Blackburn Nighters

Guest Baz

Really intrested to find out abit about these nights, was talking to a mate some time ago whilst listening to Doni Burdick (flipside to candle title escapes me whistling.gif ) that on his only visit to the venue it was all this kind of stuff all night, sounds like it would have been right up my street, tgot me thinking of this after reading the Johnny James thread in wants, so any info DJ's some regular spins ect, shame its not still running :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Really intrested to find out abit about these nights, was talking to a mate some time ago whilst listening to Doni Burdick (flipside to candle title escapes me :thumbsup: ) that on his only visit to the venue it was all this kind of stuff all night, sounds like it would have been right up my street, tgot me thinking of this after reading the Johnny James thread in wants, so any info DJ's some regular spins ect, shame its not still running :lol:

Hi Baz,depends the original Blakcburns where awesome,run by Guy H,and and the line up usualy consisted,of the likes of::Tony Smith,D Everard,Guy H,Ion Takcawotsits,Ken Darge,Ady Croasdell,etc;bus loads used come up from london by coach,pikc up point,my house,they made a documentry on Beeb,then all change!!new promoters think the old ones where offered a offer they where not allowed to refuse :lol: ,then just became a oldies type of thing,lost what made it great,and to my thinking as more to do with N/souls revival than anywhere,even Stafford,sort of a 100 club up north whistling.gif but better,but dont tell Ady :lol: hope this helps Baz?.best Ken.

Social source share

Really intrested to find out abit about these nights, was talking to a mate some time ago whilst listening to Doni Burdick (flipside to candle title escapes me whistling.gif ) that on his only visit to the venue it was all this kind of stuff all night, sounds like it would have been right up my street, tgot me thinking of this after reading the Johnny James thread in wants, so any info DJ's some regular spins ect, shame its not still running :thumbsup:

Flipside to Candle: "Watcha Gonna Do"

Anyway,

The Blackburn nighters were later promoted by MYK Promotions (Mick Lyons and friends). I was a regular. They were at Tony`s Empress Ballroom in the middle of Blackburn town centre. Everyone I know loved it even though the dance floor was a bit dodgy and needed a bit of maintenance -nobody cared. Everyone was too busy having a great time. Great atmosphere. I met some great people there. Still see some of `em nowadays.. Great days..

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Hi Baz,depends the original Blakcburns where awesome,run by Guy H,and and the line up usualy consisted,of the likes of::Tony Smith,D Everard,Guy H,Ion Takcawotsits,Ken Darge,Ady Croasdell,etc;bus loads used come up from london by coach,pikc up point,my house,they made a documentry on Beeb,then all change!!new promoters think the old ones where offered a offer they where not allowed to refuse :lol: ,then just became a oldies type of thing,lost what made it great,and to my thinking as more to do with N/souls revival than anywhere,even Stafford,sort of a 100 club up north whistling.gif but better,but dont tell Ady :thumbsup: hope this helps Baz?.best Ken.

Cheers Ken, sounds like a great line up, would have loved to have been able to catch one of Ions spots, sounds like he played some awsome stuff, is he still about?

P.S I wont tell Ady, but it'll cost ya :lol:

Any one know any regular spins from the nighters? Ken?

Anyway,

Thats it :lol:

Social source share

Hi Baz,depends the original Blakcburns where awesome,run by Guy H,and and the line up usualy consisted,of the likes of::Tony Smith,D Everard,Guy H,Ion Takcawotsits,Ken Darge,Ady Croasdell,etc;bus loads used come up from london by coach,pikc up point,my house,they made a documentry on Beeb,then all change!!new promoters think the old ones where offered a offer they where not allowed to refuse :shhh: ,then just became a oldies type of thing,lost what made it great,and to my thinking as more to do with N/souls revival than anywhere,even Stafford,sort of a 100 club up north :ohmy: but better,but dont tell Ady ph34r.gif hope this helps Baz?.best Ken.

I'll go along with what Ken said :ohmy: The ones run by Guy were fantastic :ohmy:

Went along a few years later (around 92/93 ?) with the new promotors and it was fcuking horrendous. Still anywhere that plays "black is black" followed by "green door" is regarded as awful in my humble opinion. Terrible playlists coupled with a filthy place does not a good night make - so I never went again :wicked:

Luckily for us soul snobs, Johnny Beggs ran Congleton and I went there instead :wicked:

Social source share

Anyway,

The Blackburn nighters were later promoted by MYK Promotions (Mick Lyons and friends). I was a regular. They were at Tony`s Empress Ballroom in the middle of Blackburn town centre. Everyone I know loved it even though the dance floor was a bit dodgy and needed a bit of maintenance -nobody cared. Everyone was too busy having a great time. Great atmosphere. I met some great people there. Still see some of `em nowadays.. Great days..

No you`re wrong :wicked: not the original!!,before it was taken over by MYK promo`s,i`ve been to loads of Blakcburns while promoted by MYK promo`s(little Scotty and Mrs on the door)but after the change not even close to what went before,but still had a laugh :wicked:

PS somebody who was there bakc me up?please..............Jon Bukc,T Smith........anybody? :ohmy:

Social source share

Hi Baz,depends the original Blakcburns where awesome,run by Guy H,and and the line up usualy consisted,of the likes of::Tony Smith,D Everard,Guy H,Ion Takcawotsits,Ken Darge,Ady Croasdell,etc;bus loads used come up from london by coach,pikc up point,my house,they made a documentry on Beeb,then all change!!new promoters think the old ones where offered a offer they where not allowed to refuse :wicked: ,then just became a oldies type of thing,lost what made it great,and to my thinking as more to do with N/souls revival than anywhere,even Stafford,sort of a 100 club up north :ohmy: but better,but dont tell Ady :wicked: hope this helps Baz?.best Ken.

Shaun Gibbons ( morecambe pier fame ) Used to run it originally if my memory serves me right. but thats by the by. Blackburn became the best nighter in the country imvho.from the 80,s thru till a couple of years ago when it finally closed. It did have some lean times, different promoters , music policy, dj,s etc. But overall it was a superb, dark, seedy and atmospheric venue. that is still missed.

Steve

Social source share

P.S I wont tell Ady, but it'll cost ya :shhh:

Any one know any regular spins from the nighters? Ken

Keb was the best DJ in the world then,after me :ohmy: as with his dancing too!, :wicked: so what do need to know?,you had to be there ph34r.gif bet somebody can post the documentry on Source,and you will see the original promotors,i think Caroline from London on the door?,and maybe hear some good tunes,i cant remember not seen it for years :wicked: would be intresting :ohmy:

:ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Shaun Gibbons ( morecambe pier fame ) Used to run it originally if my memory serves me right. but thats by the by. Blackburn became the best nighter in the country imvho.from the 80,s thru till a couple of years ago when it finally closed. It did have some lean times, different promoters , music policy, dj,s etc. But overall it was a superb, dark, seedy and atmospheric venue. that is still missed.

Steve

I will change that to "original succesfull upfront stomping not wishy washy nighter"is that goodenough for ya`.Fukc me!!i`m orf to Wigan sunday,hope i`m safe?

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

bet somebody can post the documentry on Source,and you will see the original promotors,i think Caroline from London on the door?,and maybe hear some good tunes,i cant remember not seen it for years :wicked: would be intresting :ohmy:

Ken, do you mean the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' thing? Caroline was going up the stairs carrying clothes inside a suit cover & a very young Ed was in shot towards the end of the doc? Haven't seen it for years, so my memory a bit hazy

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

No you`re wrong :ohmy: not the original!!,before it was taken over by MYK promo`s,i`ve been to loads of Blakcburns while promoted by MYK promo`s(little Scotty and Mrs on the door)but after the change not even close to what went before,but still had a laugh ph34r.gif

PS somebody who was there bakc me up?please..............Jon Bukc,T Smith........anybody? :wicked:

I'll back you up Ken, Guy's nighters were top notch :wicked: alweays the top dj's of the time.

Flyer attached :ohmy:

and another.....

post-225-1146313746.jpeg

post-225-1146313819.jpeg

Social source share

Steve

Did Shaun run it before Guy? Can only remember Guy originally about '86/'87. MIck Lyons taking over in later years but the music just wasn't the same which was a shame as it was decent venue. Guy later went on to another Tony's Empress Ballroom in Mexborough, some great nights there too.

Have the Old Grey Whistle Test on video, just copied it to DVD.

Social source share

Ken, do you mean the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' thing? Caroline was going up the stairs carrying clothes inside a suit cover & a very young Ed was in shot towards the end of the doc? Haven't seen it for years, so my memory a bit hazy

Yup!!thats the one :ohmy: i thinks there are clips of it flying around in cyber-space somewere,or even somewhere in soul/source`s vast arcive :wicked: of film clips?bet Guy was taking the dosh on the door ohmy.gif the man is that tight he only breath`s "in" :wicked:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Yup!!thats the one :shhh: i thinks there are clips of it flying around in cyber-space somewere,or even somewhere in soul/source`s vast arcive :ohmy: of film clips?bet Guy was taking the dosh on the door :ohmy: the man is that tight he only breath`s "in" :wicked:

:wicked:ph34r.gif:ohmy:

Social source share

Did Shaun run it before Guy? Can only remember Guy originally about '86/'87. MIck Lyons taking over in later years but the music just wasn't the same which was a shame as it was decent venue. Guy later went on to another Tony's Empress Ballroom in Mexborough, some great nights there too.

Yeah, Shaun run it for a bit just after the pier closed. before he made his money on the rave scene. Your dead right about the music not been the same but i still went as stated in a earlier post, i just loved the venue.

Steve

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

It was a great 'nighter though. I went up from London on Sean McCluskey's coach, with the late great Mr Chambers, amongst others.

By the time we people from the back of the coach had walked up the stairs & into the Ballroom, the people from the front of were already on the dancefloor. Says it all.

Social source share

I'll back you up Ken, Guy's nighters were top notch :ohmy: alweays the top dj's of the time.

Flyer attached :wicked:

and another.....

Good to see "taping encoraged" on the flyer :wicked:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Guy later went on to another Tony's Empress Ballroom in Mexborough, some great nights there too.

my favourite night of all time :wicked:

Social source share

I didn't know Shaun ran a niter there either Chalky ... thought Guy was the first to run one there!

Got to say it was fantastic there ... Guy's do's that is ... although not very well attended toward the end.

Can still see Rob Marriot DJing there and playing the Seashell's - Quiet Home ... the first time i had ever heard it ... me and Ady Harley sprinting to the decks to see what it was ...

TOP DAYS INDEED!

Not to say i didn't enjoy it there after Guy stopped running it .... because i did .... well sort of.

Had a good laugh ... but music wise ... nowhere near in the same league

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

my favourite night of all time :wicked:

Ye`!! they were pretty good too!,fantastic place............then the scene started to go a bit iffy then,night owl(Barnsley)Ritz(Manchester),but to even things up,Normington was on the ball then,and scotland was still drawing in the English punters,some smart times up there,i`ll tell ya` :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I didn't know Shaun ran a niter there either Chalky ... thought Guy was the first to run one there!

Got to say it was fantastic there ... Guy's do's that is ... although not very well attended toward the end.

Can still see Rob Marriot DJing there and playing the Seashell's - Quiet Home ... the first time i had ever heard it ... me and Ady Harley sprinting to the decks to see what it was ...

TOP DAYS INDEED!

Not to say i didin't enjoy it there after Guy stopped running it .... because i did .... well sort of.

Had a good laugh ... but music wise ... nowhere near in the same league

Blinding nighters when Guy ran them. I thought Shaun run another nighter across the street from Tony's on the same night! Sure I remember going to Guys nighter and nipping out to a Soul Promotions rival nighter for all of 10 minutes. Then ran back for the quality. Line up with , Guy, Keb, Rob M, Kitch, Butch, Colin, Jim W etc just couldnt be touched.

