Eddie Parker On Manships Site

Sheldonsoul

Yes Ian, that`s where I got it from :lol:

Fascinating. I don't think it's so much he built the Thames Barrier, as they provide imagery of any terrain and the proceeds of such are sufficient to fund eight grand soul records...

We're in the wrong fookin business! :lol:

Social source share

Fascinating. I don't think it's so much he built the Thames Barrier, as they provide imagery of any terrain and the proceeds of such are sufficient to fund eight grand soul records...

I don't think he has even got anything to do with that site, as I said before, he's a member on here who posts regularly. Obviously doesn't want to get involved in this conversation in case I call him a mad bastard.

Social source share

I don't think he has even got anything to do with that site, as I said before, he's a member on here who posts regularly. Obviously doesn't want to get involved in this conversation in case I call him a mad bastard.

Equally fascinating. You can't think him mad for paying 8k for an Eddie Parker minter?

Social source share

It was actually tongue in cheek. :wink:
Social source share

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...
Guest tommycockle

I remember Chris. He certainly didn't have "I'm Gone" when we saw him. He did have some tidy Detroit pieces, if you remember he played us and Manship off against one another to bump the price of the stuff up, telling both parties the other had offered more. We missed out in the end.

Would have been a bit naive of me to take the first offer. The best stuff went in the early 70's. I shudder to think how much mid-paced plodding stuff I let go at low prices because, back then, everyone wanted fast speed to their music.

Social source share

Guest tommycockle

Not really Pete, I think we all smiled at each other but didn't trust anyone as far as you could throw them. Nigel Martin's connections

were far ahead of anybody else's, apart from Ian's I guess. A pal of mine had a relationship with a record shop in LA and he'd supply

just one copy of most records he'd ask for, only demos though including I might add a mint demo of Hit & Run.................................................

If we only knew then what we know now sad.png

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind words. London was a great place to find the new stuff at very low prices; and it didn't hurt to have several 

super sources across the pond. Nigel.

Social source share

Guest tommycockle

It's been a very, very long time ago but I do believe collector Nigel Martin had 3 copies. His dad worked for Canadian Pacific

and he bought records from Martin Koppel way before Martin K became universally known. Meethinks he asked for "Love you baby"

and Martin K said he didn't have it but did have a couple of copies of "I'm gone" (if Pete Smith reading this - Pete this is the bloke

you and I once visited - seem to remember he had some pretty decent stuff)

I never did ask for "Love You Baby" which had already peeked. As well as buying from his lists, Martin Koppel used to send me shipments of 50 singles for $50, I couldn't choose the contents but in each batch there were usually five to ten gems. He actually tried to buy back an Eddie Parker single, offering other vinyl to the value of £200. Chris, hope you're not still bitter - business is business, and boy did we enjoy that 18 month trip around Europe.

Nigel.

Edited by tommycockle
Social source share

Guest tommycockle

Nigel Martin lived here in Bishop's Stortford once and he invited me to go through his records. I don't recall seeing anything on AWAKE, but to be fair, I didn't know my arse from my elbow NS wise in those days as it was 1983 and I was 17.

Hi Simsy,

I remember your visit well. The best of my stuff went in the early 70's. In fact, my cow of a first wife insisted I sell all my records, thankfully I left two small boxes with my dear old Ma for many years - those were the ones you saw. Left Stortford in 1990, now live in Devon and am a Vintage Postcard dealer (sounds dull but I've always loved trading). 

Nigel.

Social source share

Hi Simsy,

I remember your visit well. The best of my stuff went in the early 70's. In fact, my cow of a first wife insisted I sell all my records, thankfully I left two small boxes with my dear old Ma for many years - those were the ones you saw. Left Stortford in 1990, now live in Devon and am a Vintage Postcard dealer (sounds dull but I've always loved trading). 

Nigel.

Sounds miles better than living in Wollaston!

My Nan used to collect old postcards, when she died my Mum 'inherited' them, there are hundreds and hundreds of them at her house, but what makes one vintage postcard collectable and one not?  Second thoughts, don't answer that, it's bad enough with matrix numbers!

Social source share

Guest tommycockle

Sounds miles better than living in Wollaston!

My Nan used to collect old postcards, when she died my Mum 'inherited' them, there are hundreds and hundreds of them at her house, but what makes one vintage postcard collectable and one not?  Second thoughts, don't answer that, it's bad enough with matrix numbers!

Hiya Pete,

I liked Wollaston a lot but we now live in a very rural location, but just one mile from the sea - our children love it. I'm going to my first Northern bash in twenty years next month in Torquay, I'm a bit excited. Value in collectables is the same across all types = rarity. There are millions of the seaside and cities which are worthless. If I had invested all my money in the right postcards back in the early 70's, and kept them, I would now be a multi-millionaire : crazy, just bits of paper.

Nige.

Social source share

Hiya Pete,

I liked Wollaston a lot but we now live in a very rural location, but just one mile from the sea - our children love it. I'm going to my first Northern bash in twenty years next month in Torquay, I'm a bit excited. Value in collectables is the same across all types = rarity. There are millions of the seaside and cities which are worthless. If I had invested all my money in the right postcards back in the early 70's, and kept them, I would now be a multi-millionaire : crazy, just bits of paper.

Nige.

There's now a giant Tesco just one mile away from Wollaston Nige.  Apart from that, still the same, except Yummies kebab shop in Stourbridge changed hands and now it's rubbish.

Well at least you may be seeing your team soon when they line up against Plymouth  :D

Social source share

Guest tommycockle

There's now a giant Tesco just one mile away from Wollaston Nige.  Apart from that, still the same, except Yummies kebab shop in Stourbridge changed hands and now it's rubbish.

Well at least you may be seeing your team soon when they line up against Plymouth  :D

Don't get too carried away with Doritos' Division One success!!!

Edited by tommycockle
Social source share

Hi Simsy,

Nigel.

Wow! Good to hear from you mate! Christ, where have 30 years gone?

I'd like another squint at those boxes! At 19 I knew precious little. Seriously though, that sounds great, Devon & vintage post card dealing. Happy for you mate and good to hear from you!

Social source share

Guest tommycockle

Wow! Good to hear from you mate! Christ, where have 30 years gone?

I'd like another squint at those boxes! At 19 I knew precious little. Seriously though, that sounds great, Devon & vintage post card dealing. Happy for you mate and good to hear from you!

All my Vinyl 45's (except some non-Soul Eps) went to John Manship in 2003; helped fund an eighteen month tour around Europe. Devon is just the COOLEST county

and old postcards are fun - off to Salzberg next month to an auction (spent euro thousands there last year). A big hello to Stortford.

Social source share

'Simsy', on 14 Feb 2013 - 5:31 PM, said:

We're in the wrong fookin business!

Dare I say it!

It could be a watershed moment and the floodgates are open

Sorry eeeek!

Clint

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!