Record Box Sales At Prestatyn Weekender

Record Box Sales at Prestatyn Weekender

Please be aware that all the Record/Merchandise dealers in the record bar area have paid for and booked stalls well in advance of attending the weekender. They have also paid for security when the Record bar/ Rooms are closed to the public.

To identify dealers they will be issued with badges / passes .No other sellers are now permitted in this or the adjacent bar area to use the tables/stalls.

However, this does not "bar" people from carrying a small "50" Box of trades/sales

with them as this is always part of the event. Please do not bring Large sales boxes into this area or you will be asked to remove them. Thank you.

Midnight Hour Web Team

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Netspeaky

Record Box Sales at Prestatyn Weekender

Please be aware that all the Record/Merchandise dealers in the record bar area have paid for and booked stalls well in advance of attending the weekender. They have also paid for security when the Record bar/ Rooms are closed to the public.

To identify dealers they will be issued with badges / passes .No other sellers are now permitted in this or the adjacent bar area to use the tables/stalls.

However, this does not "bar" people from carrying a small "50" Box of trades/sales

with them as this is always part of the event. Please do not bring Large sales boxes into this area or you will be asked to remove them. Thank you.

Midnight Hour Web Team

Have to say I agree with this last year, people who hadn't paid were in the dealer room withas many records as I had on my stall, I don't mind the 50 box but when I've paid it pisses you off to see someone with 600+ records set up unofficial stalls, and it's not cheap to have a stall by the way, you have to sell a bloody good record before you start making money. :lol:
Social source share

Have to say I agree with this last year, people who hadn't paid were in the dealer room withas many records as I had on my stall, I don't mind the 50 box but when I've paid it pisses you off to see someone with 600+ records set up unofficial stalls, and it's not cheap to have a stall by the way, you have to sell a bloody good record before you start making money. :lol:

Seconded !

Social source share

I'm not a record dealer but I think the fee should be nominal. What would the week-ender be like if no record dealers turned up!!!!!......

I know it's been covered before.....

Well it would be pretty unthinkable for a lot of people for sure, records and nighters/weekenders go together :yes:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

I know a few dealers who will not be takeing a table this year because of the hike in price from last year,the price is set by pontins and not the mid nite hour boys rob and john,maybe if a few got together and and voiced a little concern to the pointins management a better table price may be negotiated,and completely agree with dealers being upset by people setting up stall who havent paid.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

I know a few dealers who will not be takeing a table this year because of the hike in price from last year,the price is set by pontins and not the mid nite hour boys rob and john,maybe if a few got together and and voiced a little concern to the pointins management a better table price may be negotiated,and completely agree with dealers being upset by people setting up stall who havent paid.

There hasn't been a price hike this year, it's the same outrageous amount it was last year :yes:

The first year the tables were free, then it went to £50, then £80 plus VAT which works out at £94.00. If they could afford to do the tables free the first year when less people attended, you'd have thought the price would have stayed the same, it's just greed by Pontins.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

There hasn't been a price hike this year, it's the same outrageous amount it was last year :yes:

The first year the tables were free, then it went to £50, then £80 plus VAT which works out at £94.00. If they could afford to do the tables free the first year when less people attended, you'd have thought the price would have stayed the same, it's just greed by Pontins.

Dave can I ask, is this on top of the normal entrance money ?

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

good job its not at one of there pontinental camps as the euro is crap at the moment... :yes:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Its still way to dear dave,see you thurs m8 :yes: [all sales tables are free at middleton]

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Good God....I and many others am sure didn't realise that the record dealers paid any extra,there is no way I would have taken a box of 150 last year if had known,respect an all that,think it's disgusting,soon will have chaps around dancefloor with ticket machines,could charge extra when people wish to dance to rarer records.Don't Pontins charge enough for food,drinks etc,of course this is offset by the PLUSH accommadation,still mustn't grumble.Strange as it sounds I am only takin a 50 box this year (each tune will be priced at £1000)...just jokin',see you there :yes:

Social source share

I think this is absolutely disgusting and I think everyone should do something about this for next year .... petition or just like said above ... don't book any tables and just tell everyone your chalet number and they can have a brew whilst they're looking through your records :yes:

Social source share

Its a thin line, however some idiot bragged he'd taken £20,000 over the weekend in front of a member of the Pontins staff at the event, so they upped the price of the stalls. We have encouraged the dealers not selling this time to write and say why they haven't had stalls.

You can bring as many records as you like to sell, but as someone said earlier keep the main box in your apartment, then there is always the other argument that £20 a day for 4 days with security over 3 nights is not really that bad or expensive with 3,500 potential buys to look at your wares. You pays your money and makes your choice . so we are caught between the two sides .

The record bar is "sold out" by the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Yes. As I said earlier I have to sell a bloody good priced record before I start to make a profit, as I am not VAT registered I can't claim it back either. :yes: Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Last year was a disgrace......I have spoken to the concessions manager a few times about this years event and he has been brilliant....he really cares and wants the event to be in keeping with the tradition of having record sales to support an event. I did seriously think about not setting up this year but eventually i decided to go ahead. I do agree that £94 is excessive.......but as far as my record business goes its a good chance to meet some new people and have a chat to some customers etc etc.......

One dealer bragged to me that he took 20k last year.....i took £700 and it was hardly worth the effort....still a great weekend though!!

Look forward to seeing you there.........

Chris.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Last year was a disgrace......I have spoken to the concessions manager a few times about this years event and he has been brilliant....he really cares and wants the event to be in keeping with the tradition of having record sales to support an event. I did seriously think about not setting up this year but eventually i decided to go ahead. I do agree that £94 is excessive.......but as far as my record business goes its a good chance to meet some new people and have a chat to some customers etc etc.......

One dealer bragged to me that he took 20k last year.....i took £700 and it was hardly worth the effort....still a great weekend though!!

Look forward to seeing you there.........

Chris.

Chris I actually made a bloody loss, bought more than I sold yet again. whistling.gif:thumbsup:
Social source share

there you are, 2 respected sellers and thats the difference. However if a punter walks in with an under-priced box of sounds then a dealer will buy to re-sell or put them on their list.

it pays to keep your gob shut about the amount of money being taken at these events when "outsiders" are listening whistling.gif there are still bargains to be had if you look hard enough and many a wants list could be filled if you have enough cash !!!!

see you there.

Edited by consdad
Social source share

don't book any tables and just tell everyone your chalet number and they can have a brew whilst they're looking through your records wink.gif

Yeah, that's fine ! Do I have to bring my own booze or is this included in the invitation ? I'd flick through more boxes if there was a can of lager provided :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Its a thin line, however some idiot bragged he'd taken £20,000 over the weekend in front of a member of the Pontins staff at the event,

Didn't he get raided on the Monday and banged up for a five stretch though?

Social source share

I think this is absolutely disgusting and I think everyone should do something about this for next year .... petition or just like said above ... don't book any tables and just tell everyone your chalet number and they can have a brew whilst they're looking through your records :thumbsup:

BEST BUY MESELF A FLOATING TEA ERN

MIGHT MAKE A 0020.P PROFIT

:thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

At Prestatyn 3 years ago (maybe 4?) I set up a small stall, in a fairly empty record room,with a couple of boxes of records, some CD's and some books. All these were essentially the stock from my online store. I tried to find out who to pay for the tiny table I had but no one seemed interested. A couple of other people put record boxes on tables next to mine and we eventually swelled the record dealing room by a masssive 4 tables. Me and Jo wallace happily plied our wares (Oooh-err!) for the weekend.

On the Sunday some of the more miserable stall holders (Yes I know most of them are miserable) complained that I and the others hadn't paid and some jobsworth from Pontins came round and told us we had to pay 50 each. I paid up reasonably happily as I'd taken 2000 that weekend (and could claim the VAT back on the 50 charge) but a few were not at all happy. The thing that rankled was that the Pontins guy really enjoyed charging people the same for a 4 foot square table as they did for the acres some dealers had, he grinned about it all the time.

I think the dealers that were pissed off were the ones that were charging too much and thus not selling enough whistling.gif

Any large dealer is not going to be bothered at paying a ton for a weekend's stall as they are going to take in excess of 10000, it's the smaller guys who are put off. Perhaps charging for the space actually taken up could be thought about?

By the way that boxing avatar of Jtrouble's is the funniest thing I've seen for a while. Excellent timing and good footwork!

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

So was it worth it??? i took a small 50 box mainly well known stuff at various prices sold two, the friday seemed to be a little busy in the record room but not 'buzzing' the rest of the weekend it seemed dead!

Social source share

Sales down again this year (thanks, I suppose, to this bloomin internet thingy) and as something of a record dealer minnow I won't be paying for a table again next year unless there's a big drop in the price. It's just not worth it for me. I could be out and about enjoying the weekender instead of having to sit and look at John Weston and Dave Rimmer all weekend. It's a shame because I think weekenders benefit from having as many records on sale as possible. I appreciate the night-time security etc but the cost of that must be pretty piddling compared to what's taken from the dealers.

Of course I still managed to have a fabulous weekend - well done guys - and I'm now looking forward even more to next year....

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Sales down again this year (thanks, I suppose, to this bloomin internet thingy) and as something of a record dealer minnow I won't be paying for a table again next year unless there's a big drop in the price. It's just not worth it for me. I could be out and about enjoying the weekender instead of having to sit and look at John Weston and Dave Rimmer all weekend. It's a shame because I think weekenders benefit from having as many records on sale as possible. I appreciate the night-time security etc but the cost of that must be pretty piddling compared to what's taken from the dealers.

Of course I still managed to have a fabulous weekend - well done guys - and I'm now looking forward even more to next year....

Ben, don't be fooled with the arguement that you're paying for night time security, they are there any way due to the bars. My sales were down this year, by a third, but I reckon it's down to the number of people selling, as a local boy I have been selling at Prestatyn since day one and each year there has been more and more people selling records and related items so punters have a larger choice were to spend their money. My sales could also be down as I didn't stay open as long as I usually do. The cost is too high and the simple way around it would be that they didn't charge at all then there would be no arguement about an official dealer and an unoffical dealer. :lol:
Social source share

I appreciate the night-time security etc but the cost of that must be pretty piddling compared to what's taken from the dealers.

Ben, I sat having a conversation about this so called security thats included in the price, errr exactly what security I couldn't see. I was sat in the record bar early hours saturday morning and didn't see any. Tables covered in blankets and that was it, unless the blankets had been electrofied :(

Social source share

Ben, I sat having a conversation about this so called security thats included in the price, errr exactly what security I couldn't see. I was sat in the record bar early hours saturday morning and didn't see any. Tables covered in blankets and that was it, unless the blankets had been electrofied :(

Karen . They were electric blankets........ keeping the records warm :(

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert