buyers.

That is f*cking outrageous.

These people scour ebay looking for working versions of their broken items. It'd be best to photograph the serial numbers first.

Social source share

I put a coffee machine up recently for 99p no reserve and as I hadn't got any boxes I put the postage to "collection only" and also made a point of saying this in the listing. I just thought it was too good to throw away but according to my missus the new shiny expensive one made better coffee. I hoped I'd get the price of a pint out of it.

As the auction was proceeding, some doughnut sends me a message saying "I'm the high bidder but I can't collect so can you give me a buy it now price with the postage".

So I tell him I'm not posting it as it will only break and asked him to retract his bid.

The auction ends at about a fiver but the doughnut is the winning bidder. He again says he can't collect so I tell him that I'll offer it to the next highest bidder.

The second bidder turns out to also be a doughnut who lives at the other end of the country so doesn't take up the option.

I get back to first doughnut and tell him I'm going to cancel the transaction to get my selling fees back then relist the coffee machine.

The doughnut then pays for the coffee machine. :facepalm:

I am now a seller who has been paid but the buyer is not going to collect. I speak to the doughnut who says he has paid but doesn't want the coffee machine. I worry that I am still open to a neg so I phone ebay who tell me that as the item has been paid for it is between me and the buyer, they advise me to refund him minus the selling and paypal fees (which they will not give me back as he has paid). So that is what I did. ebay told me that if he leaves me a neg they will remove it but happily I didn't have to test this out.

The good end to this was that I relisted the coffee machine and it sold for a tenner! Somebody drove through from Leeds to pick it up as well. :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've read the replies here and thanks to 'boba' which he pretty much hit the nail on the head what I was thinking by the answers I was getting from Pete. This was the first time I bought from him and I do not know him at all.

When he threatened to report me I took this as the end losing all trust in him and rushed off to paypal to make the claim. I feel the copy sent is a repro/boot. I know that ebay does not like for sellers to list ''boots'' and I was thinking this is why it was listed the way it was when confirmed this by Johnmanship book that vinyl copies are reproductions. Using the Art Freeman 45 as an example ''Slippin' Around With You'' the book states that 'repro twice' and shows the first as a counterfeit. This tells me that repro = counterfeit or boot.

If Pete can prove to me without a doubt with some kind of documentation that it was a legit release by Smash I will be happy to retract the negative. I'd also like to hear from John Manship himself, if possible, why this in the book as a repo and not a legit release.

Social source share

Never mind what manship has to say about it Brian just do the decent thing and retract your feedback. You know you will eventually.

Pete Smith is a decent guy and has a deep knowledge of soul music.

I know as a business seller how important feedback is so please consider it.

Edited by craig W
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Next, he returns the record, which I have to pay almost £20 charges on myself because he puts the full value.

Was this because the parcel was picked up by customs service? If that is the case, then I am not sure that you required to pay the £20. At least here in Denmark, you wouldn't have to pay customs duty on returned goods. They have probably just assumed that you were the buyer, and then they charged you. The way to solve this here in Denmark is simply to get in touch with customs and provide them with some evidence that it is an item that has been returned. I think it should be sufficient to print some receipts from ebay and PayPal.

Also, in cases where you have to return a purchase, you are also entitled to have the money back that you may have paid to customs.

Edited by Preben
Social source share

Guest killiesoul

What a crock. If you don't know what you're buying don't blame the seller. The worst thing you've done is continue to complain when you've been refunded. You should be ashamed of yourself, grow up.

Well said he seems to be digging a deeper hole for himself ...he knows he is in the wrong ...surely !! he cant be that daft :huh:

Social source share

This guy, Brian Kirschenbaum, on here as BRAINK, on ebay as "tapes" people please beware if you ever come across him because he's made the past 2 weeks a misery for me, clueless people armed with Manship books are dangerous.

I advertised a kelly Garrett - Loves The Only Answer - Smash reissue on ebay, plainly described as a 2nd issue, which as we know is an all encompassing term for a pressing.

He buys it on a buy it now, then after he's bought it, he starts asking questions like is this a reissue or an original 2nd issue???

So I reply that to the best of my knowledge, it's a sanctioned reissue as I doubt if they would be bold enough to use the Mercury logo if it were an out and out boot. I don't know of another boot on Smash, but there are several 2nd issues. Also, I wasn't there when they were made, so how should I know, really? I just answered honestly.

Then, before he receives the record, he starts bombarding with emails and messages asking if it is an original reissue (?) and is it on vinyl or styrene because Manships book says it is a repro. I'm never claiming it to be anything else.

So I say send it back and you can have a full refund, there was never any doubt that I'd do this, I'm easy to deal with and just send it back if not happy.

He then goes on to tell me that I lied, that ALL second issues are in fact bootlegs (this includes Columbia Special Products, Okeh legit reissues, Smash and Mercury legit issues) and I lied!

Plus he sends me 7 messages via Soul Source in the space of about 3 hours, which force me to block him.

Next, he returns the record, which I have to pay almost £20 charges on myself because he puts the full value.

As soon as it arrives back, I refund his money.

So guess what he does next, he leaves me a negative feedback

" beware sells bootleg/repro sold as second issue-would not admit it was not orig. "

I was just about to make 10,000 positive feedbacks and he's just ruined the lot, for absolutely no reason apart from to be vindictive.

Firstly, it was him who decided to buy it not me, secondly I described it accurately, and thirdly I didn't even have to give him a refund by rights - and then he leaves sneaky, vindictive negative feedback. I never once said it was an original, if it were an original I would have not been selling it for £25 start price £50 buy it now, it would have been £175 buy it now. I NEVER said it was an original. But because Manships book says "repro", I get this sh*t. So thats it folks, please yourself if this is the sort of person you want to deal with, because I certainly don't. Fortunately I will send this out to over 5000 people later so people will know what to expect.

If I"ve done something wrong, I hold my hand up, but how petty and pathetic can one person be?

Does anyone have the phone number for ebay UK please?

this guy is total dick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soultan

If Pete can prove to me without a doubt with some kind of documentation that it was a legit release by Smash I will be happy to retract the negative. I'd also like to hear from John Manship himself, if possible, why this in the book as a repo and not a legit release.

JUST RETRACT THE NEGATIVE FFS

Social source share

I don't think Pete knows whether it was legit release, but he advertised it as "2nd issue", which isn't really a claim to legitimacy. I know you aren't familiar with the terminology that people overseas use to describe legit and illegitimate represses but that's pretty much it. Lots of times labels did custom presses just for the UK, other times they are straight bootlegs. I don't think Pete misrepresented the item, or that he has to prove anything. You didn't understand the terminology he was using. It's a misunderstanding. In the end he refunded you and after reading this thread you're still acting like he intentionally defrauded you. He didn't. I think Pete should issue a feedback revision request and you should accept it. I know it doesn't help that people are calling you names either when it was a misunderstanding, but now that everything is laid out here, you really shouldn't neg him. Especially since you're a seller too you should be able to have some perspective on this.

Neil Rushton, a guy who has run various record labels and licensed many many records for release, says it's legit. Tim Brown had it pressed in Canada through official channels along with the very first press of Tony Galla. Hence the sound quality. This is what I've been told by two people.

What the hell more can I do?

Social source share

Neil Rushton, a guy who has run various record labels and licensed many many records for release, says it's legit. Tim Brown had it pressed in Canada through official channels along with the very first press of Tony Galla. Hence the sound quality. This is what I've been told by two people.

What the hell more can I do?

Legit or not it doesn't matter, you didn't advertise it as such and he didn't fully understand your listing. He should revise his feedback imo.

Social source share

FIRST HE SHOULD HAVE CHECKED PETE'S EBAY FEEDBACK

AND LOOKED AT HIS 3 PAGES OF POSITIVE FEED BACK ON HERE

BEFORE LEAVING HIS NEG FEEDBACK

AT WORST HE SHOULD HAVE LEFT A NEUTRAL AFTER GETTING A FULL REFUND

TOTALLY OUT OF ORDER IMHO

KEV

and he didn't fully understand your listing.

THATS WHY YOU ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE NOT AFTER'

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

I'd also like to hear from John Manship himself, if possible, why this in the book as a repo and not a legit release.

Brian, and this is important, and also what this whole sad sorry mess seems to rotate around, a REPRO is not always a bootleg. Look at all those singles put out by Joe Boy and others, records that look almost identical to the originals but everyone knows that they aren't the originals. That's a repro. Not to be confused with a counterfeit which is set out to deceive from the start by looking identical to an original.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I put a coffee machine up recently for 99p no reserve and as I hadn't got any boxes I put the postage to "collection only" and also made a point of saying this in the listing. I just thought it was too good to throw away but according to my missus the new shiny expensive one made better coffee. I hoped I'd get the price of a pint out of it.

As the auction was proceeding, some doughnut sends me a message saying "I'm the high bidder but I can't collect so can you give me a buy it now price with the postage".

So I tell him I'm not posting it as it will only break and asked him to retract his bid.

The auction ends at about a fiver but the doughnut is the winning bidder. He again says he can't collect so I tell him that I'll offer it to the next highest bidder.

The second bidder turns out to also be a doughnut who lives at the other end of the country so doesn't take up the option.

I get back to first doughnut and tell him I'm going to cancel the transaction to get my selling fees back then relist the coffee machine.

The doughnut then pays for the coffee machine. :facepalm:

I am now a seller who has been paid but the buyer is not going to collect. I speak to the doughnut who says he has paid but doesn't want the coffee machine. I worry that I am still open to a neg so I phone ebay who tell me that as the item has been paid for it is between me and the buyer, they advise me to refund him minus the selling and paypal fees (which they will not give me back as he has paid). So that is what I did. ebay told me that if he leaves me a neg they will remove it but happily I didn't have to test this out.

The good end to this was that I relisted the coffee machine and it sold for a tenner! Somebody drove through from Leeds to pick it up as well. :D

That's logical - coffee and doughnuts go hand in hand, Paul!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Brian

Right or wrong ( and Pete's right )

Do your research first before you moan.

and when you've moaned and got your money back and everyone's wasted

a ton of time on this - Don't be a pillock and leave a neg.

Take it back.

You've done the wrong thing but you can still make it right.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nasty business when they got you by the Ebay knackers ay Pete?!

I sent a mint (£26) album to New Zealand only to have the guy come back and say it was trashed to the point it wouldn't play and he'd thrown it in the bin - asked him to return it and was told it would cost £14 to do so at which point he said he would leave me neg feedback for reviewing the condition so incorrectly, so had to refund him the £26.

He got the album and his cash back - some dodgy, dodgy agenda-ridden basket cases out there.

Had exactly that same experience. A Motown Albumn that looked in excellent nick but the buyer insisted that it was 'unplayable'. When its 'the other side of the globe' its a nightmare.

Just done 2 'On Faith' Postages and heard nothing from the buyers since. My own stupid fault for having faith in peoples honesty, will wait till I get Payment in future

Social source share

One more twat to add to my blocked bidder list.................yes, you "tapes".

Yes Sir,i thank YOU kindly for the one dose of shitty feedback which 'blots' my copybook on here.You were quick enough to get on your venemous pc keyboard prior to actually establishing the true nature of the problem i had.I think i'm still blocked, at least i very much hope so.Les Ash.
Social source share

Yes Sir,i thank YOU kindly for the one dose of shitty feedback which 'blots' my copybook on here.You were quick enough to get on your venemous pc keyboard prior to actually establishing the true nature of the problem i had.I think i'm still blocked, at least i very much hope so.Les Ash.

I doubt this so-called 'problem' has anything to do with you messing around with members' sales, and leaving stupid comments on other threads. This time you picked on the wrong person, got the negative feedback you deserved, and prove in posts like this what a bad loser you are.

Therefore, it is with pleasure that I can assure you that you are still blocked. Far out, man!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I doubt this so-called 'problem' has anything to do with you messing around with members' sales, and leaving stupid comments on other threads. This time you picked on the wrong person, got the negative feedback you deserved, and prove in posts like this what a bad loser you are.

Therefore, it is with pleasure that I can assure you that you are still blocked. Far out, man!

You clearly missed the unreserved apology i posted.Which incidentally has since been mentioned on here by Rod Shard.Hey,ho you just don't get it that not everyone is as smart as you.Judge& jury etc etc.A loser? I don't think.Although Mick Smith thought i was dead when i saw him at Manchester record fair about 14 years ago!! Don't get out much you see.Far out!!
Social source share

You clearly missed the unreserved apology i posted.Which incidentally has since been mentioned on here by Rod Shard.Hey,ho you just don't get it that not everyone is as smart as you.Judge& jury etc etc.A loser? I don't think.Although Mick Smith thought i was dead when i saw him at Manchester record fair about 14 years ago!! Don't get out much you see.Far out!!

I saw the 'unreserved apology' - I just don't buy it. Judging by your other stupid, irrelevant posts on here, you're just a kid who likes trolling. By the way, do you only reserve records these days where profits are dedicated to charities, then?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I saw the 'unreserved apology' - I just don't buy it. Judging by your other stupid, irrelevant posts on here, you're just seen as a kid who likes trolling.

Guys this isn't really helping me get my problem sorted out. Gene, Les is a well known and experienced collector, especially of British, used to buy my mag back in the day, definitely not a kid or a troll.

Social source share

No it's alright mate you are free to say whatever you want, but that looked like it was going to spill over and get pretty nasty, so I impersonated a moderator :lol:

No worries mate - I'm just sorry for you with this situation with tapes. I really hope things sort themselves out for you. You're a 100% honest and reliable seller (and a good friend), and you really don't deserve all this.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Buyers ebay name is gmg_logos,

BEWARE and add to you ebay block list.

had the opposite.i bought a cd multi copier of guy on ebay.only used a few times he said.when it came covered in dents....anyway i didnt work,no lcd display.emailed guy & he said was working before sent.tried to blame courier(was packed so well & wasnt the couriers doing).said will put a claim in for compensation.thought was a bit dodgey & was pulling a fast one.i said not my fault & not waiting for a claim to get done.then he said will prob be a wire loose & could i not take it somewhere to get fixed.dont think so mate.

he seen sense & he sent courier to collect & did give me a refund after a while.he emailed me a week later & said it was just a wire came loose in transit & was now working.had the cheek to ask if i would still be wanting to buy it.no thanks,lol.

i suppose things like that can happen in transit.

i bought a new printer & left it on the floor.i forgot it was there & kicked it by mistake.now when i scan i have to give it thump to get it going,lol.

btw.pete i think what has happened to you is so unfair.always happens to the good ones.

Social source share

Off the record (scuse the pun)...had a chat with Pete earlier about the 'Long Arm Of The Soulie' ;0)...and I have, in the past given, had an Austrian lads windows put through after he stuffed me for a oner on a 12" on Ebay.

Be warned Suckers - some of us are more than able to bite your arses back.

Proper!!

hehe

Social source share

Before this topic slips away into oblivion, I'd just like to update it. Despite all of the above, the negative still remains, so it looks like I'm just going to have to take it on the chin and forget about it and move on. I remain extremely upset that this happened.

Thanks to everyone who backed me up on this, said nice things about me and offered solutions.

Obviously the buyer isn't interested in putting things right, he must be extremely proud of himself.

I remain amazed that I did not swear once throughout all of this :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I advertised a kelly Garrett - Loves The Only Answer - Smash reissue on ebay, plainly described as a 2nd issue, which as we know is an all encompassing term for a pressing.

Those Smash re-issues are legitimate, Once bought the Ambers as a pressie for Ian L, correct me if I'm wrong the only way to tell is the label

the styrene is the same as the original.

Selling records on Ebay is fraught with danger and I do question Ebay allowing a negative review if seller has been 100% refunded. There used to be a rebuttle line after a negative feedback, not sure if it's still there.

Social source share

If Pete feels this way I'll remove it. This leaves the fist option the only one left and I do not feel that can be met. John Manship has listed this as a repro/boot in his book for over 5 years and if he was wrong you guys would have objected to it by now, but this has not happened.

I've seen lots of garage 45 listed as repros and in their ads the sellers make it clear and in bold print "This is not an original" which was lacking in Petes' ad. He had about least amount of info there that could be used. If he had this in his ad I would not have made the purchase. Also,his replies to me I felt were evasive and misleading giving me mistrust in him which lead to this. Hopefully, this is the end and we can move on and learn by it.

Social source share

If Pete feels this way I'll remove it. This leaves the fist option the only one left and I do not feel that can be met. John Manship has listed this as a repro/boot in his book for over 5 years and if he was wrong you guys would have objected to it by now, but this has not happened.

I've seen lots of garage 45 listed as repros and in their ads the sellers make it clear and in bold print "This is not an original" which was lacking in Petes' ad. He had about least amount of info there that could be used. If he had this in his ad I would not have made the purchase. Also,his replies to me I felt were evasive and misleading giving me mistrust in him which lead to this. Hopefully, this is the end and we can move on and learn by it.

At least two people have come on to say that it's a licensed repro including one guy who owns Inferno records and licenses tons of stuff himself.

I've even told you who pressed it and in what country.

I said nothing evasive or misleading whatsoever, I wrote absolutely 100% truth in every single answer you gave me.

Unless you can show me otherwise, seeing as every single bit of correspondence is actually in public domain, including your offer.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share