Social source share

Blinding nighters when Guy ran them. I thought Shaun run another nighter across the street from Tony's on the same night! Sure I remember going to Guys nighter and nipping out to a Soul Promotions rival nighter for all of 10 minutes. Then ran back for the quality. Line up with , Guy, Keb, Rob M, Kitch, Butch, Colin, Jim W etc just couldnt be touched.

I reckon you are right Byrney, I'll have to dig the Echoes out and check.

Social source share

Hi Baz,depends the original Blakcburns where awesome,run by Guy H,and and the line up usualy consisted,of the likes of::Tony Smith,D Everard,Guy H,Ion Takcawotsits,Ken Darge,Ady Croasdell,etc;bus loads used come up from london by coach,pikc up point,my house,they made a documentry on Beeb,then all change!!new promoters think the old ones where offered a offer they where not allowed to refuse :ohmy: ,then just became a oldies type of thing,lost what made it great,and to my thinking as more to do with N/souls revival than anywhere,even Stafford,sort of a 100 club up north :wicked: but better,but dont tell Ady biggrin.gif hope this helps Baz?.best Ken.

Hoops forgot butch,can everybody forgive me :wicked:

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

byrney, spot on again m8, guy ran the first blackburn, when other promoters ran the venue it never seemed to match the earlier ones.Once remember going over the xmas period in Mr Gibbons morris minor flat bed truck ( remeber it ), started snowing over the tops, nearly lost it twice over the hills, didnt expect it too be busy, it was packed, excellent night.

Social source share

Always a crowd of us from north of the border would come down in the back of Colin Law`s van,great days indeed.A really good record bar if memory serves me right and pleanty top sounds,Mac Staton ;Mello Souls,Debonaires on Soul Click ,I could go on all night.Proper hardcore Northern!!!!!

I`m sure Guy tried to sell a pair of Levis in the record bar one night when the record sales weren`t going to well. :thumbsup:

Edited by ANDY D
Social source share

As I remember it Shaun Gibbons ran a few oldies niters at Blackburn Kings hall same nights Guy had the best upfront DJ's playing quality music at Tonys Empress Ballroom.

Watch out on that documentry for some dodgy editing, Micheal Higgins from West Lothian does some fancy floorwork to the sound of the Magic Touch, very impressed how he changes his shirt during the moves :yes::yes: , well, you'll know what I mean when you see it!

Social source share

As I remember it Shaun Gibbons ran a few oldies niters at Blackburn Kings hall same nights Guy had the best upfront DJ's playing quality music at Tonys Empress Ballroom.

Watch out on that documentry for some dodgy editing, Micheal Higgins from West Lothian does some fancy floorwork to the sound of the Magic Touch, very impressed how he changes his shirt during the moves blush.gif:yes: , well, you'll know what I mean when you see it!

======

i on that film too

with my nice crisp white shirt....

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

post-1923-1147637763.jpgpost-1923-1147637429.jpg

Had many good nights when Guy/Ion ran this...great music and good company.

Remember Ozzy badgering people on the stairs one night,claiming he was Terry Christian wanting to interview them for the Word [tv music program]

Who was it that came up with the idea of the soultown combs? :hypo::ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

post-1923-1147637763.jpgpost-1923-1147637429.jpg

Remember Ozzy badgering people on the stairs one night,claiming he was Terry Christian wanting to interview them for the Word [tv music program]

Remember Ozzy, Mol, Chris Ashby, Daz etc all holding court at the top of the stairs near the toilet at most of Guy's doos (or round the fruit machine if a change of pace required). You'd get people heading up for the loos and quickly doing a full turn staright back down after bumping into that gurning mob :ohmy::D

Nighters never seem the same without having to put up with Ozzy turned up to full :hypo:

Social source share

Great niters in the 80s. Great record bar too. Lots of "wants" ticked off there: Had some good UK stuff in that record bar:

Hoagy Lands - SS Demo

Fathers Angels - MGM Demo

Mary Love - SS Demo

Rumblers - King

Chuck Jackson All his Pye stuff on Demos

L...o....t....s more.

Happy days.

Went along when they put the RnB room upstairs around 91(?). Not quite the same, but used to enjoy it when Rixy came up and did a bit. Record bar went pants too. DAMN!

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert